Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has any county beaten 'the full set' in championship? (football)

Options
  • 02-08-2015 7:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Bored at work with my Monaghan colleague we had a natter about this. Excluding London and New York has any county beaten every other entrant in the AI or is anybody close to doing so?. Maybe it's because we were bored (or that we need a life), thought it quite interesting. :o Pass a while on a Sunday perhaps. I suspect the answer to the initial question is a resounding 'No' to be honest.

Donegal:

Ulster
    Beaten them all in the past 5 years. Edit* Apart from Fermanagh but we've beaten them oft times before.

Leinster:
    Dublin (2014), Meath (2002), Kildare (2011), Westmeath (2007), Carlow (2009) Longford (2003), Laois (2013).

Offaly- Beaten in 1972 semi final.
    Wexford, Wicklow, Louth: Never played them in Championship.

Munster:
    Kerry (2012), Cork (2012), Clare (2009), Tipp (2003).

Limerick, Waterford: Never played them in Championship.

Connaught
    Galway (2015), Mayo (2012), Sligo (2003), Leitrim (2007).

Roscommon: Never played them in Championship.

So only yet to meet (and beat) 7 counties. Anyone closer than that? I'm thinking Armagh might be close enough or Tyrone. They've both had 'exotic' draws down the country over the past few years. While you'd think of the most successful counties like Kerry or Dublin they don't really tend to play some of the more obscure teams.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Meath

OK will go with most recent wins

Leinster
    Louth 2011 Dublin 2010 Kildare 2014 Westmeath 2009 Wicklow 2015 Offaly 2010 Laois 2010 Carlow 2014 Wexford 2013
    I know we've beaten Longford just can't remember last meeting.
    Kilkenny, have we met?

Munster
    Kerry 2001 Cork 1999 Waterford 2009 Limerick 2009
    Will need help with Tipp and Clare

Connacht
    Mayo 2009 Galway 2011 Roscommon 2009 Leitrim 2005
    Can't remember playing Sligo

Ulster
    Antrim 2005 I think
    Armagh 1999
    Down 2007
    Tyrone 2007
    Donegal 1990?
    Cavan probably the 1930s
    Fermanagh 2007
    Derry 1987
    Monaghan 2003

Without googling I think it's just Sligo Tipp and Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Kerry have beaten everyone except Donegal.
    They only meet once in 2012.

Where were you last September?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I'm not evena GAA fan but KERRY beat Donegal last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

Kerry
    Munster

Obviously yes

Ulster
    Have never beaten down. Have beaten all the others in the last 15 years

Connacht
    Have never played Leitrim. Beat ros in 1980. The others in the last 10 years

Leinster
    Don't think kerry have ever played Kilkenny, laois, Carlow , louth or Westmeath in championship. Not sure about Wexford but would suspect they would have played each other a long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Smartguy wrote: »
    Ulster
    Have never beaten down. Have beaten all the others in the last 15 years

Fermanagh too?

iDave wrote: »
    Where were you last September?

Oh yea I completely forgot.

OK Kerry then I think they have beaten everyone in the championship.

Wonder who is next closest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Meath

OK will go with most recent wins

Leinster
    Louth 2011 Dublin 2010 Kildare 2014 Westmeath 2009 Wicklow 2015 Offaly 2010 Laois 2010 Carlow 2014 Wexford 2013
    I know we've beaten Longford just can't remember last meeting.
    Kilkenny, have we met?

Munster
    Kerry 2001 Cork 1999 Waterford 2009 Limerick 2009
    Will need help with Tipp and Clare

Connacht
    Mayo 2009 Galway 2011 Roscommon 2009 Leitrim 2003 I think. I know it went to extra time
    Can't remember playing Sligo

Ulster
    Antrim 2005 I think
    Armagh 1999
    Down 2007
    Tyrone 2007
    Donegal 1990?
    Cavan probably the 1930s
    Fermanagh 2007
    Will need help with Derry and Monaghan

Without googling I think it's just Sligo Derry Monaghan Tipp and Clare.
    I know we did beat Monaghan in the Centenary Cup.
    Meath beat derry in '87 all ireland semi. Mcnicholl our main man played on one leg, probably not a great decision in hindsight.
    Still, that meath team turned out to be reasonably successful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

Oh yea I completely forgot.

OK Kerry then I think they have beaten everyone in the championship.

Wonder who is next closest

Kerry have never beaten down and have not played several others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Kerry have never beaten down and have not played several others.

OK you are right there, I am way off the mark with this, but then again I am basing my info on my memory of a few posts from Sticker (or what ever his/her name is) back around 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

Meath beat Monaghan in 2003 when Coyler was in charge. The Leitrim win was in 2005.

I don't think Meath have ever played Tipperary, Clare or Sligo in championship but they would look to be the only counties.

The qualifiers have allowed a lot of unusual pairings occur which wouldn't have happened without them.

Meath beat Monaghan in 2003 when Coyler was in charge. The Leitrim win was in 2005.

I don't think Meath have ever played Tipperary, Clare or Sligo in championship but they would look to be the only counties.

The qualifiers have allowed a lot of unusual pairings occur which wouldn't have happened without them.

Oh FFS I was at that Monaghan game too. Thanks for the reminder. Post edited. Boylan was still in charge for 03 though.
    Overall a very good record for Meath

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

to the OP, Wexford played and beat Monaghan in 2006.

with regards to Kerry, there was a few games between them when Wexford played in 6 AI finals in a row in the 1910's. Kerry won the first 2, and Wexford the third as they played each other in 3 finals in a row. This was the Wexford side that won the first 4 in a row.

Kerry or Dublin would be the only 2 who would realistically have any chance of completing the set, but their biggest hindrance would be not having played some counties who wouldnt progress very far in championship

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I am basing my info on my memory of a few posts from Sticker (or what ever his/her name is) back around 2012.

My God Fr Tod, have you drink taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Leinster
    Don't think kerry have ever played Kilkenny, laois, Carlow , louth or Westmeath in championship. Not sure about Wexford but would suspect they would have played each other a long time ago.

Kerry beat Louth in the 1909 final. Louth won the 1910 final in a walkover as Kerry refused to travel.

Kerry beat Wexford in 1913 and 1914. Wexford beat Kerry in 1915, the first of their 4-in-a-row of All-Irelands. They were the first county to achieve that feat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Dublin will tick off another in their set today. :D

Stoner wrote: »
    My God Fr Tod, have you drink taken?

I know, I fell like a right fool after those posts.

I usually dont post if I am not 100% sure of a fact.

I'm sorry.

By the way
    Have Kerry played everyone band beaten them all except Down ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Oh FFS I was at that Monaghan game too. Thanks for the reminder. Post edited. Boylan was still in charge for 03 though.
    Overall a very good record for Meath
    Coyler was in charge of Monaghan that time.
    Think we lost the only game against Tipperary in the late 1800s or early 1900s. Not sure if we've ever played Sligo or Clare in the championship. We would have had the chance to scratch two of them off the list had we beaten Tyrone last month.

• Advertisement

Flukey wrote: »
    Dublin will tick off another in their set today. :D

It's really something that has only been made possible by the back door.

Kerry played Wicklow and Fermanagh, the two teams that have never won provincials, in qualifiers in 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Thanks to Eoin Corry's Kingdom Come, it soon emerges that Kerry have played every other county, except Kilkenny and New York (who only joined the Championship in recent seasons). Famously, Down are the only county we've yet to defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭overshoot

Nidge think Donegal beat Wicklow in or around 2009, one more of the list

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Kildare beat Wicklow in 09, couldnt have been Donegal.

I have the programme from the 1996 AI final. Which says Meath had played 24 counties, and beaten 22 of them. In the years since that has increased to 23 out of those 24 since we beat Limerick in 2009. Meath's first ever championship football match was a loss to Limerick in 1887. We never met again for 121 years till we got them in 2008, and that ended with the saddest match in Meath history (even including this years Westmeath match). We've yet to avenge the 1895 AI final loss to Tipperary though.

Since 1996 then we've beaten Armagh, Monaghan, Waterford and Fermanagh for the first time too. That gives 27 counties. The remainder are Tipp, Clare, Sligo and who?

overshoot wrote: »
    Nidge think Donegal beat Wicklow in or around 2009, one more of the list

I thought this you know but I can't remember going, checked and couldn't find a record either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Kildare beat Wicklow in 09, couldnt have been Donegal.

I have the programme from the 1996 AI final. Which says Meath had played 24 counties, and beaten 22 of them. In the years since that has increased to 23 out of those 24 since we beat Limerick in 2009. Meath's first ever championship football match was a loss to Limerick in 1887. We never met again for 121 years till we got them in 2008, and that ended with the saddest match in Meath history (even including this years Westmeath match). We've yet to avenge the 1895 AI final loss to Tipperary though.

Since 1996 then we've beaten Armagh, Monaghan, Waterford and Fermanagh for the first time too. That gives 27 counties. The remainder are Tipp, Clare, Sligo and who?

Presumably you played London in the same 1900s era that Kerry did, New York would seem to be impossible for any non-Connacht county.

Presumably you played London in the same 1900s era that Kerry did, New York would seem to be impossible for any non-Connacht county.

Yes because they do not play in the qualifiers no non Connacht team will ever play NY.

And Kerry will only ever to get to play Kilkenny if they decide to re enter the Leinster championship

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I'd imagine London and New York were excluded. As it stands, of the 31 counties in Ireland I can name the 28 we've beaten and the 3 we've not played/beaten.

We've beaten everyone in Ulster+ Leinster. Add on Galway (2011) Mayo (2009) Roscommon (2009) and Leitrim (2005) in Connacht. Then Limerick (2009) Waterford (2009) Kerry (2001) and Cork (1999) in Munster.

So Sligo, Tipperary and Clare have yet to be beaten. That'd be a nice qualifier run to set a few records straight. Could throw in London too, for posterity.

Edit: I've rewritten this. Must have been distracted when I wrote "I can only think of 27 counties, I'm missing one", as I then went on to list all 28 in the next sentence.

Antrim? They haven't won an Ulster final since 1950.

Beat them in 2009, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭overshoot

I thought this you know but I can't remember going, checked and couldn't find a record either.
    ha i was sure we played them and couldnt let it go... round 1 2005!

Advertisement