Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brighterdays

Jofspring wrote: »
    I'd nearly say all three will close. What I reckoned end of lease sale meant was "our lease(s) are up and the rent is sky rocketing so we are another local business leaving the crescent".

Eh. Without sounding miserable - it's shocking it stayed that long anyway. Or maybe not the way Limerick's menswear is... I'm all for local businesses but a shop that sells the same tack as Noels, or BT's, is just boring and really shouldn't have such prime space.

These shops selling G-Star jeans, Superdry plaid shirts and Abercrombie-ish hoodies with 50 shades of beige cargo shorts all need to die out. They're ten a penny and dated as hell. The Crescent obviously want to skew younger and it's legit a case of out with the old. They're right to do it, honestly. If they didn't push they'd end up being Arthurs Quay with the same tenants and no growth.

I think it's exciting. Local or not, stores that are stuck 10 years ago are more damaging to Limerick. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

It's definitely only the small Conolly Man unit that's closing. The others are business as usual.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is Willie Sextons closed?Heard its gone

Eh. Without sounding miserable - it's shocking it stayed that long anyway. Or maybe not the way Limerick's menswear is... I'm all for local businesses but a shop that sells the same tack as Noels, or BT's, is just boring and really shouldn't have such prime space.

These shops selling G-Star jeans, Superdry plaid shirts and Abercrombie-ish hoodies with 50 shades of beige cargo shorts all need to die out. They're ten a penny and dated as hell. The Crescent obviously want to skew younger and it's legit a case of out with the old. They're right to do it, honestly. If they didn't push they'd end up being Arthurs Quay with the same tenants and no growth.

I think it's exciting. Local or not, stores that are stuck 10 years ago are more damaging to Limerick. IMO.

Is G star not very popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭dunworth1

bigpink wrote: »

I've heard rumors of it closing for the last few months alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Walked past last night around 8 and it was all locked up.

Just past it myself locked up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Is G star not very popular?

Reasonably popular alright and Connollys is the one and only shop in Limerick that sells it so that was a strange post from yer man although I agree with some of what he says about the dated and samey nature of menswear in Limerick.
    I've complained about Connollys in the past but they've improved a little recently, perhaps a new buyer?
    It is indeed only one of the Connollys that is shutting up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

I think Tony Connolly's have gotten worse if anything. Their shops in the crescent are brutal and the ones on Patrick Street not much better unless you want to look like Conor McGregor. The last year or two I generally walk in and out without buying anything and used to buy a good bit there. I bought one t-shirt there last year and that was overpriced compared to the same one elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I can never find decent cargo shorts when I want them? :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

I'd nearly say all three will close. What I reckoned end of lease sale meant was  "our lease(s) are up and the rent is sky rocketing so we are another local business leaving the crescent".
    No Chapps is remaining for now, the other two are closing. That part of the Crescent is being refurbed, units amalgamated with the result being much larger units. The rents are also increasing considerably.
    dunworth1 wrote: »
    Exeggcute wrote: »
    I seriously doubt that

why? the rent is extortionate i wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to make a big scene as a tactic to get the rent reduced
    It's not a play, decision was made a while back. I reported this myself ages ago on here. There are a lot of businesses struggling in the Crescent at the moment (including some of the franchises, which are owned by local business people) and a lot of them will not be able to absorb another rent increase, which is inevitable, so Connolly's won't be the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

I'd nearly say all three will close. What I reckoned end of lease sale meant was  "our lease(s) are up and the rent is sky rocketing so we are another local business leaving the crescent".

I think the general quality of men's clothes in the Crescent is appalling. It's grand if you're 21, on a budget and not overly bothered about quality product. But if you're a bit older and have cottoned on to the fact that it's far better to spend €90 on a quality brand product than €50 on say a Jack & Jones product which will wash well for a few months, if you're lucky, well then there is literally nothing for you in the Crescent unless you are a Tommy Hilfiger fan. There is actually better quality product in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The Crescent possibly needs a BT2 in terms of mens clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Or a Massimo Dutti

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It definately need another Starbucks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Would a kebab/pizza unit do well in the Crescent? Seems to be a huge demand for them in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭dunworth1

marno21 wrote: »
    Would a kebab/pizza unit do well in the Crescent? Seems to be a huge demand for them in the city centre.

the crescent could do with a proper family chipper type place actually.
    something like the golden grill or Enzos

I think the demand in the city really comes from the deliveries

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Only if the Crescent had a nightclub and a few late bars too!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Crescent is seriously lacking in a bookies to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Berty wrote: »

There is enough bookies in Limerick already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Jofspring

davo2001 wrote: »
    There is enough bookies in Limerick already!

True, if you stick one in the crescent it could be the final nail in the city trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A nice restaurant would be great in the Crescent SC. Not talking about another poor quality fast food place like KFC or Mickey D's. A Nando's or TGI Friday would be at least a step up from them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

As is Castletroy area.
    True, if you stick one in the crescent it could be the final nail in the city trade.

A Nandos in the Crescent would clean up, I'm surprised they haven't come to Limerick seeing as they've recently opened in Newbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

As is Castletroy area.

A Nandos in the Crescent would clean up, I'm surprised they haven't come to Limerick seeing as they've recently opened in Newbridge.

Talk of nandos and marks and Spencer should be banned in the limerick forum, it just brings out the frothing "it's over priced crap I prefer chicken hut / guineys any day" loons.

What am I saying?????? I love a good laugh at frothing foaming loons... bring it on "it's crap anyway" boys!

Missus says she'd like a bigger Penney's in the crescent. I wonder why they can't go up a floor. It's not as though there is a height restriction out there. The county county offices, or whatever it's called now, is much higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Bookies shops are becoming a thing of the past. It will keep moving online.

To be fair my Bookies comment was tongue in cheek. I think the city has enough and the demographic using it wouldn't be drawn to the crescent.

Bookies prob do great in the Cresent.Guys getting dragged around shopping

I'd love a Dealz in the crescent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Missus says she'd like a bigger Penney's in the crescent. I wonder why they can't go up a floor. It's not as though there is a height restriction out there. The county county offices, or whatever it's called now, is much higher.

Good point, there is a small bit of it in the new section but not much.

They could demolish the mall where Tesco is and go multi storey there, car park in basement.

I suppose eventually half the surface car parks will be replaced by multi storey car parks and the other half of the car parks converts into multi storey shopping outlets, and a Marks and Spencer.

Advertisement