Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

Well that was depressing from a game plan perspective.

We have not progressed in the last 2 seasons in our ability to attack with unstructured possession. I don't have a problem with the sweeper as a defensive foundation but you have to attack differently if using it.

For all the ball TDB won, how many times do we end up creating scoring opportunities 45 yards out in a central position? Only twice in the second half did we run it and TDB won a free and we created Bennett's goal chance. Our score creation is terrible cause we strike from too deep without drawing out the oppositions half backs. Tipp exploited this today cause they kept hitting ball down the middle knowing if TDB won it, they'd get it back and they could try again. Any break won by a Tipp forward was in a central location and tapped over. In contrast, Waterford forwards were winning ball out on the wings.

In a nutshell, if Waterford play with this system, minimise the free count and you'll beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

I dunno what happened us in the second half.
    The incident involving aussie happened more or less in front of me. But i didn't see how it started or who was to blame as I followed the ball. But from what I seen the tipp guy more or less had aussie in a choke hold on the ground.

Bad referring today. And im not using that as an excuse for the loss. Tipp seemed to be more fired up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Really sad stuff here. For those on about squad depth...We still have Maurice Shan, Stephen Bennett, Philip Mahony, Darragh Fives to get a proper run. Brian O'Halloran deserves a chance and we were missing Brick, Jamie Barron and Paddy Curran today...add in Stephen Daniels and SOK...that's a bit of a decent panel isn't it?
    For those on about Mcgrath's pets....they deserved a chance, that's what a squad is for. They got it and didn't take it...I don't think we're gonna see much of O'Brien or Dillon again this year...we have plenty of options..
    Ye have to remember it's the 19th of Feb...**** hurling **** pitches and so much bull**** talk. I'm not worried if we don't perform in the league this year, if you had to choose to peak in April or in August I think everybody chooses the latter...ye have to give him until the end of the year, why oh why are people looking at him thinking we should be hammering teams out the field by 20 points after 2 games, why show your hand already in February, we're not even half fit yet...Relax lads

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

With the pitch the way it was I'm not sure how much I'd read into it. But McNulty and O' Brien were far from our worst. Iggy was probably our best.

In fairness if fellas are going to criticise after a win they'll definitely love to after a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Re Mcgrath, I think everyone agrees we need to show some proper progress this year for him to be kept in the job. If we go out and get bet by Tipp in the same fashion as we have the last 2 years then it is probably time to go.

Lads Derek McGrath is gone this year regardless of what happens this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

With the pitch the way it was I'm not sure how much I'd read into it.

You would have to think though that it would have inconvenienced Tipp more than Waterford?

Waterford's style of withdrawing forwards plays completely into Tipp's hands, the likes of James Barry, Paraic Maher and Joe Dwyer deliver quality ball into our forwards and giving them that much time is suicide, McGrath has certainly made progress but he needs to be more versatile and horses for courses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

danganabu wrote: »
    You would have to think though that it would have inconvenienced Tipp more than Waterford?

Waterford's style of withdrawing forwards plays completely into Tipp's hands, the likes of James Barry, Paraic Maher and Joe Dwyer deliver quality ball into our forwards and giving them that much time is suicide, McGrath has certainly made progress but he needs to be more versatile and horses for courses etc.

I see your point but honestly I think it suited nobody. It gives itself to the ball stopping dead and allied to the long grass it meant that there was no hurling allowed. Shane Bennett and Michael Kearney would be two players who it wouldn't have suited at all.

I think the way the game is gone, the days of the mullocker who can't hit the ball is gone at inter county level. Hence a bad pitch doesn't suit any of them. I'll wait a bit later in the year before I assess a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

With the pitch the way it was I'm not sure how much I'd read into it. But McNulty and O' Brien were far from our worst. Iggy was probably our best.

In fairness if fellas are going to criticise after a win they'll definitely love to after a loss.

McNulty and O' Brien both poor as were a few others. Thing with McNulty and O'Brien is both are not up to intercounty standard and everyone knows it. The likes of Gleeson and Bennett who were also poor today will come good.
    If McGrath was to play 3 up front he wouldn't have many people criticising him. But he won't. And unfortunately that doesn't look like changing soon. We will never win an all ireland playing so negatively and we are all sick of getting beaten in semi finals every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Just back from the match ; got to see the relations so wasn't a total waste of time. As already commented, this performance was very deflating : pity given the massive crowd (surely more there than the official attendance of 7,000).

Kirwan maintained his reputation as the most annoying referee around ; as for the pitch, the less said the better.

Given the way other results are going so far (although still in February), Tipp deserve to be a very short price to retain the AI.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

McGrath was definitely right about Tipp being years ahead of us . They have strength in depth on their panel which no other county has at the moment.
    When all our players are available and we can put out our best 15 we arent far off.
    Yes it's only the second game of the league on a heavy pitch but the set up of the team would just disillusion you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Very disappointing performance from Waterford today. Tipp look to be well ahead of us again. The lack of scoring threat is very disheartening, some dreadful wides today. Some fringe players didnt look up to standard and some important players looked way off the pace.

Hopefully we get good performances and important wins in the next 2 games against Dublin in Croker and Cork at home, we dont want to be dragged into the relegation dogfight, especially with Kilkenny appearing to be in it, and Galway looking like they might not get out of 1B this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,892 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'm dreading at the thought we could be coming out of Croke Park in 2 weeks defeated again. Dublin have been known to be hot and cold but there confidence is up after the big win in cork last night, there not scared of us and they will be well aware of our terrible Croke Park record. We need too win up there in 2 weeks or we could be facing a potential relagation battle which could involve Kilkenny

We all knw we will play the sweeper system and the team will be similar to today and last week, McGrath will BS about Dublin being ahead of us, the league is not a true reflection of any team etc. I hope he's not saying too himself 'ah sure 1b will be competitive next year with Galway and Limerick there, so relagation will be OK'

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Stephen is in UL.

Kieran and Shane are in LIT

Tipp are a really big strong team - they seem to have come back as hungry and motivated as any other year when they suffered close defeats to Kilkenny, Success hasn't softened them over the winter this time around.

They simply have better players, especially forwards, then us at the moment, we have some good young players but we have no forward as good as John McGrath, not to mind our young lads matching up to him.

I would like to see Gleeson played centre back and left there, but we are so short of options up front presumably that is why he is up in the forwards again.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Mulbert

I think the way the game is gone, the days of the mullocker who can't hit the ball is gone at inter county level. Hence a bad pitch doesn't suit any of them. I'll wait a bit later in the year before I assess a team.

It would have suited Brick, not that he's a mullocker, but by Jesus can he mullock. " bend over and take the belts".

its interesting to look at the success of the Munster counties at minor level over the last ten years - a period when Waterford, Limerick, Tipperary and Clare have been consistently challenging and have had some great contests against each other.

in the last 10 years Munster minor titles have been divided as follows;
    Tipp 4 ( 2007,2012, 2015, 2016)
    Clare 2 (2010, 2011)
    Limerick (2013, 2014)
    Waterford 1 (2009)

in that period only two counties from Munster have gone on to win the All-Ireland
    Tipp 3 (2007, 2012, 2016)
    Waterford 1 (2013)

So even at a time when there has been a resurgence in fortunes of Wat, Lim and Clare - Tipp are still by far the top dogs, it might put our underage successes into a little bit of perspective.

yes we had a great minor and U21 team but the fact of the matter is that we need 4 teams just like it across a decade at those levels to match the likes of Tipp and KK

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭shamrockvilla

Lads, we're being delusional here,Tipperary are a fair bit ahead of us and to be honest how many of our players would start on the strongest Tipperary team?.Also the pitch was shocking, no top class hurling match should be allowed to go ahead on such a poor surface.

QF- We finish 4th- vs Wexford in Walsh Park, 3rd or 2nd- Limerick (Walsh Park) or Galway (Pearse stadium) or 1st- Kerry or Laois

If in a relagation playoff we will have a coin toss for home advantage if we play Kilkenny,Clare or Tipperary, We play Cork or Dublin at home

Still a bit to go before we fix our plans for April 1st/2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Iggy also made two brilliant saves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

JesusRef wrote: »

I would like to see Gleeson played centre back and left there, but we are so short of options up front presumably that is why he is up in the forwards again.

Agree that's where he can dominate games from, when he is fully fit again. We need to find some of those options up front in the league - don't think anybody covered themselves in glory today, maybe Shane Bennett impressed on the battling front though finishing left him down.

Article in todays sunday times about the focus Tipp have put on retaining the all-ireland. Unfortunately it looks like they have learned a few lessons from 2010. We may need to play the championship match in Walsh Park and leave the grass uncut until after it !

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/irish-sport/tough-act-to-follow-pklts9xgg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Same clowns  here again trying to make excuses for when were beaten. Anytime a DLS or Roanmore player has a bad game now they should be struck from the panel? Yet Shane Bennett has been shocking this year so far, but that's ok I guess... he not one of Derek's ex-pupils he's allowed to be.  We were miles off today and many of the players weren't good enough. Regardless of whose calling the shots from the sideline. McGrath said during the week that Tipp are a good bit ahead of us in terms of development and of course was accused here of making excuses for himself and being defeatist. Sometimes reality bites, proven again today.
    Only February anyway, last week we should be winning the All Ireland, this week we may aswell give up. Some bizarre results in the league this time of year, look at Cork, Clare, Dublin. Come the summer, no one will remember the league.

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Same clowns here again trying to make excuses for when were beaten. Anytime a DLS or Roanmore player has a bad game now they should be struck from the panel? Yet Shane Bennett has been shocking this year so far, but that's ok I guess... he not one of Derek's ex-pupils he's allowed to be. We were miles off today and many of the players weren't good enough. Regardless of whose calling the shots from the sideline. McGrath said during the week that Tipp are a good bit ahead of us in terms of development and of course was accused here of making excuses for himself and being defeatist. Sometimes reality bites, proven again today.
    Only February anyway, last week we should be winning the All Ireland, this week we may aswell give up. Some bizarre results in the league this time of year, look at Cork, Clare, Dublin. Come the summer, no one will remember the league.

Have to agree with you - this new league format has led to some totally unpredictable results since it came in, just like the Cork, Clare, Dublin results in the last two rounds.

Fact of the matter is that Tipp,
    have a stronger panel then us,
    have better forwards than we do (individually and as a unit)
    they have a better production line

it is possible for us to beat them, but to do so we are punching above our weight

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

The first thing is how anyone thinks that that bog below in the city is better than the Fraher Field needs their head examined. Now as for the game itself it told us nothing that we didn't already know, Dillon,O Brien and McNulty are simply not next or near the required standard. Physically Conor Gleeson and Darragh Lyons are 2-3 yrs behind what's required aswell. Beaten allover the field really,especially in the second half and it's worrying how we haven't a replacement for Barron if he is to get injured later in the year. Only when he's absent can you see what he brings to the table. Shane Bennett is struggling but to be fair to him he's still showing,still shooting but his confidence seems to be rock bottom at the moment. Maybe a break against Dublin is what's needed for him but he definitely has alot to offer the team so I wouldn't lose faith with him yet. Worrying again without Brick how poor we were to win the physical battles,time and time again we failed to stop the Tipp halfback line from dominating. Another fella that has been tried and failed is Devine,he just hasn't the required ability for this level. 6 forwards consisting of Mahoney,Brick, Aussie,Curran Shan and Stephen Bennett should start against Dublin in an orthodox forward line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭ThaiTanic

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Same clowns  here again trying to make excuses for when were beaten. Anytime a DLS or Roanmore player has a bad game now they should be struck from the panel? Yet Shane Bennett has been shocking this year so far, but that's ok I guess... he not one of Derek's ex-pupils he's allowed to be.  We were miles off today and many of the players weren't good enough. Regardless of whose calling the shots from the sideline. McGrath said during the week that Tipp are a good bit ahead of us in terms of development and of course was accused here of making excuses for himself and being defeatist. Sometimes reality bites, proven again today.
    Only February anyway, last week we should be winning the All Ireland, this week we may aswell give up. Some bizarre results in the league this time of year, look at Cork, Clare, Dublin. Come the summer, no one will remember the league.

Anytime they have a bad game? When has Jake or Gavin O Brien or McNulty ever played a good game? The only thing keeping them on the panel is their club and what school they hurled for? As for your comment about Shane Bennett that has to be one of the most stupid comments ever seen on the forum, hes offered Waterford more going forward in the last 2 years than Jake Gavin and McNulty have ever offered. Shane Bennett was having a brilliant year up until two weeks ago against WIT in the Fitzgibbon, think he scored 3-10 or something for LIT the game before that. Nothing bizarre about todays result with that team out, and just remember that was a very experimental Tipp team out today too. Dublin would have bet us today!
    Come the Summer no one will remember the league? Yeah correct but they remember been humiliated in Munster Finals 2 years running and laughed at by Kilkenny in All Ireland Semi Finals!

But hey, its all part of the process, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

ThaiTanic wrote: »
    Anytime they have a bad game? When has Jake or Gavin O Brien or McNulty ever played a good game? The only thing keeping them on the panel is their club and what school they hurled for? As for your comment about Shane Bennett that has to be one of the most stupid comments ever seen on the forum, hes offered Waterford more going forward in the last 2 years than Jake Gavin and McNulty have ever offered. Shane Bennett was having a brilliant year up until two weeks ago against WIT in the Fitzgibbon, think he scored 3-10 or something for LIT the game before that. Nothing bizarre about todays result with that team out, and just remember that was a very experimental Tipp team out today too. Dublin would have bet us today!
    Come the Summer no one will remember the league? Yeah correct but they remember been humiliated in Munster Finals 2 years running and laughed at by Kilkenny in All Ireland Semi Finals!

Shane Bennett scored 3-7 against trinity college in fitzgibbon first round. In the group decider against WIT he was kept quiet by Shane McNulty. While on the subject of the fitzgibbon cup Jake Dillon was man of the match in the final 2 years ago.

• Advertisement

I agree Shane Bennett has seen better days but it is very tough on him as he is always outnumbered up there, plus high ball kept on being pumped into him when it was clear he couldnt win it in the air. He won alot of possessions and a few frees but i also would give hima break against Dublin, the lad is being flogged.

Tom Devine maybe has a roll in spoiling a win back like maher as he is so physically strong and very game, but his touch and distribution just doesnt seem to be up to the standard required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

O'Brien didn't even go to school in DLS so I don't know what your getting at there. He's been knocking around the panel for a good few years ever before there was a Roanmore selector so that knocks the argument that he only on the panel because of what club he's from. As for McNulty he is a good young hurler who came up through underage ranks at minor and u21, not like he was plucked from obscurity. So hes getting a chance, is that not what the league is for? As for Shane Bennett I never questioned his ability I just said that he was going bad the last couple of games should his place on the team not be questioned awell? What about Devine? McNulty was no worse than either of those lads. As for Dillon he divides opinion some people rate him some don't personally I wouldn't start him but he's still a decent option to have coming off the bench. He's definitely not as bad as you try to make him out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Anyone know the fitness of Shanahan and Darragh Fives?

For me, an inform Shanahan makes a big difference to this team.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭shamrockvilla

watched the game again last night after being there yesterday,pitch looked even worse if that's possible. On the playing front we are miles behind in technical ability, everything seemed to come easy for Tipperary, why is this? Do they put more time into stick work? McGrath has us obsessed with tactics! It's not tactics that beats us it's hurling. We have a few very good players but we don't have the depth that Kilkenny or Tipperary have! To be honest we are a good bit off of both those counties,it's no use kidding ourselves!

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Anyone know the fitness of Shanahan and Darragh Fives?

For me, an inform Shanahan makes a big difference to this team.

Fives probably won't make the league & Maurice is fit just been given time off from Lismores run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

Poor Game from a Waterford standpoint, we never got going, i must be in a minority here i thought McNulty did ok, for his first start in a game that he usually would not, against the All Ireland champs, started nervous , and really he held his own untill withdrawn, is he considered one of the "pets" ?, and if possible can someone who is familer with this group structure post up a full list, so we can tell on an ongoing basis who is in this group, and the qualifying Criteria.
    I Feel Derek won't be as upset about this loss as he would have been the previous week, if we had lost to Kilkenny, the fact that Clare destroyed Kilkenny has also take a bit of the gloss off that too, we don't look as if we are really gunning for a league title, and once we are playing in the same division next year, then job done, if we could only locate one or two more that will be putting pressure on the starting 15, and make it hard for derek to ignore them, but as of now nobody doing that, we would want to be wary of Clare now, as they are hard to beat in Ennis, and we'll beat dublin and cork, so no worries, once the league is gone then even if you win it, its forgotton in a week, everybody needs to stop overreacting here, its either we're world beaters one week to ,Worst team ever everybody is entitled to an opinion, but really there is so much absolute ball hopping ****e on here , it's really hard to read it, if you make 10 posts within a day and your drivng the same point over and over again, its hard to take it at face value, plus whilst iggy did ok, he should have done better with the gola, yeah good save , but up in the air in front of the goal, if sok did it he'd be killed, iggy is an OK Club keeper , but i would not dispute his right to be there, Poor game , big MEH all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Poor Game from a Waterford standpoint, we never got going, i must be in a minority here i thought McNulty did ok, for his first start in a game that he usually would not, against the All Ireland champs, started nervous , and really he held his own untill withdrawn, is he considered one of the "pets" ?, and if possible can someone who is familer with this group structure post up a full list, so we can tell on an ongoing basis who is in this group, and the qualifying Criteria.
    I Feel Derek won't be as upset about this loss as he would have been the previous week, if we had lost to Kilkenny, the fact that Clare destroyed Kilkenny has also take a bit of the gloss off that too, we don't look as if we are really gunning for a league title, and once we are playing in the same division next year, then job done, if we could only locate one or two more that will be putting pressure on the starting 15, and make it hard for derek to ignore them, but as of now nobody doing that, we would want to be wary of Clare now, as they are hard to beat in Ennis, and we'll beat dublin and cork, so no worries, once the league is gone then even if you win it, its forgotton in a week, everybody needs to stop overreacting here, its either we're world beaters one week to ,Worst team ever everybody is entitled to an opinion, but really there is so much absolute ball hopping ****e on here , it's really hard to read it, if you make 10 posts within a day and your drivng the same point over and over again, its hard to take it at face value, plus whilst iggy did ok, he should have done better with the gola, yeah good save , but up in the air in front of the goal, if sok did it he'd be killed, iggy is an OK Club keeper , but i would not dispute his right to be there, Poor game , big MEH all round.

I also thought McNulty did ok he was one of the better ones yesterday. If lads want to be fair in their critical observation then Gleeson was miles off the pace looks about a stone overweight but i know come championship he will be spot on. Some posters like to pick on the easy options.
    Does anyone know what happened Dunford?
    He looked frustrated to be taken off after only.coming on i heard Derek say it was an injury and how he has the fitzgibbon coming up.
    Why play him at all so an why not use Billy Nolan or someone who is on the panel and not in fitzgibbon?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Not too disheartened by yesterday - Tipp are all Ireland champions and have probably the strongest panel in the country at the moment by a long -shot.

Biggest problem yesterday in my view was we had some terrible wides especially in the first half failing to take advantage of the wind and gave us a big hill to climb come second half. For anyone who dosen't think the wind played its part just watch where the goal keeper's puck outs were landing.

In the second half yesterday Tipp played like the did in the Munster Final second half, bombed big balls down on top of our defence, got plenty of bodies under the dropping ball and were very alive to the breaking ball - several times yesterday Waterford players were standing waiting for a dropping ball only to be challenged by Tipp lads coming in from the side who had the momentum to blow us out of the way. but in the majority we coped much better than the Munster Final. Simple fact is that we missed i think at least six very handy scores at vital times in the game that gave the momentum to Tipp and therein was the difference in the final result.

In terms of lads who were all but making their debuts, I feel McNulty did not do bad at all - pitch was terrible and opposition were very strong - not going to get a much harder challenge than that. Though Gavin O'Brien did all right considering it was his first start in a long time,. got one beautiful point but missed another when snatching at it off this left. I would certainly believe that both should get further chances to show what they can do and should not be written off. Michael Kearney likewise did alright on a pitch that was most definitely not suited to his style of play. Good to see Colin Dunford back, but hope he being taken off again was purely down to injury concerns. Good also to see Maurice and Stephen Bennett get some game time.

Too big concerns for me from yesterday are

- that Shane Bennett is losing confidence fast, worked really hard but is making basic mistakes because is trying too hard shot selection is poor and is hitting for points more in hope than with conviction we need to get him back to basics and reassure him that his scoring form will return. Yesterday he took a good strike on goal and brought a really go save from their keeper, but a confident Shane Bennett would have taken it on a yard or two and given the keep far less chance of saving it.

- Aussie positioning - ok it may just be trying to get him back to the pace of the game but i do not see the merit of playing him so close to goal - Aussie is a born ball winner and creates much better goal chances with driving runs from the half forward line. When he is in the full forward line his back is to the goal and can be forced away from goal initially resulting in attempts for spectacular over the shoulder efforts that more often then not drift wide. for me he is a player that needs to be in the thick of things, often when a full forward his mind wanders, several times yesterday he was flat footed and the full back was out in front of him.

It is early season being played in terrible conditions and we are rushing to harsh judgements. Very few players are going to make debuts and shoot the lights out, they are learning and if they are only being given one chance every so often the pressure is too great on them to make an impression.

Two games into the league, we are already talking about reverting to the tried and trusted. Time to be brave and show faith in the panel

I also thought McNulty did ok he was one of the better ones yesterday. If lads want to be fair in their critical observation then Gleeson was miles off the pace looks about a stone overweight but i know come championship he will be spot on. Some posters like to pick on the easy options.
    Does anyone know what happened Dunford?
    He looked frustrated to be taken off after only.coming on i heard Derek say it was an injury and how he has the fitzgibbon coming up.
    Why play him at all so an why not use Billy Nolan or someone who is on the panel and not in fitzgibbon?

Madness bringing Dunford on for 10mins when you have Brian o Halloran and Billy Nolan there, Heard he has pulled his hamstring and is a major doubt for IT Carlow on Friday. You could argue about Devine and Gleeson starting but IMO if a player has an All Ireland Semi final on Friday they shouldn't be brought on for 10 mins, whatever about starting.
    DJ Carey must love McGrath as this is the second Waterford player that has got injured before a big game for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

I was also disappointed with the game yesterday. More so that we just seemed all at sea. Agree that maybe Aussie was being worked back into the team slowly and that he was wasted being stuck in at the square. He seemed to do well when out the field as in he made the right choices and just had his radar off and really wasn't on the ball enough to get into the game. Wouldn't worry about him but think we need to find a proper position for him and stick to it so he can develop.

I thought McNulty did ok and was actually very good in the first half?

I like Shane Bennett's attitude and work rate. I really think he is going to come good and be the future Brick.. not to put too much pressure on him :p

De Burca and Connors were good and Mahony kept us in the game with some monster frees.
    Iggy great too. I assume SOK is injured though as we're hardly changing goalies to an elder lad at this stage?

The biggest worry I'd have is that some of the players (forwards in particular) I thought would improve haven't improved where as when you look at John McGrath... he hit the ground running at senior level and is a threat every time.

The most annoying thing for me is that every time we get the ball the first thing on every players mind is to look up and spot the nearest opposition player and then run straight at him for a shoulder and only then do they try and hurl. It's obviously something drilled in at training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Madness bringing Dunford on for 10mins when you have Brian o Halloran and Billy Nolan there, Heard he has pulled his hamstring and is a major doubt for IT Carlow on Friday. You could argue about Devine and Gleeson starting but IMO if a player has an All Ireland Semi final on Friday they shouldn't be brought on for 10 mins, whatever about starting.
    DJ Carey must love McGrath as this is the second Waterford player that has got injured before a big game for them.

So you wouldn't have started Devine, Conor Gleeson or Gavin O Brien either, in fact not played any of them? What would your starting team/subs have been yesterday as a matter of interest?

Saw in the programme yesterday that we are playing Galway in Fraher Field in a challenge game on Sunday 19th March

It's hard to knw what team/style and effort we will put in for the Dublin Game. It's a must win game as we don't want to be relying on a victory in Clare on the last day to get to a QF.

Wins over Dublin and Cork the week after will guarantee us a QF place. A trip to Salthill could await us if we finish 3rd (possibly 2nd if Galway lose to Limerick and finish 3rd). We could also face Limerick or Wexford at home in the Qfs too

We want to stay well away from the relagation zone as Kilkenny could be there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

1st half,
    Poor game, pitch is in awful condition for Hurling, brick been sick is a big blow for us.

On the 3 replacements I talked about already,
    Dilion non existent useless,
    Gavin O Brien not been seen bar one good point from play.
    McNulty hot and cold after been caught for 2 frees. Bad distrubition.
    Conor Gleeson is also non existant Brendan Maher running midfield.

On a positive TDB having a stormer for us, pauric flawless from dead balls and Our full back line is playing well. Bubbles just on and will cause us problems in the second half. Mikey Kearney also very lively
    just goes to show what you know. Conor Gleeson was wing back... good grief, were you even at the game ?

So you wouldn't have started Devine, Conor Gleeson or Gavin O Brien either, in fact not played any of them? What would your starting team/subs have been yesterday as a matter of interest?

You came out of hiding well done, no I wouldn't have played Jake Dillon or Gavin O Brien as they're simply not good enough and the fitzgibbon lads deserve to have a clear run at Friday. (Look at Ronan Maher yesterday)

I agree McNulty deserved his chance and he got it yesterday but he's simply not good enough as seen. I would have started him too giving the lack of players we have available at the moment

My team for yesterday would have been:
    1. Iggy
    2. Lyons
    3. Coughlan
    4. Connors
    5. Fives
    6. TDB
    7. McNulty
    8. Moran
    9. Aussie
    10. Nolan
    11. Mahony
    12. Kearney
    13. Shane Bennet
    14. Foran
    15. O Halloran

That team is picked to play 15 v 15 not this defensive crap.

What would your team have been yesterday out of interest?

just goes to show what you know. Conor Gleeson was wing back... good grief, were you even at the game ?[/quote]

Sorry did you say something?

• Advertisement

There a few points to be made about the match yesterday. Firstly, the pitch was in very poor condition. Tipperary came with all guns blazing and hustled and harried as if their lives depended on it. The flip side is we had nowhere near the same intensity that we had shown the previous week v KK. The question then has to be asked why was that ? I think the reason is very simple. Derek did not target this match at all with a view to further on in the year. One often see's this approach taken by managers in the League and Derek knows that we are more than likely to be meeting Tipp in the Munster semi final.

I was actually quiet pleased the management adopted this approach. People read way too much into a single result on a February day. Look at Saturday night when Dublin obviously targeted a weak Cork side and destroyed them. Not too many predicted that one.

There are a few snipers on here very willing to spout vitriol towards players that give up almost everything in life just to be part of this wonderful game and to do their best for the county. Jake Dillon is often singled out by these so called supporters. Jake is a top hurler and has proved it time after time. He has vision and workrate and definitely deserves his place in the county set up. Shane McNulty epitomizes the effort that he and so many other players in the county give by never letting up on their dream and fully deserved his chance yesterday and as a few well informed people here have said already he played well.

Conor Gleeson finished the game very strongly even though one of the attack minded snipers here on this forum actually thought he was playing in mid field. For me I was delighted with another very strong performance from Michael Kearney and come the Summer he will be putting his hand up for selection.

I will continue to support all our players and management as they give us so many good days.

just goes to show what you know. Conor Gleeson was wing back... good grief, were you even at the game ?

Sorry did you say something?[/QUOTE]
    yes, you thought Conor Gleeson played in mid field.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Thai Tanic, you've already gotten a warning for your posting style. Tone it down and learn to make your points in a more mature way or you won't last long here.
    Do not reply to this warning on the thread.

yes, you thought Conor Gleeson played in mid field.[/quote]

Where did I say Conor Gleeson played mid field? I said he was non existent in the first half! I also made a point that Brendan Maher ran mid field in the first half which he did?

Also can you enlighten us when "Jake Dilion has proved he's a top class hurler time after time"? This should be good

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

There are none so blind as those who will not see...................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

yes, you thought Conor Gleeson played in mid field.

Where did I say Conor Gleeson played mid field? I said he was non existent in the first half! I also made a point that Brendan Maher ran mid field in the first half which he did?

Also can you enlighten us when "Jake Dilion has proved he's a top class hurler time after time"? This should be good[/quote]

That's the 1st question answered for you below. Please stop the rant. Embarrassing yourself at this stage.

ThaiTanic said:
    Really looking forward to the following experts analysis of the match, que the comments from: mountgomery burns, Crottys Lake, HatchetMan7, deisechap09, Horseboxhead, and also the lads hiding in the bushes: Alpha Centauri, carter10, clonner123, conditioned games, danganabu, debok, Deise Vu, deisechap09, fitzall, Limestone1, Take no prisoners, TheScoringGoal, tomwaterford.

Only for Iggys saved peno, Paurics Frees and TDB's dominance we would have been bet by double digit scores today. Dillion & O Brien need to be cut from the panel as I have outlined all week, I would have serious doubts about McNulty also dosent look like he will cut it at this level. Conor Gleeson is a defender was lost at mid field. Aussie is just getting his bearings for this year wouldnt read too much into it. Shane Bennett is on a bad run for the past few weeks including the last two games he played for LIT but he is good enough to play at this level IMO. Brian O Halloran should have got the nod instead of Dillion. After Kilkennys heavy loss to Clare today how good was our victory over Kilkenny really?

Worring times for Waterford hurling in my opinion. As for the names mentioned above if your big enough to talk crap before it be man enough to swallow your medicine after it or else shut up in the future as ye are delusional about Waterford and the spoffer that is McGrath.

Also can you enlighten us when "Jake Dilion has proved he's a top class hurler time after time"? This should be good

That's the 1st question answered for you below. Please stop the rant. Embarrassing yourself at this stage.

ThaiTanic said:
    Really looking forward to the following experts analysis of the match, que the comments from: mountgomery burns, Crottys Lake, HatchetMan7, deisechap09, Horseboxhead, and also the lads hiding in the bushes: Alpha Centauri, carter10, clonner123, conditioned games, danganabu, debok, Deise Vu, deisechap09, fitzall, Limestone1, Take no prisoners, TheScoringGoal, tomwaterford.

Only for Iggys saved peno, Paurics Frees and TDB's dominance we would have been bet by double digit scores today. Dillion & O Brien need to be cut from the panel as I have outlined all week, I would have serious doubts about McNulty also dosent look like he will cut it at this level. Conor Gleeson is a defender was lost at mid field. Aussie is just getting his bearings for this year wouldnt read too much into it. Shane Bennett is on a bad run for the past few weeks including the last two games he played for LIT but he is good enough to play at this level IMO. Brian O Halloran should have got the nod instead of Dillion. After Kilkennys heavy loss to Clare today how good was our victory over Kilkenny really?

Worring times for Waterford hurling in my opinion. As for the names mentioned above if your big enough to talk crap before it be man enough to swallow your medicine after it or else shut up in the future as ye are delusional about Waterford and the spoffer that is McGrath.[/QUOTE]

Do you see where you said it now so who can take you seriously ?

ThaiTanic said:

Worring times for Waterford hurling in my opinion. As for the names mentioned above if your big enough to talk crap before it be man enough to swallow your medicine after it or else shut up in the future as ye are delusional about Waterford and the spoffer that is McGrath.

Do you see where you said it now so who can take you seriously ?[/quote]

Yeah that's a fair point as he was up and down, but we are all still waiting on your examples of where "Jake Dilion has proved he's a top class hurler time after time"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

[/quote]

Yeah that's a fair point as he was up and down, but we are all still waiting on your examples of where "Jake Dilion has proved he's a top class hurler time after time"?[/quote]

Bit unfair on Jake Dillon. Was excellent against Kilkenny last year. Good option as corner forward if we play 15v15 as he is capable of scoring a goal or two. However throw Christy Ring into a 1 or 2 man full forward like Waterford played yesterday and he would struggle.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's a fair point as he was up and down, but we are all still waiting on your examples of where "Jake Dilion has proved he's a top class hurler time after time"?[/quote]

Bit unfair on Jake Dillon. Was excellent against Kilkenny last year. Good option as corner forward if we play 15v15 as he is capable of scoring a goal or two. However throw Christy Ring into a 1 or 2 man full forward like Waterford played yesterday and he would struggle.[/QUOTE]

Jesus dont ever mention Jake Dillion and Christy Ring in the same breath again :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement