Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edge of Tomorrow (Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt, Bill Paxton!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Enjoyed it aswell, but can someone explain why in some scenes:
    Cruises character was a big successful media relations major that people stood to attention for and then the next day was a deserter and a traitor that nobody recognizes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Thargor wrote: »
    Enjoyed it aswell, but can someone explain why in some scenes:
    Cruises character was a big successful media relations major that people stood to attention for and then the next day was a deserter and a traitor that nobody recognizes?

He was a major in the American army. He said at the start that the general had no authority over him.

There seem to be a lot of majors in the US army (https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100503140725AANo2Tq)

I wasn't asking what a Major was, I'm asking why is he a successful officer in one scene and a traitor and a deserter in another. If he was only impersonating an officer how was he on all the news programmes and getting helicopter rides over London etc?

I wasn't asking what a Major was, I'm asking why is he a successful officer in one scene and a traitor and a deserter in another.
    Because he tried to blackmail the general.

The second bit (why did nobody recognise him), was because he was a major in the US army.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Perhaps the combat troops in the squad did recognise him as familiar to the PR guy on TV, but as he was being introduced as a deserter (the lowest of life in the army) then that would have been the tag that stuck with him

• Advertisement

timetogo wrote: »
    Because he tried to blackmail the general.

The second bit (why did nobody recognise him), was because he was a major in the US army.
    Wow I must have zoned out and missed that spoiler! I had climbed Djouce mountain earlier in the day :D

Spent a lot of the film wondering why the timelines were different over missing that little spoiler, doh...

Wow I must have zoned out and missed that spoiler! I had climbed Djouce mountain earlier in the day :D

Spent a lot of the film wondering why the timelines were different over missing that little spoiler, doh...

That would have been a confusing film so. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

After this, I want to now see Emily Blunt's take on Sarah Connor.

I don't know anyone could say Emilia Clarke would be better, even though they are clearly aiming for somebody a decade younger or so than Blunt.

I would watch a buddy cop comedy with Cruise and Blunt, hey that even sounds like a good title! :D

This was also the best Resistance: Fall of Man movie ever,
    in respects to taking back Europe (Meteor landing in Germany, as opposed to Tugaska, Russia)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

good film and but did they ultimately not despite trying there hardest fall back into the 'man dragging women around by the hand' film we've so much of (think of the other emily blunt film the Adjustment Bureau and its poster http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1385826/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_12)

she may have been the the full metal bitch but no longer and she does have to pulled around by cruise now in order to get anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

good film and but did they ultimately not despite trying there hardest fall back into the 'man dragging women around by the hand' film we've so much of (think of the other emily blunt film the Adjustment Bureau and its poster http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1385826/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_12)

she may have been the the full metal bitch but no longer and she does have to pulled around by cruise now in order to get anywhere.

Vrataski was the full metal bltch because she had knowledge of the future. Losing that ability was why she was at a disadvantage compared to Cage, not because she was a woman. Any man would have had to have been guided/helped given the scenario.

• Advertisement

Goldstein wrote: »
    Vrataski was the full metal bltch because she had knowledge of the future. Losing that ability was why she was at a disadvantage compared to Cage, not because she was a woman. Any man would have had to have been guided/helped given the scenario.

yes i know but ultimately thats what we see on screen for most of the film, her being led around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

yes i know but ultimately thats what we see on screen for most of the film, her being led around.

Yeah, was a shame, although I really enjoyed EOT.

Would definitely check out a Full Metal Bitch movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Overall pretty decent and a grand spectacle in the cinema. So much to like in nearly all of the film, except as said here earlier, the final scenes was total cruise control CGI gruel. Shame, though as it could have been something pretty special if it didn't go down that route.

I totally didn't understand
    the corny ending. Was that put in for people who didn't understand the entire movie? Arrgh is that me? :pac:

Also, I thought Tom did well. Bill Paxton was fun too.

did she turn out to be the full metal dream bitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Does anyone know why Edge of Tomorrow has a shot of an Irish soldier marching behind a Piranha APC (probably from an Easter Parade, I think the GPO is in the background) in the prologue, and a shot of an Irish Tricolour at the end of the road in FOB Heathrow?

These things don't survive the Editing process for no reason.

OzCam wrote: »
    Does anyone know why Edge of Tomorrow has a shot of an Irish soldier marching behind a Piranha APC (probably from an Easter Parade, I think the GPO is in the background) in the prologue, and a shot of an Irish Tricolour at the end of the road in FOB Heathrow?

The army is made up of soldiers from all around the world so it makes sense to have some Irish in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Just saw this... I am a big Sci Fi fan and this was one of my favourites... highly recommended...

Also... for us Paddies... the general in charge is Irish and keeps his Irish accent... thank you Mr Gleeson...

And... is Jeremy Piven in it? I have tried to emulate Ari Gold in my worklife and marriage, but I don't remember him in the film???

and the fat irish general?

The army is made up of soldiers from all around the world so it makes sense to have some Irish in there

Well obviously, but why ours?

Despite the Defence Forces' stellar reputation in peacekeeping and training, there are lots of other armies they could have used. The entire Irish Army is slightly smaller than the UK 16 Air Assault Brigade, and smaller than some Regiments in the USMC.

Why not the Canadians, or Russians, or Chinese, or Aussies, or Belgians, or Germans or whatever?

So my question is: was there an Irish connection in the making of EoT? Direction? Production? Financing? Set Dressing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For a little local colour? I don't recall the prologue that well, but they probably just used some stock military footage from the EU for legitimacy's sake. It was odd all right that Gleeson used his natural accent, but I got the impression he was a general in the British army, not Irish. Either way I don't think it was a big thing or that deliberate beyond underlining just how international the effort was. The Russians and Chinese were mentioned as holding up the Eastern front so I guess that's why they didn't feature. Armies on mainland Europe probably got wiped out during the initial phases of the war, so it would stand to reason all that was left were those from the UK, Ireland and Nordic countries (iirc there were a few Swedish flags knocking about too) and there was no sign of any German or French soldiers.

• Advertisement

Realistically the Edge of Tomorrow was right in that the only way we'll ever survive an invasion is through the use of time travel.

It's amazing how having infinite lives in a movie has the counter intutive effect where that the characters feel more vulnerable than any film I've seen in years.

I like the details with the Irish Flag, I'd imagine there was mass exodus/flight of people/refugees from Europe to the British Isles exponentially increasing their population, and the UK and Ireland's defence forces were bolstered to an unprecedented level by the United States.

Loved the wartime feel of Whitehall, quiet, shutdown, even eerie with sandbags and garbage just piling up. Where are all the people besides the elderly? ammunitions factories, That's world building. I'm mad for all those allusions to a modern day WW2 scenario, retro future style.

pixelburp wrote: »
    It was odd all right that Gleeson used his natural accent, but I got the impression he was a general in the British army, not Irish.

Yes, he was wearing MultiCam. It's not a PCS MTP shirt, I don't think they were on issue when the movie was shot, and the Canadian-style slotted buttons indicate that it may have been made up by the costume dept. British utility shirts have hidden buttons. The nametape over the left breast pocket is very British though.

Lots of people with Irish accents in the British Army, and not just in the Irish Guards. Stands to reason that one of them will make General sooner or later.

(Sorry. Camo nerd.)

Well obviously, but why ours?

Despite the Defence Forces' stellar reputation in peacekeeping and training, there are lots of other armies they could have used. The entire Irish Army is slightly smaller than the UK 16 Air Assault Brigade, and smaller than some Regiments in the USMC.

Why not the Canadians, or Russians, or Chinese, or Aussies, or Belgians, or Germans or whatever?

So my question is: was there an Irish connection in the making of EoT? Direction? Production? Financing? Set Dressing?

Why not ours? from watching the film it's obvious that there is no longer separate armies but one united front, the broad range of accents used by the soldiers in Cruise's own team shows this.

Did anyone else notice how the credit visuals and song were akin to the Bourne films? (Doug Liman directed the first, IDENTITY?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

According to Wikipedia Brigham is a Genera of the "NATO-led United Defense Forces (UDF)"

FunLover18 wrote: »
    According to Wikipedia Brigham is a Genera of the "NATO-led United Defense Forces (UDF)"

it might have taken an alien invasion for Ireland to join Nato

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

According to an interview with the scriptwriter, the ending was originally going to be darker and more of a downer:
    http://filmschoolrejects.com/features/edge-of-tomorrow-ending-alternate.php

Cue the 'typical Hollywood' comments, but honestly that above ending sounds terrible and just confirms to me that darker is not always better. What we got was a bit too pat sure, but narratively it worked fine within the context of the adventure.

Why not ours?

Because the Irish Army isn't even a speck of dust on the desk of the radar screen of Hollywood. Apart from messrs Gleeson, Neeson, Byrne and the delectable Ms Ronan I'd be astonished if anyone in Hollywood even knows we have a regular army.

So to get two product placements in a blockbuster movie like that is a major achievement. Maybe Gleeson suggested it?

BTW, The Army has participated in NATO-led missions before. I think Kosovo was the first, but I'm open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

According to an interview with the scriptwriter, the ending was originally going to be darker and more of a downer:

Cue the 'typical Hollywood' comments, but honestly that above ending sounds terrible and just confirms to me that darker is not always better. What we got was a bit too pat sure, but narratively it worked fine within the context of the adventure.

Agreed. I think a dark ending would have been totally at odds with what the tone of the entire film which had been relatively light-hearted and fun.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,116 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That just says it would have ended with him
    waking in the helicopter rather than showing him going and finding Blunt's character as well?

Would definitely have preferred what we got instead of that for sure, but I would have preferred
    himself and Blunt just staying dead after the saved the world
    to either scenario, that seemed like the natural ending to me.

Advertisement