Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mud run/obstacle training

Options
  • 02-01-2016 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm new to fitness, want to get fit and lose some weight. I'm going through fertility treatment and while we're taking a few months off after some failed attempts I figure this is the best time to get fit etc. It's bound to help with my stress levels and it might improve our chances with the treatment.

I have joined the Warehouse Gym in Galway and rather than just go to the gym I figured I should have something to work towards. There is a 6km mud run obstacle course in 8 weeks that I was thinking of doing. Is that enough time to get fit enough for these type of things? I don't expect to do it quickly or anything like that but just to be able to complete it and not to collapse after 3km would be great!

Any input would be great, I'm very unfit and have pretty much no upper body strength so not sure if it's a ridiculous idea or not!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

lashes34 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm new to fitness, want to get fit and lose some weight. I'm going through fertility treatment and while we're taking a few months off after some failed attempts I figure this is the best time to get fit etc. It's bound to help with my stress levels and it might improve our chances with the treatment.

I have joined the Warehouse Gym in Galway and rather than just go to the gym I figured I should have something to work towards. There is a 6km mud run obstacle course in 8 weeks that I was thinking of doing. Is that enough time to get fit enough for these type of things? I don't expect to do it quickly or anything like that but just to be able to complete it and not to collapse after 3km would be great!

Any input would be great, I'm very unfit and have pretty much no upper body strength so not sure if it's a ridiculous idea or not!

Yes it should be no problem to you. Start a program like couch to 5k.
    If you can get to a gym to lift weights, that'd help too. Speak to a personal trainer and get a program made up for you. But don't overdo the training either if you're only new to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

I've not posted here before, but just saw your post and since you're in Galway thought I'd mention this. There's a fit for life group that meets twice a week in westside, caters for runners of all abilities, from couch to 5k up to people aiming to improve times. I've found it great, met loads of people through it and got a lot fitter over the last 18 months. Lots of really encouraging people there! New term starts Monday the 11th I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

My thoughts are be careful with the mud run not only do you have to run the distance but you need to develope strength. Are you going to have to pull yourself over walls? Drag yourself through mud etc?

If so don't just focus on running need to look at weights & developing body strength. Look at crawling movements etc Exercise will definitely benefit on reducing stress but also look at meditation and mindfulness-see a thread has just started on the forum.

Summary in doing the obstacle run don't just focus on running!

Advertisement