Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you wish were common knowledge.... but aren't!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

esel wrote: »
    Not being facetious, but is it really an offence to have the phone in your pocket?? That's where the vast majority of male drivers carry theirs, after all!

im afraid it is, by da letter of da law. But really dats just to cover members detecting someone holding one and more importantly resting it on their shoulder. Its not inforced to dat level. It couldnt be. No member can search u for a mobile phone offence.

parsi wrote: »
    Possibly something to do with the Irish tendency to declare roads closed but leave them open for locals/residents.

spot on should have cleared dat up. Nothing worst than when it happens on a flooded bridge or at the on ramp to a motorway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

im afraid it is, by da letter of da law. But really dats just to cover members detecting someone holding one and more importantly resting it on their shoulder. Its not inforced to dat level. It couldnt be. No member can search u for a mobile phone offence.
    spot on should have cleared dat up. Nothing worst than when it happens on a flooded bridge or at the on ramp to a motorway!
    Whn wr 12yrold grls allwd jn da trffc crps?:D

deadwood wrote: »
    Whn wr 12yrold grls allwd jn da trffc crps?:D

O if i could only think of a sarcastic comment to throw back at you ya olde dinosaur. :D:D:D:D:p:p:p:p.

Dont tell me that you never came across this and it didnt bother you, even a small bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Don't worry about it, nice guy; deadwood's used to reading txtsp33k when directing on Investigation Files.

And some l337 speak.

"pr053cu73 45 r3c0/\/\/\/\3nd3d'

Don't worry about it, nice guy; deadwood's used to reading txtsp33k when directing on Investigation Files.

And some l337 speak.

Prosecute as recommended???!!!!

Prosecute as recommended???!!!!
    dat's rite!

Nothing annoys deadwood anymore, nice guy. :D

And some l337 speak.

C u tmrw n my offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lyingeyes

Advice needed on frequently recurring issue!!

garda: your exhaust is too loud
    little brother: the car passed n.c.t. with it
    garda: well its just failed my N.C.T, if i hear you again i'll impound the car, and where is your fully licenced driver??
    (little brother pointing to older brother): heavily intoxicated in the back seat
    Garda: does he have his drivers licence with him??
    little brother: no
    Garda: Your in a bit of bother so bukko!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

lyingeyes wrote: »

garda: well its just failed my N.C.T, if i hear you again i'll impound the car, and where is your fully licenced driver??
    (little brother pointing to older brother): heavily intoxicated in the back seat

Whatever about the decibel level of the exhaust pal on the back seat needs to be sober to qualify as an accompanying qualified driver.

lyingeyes wrote: »

Passing NCT makes your car roadworthy......not road legal. Two different issues.

No licence with him then no full licenced driver:D
    Book em danno

Another one.

Gardai don't necessarily know how to get cows/sheep off the road any better than you do. That is, of course, since the Dubs were allowed in.

Get out of your car you lazy git!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Another one.

Gardai don't necessarily know how to get cows/sheep off the road any better than you do. That is, of course, since the Dubs were allowed in.

They may not be any better at doing it than the locals or passers-by are, but down this neck of the woods, Gardaì have been known to get impromptu & un-planned training to help get sheep and cattle off the roads if causing obstruction to the passing public :pac:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Another one.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Deadwood has to face a totally different set of problems to the rest of the Gardai on this thread.... :p

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

DeVore wrote: »
    Does anyone else get the feeling that Deadwood has to face a totally different set of problems to the rest of the Gardai on this thread.... :p

DeV.

Never mind that its Mrs Deadwood who has the unique problems

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Cut it out and back on topic. Argue somewhere else.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ohanloj3

happyhappy wrote: »
    when you are drunk in the a&e dept (of a very busy dublin hosp) please don't think it is ok to abuse the staff who then have to call gardai. i don't care what you think of mary harney, she is not going to arrive to treat you and no she is not a doctor so please stop calling her!! there are people who are actually sick here and you are not helping them.

Thanks for mentioning this! The abuse we have to put up with every night but especially on the weekends is unreal

It is not our fault you were drunk and cut your hand, arm, head or whatever! We are not leaving you all sitting in reception while we're eating chocolate kimberely and having cups of coffee.We're actually rushed off our feets and if you eejits sat down and didn't cause a scene we'd be able to get to you quicker cos we wouldn't be wasting our time trying to calm yous down and shut you all up!

DeVore wrote: »

DeV.

Like you wouldn't believe.
    TheNog wrote: »
    Never mind that its Mrs Deadwood who has the unique problems
    Like trying to figure out why i'm putting on so much weight.
    It's because Mrs Nog gives me a bun every time we do "grown-up hugs".:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Should be common knowledge but isint...illegal parking in disabled spots.

Not a huge issue, but typical of a reason why so many people resent the Garda. I was outside blackrock garda station earlier, and the one disabled parking spot was occupied by.......A garda car. Surely there can be no excuse other than lazyness for this. I know the garda probley have the right (by law)to park where ever they want to, but ffs surely they would have the decency to leave the disabled spot for someone in need of it.

...If common decency could prevail more often perhaps it would make your jobs that bit easier...

tommyhaas wrote: »

Not a huge issue, but typical of a reason why so many people resent the Garda. I was outside blackrock garda station earlier, and the one disabled parking spot was occupied by.......A garda car. Surely there can be no excuse other than lazyness for this. I know the garda probley have the right (by law)to park where ever they want to, but ffs surely they would have the decency to leave the disabled spot for someone in need of it.

...If common decency could prevail more often perhaps it would make your jobs that bit easier...
    I hope you went into the station/rang and reported this?

• Advertisement

I really wanted to, but I didnt think it was worth the hassel of having a Garda with a grudge against me. Would be just my luck to meet that Garda when my tax is a few days out of date

Maybe if you take a step back and look at this. Maybe the car had a violent prisoner that had o be brought in the front for whjat ever reason, Maybe the patrol car was responding to an assistance call to the station???? First place will do for parking. It could be one of the many people who resent the Gardaí attacking the public officer in the station......and before you start a member of my family is disabled so your preaching to the choir on the parking issue.......but yes we are exempt from it and if it is nessessary to fulfill our policing role the we will park in these spots.

So many people resent the gardaí????:eek: How can you make sure a statement. Please please back it up cause everyday I was on the beat I got thousands of Hellos! Thats a sweeping statement.

Common decency....if this prevailed on a saturday night outside every nightclub in the country it would make our jobs a lot easier.
    I really wanted to, but I didnt think it was worth the hassel of having a Garda with a grudge against me. Would be just my luck to meet that Garda when my tax is a few days out of date

Did something change that nobody told me about....is is not illegal anymore not to have tax on an MPV??

1. A quick call on the phone or in person pointing out the parking offence would have done. Nobody would insist on getting your name etc. Do you seriously think every guard in Blackrock/Dublin/Ireland would be thinking " that's yer man, the wheelchair spot guy" when your name and reg automatically popped up on our handheld radar and wireless p.c.'s?
    2. People in glasshouses . . . . :D

Sorry but I really needed to go....:D

(It wasn't me, honestly, I don't work there).

Of course, we're assuming that none of the car occupants was a wheelchair user, elderly etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Did something change that nobody told me about....is is not illegal anymore not to have tax on an MPV??

Whats an MPV??:D:D:D

Things that aren't common knowledge but should be!!!

Firstly, I dont for a second think that 'every garda in the area would be out to get me' if I reported it, just that reporting it wouldnt do me any favours. Secondly, I think its quiet common for people to forget to renew their motor tax immediatly, particularly as in my own case I maybe away for up to 3 months at a time for work, hence not seeing my post. Maybe you were just made differently in templemore...

Of course I am aware that their could be an extremely valid reason for the car being their, but it didnt look all that hectic in the station at that time, surely some one would have moved it.

Im not trying to start a row here, but surely you have to admit resentment towards the Garda is quiet wide spread (been to Donegal recently??). Im not saying its everywhere, or always justified. My point with the previous post was that the car could have been moved by someone, in order to preserve good feeling people have towards the garda, and prevent further resentment from others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

If you mentioned it to the guards they would have moved it. All this stuff about the guards giving you grief if you did so is nonsense.

They have enough on their hands already to be holding grudges.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Whitewater-AGS

would you have rathered seen the car parked on the footpath or blocking up the road??

Look, just making the point that I dont want to be labeled 'smart little f****r' etc' by them. And Im sure they would have moved it, but still wasent go'n to say anything, not my place to be saying it

would have been happier to see it in the private carpark they have there, or moved to another parking spot in the town asap

• Advertisement

Firstly, I dont for a second think that 'every garda in the area would be out to get me' if I reported it, just that reporting it wouldnt do me any favours. Secondly, I think its quiet common for people to forget to renew their motor tax immediatly, particularly as in my own case I maybe away for up to 3 months at a time for work, hence not seeing my post. Maybe you were just made differently in templemore...

Of course I am aware that their could be an extremely valid reason for the car being their, but it didnt look all that hectic in the station at that time, surely some one would have moved it.

Im not trying to start a row here, but surely you have to admit resentment towards the Garda is quiet wide spread (been to Donegal recently??). Im not saying its everywhere, or always justified. My point with the previous post was that the car could have been moved by someone, in order to preserve good feeling people have towards the garda, and prevent further resentment from others.

So how would reporting the matter have ''not done you any favors''???

You think its quite common for people not to tax their car???? Justify comment please. Are you a Garda....work for motor taxation office. In my experience it is not quite common for people to forget their tax and if they do its still an offence. I tax my car. If i forgot i'd get a ticket.

How do you know the station wasnt hectic....did you go in??? (or were you made differently as you say and have xray vision)(i find your t/more comment quite offensive, every been there or studied there to back your comment up)

Yes i have been to donegal not so long ago. Never found a problem and never heard a member saying that ''God the resentment here is quite widespread''. The resentment you speak of is in one community, dont paint all of Donegal in a bad light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

+1 nice guy

yeah, firstly apologies about the templemore comment, was being a bit smart, and no never been to templemore, but I saw all the police academys! More seriously though, yea, I went in, I have been away with work and had to get certification that my car had been off the road, hence no road tax. As a seafarer and being away for long periods, I have to tax my car for the 3mths im on leave, so it expires as I go back to sea. Hence when I return from sea I have difficulty retaxing my car as it has been off the road and untaxed while im away.

Just to clarify the other point, im not implying resentment towards the Garda is everywhere, but I have found it to be quiet widespread in different parts of the country. Again, it is not always justified, but surely any serving garda would experience this from time to time. Also, I wasent saying all garda are like certain one's in Donegal, was just citing that as an example of resentment. I understand most Garda are honest and hardworking, but there is always going to be resentment against the Garda (or police in most countries). My point is that every effort should be made to limit this, making your job easier as more people will cooperate with and trust the Garda .

Noticed recently in New York, the NYPD have a "Courtesy, Professionalism, Respect" campaign ongoing, believe something similar here could be beneficial

yeah, firstly apologies about the templemore comment, was being a bit smart, and no never been to templemore, but I saw all the police academys! More seriously though, yea, I went in, I have been away with work and had to get certification that my car had been off the road, hence no road tax. As a seafarer and being away for long periods, I have to tax my car for the 3mths im on leave, so it expires as I go back to sea. Hence when I return from sea I have difficulty retaxing my car as it has been off the road and untaxed while im away.

Just to clarify the other point, im not implying resentment towards the Garda is everywhere, but I have found it to be quiet widespread in different parts of the country. Again, it is not always justified, but surely any serving garda would experience this from time to time. Also, I wasent saying all garda are like certain one's in Donegal, was just citing that as an example of resentment. I understand most Garda are honest and hardworking, but there is always going to be resentment against the Garda (or police in most countries). My point is that every effort should be made to limit this, making your job easier as more people will cooperate with and trust the Garda .

Noticed recently in New York, the NYPD have a "Courtesy, Professionalism, Respect" campaign ongoing, believe something similar here could be beneficial

Apology accepted (although its a lot like Police Academy:)). Your car tax story is acceptable.

Yes we do get resentment, but normally from someone with an Axe to gring. To say resentment is widespread is totally inaccurate. AGS work quite hard to remain an unarmed force that relys on the community. Believe it or not but if we didnt police with the consent and help of the citzens of the state then we would be at a loss. Every effort is being made to remain a courteous service from small things like saying hello to the locals, calling to old people for the cupa tea to bigger ones like community policing projects.

In relation to the NYPD, was there for Paddys day. To be honest I found them very stand off ish until they found out I was a Garda. Very hard to talk to and approach but thats besides the point.

The main point here Tom is neither of us know why a Patrol car parked there. If i saw a member parking in a disabled space i'd hit the roof....as most members would. But the fact is they could have been dealing with a violent prisoner in the cell etc. You have to be an offical driver to move a patrol car (and in Dublin there are very few on a unit) so thats why someone else didnt move it.

Lads, it may be time to lay off the chap here. He only posted it as he saw it and the comment about grudges was probably more about naivety than anything else. To be truthful most people that have the "grudge" theory that tommy has usually get it all second hand and made up anyway. The "holding a grudge" bit doesn't happen. It never did and there is an ombudsman now to ensure it won't happen. No need to get all defensive because we all know that the Guards posting here could be right and so could he. It might simply have been pure laziness and lack of thought on the patrol car driver's part.

I have a problem with anyone parking in disabled bays like I have a problem with anyone using a mobile phone while driving. Not all Guards that flout the latter are making emergency calls (as is legally permitted), they just don't think about what it might look like to others that expect us to set an example.

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Lads, it may be time to lay off the chap here. He only posted it as he saw it and the comment about grudges was probably more about naivety than anything else. To be truthful most people that have the "grudge" theory that tommy has usually get it all second hand and made up anyway. The "holding a grudge" bit doesn't happen. It never did and there is an ombudsman now to ensure it won't happen. No need to get all defensive because we all know that the Guards posting here could be right and so could he. It might simply have been pure laziness and lack of thought on the patrol car driver's part.

I have a problem with anyone parking in disabled bays like I have a problem with anyone using a mobile phone while driving. Not all Guards that flout the latter are making emergency calls (as is legally permitted), they just don't think about what it might look like to others that expect us to set an example.

Agreed

(although members are exempt from using their mobile phone in the course of their duties...not just emergency calls. Its the public that are exempt while making an emergency 999/112 call:D:D:D:D:D)

Agreed

(although members are exempt from using their mobile phone in the course of their duties...not just emergency calls. Its the public that are exempt while making an emergency 999/112 call:D:D:D:D:D)

I doff my hat sir for thou art indeed correct:)

I doff my hat sir for thou are indeed correct:)

NGA.....sharing the knowledge:D

Agreed

Nicely back on topic too!

• Advertisement

NGA.....sharing the knowledge:D

Ya can't beat the young 'uns for the knowledge. I always let someone else read the circular then give me the general jist of things. I have a reputation as a general waste of space to uphold you know!

Ya can't beat the young 'uns for the knowledge. I always let someone else read the circular then give me the general jist of things. I have a reputation as a general waste of space to uphold you know!

That makes too of us too. In Traffic we just leech off one of the student on their two week placement;)
    Amazing what you learn from the pups!!

Nicely back on topic too!

O you know me too well dw:D

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

i just randomly came upon this thread off the front page and was wondering, what's the thinking behind gardai being allowed to use their mobile phones behind the wheel? they are just as likely to be distracted and cause an accident as anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

csm wrote: »
    i just randomly came upon this thread off the front page and was wondering, what's the thinking behind gardai being allowed to use their mobile phones behind the wheel? they are just as likely to be distracted and cause an accident as anyone else.

First off its not only Gardai who are allowed to use their mobiles while driving. All Emergency Service personnel are allowed to as well, while on duty, as are civilians who are calling an Emergency Service. So if you are driving home one day and spot another who you think is drunk, you are permitted to use your phone to call Gardai and follow that driver. This happens everyday of the week across the country.

The reason why Emergency Service people are allowed to use their own phones or state issued phones is because of the radio system which is both unsecure, unreliable and patchy at best.

Because members of AGS who are official drivers are trained above and beyond that of a civilian. It is also required to fufill Policing duties a the moment. As official drivers we are trained to be fully alert while driving and planning every mile of road in advance. So in general a good AGS driver will not be distracted by it.:)

Section 3 (2) RTA 2006 is the legistation.

Also members and public should be aware that this legislation covers two way radios/ CBs that taxis use and also information systems, such as sat navs and in car entertainment systems (aimed at ipods etc):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

seems fair. i presume this is only when on duty, and off duty you revert to the civilian rule of 'only in an emergency'? or does the law make any distinction between an on-duty and off-duty driver?

seems fair. i presume this is only when on duty, and off duty you revert to the civilian rule of 'only in an emergency'? or does the law make any distinction between an on-duty and off-duty driver?

As a rule yes once you finish work then your under normal RTA law. That said a Garda is always on duty, so if the call is work related then it is in the course of his duties and so he/she would be exempt.

Of course as i said this is all in the course of his/her duties....not calling the wife to have then dinner on:D

Things you wish were common knowledge........but aren't
    The "holding a grudge" bit doesn't happen.

I could a saved meself lookin like a mug...

Things you wish were common knowledge........but aren't

I could a saved meself lookin like a mug...

Nobody.....well most arent mugs here:)!!!

Healthy debate is always good!!:D:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Say you are going to a suicude. Often control will get your phone number and ring you rather that give it out over the radio.

Why??

Because maybe 100-150 other people might be listeneing to the radio, maybe a relative or friend of the person who is swinging naked from the rafters.

Hardly the way somebody wants to hear somebody is dead, over command and control radio.

So yeah mostly when gardai are on the phone it is for work purposes. Our station radios barelt fork a mile away from the station. They are useless. So we all use our own personal phones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement