Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

7 seater that isn' BIG

• 09-02-2016 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭

HI,
    Just looking for some opinions on a 7 seater that isn't a large people carrier (e.g. Ford S-Max/Renault Grand Scenic etc.); looking for either SUV or 'close to standard-sized car. The extra seats would be for 'occasional use' and not long runs.
    Currently looking at:
      [/
    • Nissian X-Trail
    • Kia Carens
    • Hyundai Santa Fe- lovely, expensive
    • Kia Sorento
    • Nissian Quashqi
      LIST]

I know the Toyota Verso gets recommended but we found the interior extremely drab. Thinking of new or down a few years, 2012 oldest.
      Cheers,
      Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

dinneenp wrote: »
    HI,
    Just looking for some opinions on a 7 seater that isn't big. extra seats would be for 'occasional use' and not long runs.
    Currently looking at:
    • Nissian X-Trail
    • Kia Carens
    • Hyundai Santa Fe- lovely, expensive
    • Kia Sorento
    • Nissian Quashqi
    By "not big", I assume you want a 5 seater which has two seats that are essentially the boot, but which can fold up into seats if needed?

Something like this, that has two seats that appear in the boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Renault Grand Scenic; Citroen Grand Picasso; Ford S-Max

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you don't need 7 all the time, why not look at the Honda FRV?

Smaller than all the others as it's a 3+3, more like a normal car to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

Cmax 7 seater

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

look out for an S-Max titanium x sport. found the rest of the s-max's drab and basic inside. also has a bit of grunt 163bhp is economical and drives really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Thanks for the replies; I updated my OP to clarify what kind/sized car we're not looking for.
    Just looking for some opinions on a 7 seater that isn't a large people carrier (e.g. Ford S-Max/Renault Grand Scenic etc.); looking for either SUV or 'close to standard-sized car.

Thanks for the replies; I updated my OP to clarify what kind/sized car we're not looking for.
    Just looking for some opinions on a 7 seater that isn't a large people carrier (e.g. Ford S-Max/Renault Grand Scenic etc.); looking for either SUV or 'close to standard-sized car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

even in the Grand Scenic (which I have) the 2 rear seats are only suitable for occasional use as there's not much leg room back there. Do Volvo still do estates with the rear-facing bench seat in the boot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭superhooper

Grand CMax. Have a Titanium version. Those sliding doors are really practical too. Very comfortable driving position and you can take out middle seat to create passage way for access to 2 seats at back.Good spec level too, auto lights/wipers, parking sensors etc. Very compact car. Downside is that you have very little boot if using the 6th and 7th seats. We tend to fold one in and let the other up.http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/ford/grand-c-max/used-2012-ford-grand-c-max-1-6-td-limerick-fpa-149114253862028370

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Best question is what is your budget? I am currently looking for something similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

There is a version of the Nissan Cube that is a 7 seater.

There is a version of the Nissan Cube that is a 7 seater.

And it is shocking to look at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The Seat Aleta XL might suit.
    Friend has one and Loves it.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/11455904
    2012 Seat Altea XL 1.6TDI Ecomotive

_Brian wrote: »
    The Seat Aleta XL might suit.
    Friend has one and Loves it.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/11455904
    2012 Seat Altea XL 1.6TDI Ecomotive

Is it not a 5 seater?

I seen mentioned of the Kadjar above as well but this is also a 5 seater, there is talk of Renault bringing out a 7 seater based on the X-trail but it will be 2017 by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Is it not a 5 seater?

I seen mentioned of the Kadjar above as well but this is also a 5 seater, there is talk of Renault bringing out a 7 seater based on the X-trail but it will be 2017 by the looks of it.

They come as seven seat models too.
    Very car sized mpv

_Brian wrote: »
    They come as seven seat models too.
    Very car sized mpv

You sure? everything I have found says there is no 7 seater option.

Even quick look at Parker and it says it is one of the major con's on them is no 7 seater option: http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/seat/altea/xl/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Toyota Corolla Verso to my mind is the only 7 seater that you wouldnt know is a 7seater and its actually narrower and shorter than a ford focus saloon if I have read the numbers correctly.

Heres a video showing the interior
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEDu7TpM33U

• Registered Users Posts: 13 driver123

I picked up a new x-trail a few weeks ago. Early days yet.
    The extra 2 seats are very small, defiantly kids only, and short trips at that. but used as a 5 seater they have loads of space in the front 2 rows, and the boot is a very good size. The sliding second row helps things a bit in the third row, but it is a compromise. Boot space is good, and the cars are very well spec'ed.

• Advertisement

driver123 wrote: »
    I picked up a new x-trail a few weeks ago. Early days yet.
    The extra 2 seats are very small, defiantly kids only, and short trips at that. but used as a 5 seater they have loads of space in the front 2 rows, and the boot is a very good size. The sliding second row helps things a bit in the third row, but it is a compromise. Boot space is good, and the cars are very well spec'ed.
    thing is, for many the extra 2 seats are really only there to haul a few more kids, or to put kids in the back to bring some adults.

If you want proper comfort for adults then youre looking at something like an smax type or a proper 9seater van (which really are the business)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Seat Altea XL was still only a 5 seater. Had a bit more rear space than a regular Altea though.

Volvo xc60 might be worth looking at if budget allows.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Seat Altea XL was still only a 5 seater. Had a bit more rear space than a regular Altea though.

Volvo xc60 might be worth looking at if budget allows.

Does the XC60 have 7 seats?

It was available with 2 extra small occasional seats in some markets afaik but looking at carzone there doesn't seem to be any for sale here from the examples I checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

My friend has a Volvo 7 seater suv I think it is called xc90. The boot space is fine, can fit buggy etc. She has 5 kids all in some sort of car seats and fits all of them in;) it is by far the best 7 seater I have ever seen.

XC90 is a fairly big bus though.

XC90 is a fairly big bus though.

Gosh I don't really don't think her's looks that big. She has an old one. Lots of other people I know have smax, c4 grandPicasso, 5008 and they look huge to me!!! I will check tomorrow that it is defo an xc90. It is defo an Xc of some description!

They are fairly bulky to be fair, which probably won't suit the OP.

They are fairly bulky to be fair, which probably won't suit the OP.

I will check tomorrow. It may be an xc60? It looks no bigger than the old version of Kia sportage. Another friend has 7 seater Santa Fe which I think looks way big and bulky. She can barely park it lol lol

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies so far.
    Budget- very expandable, could go up to €30k but would prefer not to. €20k would be preferable but open to more if needed.
    We don't want a large people carrier, like the scenic, Picasso etc. Functionally probably great but we just don't find them stylish at all. Any SUV would be OK, large suv isn't off-putting (Santa Fe and Xc90 both are lovely I think)
    I really like the Volvo Xc90 but, God it's expensive. €24k upwards for 2010 model, which would have a lot if kms on the clock.

Even though willing to spend a fair amount I'd like fairly fuel efficient and low tax (sub €300 p.a.) for lowish running costs. I'm also aware that big tyres cost more;good 19" tyres cost about €200+ each, which is a cost to factor in.

Lastly, it's not a deal breaker but would be delighted with leather interior, plush trim. After all you spend all your driving time in it so why not have great comfort.

Getting a Carens for 24 hour test drive on Friday, have had short test drives on Santa Fe, X Trail so far. Both nice to drive.
    Cheers,
    Pa

Thanks for the replies so far.
    Budget- very expandable, could go up to €30k but would prefer not to. €20k would be preferable but open to more if needed.
    We don't want a large people carrier, like the scenic, Picasso etc. Functionally probably great but we just don't find them stylish at all. Any SUV would be OK, large suv isn't off-putting (Santa Fe and Xc90 both are lovely I think)
    I really like the Volvo Xc90 but, God it's expensive. €24k upwards for 2010 model, which would have a lot if kms on the clock.

Even though willing to spend a fair amount I'd like fairly fuel efficient and low tax (sub €300 p.a.) for lowish running costs. I'm also aware that big tyres cost more;good 19" tyres cost about €200+ each, which is a cost to factor in.

Lastly, it's not a deal breaker but would be delighted with leather interior, plush trim. After all you spend all your driving time in it so why not have great comfort.

Getting a Carens for 24 hour test drive on Friday, have had short test drives on Santa Fe, X Trail so far. Both nice to drive.
    Cheers,
    Pa

My friend's Volvo has tan/cream leather seats, it is fab :) my neighbour just bought a 161 xtrail, she traded in her quasqai. Do Nissan still do the quasqai+2?

I would also look at the 7 seater cmax. It's not as big as smax :) another friend just bought a VW touran, it is a people carrier but not as big as most. The great thing is, is that it has 5 isofix points.

The Volvo XC90 is the 7 seater. It is huge and really the competition is the Q7 from Audi. Both start at 70k so you are looking at big money even second hand. Really if looking for something compact then neither are an option. Lovely but not an option.

I had the same 30k budget you are talking about. Really wanted a new X-Trail 7 seater but I have reduced my budget as don't want to spend that much cash on a car

So my options at the moment are(I am looking in UK as there is a lot of s**t in Ireland)

Peugeot 5008 - Sister in law has one and wife likes it. Comes fairly decent spec and wife likes the look of it as fairly compact.
    Ford S-Max - My choice as I had Mondeo's and liked the engine. Can get auto version fairly easy
    Vauxhall Zafira - Looks similar to Peugeot but priced very aggressive in UK.
    Qashqai +2 - I have 5 seater Qashqai and it was great, some lovely high spec models in UK, leather seats etc

My budget now is circa 10-15k. 15k will be needed for S-Max/Qashqai/5008

I can get the Zafira over for 10k

My main goal is low mileage with high spec/comfrotabel. Majority of these 7 seater are reliable and will sell in a few years anyway so badge is not a concern

To give you an idea, this is a UK Qashqai +2 spec: http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201602010607464?postcode=se19pz&quicksearch=true&make=nissan&radius=1500&onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&search-target=usedcars&sort=default&page=3&model=qashqai%2B2&logcode=p

There is reputable companies in Ireland importing these if you dont want to bring in yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭pollocks

Have you considered the Mitsubishi outlander ? The new model is a massive improvement and is a good bit cheaper than its rivals. Also comes with an 8 year warranty.

pollocks wrote: »
    Have you considered the Mitsubishi outlander ? The new model is a massive improvement and is a good bit cheaper than its rivals. Also comes with an 8 year warranty.

I actually looked at them, very hard to find decent second hand one. Interior is very bland as well and spec is shocking, like something from 10 years ago

Buying new is pointless as you will lose an absolute fortune on them. Also the X-Trail is similar price new and will hold value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Shermanator

One important question to ask yourself is "who will be sitting in the back 2 seats"
    Have found over the years that a number of 7 seaters didn't suit as my lads had big feet and there was not enough room for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Shermanator

One important question to ask yourself is "who will be sitting in the back 2 seats"
    Have found over the years that a number of 7 seaters didn't suit as my lads had big feet and there was not enough room for them.

Thanks for the info, they are a lot cheaper but that's before the 'fleece us' charges over here. I've gotten onto a few companies in Galway about importing, they both said they'd get back to me but haven't yet.....

Thanks for the info, they are a lot cheaper but that's before the 'fleece us' charges over here. I've gotten onto a few companies in Galway about importing, they both said they'd get back to me but haven't yet.....

I am going to probably buy off cargiant or someone like that, they are a bit more expensive but no worries then about clocking.

Then just bring it over.....

Problem in Ireland anything that is a 7 seater is either in bits or is massive money.....I want something I can buy now at good value and keep for a good few years as I have another car which I change regular.....

I will probably go S-Max just for the better room on the back 2 seats, really the other 7 seater(Qashqai/5008) the seats are only for kids circa 5-10

Millem wrote: »
    My friend's Volvo has tan/cream leather seats, it is fab :) my neighbour just bought a 161 xtrail, she traded in her quasqai. Do Nissan still do the quasqai+2?

I would also look at the 7 seater cmax. It's not as big as smax :) another friend just bought a VW touran, it is a people carrier but not as big as most. The great thing is, is that it has 5 isofix points.

The new X-Trail replaced the older Qashqai +2.

The new X-Trail replaced the older Qashqai +2.

That explains why she bought an x-trail!

• Advertisement

Sorry to pull this back up but does anyone on here have one of these?

Merc E Class
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...0-est/11498676

Do the back seats actually work ok?

Sorry to pull this back up but does anyone on here have one of these?

Merc E Class
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...0-est/11498676

Do the back seats actually work ok?
    Dead link.

Dead link.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-e-class-e200-est/11498676

Sorry that link should work, it is the E-class estate with the 2 seats in boot which have you facing out the back of car......

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Gilbey

Can't fault the ford s.max...I have the 2 litre diesel 140 bhp. As far a 7 seaters go it's good..better to drive than most mpvs and not too big either..hard to get though they seem to be holding there price..not much value in the UK at the moment they are an expensive car over there too...of u can find a clean one here it would be handy.

Gilbey wrote: »
    Can't fault the ford s.max...I have the 2 litre diesel 140 bhp. As far a 7 seaters go it's good..better to drive than most mpvs and not too big either..hard to get though they seem to be holding there price..not much value in the UK at the moment they are an expensive car over there too...of u can find a clean one here it would be handy.

Just wondering as I need to test drive one, in terms of the back 2 seats how big are they compared to the seats in Qashqai+2/5008 etc which can only fit kids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-e-class-e200-est/11498676

Sorry that link should work, it is the E-class estate with the 2 seats in boot which have you facing out the back of car......

Do you know how long the E-Class estate W211 is? It is ~4.89m - it is even longer than a Ford Galaxy - which is 4.82m...

It is not a small car, it is gigantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

grogi wrote: »
    Do you know how long the E-Class estate W211 is? It is ~4.89m - it is even longer than a Ford Galaxy - which is 4.82m...

It is not a small car, it is gigantic.

OP edited his post to show he doesn't want a large people carrier. Besides, some people would be more comfortable in a estate vs a vehicle that may be just bigger overall, regardless of length.

A the moment we're leaning towards a new X-Trail.
    Not cheap but very nice. We looked at a Qashqai a few years older but really like the design & internal of the new X-Trail.

A the moment we're leaning towards a new X-Trail.
    Not cheap but very nice. We looked at a Qashqai a few years older but really like the design & internal of the new X-Trail.

They are lovely, I would love one if I had the cash!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Hi,

So your really looking for a car with fold-up seats in the back.
    You can only fit so much into a certain space (unless you get the Tardis:) )
    I've have experience of the Trajet, Grand Senic & Avensis Verso - but non of these suit you (the Trajet is probably the only one that looks really big)

There is lots of choice out there - but it depends on your budget.
    Be mindful that may cars were used as the "kids transporter" and have internal wear and tear particularly in the back seats (fights, spills etc). So if you see one in very good condition snap it up.

As I said there is loads of choice - see below a selection from just one garage. I have no connection with this garage. Its just to demonstrate that there is a large choice. (I did but=y a car off him 3 years ago and have been in recently looking for an upgrade)

Best of Luck

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mitsubishi-grandis-2-0-di-d-instyle/10906909
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/citroen-c4-grand-picasso-1-6-hdi-vtr-7-seater/11446400
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-verso-1-6-vvt-i-luna/11239522
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mitsubishi-grandis-2-0-di-d-instyle/10906909
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/citroen-c4-grand-picasso-1-6-hdi-vtr-7-seater/11446400
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-5008-sport-hdi/11524270
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-grand-scenic-1-5-dci-110-dynamique-tomtom/11446378

• Advertisement
Advertisement