Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National guild of master craftsmen?

Options
  • 21-08-2012 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi guys iv been approached by a rep from the guild asking me was i interested in joining the guild which costs 295 plus vat and a yearly cost after of 195 plus vat/year, Im just wondering what other tradesmens experiences are and whether ye got much work or benifit from it?From what i can gather any tom dick or harry can join once you get 5 references?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

I am on the customer side of the house.

While looking for a plumber last year, I was directed to the guilds master craftsmen site.

In my area there are 2 plumbers that my familly have had first hand experience with and wouldn't every deal with again. They were both on the guilds list.

Just my 2 cents worth...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭snoopmadra

it's a racket!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭jakko86

snoopmadra wrote: »
    it's a racket!
    Have you had experiences with the guild or a member, I dunno he gave me a big speil about allianz ins joining them and age action ireland which he described as 'exciting'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

They are a joke ask yourself why would they ASK you to join (no insult by the way on yourself ) but they will take anyone all they want is your cash .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

snoopmadra wrote: »
    it's a racket!

more of a "boys club".........

I dont know of too many members of associations (I include them all) who would be able to state what been a member has done for them.

• Advertisement

kkelliher wrote: »
    more of a "boys club".........

I dont know of too many members of associations (I include them all) who would be able to state what been a member has done for them.
    Ya thats what i thought i looked into some of the tradesmen on the site i knew a few from my area and some are not qualified at all and a far cry from a 'master craftsman'.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 robinod180

Has much changed since then as I joined over 2months ago as I got asked to join before Xmas. I joined on the strength of him telling me that I would get a lot of insurance work from being a member. I still haven't received anything from them but when I rang I was told that because I am paying in installments I wouldn't be a recognised member until after the 5th month. This means that I will only get 7months membership after paying for 12. I was not told this would be the case when I signed up. I was told no money would be taken until I was an approved member,2 payments are gone already!! I am having my suspicions now and not 1 call yet. Should I try to get my money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Imho, it's a racket, period.

I had the misfortune of engaging someone from that 'guild' a number of years ago. Long story short it ended up in acrimony, court and someone folding their tent and leaving me swinging in the wind with an awful lot of rework.........

The only guilding going on there is their bank accounts tbh........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

There are loads of, Web-sites, Associations, Guilds, etc, etc, guaranteeing you work, on payment of a Membership Fee.

My response is .....I will pay the Fee in 3 instalments....from the income from the first 3 jobs you get me.

Never see them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

I agree with the above sentiment but I think its a real shame as I like the idea. If they vetted their members better I might consider joining them. As it I think it carries less weight than a national trades cert or C&G trade cert.

• Advertisement

Ya as the original poster I'm glad I didn't join I looked into there members and saw a few members that I had to laugh at as "master craftsmen" after that and the advice of people here I gave it a miss and glad i did!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 john doe 11

Hi Guys. Im a member of the national guild. And I agree with yous all. There a scam. Money racket. Take money from your account without permission and dont give you any work. My advice stay clear. I only use them for the cert and van stickers. Other than that your wasting a lot of money

Hi guys. Update for you. I paid my renewal 2 months ago with them for 240 only to be suspended a week after paying due to scandalous complaint from 1 customer. Lesson to be learned - pay with credit card and get it chargeback when they act the ballox with you. Wish yous all the best - National Guild me ballox. Stay clear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Hi Guys. Im a member of the national guild. And I agree with yous all. There a scam. Money racket. Take money from your account without permission and dont give you any work. My advice stay clear. I only use them for the cert and van stickers. Other than that your wasting a lot of money
    Hi guys. Update for you. I paid my renewal 2 months ago with them for 240 only to be suspended a week after paying due to scandalous complaint from 1 customer. Lesson to be learned - pay with credit card and get it chargeback when they act the ballox with you. Wish yous all the best - National Guild me ballox. Stay clear

Did they ask for the Van stickers back,:rolleyes:

I sent in a long email to officially cancel my membership and ask for a refund. Since March, not a single phone call about work.

Not 1 phone call or email in response to my email. Typical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

martinn123 wrote: »
    Did they ask for the Van stickers back,:rolleyes:

The craftsmen manufacturing the stickers are doing well I hear...........

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: I have deleted a number of posts for everybody's sake. Please...no more libellous discussions.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Mod Note: I have deleted a number of posts for everybody's sake. Please...no more libellous discussions.
    Libellous ? Its facts

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Libellous ? Its facts

....in your opinion.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    ....in your opinion.
    Seems like everyone on here has the same opion as do Aib bank............

• Advertisement

No probs thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pistolslapper

Met with [snip] today. Real smooth and hooked me right in. Looks like I'll be cancelling the card in the morn. Was looking into ciri but that's the bones of €800. Is there any need to have a company say your a competent tradesman. I like the idea but I'll let my work do the convincing I'd say.

Met with [snip] today. Real smooth and hooked me right in. Looks like I'll be cancelling the card in the morn. Was looking into ciri but that's the bones of €800. Is there any need to have a company say your a competent tradesman. I like the idea but I'll let my work do the convincing I'd say.

Mate cancel straight away - highly advised. Ive just received chargeback on my card

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pistolslapper

Mate cancel straight away - highly advised. Ive just received chargeback on my card

Cancelled it already. I'd be gutted if he took my last €25 off me. At least he bought me a coffee ;-)

Cancelled it already. I'd be gutted if he took my last €25 off me. At least he bought me a coffee ;-)

Ha ha. You did right thing believe me. I want everyone who can be fooled by these to get the right info on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Xtraroom

hi Lads,
    I was just goggling the Guild looking for some info etc and came across your comments on Boards. I thought thank god
    im not the only one of who was taking in with this scam.. same crack calling to my door promising the job leads linked to major insurance company's etc.etc phoned him and got the usual ( your name is first in the list for work.. ill give u a call in a day or two..) . no call back and no job leads and now no answer to his phone.. I even emailed with no reply twice!! what can we do with this man ? small claims court ? is there any way we can all get together on this one ?

I would be delighted to but I'm sure they have every angle covered! I still have received no response after all this time and I wanted a refund of the wasted money i handed over. Close to €600

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

robinod180 wrote: »
    I would be delighted to but I'm sure they have every angle covered! I still have received no response after all this time and I wanted a refund of the wasted money i handed over. Close to €600

Do you mind me asking what the 600 was for .
    They are a right shower when I went to DIT 1 of the teachers used to joke saying if we don't study hard we will end up joining the guild of master craftsmen to get work .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Xtraroom

small claims court seems to me the only way as far as I can see. I rang him a couple of times today. turned his phone off!! text him as well. took 600 off me as well. has to be a come back against this fella. wonder how many lads he said the same things to? took 5 months for my name on a list and a couple of stickers!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement