Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nenagh Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

Chinese re-opening above the Zip Yard across from AIB on the 1st floor. Interesting, I would have thought there was enough Chinese restaurants in Nenagh but fair-play for them giving it a go anyhow and I hope it works out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

Anyone in Nenagh with Diesel Car break down in the last week ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

irelandjoe wrote: »
    Anyone in Nenagh with Diesel Car break down in the last week ?

Hi Joe,

I have heard of at least one person with an engine failure in the Nenagh area.

I have no idea if its yourself I heard about but this person is a businessman from the town.

If you have had a problems with your car I'm sure others may have had too, a small ad in the local paper or a phone call to garages in the area would be my choice of action if what I suspect you're referring to happened to me.

Hi Joe,

I have heard of at least one person with an engine failure in the Nenagh area.

I have no idea if its yourself I heard about but this person is a businessman from the town.

If you have had a problems with your car I'm sure others may have had too, a small ad in the local paper or a phone call to garages in the area would be my choice of action if what I suspect you're referring to happened to me.

Not business man in town but would like to get in contact with them. If you know or can find out will u pm me. Thanks

I'll find out if they want their name passed on to you.

I still think a small ad in the local paper or a few calls to local garages would give you a larger pool of people to speak with.

If what I suspect you're looking for this information for is correct, I'm sure you're not the only person in the area that has had this problem.

Thanks a lot. Want to know if there was anyone else impacted without naming the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

New Nenagh website:

http://www.nenagh.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

jprboy wrote: »
    New Nenagh website:

http://www.nenagh.ie/

Very well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Looks great

Just missing our pub guide :P

• Advertisement

Its a nice website, but I think if they want business people to advertise on it they should have their rates on it.

I've heard its €199 for a basic listing, the listings appear in alphabetical order so you could end up at the bottom of the listings depending on your business name.

You can pay a premium rate (unsure of how much this costs) to get a picture advert.

If you're going to pay €199 for an advert would it not make more sense to just have your own website and use other advertising to drive traffic to your website.

Fries.

Any scandal around the town lately?? Was back for a total of maybe 20 mins over xmas :p

I like how xtravision is now near gamestop, handy for buying game and/or movies.

Haven't been out in Nenagh in just under a year too, nightlife still going strong??

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭GoOnYouDirt

Back home in our fair town over the Christmas myself! Thought X-Tra Vision was closed down at first glance! :D A Sportsmans Dream also got a make over! Didn't go in, but drove past... Looks good!

Nightlife? I havn't been out i Nenagh in over two years and certainly don't plan on it any time soon! It's the finest for a few pints but good lordy I wouldn't grace the Maxi-Pad for the life of me!

Have to say though the down is looking a lot more modernized these days which is great!

There was a great buzz around the place as well. Could just have been the Christmas spirit, but it was great all the same! :D

A Sportsmans Dream has always been a rip off. Even a decade ago people said the same

Support your town they say. Support your local business.

Everything in that shop is overpriced

And customer service isn't exactly fantastic

I'd head to Limerick before going in there

There was a great buzz around the place as well. Could just have been the Christmas spirit, but it was great all the same! :D

When there is a buzz around town there is nothing like a pint in the Hi-B :)

Have to agree with you on price! Always a bit off the wall! Haven't been i there in an age!

Elvery's isn't an awful lot better, but in fairness not as bad!

Limerick isn't all that and a bag of chips either though!

If it's quality for money you're after these days you're better off shopping online, which isn't always the safest way of going about it!

But what can one do? :D

Online is safe once you stick to the well known sites

Sportsman Dream have never ever tried to compete with Limerick on price

Oh they are a Nenagh institution for sure and there would be a lot of talk if they ever closed but dammit, they are very pricy

• Advertisement

They are! I have to laugh when I go in there too though. It's very VERY VERYYYYYYY rare that you see a man working in there!

Well it was that way when I frequented the place! I mean it's a sports shop? I'm not getting all sexist or anything but you would think there would be more young lads working in there!

I find it strange!

How's Mama's doing these days? I just got a longing for a good bag of chips!

Mamas are still the best chips in town!!
    When Italy won their last football championship they were running up and down Pearse St with their Italian flag. Cool :D

Place is mobbed when the CBS, Tech & Convent are on lunch, always a sign of a popular place ;)

And they do a great business with the drunks, I was one many a time :p

Still the chipper of choice for town

Ahhhh my mouth is watering!!!

They're chips are the thing I miss most about Nenagh! And a good salad burger! *dies*

Mama's will always be the chipper of choice I think!

Mama's, Fryday's (?), Romano's and Supermacs - is that it in terms of burger/chip joints in Nenagh?

Mario's across from Tescos as well.

• Advertisement

Mario's across from Tescos as well.

How long has that been there? Any idea is it related to the Mario's in Thurles?

How long has that been there? Any idea is it related to the Mario's in Thurles?

Tis there a few years at least and I have no idea to be honest with ya mate... Only ever stopped in there for a quick bite when I was going to the offo next door :pac:

I hear that Nenagh is to get its first Pawn shop ( I said Pawn).

It appears that Kickham Street/Banba Sqare area is getting a new Pawn Shop.

Its supposed to open in the next two weeks in the old half price ink building on Rockys side of the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Great, we can buy back the stuff that gets robbed from us :)

On a serious note, a pawn shop could do very well.

Great, we can buy back the stuff that gets robbed from us :)

On a serious note, a pawn shop could do very well.

I think it will do well if its a cash converter type outlet, I know a person in Limerick that buys all his electronic goods at the one near the railway station.

Maybe they'll do really well and become well known around the town and we'll have a very own pawn stars :pac:

...I'll get my coat

Maybe they'll do really well and become well known around the town and we'll have a very own pawn stars :pac:

...I'll get my coat

take your time, its two weeks from opening + coats are only worth a few quid

Free car parking in car parks on Saturdays starting this coming Sat Feb 2. Doesn't apply to on-street parking.

http://www.nenagh.ie/news/article/free-car-parks-on-saturday

Free car parking in car parks on Saturdays starting this coming Sat Feb 2. Doesn't apply to on-street parking.

http://www.nenagh.ie/news/article/free-car-parks-on-saturday

This should make a difference to the business people around the town, Tuesdays and Saturdays are consistently the worst days for trading in Nenagh.

Unfortunately the ink refill shop seems to have closed down (only recently moved to silver street) which is a real pity, I dont think there is any other refill shop in nenagh?

On a positive note (ish) I hear abbey machinery is relocating to a site near toomevara, u have to fancy with a move like that there might be some new jobs in it.

Trying to think of any other new shops in the town, a new centra type shop has opened across from jkcs, the jeans store has moved to a new premises, seems to be a lot of shops moving, you have to fancy that rents are becoming more competitive

• Advertisement

I see the Gala Shop/Great Gas Filling Station in Gortlandroe has been closed for the last few weeks.

Anyone know the story here?

I see the Gala Shop/Great Gas Filling Station in Gortlandroe has been closed for the last few weeks.

Anyone know the story here?

I thought that was a bit odd, thought they were going fairly alright, they had the dci card as well which you would fancy would bring in a good bit of business

I think this shop closed as a direct result of the Aldi factor.

The profit margins on petrol are tiny so they were depending on people buying other items.

Its hard for a small shop like that to compete with the prices being offered in Aldi.

bawn79 wrote: »
    On a positive note (ish) I hear abbey machinery is relocating to a site near toomevara, u have to fancy with a move like that there might be some new jobs in it

This is interesting, you'd have to wonder why after these years in Nenagh they'd move to Toomevara.

I have heard rumours that an investment group is trying to buy O Connors shopping centre maybe they're also interested in the Abbey Machinery property.

I think there is another new shop going into the shop unit on Gortlandroe where the Polish shop opened a few months back.

If rumours are to be believed the laundrette on Silver street is to close and a new laundrette is to open at Mulrooneys Garage across from Tescos.

An old business premises which hasn't been used for several years (was a garage/tyre fitter?) in Tyone (on the left just after the railway bridge as you go out the Thurles road looks like it's undergoing renovation.

Anyone know what's planned for here?

This is interesting, you'd have to wonder why after these years in Nenagh they'd move to Toomevara.

I have heard rumours that an investment group is trying to buy O Connors shopping centre maybe they're also interested in the Abbey Machinery property.

I think there is another new shop going into the shop unit on Gortlandroe where the Polish shop opened a few months back.

If rumours are to be believed the laundrette on Silver street is to close and a new laundrette is to open at Mulrooneys Garage across from Tescos.

It would be great if they did (re O Connors) - but what would you put there?

I hear that the new free newspaper The Tipperary Update is moving into the above shop unit you mentioned.

Saw 2 UPC vans in Nenagh this evening. They finally setting up in Nenagh, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Iamhere

I would be surprised if they were adding a cable service to Nenagh, i contacted them last year and they had no plans at that stage. The vans could be for their MMDS customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Unfortunately not Joe. We seem to be a long way away from public fiber in Nenagh.

• Advertisement

thought as much, Lucky we have DSL at this stage. Any news on Sky Broadband offering, Heard it will be using the BT backbone? Is Nenagh Exchange enabled?

An old business premises which hasn't been used for several years (was a garage/tyre fitter?) in Tyone (on the left just after the railway bridge as you go out the Thurles road looks like it's undergoing renovation.

Anyone know what's planned for here?

I can answer my own question on this one now.

Was passing there yesterday morning and saw Husqvarna signs up.

There's a Husqvarna place in Stereame so not sure if this is a move or an additional outlet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭gabbytheking

Went for a hair cut today and found that Gemini Unisex Hair Salon had closed! It was based up the road from Morgan for men. Used to head up there as it was generally walk in and get a hair cut if not used to head to MFM. The owner was lovely too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭gabbytheking

Re Fibre Optic and UPC hopefully see this article from Guardian re Eircom Next Gen coming to nenagh only on the paper last week not sure about UPC though http://www.nenaghguardian.ie/search-articles-detail.php?article=ORDI3L

Plus did ye know nenagh has a full fibre underground network set up it just has to be connected to the national grid. Pure ridiculous really!! See extract "However, the underground fibre optic networks, installed at a total cost of over €4 million in the three towns almost three years ago, are still lying idle as they have never been connected to a national network. " Its 6 years now pure mind boggling stuff.

I believe they are waiting for somebody to connect them and pay the price for same. This is the article from 2010 in the Guardian if you have any interest http://www.nenaghguardian.ie/news-detail.php?article=0TTAWT

irelandjoe wrote: »
    thought as much, Lucky we have DSL at this stage. Any news on Sky Broadband offering, Heard it will be using the BT backbone? Is Nenagh Exchange enabled?

Yes.

Any area that BT or Vodaphone have offered broadband services in the past should be able to avail of any sky broadband offerings to the Irish market.

BT enabled many of the exchanges with their equipment before selliing the contract to Vodaphone, and Sky are now using Vodaphones network to sell their package.

I remember in the not to distant past BT would be able to offer you up to 8MB broadband and Eircom could only offer up to 3MB, because when BT entered the market here they installed their own cabinets into Eircom exchanges.

Thankfully Eircom have upgraded most of the exchanges around the country.

Re Fibre Optic and UPC hopefully see this article from Guardian re Eircom Next Gen coming to nenagh only on the paper last week not sure about UPC though http://www.nenaghguardian.ie/search-articles-detail.php?article=ORDI3L

Plus did ye know nenagh has a full fibre underground network set up it just has to be connected to the national grid. Pure ridiculous really!! See extract "However, the underground fibre optic networks, installed at a total cost of over €4 million in the three towns almost three years ago, are still lying idle as they have never been connected to a national network. " Its 6 years now pure mind boggling stuff.

I believe they are waiting for somebody to connect them and pay the price for same. This is the article from 2010 in the Guardian if you have any interest http://www.nenaghguardian.ie/news-detail.php?article=0TTAWT

This is interesting because, I have heard before that the ducting for this fibre optic network was installed in the towns mentioned in the article but not one foot of cable has been installed.

Apparently there was one company contracted to lay the ducting and another company contracted to install the fibre optic cable.

All the ducting has been laid but then the money for the cabling wasn't sanctioned by the government.

AFAIK the cable being installed at the moment is using the ducting installed several years ago. It wouldn't make any sense to have two separate fibre optic networks, one dormant and one active.

• Advertisement

Shoe shop on Mitchell St is having a closing down sale unfortunately.

Seems to be a bit of activity at the former medical premises across from the Credit Union.

Doesn't seem to be much going on in the rumoured pawn shop.

Passed by the Gala Shop/Great Gas Filling Station in Gortlandroe earlier this evening and looks like it might have re-opened or at least was being prepared for this.

Passed by the Gala Shop/Great Gas Filling Station in Gortlandroe earlier this evening and looks like it might have re-opened or at least was being prepared for this.

I wondered about that, I figured with a reasonable rent it would have to be viable (I used get diesal there myself as it took the DCI card). Good to see it reopening.

I think the real problem with this Filling Station is/was its proximity to the Centra shop across from Romanos. This looks to me to be doing a great trade as a convenience store (even with Aldi less than a km away). Probably the only one opening late in Nenagh (besides Tesco I guess).

Went for a hair cut today and found that Gemini Unisex Hair Salon had closed! It was based up the road from Morgan for men. Used to head up there as it was generally walk in and get a hair cut if not used to head to MFM. The owner was lovely too!!

I spoke with the owner of Gemini Hair Salon today, she was shocked that her business was listed here as closed.

Her business is open and trading and by the looks of things today she is doing a very well.

Shoe shop on Mitchell St is having a closing down sale unfortunately.

Sign in the window of this premises indicating that a new shoe shop will open soon.
    Doesn't seem to be much going on in the rumoured pawn shop.

I passed this premises today and all work seems to have come to a standstill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement