Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Malachy O'Rourke is the obvious choice for me. He's done as much as he can with Monaghan and I think he would love a shot at the Donegal post.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Malachy O'Rourke is the obvious choice for me. He's done as much as he can with Monaghan and I think he would love a shot at the Donegal post.

There was chat last week about MOR coming in. I can see that catching pace the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Hard to disagree with anything posted. Murphy not fully fit was a huge factor and Big Neil missing throughput the season as well.

On a change, it's very hard to see a long term future with Rory there as I don't think he'll develop the style. 2 Ulster finals were left behind and Monaghan could have caught us the first day as well, that's down to rigid tactics and more worryingly a fixed mindset. That's what it looks like to me. I'd say he'll get another year more by default than anything else, we'll see if any stories within the camp come out over the next few weeks.

Horan would be more positive but that's a big change in mindset. I get the impression from listening to him on off the ball that he's just as fixed about his style of football and that would be a worry for me, it would be an exciting change but there's a naivety there for me and a stubbornness. O'Rourke would probably be more of the same.

My guess would be that a rigid 15 behind the ball system is now shown to be limited, Tyrone out as well and Ulster counties doing poorly this year. A balance needs to be reached and there's an argument to be made that the overly defensive style we play is limiting teams like us and Tyrone anyway. Galway also got shown up by Tipp and Mayo got through to the semis with God knows what style!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Is Rory Gallagher on a two or three year contract? In any case who would be favourite to succeed him? Anyone from outside the county?

Three year term with the option of a fourth. If Gallagher wants to stay then I'd say the county board will keep him.

The last time they got rid of a manager who wanted to stay on, we ended up with John Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Ballintubber to Convoy would be a fair whack to travel twice a week unless we can get the helicopter up and running again.

• Advertisement

yeah Nidge but it would mean we'd get our song back...

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Eamon gone too. Real pity but serious rebuilding needs to start so perhaps earlier the better. Great young players coming through so I'm very optimistic for the forseeable

jjdonegal wrote: »
    Eamon gone too. Real pity but serious rebuilding needs to start so perhaps earlier the better. Great young players coming through so I'm very optimistic for the forseeable

Eh?

Where you getting that from? Neil's full on twitter but I'd say that's a joke.

Eh?

Where you getting that from? Neil's full on twitter but I'd say that's a joke.

Mate texted me there 20mins ago. Oh please God it's BS; I took his word for it. Hopefully he bloody wrong.

Ps; Be great to have him for another year but I don't fear the future - some great players coming through so I'm optimistic for a successful transition in the coming years

jjdonegal wrote: »
    Mate texted me there 20mins ago. Oh please God it's BS; I took his word for it. Hopefully he bloody wrong

The Donegal Monday club is in full swing. Neils put up a pciture of a few of them saying 'Eamon's retirement party'. Slagging Eamon I'd say cause he's not on the beer.

How things have changed. I'd love to see those young boys try and keep up with McGee and Christy in their 'pomp'. :D

• Advertisement

Eamonn has been written off for a few years now but I don't see him looking to hang up his boots just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Three year term with the option of a fourth. If Gallagher wants to stay then I'd say the county board will keep him.

The last time they got rid of a manager who wanted to stay on, we ended up with John Joe

Ah sure, hand over the reins to Cass. He seems to know what hes on about :pac::pac:

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Ah sure, hand over the reins to Cass. He seems to know what hes on about :pac::pac:

He was a roaring success with his own club :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

Is Rory Gallagher on a two or three year contract? In any case who would be favourite to succeed him? Anyone from outside the county?

Brian McEniff or John Brennan for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Pretty much more of the same........

Oi, you stole my post ;).

Well said, it's pretty much in line with my own thinking.

First half was a disaster really. Second half was lit up by the goal and the sending's off should have helped us, but in reality Dublin were comfortable throughout and playing keep ball against us is a pretty obvious tactic to employ at this stage. This malaise has been in the team since the 2014 All Ireland Final, the blame for which cannot be laid at the current manager's door, but he has had two years to come up with an alternative approach and I've seen nothing new.

Despite the overly defensive display, I was proud of the lads for having a go. The real disappointment for me this year was the Ulster Final. Anyone who was there yesterday will have seen Tyrone ain't all that. That was a game we should have won (as was the 2014 Ulster Final....).

Big mystery on MacNiallais. That's consecutive All Ireland Quarter Finals where he has not made any (positive) impact on the game. Was overmatched against Keegan last year, no idea what happened this year. I *hope* it turns out he was injured yesterday because there really is no other excuse for such a performance.

Kick it into Murphy they say. Well, two things. One, we are told that is a waste of time in Ulster because there are three men hanging off him. Well, it didn't stop Mayo trying it (successfully) against Tyrone yesterday. Secondly, if you are going to do it, it needs to be practiced. When tried yesterday, it was clear we are no longer able to do so. Back to basics please.

So Colm Anthony is gone. A fine player, but frustrating at times, and would have been better to call it a day last year, he had no part to play this year. 2012 was his best ever year and we should be thankful for that as well as those for all those years that he toiled in for the cause before Jim. Fare thee well.

Rory K will 'probably' retire (again) and it's probably the right choice as he never looked able for 70 minutes this year. At the same time, he was the only one who looked capable of catching a long kick out yesterday.

No idea on where the likes of E McGee, Lacey, Big Neil, Christy and David Walsh stand. You can probably throw the likes of Frank and Tony into the will they/won't they camp, although it will depend on personal circumstances as opposed to anything else for the latter two. Eamon had a fine game yesterday.

One positive yesterday (aside from Ryan McHugh of course) was our new keeper. He has shown signs of development. The fundamentals are sound, the kick out will continue to improve hopefully.

But look, we cannot keep relying on the same players. We need to introduce more new faces next year, especially in the League, where we can get some sense of whether or not they are good enough. I'd like to see Gillespie, Eoin Ban, Carroll, Ciaran Thompson and Stephen McBrearty all get significant time and maybe throw in McGonagle, O'Brien and Mulligan at stages as well. Such wholesale change will mean performances will suffer in the short term, but it's only the League. Come Championship, whoever gets a jersey should be there on merit and not for the sake of change. In any case, change tends to be by evolution rather than revolution, so if we even get one new starter for next June we will be doing well.

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of senior players decide to return. Ulster is competitive, but very winnable for Donegal.
    As to the manager, my views are clear enough. Unless he changes his approach we will continue to be predictable and beatable. It's probably stating the obvious, but we need to set up our defence higher up the pitch rather than inviting teams onto us such that those with good footballers will be able to pick us off at will. In addition, we need to bite the bullet and make better use of our two outstanding forwards in their natural positions. Easier said than done I'm sure but a tactical genius will surely find a way.

tl;dr Good luck to the Minors.

No space here for Hugh McFadden?

The problem is, and it's been a problem all year, is that we can't win our battles in midfield. The goose is cooked regarding the short kick out. When Dublin pushed up on the kick out, I recall only one clean catch by Kavanagh along the Cusack stand sideline. Every other long kick out we lost. You'll find more teams doing this to us next year. Until we can get a player that can at least hold his own in midfield we'll end up playing the same type of ballgame next year. If we could only find ourselves a midfielder - a la Matty Donnelly, we'd be in a better position to mix things up - style wise.

It was disappointing to see that we didn't take the game by the scruff of the neck when Dublin were reduced by 1 and two players.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

The problem is, and it's been a problem all year, is that we can't win our battles in midfield. The goose is cooked regarding the short kick out. When Dublin pushed up on the kick out, I recall only one clean catch by Kavanagh along the Cusack stand sideline. Every other long kick out we lost. You'll find more teams doing this to us next year. Until we can get a player that can at least hold his own in midfield we'll end up playing the same type of ballgame next year. If we could only find ourselves a midfielder - a la Matty Donnelly, we'd be in a better position to mix things up - style wise.

It was disappointing to see that we didn't take the game by the scruff of the neck when Dublin were reduced by 1 and two players.

Murphy straight red.
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Neil Magee should have seen the line too. His behaviour of O'Gara was snake's belly low. Pulling, dragging, pinching, nipple twisting, and finally the straw that broke O'Gara's back, a judo throw to the ground. No wonder he lashed out. If the VT they showed on the SG last night was rewound by 20 secs they'd have seen the whole incident properly. I think they called it sledging last year.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Hugh was given plenty of opportunities over the past two years. I still can't decide what his ceiling is. He strikes me as someone who has had the football coached out of him, but I haven't seen enough of him otherwise to know if he is really any good. He was OK at full forward in a County Final and had one good half in an Ulster U-21 Final at midfield and that's about it as far as I have seen. I would have nothing against giving him another chance but doesn't seem like Rory trusts him anymore.

Don't think we have anyone like Donnelly and more is the pity. Ciaran Thompson, McGonagle and Carroll need to be tried.

Heck, Jason McGee should be training with the panel next year.

Looks like Eamon McGee has announced his retirement in his own quirky way.

What a roller coaster, his is by far the most interesting story out of all current players.

After a bad start, he had a fine year. A bit unfortunate not to win an All Star in a different year perhaps.

Fare thee well stargazer.

Well feck it anyway. I thought it was Neil having a laugh.

I'll be surprised if he isn't back you know.

*edit. I'm actually really sad about this you know. McGee sums the whole thing up. Getting old now, thinking back to the nights in the Abbey in the early 00's. Wild men. *Sigh*.

Well feck it anyway. I thought it was Neil having a laugh.

Same here. But now 'confirmed'.
    I'll be surprised if he isn't back you know.

I doubt it. Strikes me as someone with a life outside of football and now has a family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

Doesn't he have a young child now? He might feel like it's the best time to step back now and focus on other things. Sad to see him go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I know Eamon McGee has a fair milage up but he seems like too young a man to retire?Real shame,I wouldn't be surprised if he's a change of heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Massive player over the years. Everyone in Donegal should be proud of the dedication he's shown.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

These fullbacks off enjoying themselves. Must be part of the fabric for a decent one with the two best off to enjoy life outside football.
    Best of luck to him. I'd say he missed his old number 1 behind him this season and things probably haven't been as good for him this year, involved in a bit of controversy, different Manager

He's a huge loss to the game. I looked forward to match ups between himself and lads like Brogan, Star, AOS you'd tune in just to watch that. He did well on Saturday on Brogan. himself and Murphy define the team for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Gael85

http://www.balls.ie/gaa/eamon-mcgee-story-off-the-ball/305048

I'd say a bit of a character :) Game great service to Donegal football

• Registered Users Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭doc_17

Not many LOTR fans here, Eamonn's statement on Sunday morning was very clear!!

AS some said on other threads, he was on OTB a few weeks ago and it was great to listen. He'll definitely do more of that.

seligehgit wrote: »
    I know Eamon McGee has a fair milage up but he seems like too young a man to retire?Real shame,I wouldn't be surprised if he's a change of heart.

He said last year he'd have retired in 2014 had they won the final.

It's funny, I thought he might go last year on that basis. He has looked fine this year. He's incredibly athletic so wouldn't have any concerns over him. I see Lacey and he is noticeably struggling now to get through games but Eamon looks alright.

It's a serious commitment though and the lad hates the gym :D Young kid now too time for a change I suppose. Must be odd for him.He's been at it a long time with Donegal. One of the lads who won the Vocational school All Ireland in 2002.

Just reinforces to me how lucky we've been to have had McGuinness. Eamon arsed around for a long time, he'll be the first to say it. Had he finished his career with nothing nobody would have thought anything of it. He'd have been another in a long line of talented messers who never reached their potential.

He leaves with 3 Ulster championships and an All Ireland in his back pocket. Fair play to him. His book would be some value.

Donegal_s_Eamon_Mc_1662090a-144x217.jpg

Well ye're not replacing Gallagher with Malachy anyway.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0809/807962-orourke-remains-monaghan-manager/

• Advertisement

Well ye're not replacing Gallagher with Malachy anyway.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0809/807962-orourke-remains-monaghan-manager/

Never liked him.

Fermanagh b*stard.:P

Advertisement