Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DayZ Standalone

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Not until the gun sounds are fixed i'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cojack101

Ok so I roam Chernarus with my brother, and he turns to me today and says.. "hang on, I think we're bandits?"

On the light side when we meet new spawns we feed them - we try to avoid other players in hot zones - we don't snipe - we stick off the main road and travel through the woods as to minimize contact with other players.

On the dark side if we are in a hot zone like electro we dont take any chances and shoot first if we see a player with a firearm - if we are on the coast and someone with a firearm doesn't respond to friendly hails (or shouts friendly friendly and runs) we shoot first.

Are we unknowingly b***ards?

I despise the words "bandit" & "hero" in this game. Just play the game how you want & don't give a **** what others think. There are loads of ways to play it & no persons specific idea of the game is the "correct" way to play it.

The pvp aspect of this game is the reason the mod was big & a stand alone game was made. No other game(back when the mod was first released) gave you that adrenaline rush once you were in combat. The fact you can lose everything you have gained in the previous hours play time was fantastic. The zombies have always been pointless & only kill you by being glitchy sob's.

For me the best way to play this game is on hardcore/1st person mode & go to the northwest airfield to battle other squads. (A note on that: For PvP squad fights the game is unplayable until they fix the gun shot sounds)

So play the game how you want, if you enjoy what you are doing at the moment just keep at it. Ignore all the "OMG YOU KOS YOU ASSHOLE" **** you see on Reddit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I generally tend to go onto servers and sit in bushes and scream "I AM THE NIGHT" over voice chat. Alternatively I sneak up behind people and handcuff them and leave them. Tis great.

you are a penis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

...what is going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

lads would love to be on with you guys keep us up to date on what is happeneing with the action for the Halloween comp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Comp got ruined by hackers so postponed it for now until we get our private server up and running. Probably going to team up with another clan to get a group of servers going on the same private shard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Moved to PC Gaming as the discussions here seem to be more appropriate for the forum :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

had another go tonight. 2 hours running around, got a raincoat then had a zombie follow me no matter where i went in a city and attack me from beneath through walls. respawned, spent another two hours and found a pepper.

and that's me done for another few months anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 SimplyBlue

Finally finding good items anddd bam, died of hypothermia..

Ye guys should play the Vanilla mod or Dayzero mod. Much more polished game with lots to do in the way of end game scenarios. Standalone wont be playable until the hacking goes and the zombies are a whole lot less buggy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Raincoats are highly desirable now as they keep you from getting hypothermia and fires now warm you up so its curable. Its going in the right direction!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

They should do a weekend event of replacing bullets with water.

Death by hypothermia for all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Logged out with my ak101 in hand yesterday for an aul cuppa, came back on, AK gone bye bye! Now rocking a sawn off but not looking forward to a show down!

The loot on the persistent servers is a pain as well. Can't find any AK scopes, mags or ammo boxes.

But damn its scary coming up to a building door which has been locked by another player!

• Advertisement

For anyone interested in playing on private servers, we just got our shard up and running. All are welcome!

Cooperative Shard Alliance
    About
    In the spirit of cooperation and in response to frequent attacks on our public servers by those using hacks, the =UN= and Z.A.P have formed a private multi server shard. The C.S.A will initially begin with 2 servers with a view to expand and to incorporate other like minded communities in the future.
    We are looking for individuals/groups and clans to join our community and play DayZ as it was meant to be played. There are no restrictions to player behavior or playstyle with the exception of hacking, which will be dealt with harshly. Bandits/ Heroes/ Survivalists and those just looking for player interaction are all welcome.

Server Information
    Both servers are linked and character data is shared across both servers.

Host: Fragnet
    Persistence: Temporarily Disabled
    Restart schedule: 4hr
    Server Start Time: 7am

Server 1:(50 Slots)
    [=UN=/-ZaP-] DayZ Private Hive #1 - hosted by Fragnet.net
    IP: 192.210.238.84:2502
    b_560_95_1.png

Server 2:(40 Slots)
    [=UN=/-ZaP-] DayZ Private Hive #2 - hosted by Fragnet.net
    IP: 192.3.53.50:2402
    b_560_95_1.png
    Teamspeak Info

=UN= : ts.the-unclan.com:10053

Zap: ts3.zapgaming.net

Websites

=UN=: http://the-unclan.com

Zap: http://www.zapgaming.net
    YB0h24o.png 0Ij7o6V.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Is the game worth jumping in to yet or is there still loads to get sorted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Kunkka wrote: »
    Is the game worth jumping in to yet or is there still loads to get sorted?

Still loads to be sorted, it is by no means a polished experience.

That said, I have played it for over 300 hours so there is something there :D

I will say that you should play with a clan and use teamspeak. Its a completely different game and much more enjoyable than playing alone.

Yea.

Got on last night after being away for few months. Not much has changed in those months.

Running around with nothing - still get shot at and killed from god knows where. Pretty pathetic.

I always give noobs a free pass. I guess everyone else is an a$$hole :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,564 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Um...been playing this for a couple of weeks and I'm getting fed up now.

There's waaaay too many dickheads on most of the servers who are just going to blow you away for no reason. Most of these dicks are already tooled up, better than you in the vast majority of cases.

Tonight, I walked into some clown. He's got a shooting weapon of some sort and kitted out in military gear. I say "friendly". I had an axe, a raincoat and a tin of beans. I was just going to pass by on my search for some food and he starts to fire. Says nothing. So I run and this dickhead gives chase...for miles into a forrest.

Eventually, I'm so wounded that my legs break. I go to 3rd person and see dickhead approach and shoot again.

I just hit esc.

It's getting boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

that sounds more exciting than anything that ever happened to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

I personally think you should be allowed spawn with a particular firearm with limited bullets so that when you do encounter others with guns they think twice before starting a gun fight in case they die and lose all your their gear. If you can spawn with a torch surely you can spawn with a pistol and ten bullets. If you do happen to break your legs the ability to shoot your brains out would be nice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 anticonscience

The Motorola watch looks excellent. Might be tempted closer to Christmas as a present for myself.
    What watch would you guys consider the best ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

wrong thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

To be fair, it's completely luck of the draw in this game of whom you happen to run into, last night I walked into the Fire Station in Cherno (didn't hear a thing inside). Only to be confronted by 4 heavily armed guys. I was unarmed and before I could even put my hands up to surrender, I was dead with the sound of bullets still hitting my body even after I was dead. They were probably frothing at the mouth at their self gratifying kill.

Compare it to when I spawned after, up North. Met someone friendly in the apartments/bell tower. We both had guns, had a chat and went on our merry seperate ways without a single shot fired.

But the ratio between the incidents are usually more leaning towards hostile players. In those instances it's really up to you how you handle the situation and I think it's why so many people play the game.

I think what 'DayZ' really needs is more zombies. Waaaay more zombies, that'll seriously cause havoc if a weapon is fired in their vicinity. That mechanic is already there, as I've had about 5 or 6 of them react to one of my gun shots in one of the larger towns, but those events are too few and far between.

Now, if that was about 10 or more, it would really make you think about using/wasting that shot. Plus, snipers can feck off too. Any sniper on top of a building will draw a ton of zombies to their location and give it away to other players, allowing them to circumvent those gobshites.

Snipers in a post-apocalyptic game :rolleyes:

Another thing that's needed is to get rid of the powerful automatic weapons. No M4's. Shotguns, rifles, pistols only.

Machine guns are too far a step, IMO, and allows KoS gombeens to engage in their stupidity too easily. Or, make their ammo even more rare, so people with that weapon will use them in an emergency against large numbers of zombies, instead just being KoS dicks.

Tony EH wrote: »
    I think what 'DayZ' really needs is more zombies. Waaaay more zombies.

The zombies are currently only place holders, the development team are working on server architecture to improve performance. Once that's done there is expected to be hundreds of zombies at any given time across the map and hopefully more players per server. (Hopefully!)

The DayZ mod has a good number of zombies per area, but they only spawn when players are nearby, having zombies spawned across the map when not needed causes server performance degredation due to the increase in objects in the world on the Arma 2 Engine. For DayZ standalone the hope is that this will be fixed to allow great performance while having alot of zombies and players active at the same time.

If they added more zombies to the DayZ SA as it is at the moment, you'd have alot more stuttering, more desync, more lag etc and generally people would be more unhappy with the game.

Again last night.

Fighting zombies with a friend and some d!ck comes over and sprays us dead. No words - nothing.

I'm sure everyone has the same experience which forces them to kill-on-site for fear and hatred of other players....

Cravez wrote: »
    The zombies are currently only place holders, the development team are working on server architecture to improve performance. Once that's done there is expected to be hundreds of zombies at any given time across the map and hopefully more players per server. (Hopefully!)

The DayZ mod has a good number of zombies per area, but they only spawn when players are nearby, having zombies spawned across the map when not needed causes server performance degredation due to the increase in objects in the world on the Arma 2 Engine. For DayZ standalone the hope is that this will be fixed to allow great performance while having alot of zombies and players active at the same time.

If they added more zombies to the DayZ SA as it is at the moment, you'd have alot more stuttering, more desync, more lag etc and generally people would be more unhappy with the game.

Ah ok, I didn't know this. I'm still a serious noob with this game.

It's good they're working on more zeds. Hordes of those things would be a really serious thing indeed and I honestly think it will cut down on the PvP crap.

Not that PvP is inherently bad, or anything. Some banditry is good. But when you're just shot by some wanker for no reason at all, it gets tiresome and it makes the community turn to KoS as a generally rule, as seems to be happening at present.

It's a shame, because the game does feel much better when you connect with some randomer and fight off a load of geeks, or trade some needed supplies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Vehicles are on experimental! :eek:

• Advertisement

Vehicles are on experimental! :eek:
    Yup and they actually work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Jaysus i might give it a whirl so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

I see it's going up in price. It already has actually, but it's discounted in the Steam sale so that it's the same price it was before the sale...

Oak76 wrote: »
    I see it's going up in price. It already has actually, but it's discounted in the Steam sale so that it's the same price it was before the sale...

Think thats a mistake. Because Bohemia said themselves the price is going up after the "Fall Sale" to reflect more added content and they want a gradual price rise rather than sticking an extra 20-30 quid on it overnight when it hits Beta/Full release

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Here's the plan for 2015, with an eventual final release sometime in 2016.
    Eurogamer wrote:
    Q1 2015

Basic vehicles
    Advanced loot distribution
    New renderer
    New Zombie AI
    Basic stealth system (zombies and animals)
    Diseases

Q2 2015

Advanced vehicles (repair and modifications)
    Advanced animals (life cycle, group behavior)
    Player statistics
    New UI
    Player stamina
    Dynamic events

Q3 2015

Traps
    Barricading
    Character life span + soft skills
    Animal predators + birds
    Aerial transport
    Console prototype

Q4 2015

Animal companions
    Steam community integration
    Construction (base building)
    Beta version, expected price €34.99 / $43.99.

See here.

I would add another 2 years to that list :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

There is still so many annoying bugs. Picking up some items. Items I drop end up a few metres away. Stuck in doorways and other spots. Graphical issues etc. I would rather a more polished gaming experience before any vehicles get added. By the time they exit beta their competition will have eaten them up.

Devs have said they wanted to do a 3 year development life cycle so about sometime in 2016 sounds about right.

Given that bugs will creep in when they add new functionality (and they will), id rather give the estimation of release more towards mid-late 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Devs have said they wanted to do a 3 year development life cycle so about sometime in 2016 sounds about right.

Given that bugs will creep in when they add new functionality (and they will), id rather give the estimation of release more towards mid-late 2016.
    Did they actually say this before they put the game up for sale initially? If I had known it was this far from completion I would never have handed over my cash for it. If they did then I cant blame anyone else bar myself, otherwise I will still feel was a big waste of cash.
    last I played it was buggier and not a nice experience to play. At least when it first came out the bugs you could deal with.

• Advertisement

deceit wrote: »
    Did they actually say this before they put the game up for sale initially? If I had known it was this far from completion I would never have handed over my cash for it. If they did then I cant blame anyone else bar myself, otherwise I will still feel was a big waste of cash.
    last I played it was buggier and not a nice experience to play. At least when it first came out the bugs you could deal with.

You are correct in that they didn't actually say it before they put the game for sale so your comment is valid. It was in one of the development blogs a good while back where they mentioned the 3 year software development cycle.

Early Access however, being indicative that it is, people shouldn't have expected for the game to be released sooner rather than later. Games, like most software projects, do run on a development lifecycle basis, sometimes lasting years depending on various factors. Because a game is in Early Access, shouldn't be an indication that it is in any way ready for release at a sooner date. I think people assume that because there is a working copy of a game available to play (albeit not polished), that it somehow must be near completion.

Beta version, expected price €34.99 / $43.99.

I presume that if someone has already bought the Alpha version of 'Dayz' that their game simply gets updated to Beta, when that code is available yes?

They're not saying that we have to fork out again?

I presume that if someone has already bought the Alpha version of 'Dayz' that their game simply gets updated to Beta, when that code is available yes?

Nope you don't have to fork out again, once you bought DayZ in Alpha you will keep geting updates for the game.

The reason for the lower price in Alpha is that the subsidised cost of buying the game while it is in an alpha state (therfore an incentive for supporting the development of the game). If when the game moves from Alpha to Beta it will go up for any new buyers and then again when it moves from Beta to Full Release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Base building and animal companions? Sounds great, but I'd rather then just polish and release with the current content in early 2015 and put out these features in 2016 as part of an expansion.

Lol, fork out for the Beta and for the full release again :pac:

I can see DayZ being abandoned tbh...H1Z1 might take most of the player base.

Whats changed in a year? Not much.

Zombies still useless mess.
    No Vechs...be awhile before we see them in stable.
    Nothing implemented to curb KOS.
    Plenty of duping/vanishing item bugs
    Random death bugs

But sure we have cows now.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I think people assume that because there is a working copy of a game available to play (albeit not polished), that it somehow must be near completion.

This is a very valid point. You can get the bones of a game up and running fairly rapidly, but turning it into a final product can take an age.

Game engines these days have most of the run-of-the-mill stuff covered, not to mention if you're in game development you'll have set a lot of the basics up a hundred times before. Generally, the more novel or interesting a feature sounds, the more time it's going to take to get it working and polished.

• Advertisement

Taylor365 wrote: »

Random death bugs

A list of changes made since June: http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2ndcny/for_everyone_that_think_dayz_sa_made_very_little/
    Also judging by how well experimental is currently running I'd guess we'll be seeing vehicles in stable within the next 2 weeks.

Taylor365 wrote: »

Random death bugs

Vehicles just hit exp so its not unlikely that they'll be hitting stable soon.

NOTHING needs to be implemented to curb KoS. Stop being so **** at the game and you'll stop getting killed innit bruv.

Random death bugs are less of an issue of randomness and more of underlying issues with the RV engine and some poor coding on the backend. For example theres a rudimentary system in place that accumulates damage on each part of the body in game, (Arms, legs, torso) If your arms hit this threshold, regardless of health or severity of the hit, you'll break an arm. However when this happens the torso for some reason you just die. Thats what happens most of the times you randomly get one shotted by a zed or player. All in all its just a minor bug in the grand scheme of things,a bug that you were told to expect when buying the game

Granted there are issues with walls and ladders and stairs causing damage and stuff. But thats the beauty of the RV engine.

People are making out like the game is showing some telltale signs that it will flounder and collapse. Its one of the biggest followed games I can recall. It has a massive fanbase and despite what many people are claiming. Zombie games arent just a fad that everyone is growing tired of. Most of the people I know and see have hit 300+ hours in the game and people with a much higher time clocked have the audacity to claim the game wasn't worth their 25 euro. Its a joke joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Vehicles just hit exp so its not unlikely that they'll be hitting stable soon.

NOTHING needs to be implemented to curb KoS. Stop being so **** at the game and you'll stop getting killed innit bruv.

Random death bugs are less of an issue of randomness and more of underlying issues with the RV engine and some poor coding on the backend. For example theres a rudimentary system in place that accumulates damage on each part of the body in game, (Arms, legs, torso) If your arms hit this threshold, regardless of health or severity of the hit, you'll break an arm. However when this happens the torso for some reason you just die. Thats what happens most of the times you randomly get one shotted by a zed or player. All in all its just a minor bug in the grand scheme of things,a bug that you were told to expect when buying the game

Granted there are issues with walls and ladders and stairs causing damage and stuff. But thats the beauty of the RV engine.

People are making out like the game is showing some telltale signs that it will flounder and collapse. Its one of the biggest followed games I can recall. It has a massive fanbase and despite what many people are claiming. Zombie games arent just a fad that everyone is growing tired of. Most of the people I know and see have hit 300+ hours in the game and people with a much higher time clocked have the audacity to claim the game wasn't worth their 25 euro. Its a joke joe.

I would consider it a complete waist of €25 for me. I was a HUGE fanboy of the mod, played the **** out of it and clocked well over 300+ hours playing it but for god sake what they have done (or more so not done) with this game is the joke.

The "Alpha warning" only carreys you so fare and they have past the point where getting killed by a ladder!!!! should have well have been a thing of the past. "O hay guys look how good the map looks" "no wait dont look from up there you will die trying to walk up the stairs or climb the ladder to see"

This lack of effort in this title has done one thing in my eyes, cemented any thoughts of buying a game from this developers ever again. I have uninstalled it and if i could i would remove it from my steam library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I dip in and out of SA the odd time to check on the changes mostly. Other than that im still playing the mod 99% of the time. SA is obviously not ready but i do have faith Bohemia will get it right in the end. Just may take longer than even they thought. Bohemia in my eyes are a great dev,they open there game up to the community to mod and sadly thats a thing that happens all too little these days imo. And imo there pricing is fair. I truly feel they are one of the better developers out there today.

Early access is still in its infancy,so there are mistakes being made. If bohemia had of known how things would go im sure they would have held the alpha back longer and did some more work on it but they didnt and personally i believe they will learn that lesson.

Also i agree with Timmyctc,nothing wrong wit KoS. The fact you can be shot at any second is what adds massive amounts of tension to the game imo. Im not suggesting always kill on sight but judge each situation on its merits,if person is a danger and you dont want to talk they have to go,end of story.

I find it hilarious that axe wielding fresh spawns think its ok to run around the place like headless chickens shouting friendly friendly and expect not to get shot. Guy ran into a building i was in the other day shouting friendly friendly at me over direct when i was actually hiding from/stalking a group of two heavily armed guys. Of course i shot him but at that point the two guys proceeded to find my building from the direct chat/shooting and put me under siege and eventually killed me. What was funny was the fresh spawn took to side chat to berate me for shooting a fresh spawn and calling me a dickhead for KoS.

Point being that if your in my way your getting shot,and id expect for me to get the same treatment from other players. If your getting KoS'd all the time your doing it wrong imo though!! If you stay stealthy you should not just be getting randomly shot!

That got out of hand...../rant:)

Timmyctc wrote: »
    You mean start killing everyone on site too :rolleyes:

Game is just a prolonged version of COD....
    EoinHef wrote: »
    Also i agree with Timmyctc,nothing wrong wit KoS. The fact you can be shot at any second is what adds massive amounts of tension to the game imo. Im not suggesting always kill on sight but judge each situation on its merits,if person is a danger and you dont want to talk they have to go,end of story.
    Yea, even when you running around Cherno with nothing but a torchlight and a sniper is shooting you. Great tension.

• Advertisement
Advertisement