Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Edge of Tomorrow (Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt, Bill Paxton!)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mickeroo wrote: »
    That just says it would have ended with him
    waking in the helicopter rather than showing him going and finding Blunt's character as well?

Would definitely have preferred what we got instead of that for sure, but I would have preferred
    himself and Blunt just staying dead after the saved the world
    to either scenario, that seemed like the natural ending to me.

Hmm, no there's this paragraph, mentioning a much different take on the last act;
    it seems the attack in Paris would have resulted in the day being reset & the Mimics now knowing of the assault, presumably then allowing no chance for the sacrificial, heroic ending:

"When Tom loses the power, and they go to Paris, and Tom is preparing the team as they go into Paris where he’s telling them the rules of the movie, he tells the team everything the audience knows," says McQuarrie. "Basically, he told them: ‘Kill as many Mimics as you want, but do not kill an Alpha. If you kill an alpha we’ll be right back here having this conversation, and we won’t even know it. The enemy will know we’re coming and they’ll kill us all.’ When they get to Paris there’s the classic horror movie scene where one of them gets separated from the group, and he gets attacked by an Alpha and kills it. As he kills it, you see the Omega reset the day and you see the point-of-view of the villain. We cut to the plane and hear the same speech all over again. This time when he gets to the line, "You can bet they’ll have a plan to kill us all,’ the ship gets hit. As the audience, you realize the enemy knows they’re coming. The problem was you were so exhausted by the time you got to that point."

I guess it doesn't definitely say that's how the movie would have ended, but it seems to be heavily implied given the mythology at play here.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmm, no there's this paragraph, mentioning a much different take on the last act;
    it seems the attack in Paris would have resulted in the day being reset & the Mimics now knowing of the assault, presumably then allowing no chance for the sacrificial, heroic ending:

"When Tom loses the power, and they go to Paris, and Tom is preparing the team as they go into Paris where he’s telling them the rules of the movie, he tells the team everything the audience knows," says McQuarrie. "Basically, he told them: ‘Kill as many Mimics as you want, but do not kill an Alpha. If you kill an alpha we’ll be right back here having this conversation, and we won’t even know it. The enemy will know we’re coming and they’ll kill us all.’ When they get to Paris there’s the classic horror movie scene where one of them gets separated from the group, and he gets attacked by an Alpha and kills it. As he kills it, you see the Omega reset the day and you see the point-of-view of the villain. We cut to the plane and hear the same speech all over again. This time when he gets to the line, "You can bet they’ll have a plan to kill us all,’ the ship gets hit. As the audience, you realize the enemy knows they’re coming. The problem was you were so exhausted by the time you got to that point."

I guess it doesn't definitely say that's how the movie would have ended, but it seems to be heavily implied given the mythology at play here.

Ah I thought that was just an extra scene that they pulled which our heroes would have eventually overcome somehow. Yeah that would have sucked balls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Weird one - apparently the film is being effectively renamed for home release to 'Live Die Repeat', with Edge of Tomorrow relegated to a small subtitle.

http://www.avclub.com/article/edge-tomorrow-has-been-rebranded-live-die-repeat-h-208199
    All You Need is Kill is still better

It should also be pointed out how **** that mock up BluRay cover is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭badabing106

Weird one - apparently the film is being effectively renamed for home release to 'Live Die Repeat', with Edge of Tomorrow relegated to a small subtitle.

http://www.avclub.com/article/edge-tomorrow-has-been-rebranded-live-die-repeat-h-208199
    All You Need is Kill is still better

It should also be pointed out how **** that mock up BluRay cover is.
    Edge of tomorrow was a terrible name for the movie. Completely meaningless. Live die repeat at least tells you about the interesting concept behind the movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Is there something wrong with me that I had no interest in seeing this in the cinema at the time but became filled with regret the second I saw Bill Paxton's name on this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It was really good, I'm really looking forward to seeing it again on blu ray./

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

A very good film, Id say my favourite of the year so far.

And Emily Blunt would get it many, many times

emily-blunt.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

:eek: ^^^^^

Different League

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Finally got around to watching this after missing it in the cinema.

I was really enjoying it and even didn't really mind the whole massive action sequences towards the end but man the ending really disappointed me. Took away from the rest of the movie.

Still, really did enjoy the majority.. it was both quite sad and funny throughout the film.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Watched it last night, really enjoyed it! Tom Cruise may be bat ****, but he's had a few decent films out recently

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I loved it & how it performed the Groundhog Day premise.

One thing with the ending though:
    Cage is coated in the blood of the Omega before he is sent back to the helicopter.
    Is that meant to leave the ending open to what he has become or actually is ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Long live practical effects and real sets. Great to see the green screen only used sparingly in the background especially given the action packed nature of the movie and complexity of many of the scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Just watched this again, man this was a classic, tight and tense all the way to the end
    But it's also the definition of underrated/chameleon and you believe its going to the just some random crap like pretty much everything that gets released in the mainstream nowadays.

I wish it would have stayed in cinemas longer.

In that above clip, I noticed that that was an actual pyrotechnics missile and not CGI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I watched this without any hope of me actually liking it and like most people here, I really enjoyed it. Good action, interesting story (although not entirely original - Starship Troopers meets Groundhog Day) and some fine performances.

You can see the same weariness creeping into Cruise's character as you see in Bill Murray's guy in Groundhog day and how really living each day once is enough when it comes down to it (except though if that one day depends on the survival of the human race of course :pac:)

I'd give it a solid 7\8 out of 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Damn, that's a lot of pyro. That looks like FUN!!

Blowing sh!t up for a living, it doesn't get any better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Why is Cruise on the frontline, i may have missed that part where he changes from PR to GI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Why is Cruise on the frontline, i may have missed that part where he changes from PR to GI.

Brendan Gleeson throws him in there in the opening scene where they're talking about the war effort. I can't remember why tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

krudler wrote: »
    Brendan Gleeson throws him in there in the opening scene where they're talking about the war effort. I can't remember why tbh.

Yeah he does, i assumed i missed a scene cos it didnt make sense why he goes in frontline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Yeah he does, i assumed i missed a scene cos it didnt make sense why he goes in frontline.

The general wants him to go to the frontline and get media shots etc but he refuses and tries to Blackmail the general, so he has him arrested for desertion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Going to watch this again.

Is there anything to look out for in the ending or anywhere else that is easily missed first time around? There's usually a few things overseen on first viewing with these kind of films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Saw it last night and really enjoyed it,really enjoy the sci fi movies Cruise has been starring in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Film of the year for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Future1

watched this yesterday, one of the best films ive seen in a while! story is very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Watched it last night expecting bland Cruise fodder. Was blown away!

Really enjoyed it. The mimics were savage, the D-Day landings were visceral which is so refreshing in cgi land.

Blunt, well, I think I've fallen in love.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

quad_red wrote: »

Really enjoyed it. The mimics were savage, the D-Day landings were visceral which is so refreshing in cgi land.

Back of the line pal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Going to watch this again.

Is there anything to look out for in the ending or anywhere else that is easily missed first time around? There's usually a few things overseen on first viewing with these kind of films.

You mean apart from the ending not making any sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Future1

You mean apart from the ending not making any sense?

what do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Why are so many people surprised by a decent TC movie? In the last few years he has made MI3 & MI4, Minority Report, War of the Worlds, Oblivion, Tropic Thunder and Collateral. Some are good and a couple are excellent films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

Best film this Summer, deserved to be top of the box office.

• Advertisement

Future1 wrote: »
    what do you mean?

I'l explain it later when I get home, but basically, time traveling and continuity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Back of the line pal!

There's another line over there> for the Johnny come latelys. He can go to the back of that one or there'll be a row.

Future1 wrote: »
    what do you mean?

Bear in mind, I really enjoyed this movie. While I was watching it, I thought it was great.

But...
    So my understanding of the way time travel works in this movie is, its controlled by the Omega, and channelled through the blue mimics right? So at the end of the movie, Tom destroys the Omega. How are we still traveling back in time if the Omega is dead? Who's controlling it? We got covered in blue mimic blood but it shouldn't make a difference right?

Why does Tom wake up back in the helicopter after that? The whole movie was spent waking up on a pallet of army supplies, why change it now to the helicopter?

And this is the big one. So lets say everyday he wakes is a Friday, and that on Toms last friday he destroys the Omega. So when he time travels again for the last time, and wakes up again on that same Friday. But the Omega has already been destroyed the previous night, the Thursday night. What? :confused:

That does not make any sense!

Again, I really like the movie. Its a solid 8/10 for me and they got a lot of it so right. But if they had just
    let Tom die like he should have, it would have been a much better movie for it. Its not like having Tom Cruise survive changes the story in any way, outcome is still the same.

It just seems to me like some Hollywood exec read the script and thought, no no no, we can't have our star die in the end! Black markered out the ending, and filled in his own.

Bear in mind, I really enjoyed this movie. While I was watching it, I thought it was great.

But...
    So my understanding of the way time travel works in this movie is, its controlled by the Omega, and channelled through the blue mimics right? So at the end of the movie, Tom destroys the Omega. How are we still traveling back in time if the Omega is dead? Who's controlling it? We got covered in blue mimic blood but it shouldn't make a difference right?

Why does Tom wake up back in the helicopter after that? The whole movie was spent waking up on a pallet of army supplies, why change it now to the helicopter?

And this is the big one. So lets say everyday he wakes is a Friday, and that on Toms last friday he destroys the Omega. So when he time travels again for the last time, and wakes up again on that same Friday. But the Omega has already been destroyed the previous night, the Thursday night. What? :confused:

That does not make any sense!

Again, I really like the movie. Its a solid 8/10 for me and they got a lot of it so right. But if they had just
    let Tom die like he should have, it would have been a much better movie for it. Its not like having Tom Cruise survive changes the story in any way, outcome is still the same.

It just seems to me like some Hollywood exec read the script and thought, no no no, we can't have our star die in the end! Black markered out the ending, and filled in his own.
    When he destroys the omega does he not absorb/ingest some of the omega blood. Would this give him control of the time travel? It still doesn't explain why the omega would be destroyed when he goes back though

When he destroys the omega does he not absorb/ingest some of the omega blood. Would this give him control of the time travel? It still doesn't explain why the omega would be destroyed when he goes back though

The Omega 'triggers' a backwards time jump when an Alpha ( a one in 7 million mega important high value mimic unit) is killed.

However, something about an innate human ability/sensitivity to time travel/extra dimensions means that if a human is covered with alpha blood he/she also 'becomes' part of the Omega's nervous system and 'becomes' like an alpha.

The human is then inadvertently catapulted back a day as well. The Omega then loses the ability to control the time loop - once the human keeps resetting it it keeps on going. The human is like a bug or a virus in the system.

The two issues at the end though, one is the classic time travel paradox. If I go back and change something then it doesn't happen. But then I don't go back and change it so it will happen again?

The second, the fact that he is thrown back to the helicopter before he lands. Well I presume that it's some sort of resetting of the time line. The excess energies from destroying the omega resulted in a bigger than normal jump back.

This is all obviously made up clap trap from a physics point of view. It's done to further the story. Was trying to give an explanation from the scriptwriters pov :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

this might interest some fans of the film, a b-roll... some great shots of the scenes..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spD2KAgBH-s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I really hope Star Wars Episode VII delivers on this level, on every level ; That's all I could think of on the rewatch. This film had a particular fun, zany, but also dangerous, slightly dark unpredictable feeling. It's also poignant out of left-field too.

The suspense in the last act is close to unbearable.

Adamantium wrote: »
    I really hope Star Wars Episode VII delivers on this level, on every level ; That's all I could think of on the rewatch. This film had a particular fun, zany, but also dangerous, slightly dark unpredictable feeling. It's also poignant out of left-field too.

The suspense in the last act is close to unbearable.

The Edge of Tomorrow had a gritty WW2/Aliens thing going on. Can't see Disney allowing Abrams to take Episode VII even as dark as the Empire Strikes Back never mind carnage ala the D-day landings in Edge of Tomorrow.

And on another topic - who the f**k picked the Edge of Tomorrow title? It's so blandly boring and meaningless. And hard to remember.

All you need is Kill is an amazing title. Even the movie's tagline, Live Die Repeat, would have been cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

All you need is Kill is an amazing title. Even the movie's tagline, Life Die Repeat, would have been cool.

They made "Live Die Repeat" much more prominent on the DVD/Blu-ray packaging. Edge of Tomorrow is practically a footnote on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

All you Need is Kill is even worse than Edge of Tomorrow imo, both of them meaningless and bland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Thargor wrote: »
    All you Need is Kill is even worse than Edge of Tomorrow imo, both of them meaningless and bland.

Yup, "All you Need is Kill" says nothing about the film and sounds like a B-movie action movie. Edge of Tommorrow is about as generic a title as you get.

"Live. Die. Repeat." is pretty cool, it stands out from the crowd, catching your attention and actually relates to the movie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They're all pretty awful to be honest, they sound like the cheesy titles they would laugh at on Best of the Worst:

http://redlettermedia.com/best-of-the-worst/

I like All You Need is Kill. Kinda inverts the Lennon-ism (all you need is love) for something quite jarring.

And to get out of the time loop you have to learn to become a serious hard ass killer. That's the journey - from cowardly buffoon stumbling around the battlefield unable to disengage this safety to stony faced killer.

Either way, Live Die Repeat is cooler alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I kind of explain it in my head as the creature existing across a span of time similar to how our presence is measured in height, width and depth (yes I'm calling you fat), this creature also has a large (again with the fat) temporal presence. This would mean that killing it at any point of it's current temporal span would extend back and forward to it's total temporal span.

who's to say there's not another being of the species further out in space that has control over omega's and a larger time control span?

The Edge of Tomorrow had a gritty WW2/Aliens thing going on. Can't see Disney allowing Abrams to take Episode VII even as dark as the Empire Strikes Back never mind carnage ala the D-day landings in Edge of Tomorrow.

Disney can go pretty dark, have you seen Toy Story 3? OK I know it's not D-Day landing dark but the furnace scene is seriously fúcking suspenseful. Abrams is also a very good director who can balance darkness with kid friendly. Super-8 and both Trek movies are PG-13 which I reckon is the target audience for SW.
    And on another topic - who the f**k picked the Edge of Tomorrow title? It's so blandly boring and meaningless. And hard to remember.

All you need is Kill is an amazing title. Even the movie's tagline, Live Die Repeat, would have been cool.

I think Edge Of Tomorrow works perfectly fine as a title. Tom's character is always on the edge of tomorrow but can't get there/won't because he keeps dying, bland yes but it somes up the basic premise fine. All You Need Is Kill? What's that supposed to mean!? Live Die Repeat is the best of the three.

All You Need Is Kill? What's that supposed to mean!?

It's the title of the novel the movie is based on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The complete lack of sense is what IMO makes All You Need Is Kill such a delightful title. It captures an irreverence and sense of fun that IMO suits the tone of the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Admit it, none of you had even heard of All You Need is Kill in the 10 years prior to the movie being released so all the faux-outrage and obsession over the movie's title is hilarious. You'd swear ye were all Japanese military sci-fi gurus :) Whatever it's called it was still the best large budget science fiction movie that we've seen in years.

pah wrote: »
    It's the title of the novel the movie is based on.

Still a stupid title.

Still a stupid title.

is it a direct translation of the Japanese? the meaning could be lost in translation

• Advertisement
Advertisement