Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Edge of Tomorrow (Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt, Bill Paxton!)

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

The book's ending is a lot darker.
    Keiji (Cage in the movie) and Rita find each other pretty much like the movie. This time, different to the movie, they have to kill all the antennae (Alphas) and then destroy the nexus (Omega). When they kill the nexus the day is reset again because they missed one Alpha. The day resets, they kill him but then Rita attacks Keiji telling him they are both acting as antennae and one of them has to die before killing the nexus. He kills her then the nexus and that's how it ends.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, I don't get get the love for that original title, it screams of the kind of clumsy mistranslation and bad grammar you see on many tourist photos as they snap the improper or funny/silly use of English by the Japanese. 'All You Need is Kill', god even saying it out loud sounds clumsy and awkward. And frankly it means even less than 'Edge of Tomorrow'; that title was no great shakes, with 'Live, Die. Repeat' being a much more intriguing variant. The original Japanese just looks like ... well, Engrish.

All that said, I don't think the title alone was the reason this movie under-performed at the box office; I'm not entirely sure what was the reason, but I doubt very much the title had that much to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    The book's ending is a lot darker.
    Keiji (Cage in the movie) and Rita find each other pretty much like the movie. This time, different to the movie, they have to kill all the antennae (Alphas) and then destroy the nexus (Omega). When they kill the nexus the day is reset again because they missed one Alpha. The day resets, they kill him but then Rita attacks Keiji telling him they are both acting as antennae and one of them has to die before killing the nexus. He kills her then the nexus and that's how it ends.

Nice dark ending but
    how would Rita be an antennae? It's Keiji that is the one resetting the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Bacchus wrote: »
    Nice dark ending but
    how would Rita be an antennae? It's Keiji that is the one resetting the day
    Basically both of their brains had been rewired by the process. They were exactly like antennas, when they were killed the day started over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

pixelburp wrote: »
    All that said, I don't think the title alone was the reason this movie under-performed at the box office; I'm not entirely sure what was the reason, but I doubt very much the title had that much to do with it.

It could have been something to do with Cruise's previous movie, Oblivion. As enjoyable a movie as that was, EoT was probably too similar looking. A bit of "Cruise in sci-fi thriller" fatigue perhaps?

Marketing was sh*t for it too as far as I can remember. I don't remember many TV spots or posters or anything for it when it came out. Also, didn't come out in the mix of a load of movies targeting the same audience (Godzilla, X-Men, Captain America, Trancedence, Spiderman).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Basically both of their brains had been rewired by the process. They were exactly like antennas, when they were killed the day started over.
    I think that's why they changed that angle in the movie. They declare that Cage is like an Alpha (rather than an Antenna) and that's why the space frequency transbobulator thingy can 'track' the signal back to the Omega.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

"All you need is kill" is undoubtedly a silly title but it's weird enough to catch people's attention if for no other reason than "what the hell does that mean?". When the film was announced originally it piqued my interest for that very reason.

"Edge of Tomorrow" on the other hand sounds like a beige, middle of the road, straight to dvd, SciFi Channel, generic title.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

All you kills are belong to us!! that's the title right there! Great film, my wife actually really enjoyed it and stayed awake without playing that stupid farm game on her phone! that's about as good a review that is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Sequel in the works.

Many Timelines!

Excellent!

https://twitter.com/DougLiman/status/1217165872541917184

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Slydice wrote: »
    Sequel in the works.

Many Timelines!

Excellent!

https://twitter.com/DougLiman/status/1217165872541917184

I hate their attempts to rename the film to Live Die Repeat. They tried this on the Bluray cover of the first film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I hate their attempts to rename the film to Live Die Repeat. They tried this on the Bluray cover of the first film.

I believe That was what the director originally wanted to call it. The studio made a balls of the marketing and decided to use it when they released DVDs and it seems like it helped sales.

Very enjoyable film, watched it again recently and it holds up well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Drumpot wrote: »
    I believe That was what the director originally wanted to call it. The studio made a balls of the marketing and decided to use it when they released DVDs and it seems like it helped sales.

Very enjoyable film, watched it again recently and it holds up well.
    I was kind of attached to the (possibly mistranslated) title of the source material - All You Need is Kill. Edge of Tomorrow was as bland a title as a you could possibly focus group, like a rejected Bond movie title. Almost anything was better than it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Tock

Live, die, repeat is like a bad spanish translation of the movie plot. I think edge of tomorrow is fine - not sure if a sequel is a good idea, the original was great, in tom cruises scifi phase along with oblivion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭tibruit

Really liked this movie. It slipped under the radar a bit at the time. I think this happens quite a bit with movies with complex plots. You need a second or third viewing to appreciate the intricacies of the story. Wouldn`t be a big fan of Cruise, but Emily Blunt......who`d have thought after The Devil Wears Prada that she could morph into a kick ass action hero. Looking forward to a sequel. There`s a lot of directions they could go with it. As it stands at the end of the first one Cruises character can start off the sequel in live, die, repeat mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Slydice wrote: »
    Sequel in the works.

:rolleyes:

No need. The first movie was perfectly fine. There's no reason to stink it up.

• Advertisement

mikhail wrote: »
    I was kind of attached to the (possibly mistranslated) title of the source material - All You Need is Kill. Edge of Tomorrow was as bland a title as a you could possibly focus group, like a rejected Bond movie title. Almost anything was better than it.

Edge of Tomorrow is a great name

Standing on the edge not able to get there and knowing it all comes to an end one way or another, once tomorrow comes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Name ranking for this film:

1. All You Need Is Kill
    2. Edge of Tomorrow
    3. Groundhog Day
    4. Live Die Repeat

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"All You Need is Kill" was, and will always remain, a deeply stupid name and while the two replacements are no great shakes, the original is exactly the kind of mangled Japanoglish infamous of the region.

'All Your Kill are Belong to Us'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

pixelburp wrote: »
    "All You Need is Kill" was, and will always remain, a deeply stupid name

Exactly - gloriously stupid!

• Advertisement

Exactly - gloriously stupid!

Nope, sorry. Just stupid :D I'm not immune to the charm of wonky translations, but that title's less "charmingly stupid", and more "oh god he has been sniffing the glue" stupid ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

How about Tomorrow, On the Edge of Kill. Repeat!

:pac:

CatFromHue wrote: »
    How about Tomorrow, On the Edge of Kill. Repeat!

:pac:

That's the sequel title sorted.

"For Tomorrow We Die"

Can we all please agree that there shall be gnashing of teeth, should there be a "2morrow" anywhere near the title?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

"For Tomorrow We Die"

Can we all please agree that there shall be gnashing of teeth, should there be a "2morrow" anywhere near the title?

2morrow 2fast 4u!

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Kill Tom Tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I’m going with
    Happy Live, Die, Repeat Day 2u: The Sands of Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭El Duda

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

The gif that keeps on giffing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Rewatched this last weekend and it confirmed to me that it's one of the top 3 best Popcorn films of the last ten years

Is there anything similar from recent years in terms of quality Popcorn movies that aren't overly dumb?

I wouldn't mind watching it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Oblivion is decent.

Oblivion is decent.

Compared to Edge Of Tomorrow?

It's shíte ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

I'd say another film with Emily blunt is equally as good, "Looper".

santana75 wrote: »
    I'd say another film with Emily blunt is equally as good, "Looper".

Yes I enjoyed that

I forgot Emily was in it too

Predestination
    The Martian
    Life
    Upgrade
    Lucy
    Passengers
    Prometheus
    Ex-Machina (verging towards arthouse)

Scifis of the 2010s that I've liked aside from the ones mentioned.

Advertisement