Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jurassic World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭nemesisdg

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I'd be curious how many saw it in 3d vs 2d liked and disliked it.

I noticed among people I know those who liked it saw it in 3d, while everyone I know who saw it in 2D hated it.

2D did not like

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,400 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I noticed among people I know those who liked it saw it in 3d, while everyone I know who saw it in 2D hated it.

Really doubt that's a factor, more likely just a coincidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Hrududu wrote: »
    Very disappointing. The first JP was a classic so I was hoping this would be a return to form. Instead it was a mess. The characters were just terrible.

Uptight control freak + supercoolawesome ex Navy guy who can train raptors and is also laid back and charming and totally isn't Indiana Jones mixed with Han Solo, no sir this is a totally original character + two annoying kids that have no redeeming features. I really didn't care if the lot of them got eaten.

There was never any tension or scares or anything exciting at all. It was just such a damp squib.

The scene where the raptor ran to the rescue in slow motion was one of the stupidest things I've seen in a long time. And I left the cinema feeling like the film itself was one of the stupidest things I've seen in a long time. Which sucked, because I loved the first film and went in willing this one to be good.

Someone has been listening to Joss Whedon.

I didn't find the character all that uptight or a control freak, she was hardly Monica from Friends now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Really doubt that's a factor, more likely just a coincidence.

very well could be, but it'll still be an interesting notion on peoples thoughts going into the film as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I saw it in both. Definitely preferred the 3D. Both times however I felt the audio was too low. I remember seeing the first 3 in the cinema and remember feeling the seats shaking when a dinosaur roared. Did't feel that at all in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

2D and I liked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I saw Jurassic world on Friday having never seen jurrasic park.

I wasn't expecting that much going into it but I actually really enjoyed it and I was really glad I went to see it

Jurassic Park would be up there with the top 3 films I wish I could erase from my memory so that I could have the insane pleasure of watching it again for the first time! If you enjoyed this, wait till you see the original, you look back now before the poor CGI and are nearly in awe of how they made it look so real, over 20 years ago...

this is a film I would love to see in the cinema again...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Saw it again over the weekend and watched the original in between.

Thoroughly enjoyed it again. The pacing stood up well on second viewing and the action sequences are well put together. It’s hard to compare it to JP as I’ve seen JP so many times (although not in quite a few years), but on re-watch I found the first 45 minutes of JP to really drag, while JW tends to move along a bit more nippily, dropping in little tidbits of dinosaur now and again to keep things ticking along. I’d say JW takes more of an Aliens:Alien approach to its predecessor (and the nods to Aliens add to this suspicion). There’s no awe inspiring moment like the cat-and-mouse scene with the T-Rex in Jurassic Park, but considering I’m watching this as a thirty-something adult rather than as a ten year old, maybe that’s impossible and going for a more action-orientated approach makes sense.

My feeling is that it’s better stitched together than the other JP sequels; from the initial escape of the monstersaurus, it mostly fits together more logically and naturally than JP2 and 3, which frequently relied on unlikely coincidences, characters behaving idiotically, and a more general lack of internal consistency to keep the plot moving forward.

I don’t think the characters are half as bad as people are saying; Pratt is very likeable as are some of the minor supporting characters, while Howard is passable. The only scene with the kids that really irritated me was when the older of the two gives his ‘brothers’ speech in the back of the van, but frankly, neither of them are as irritating as Lex from JP, while the gymnast and the survivalist from 2 and 3 belong to a different scale of annoying.

As far as the FX goes, there are moments alright when it looks the way CGI tends to look (not entirely real), but overall it’s pretty solid. I think negative comparisons with JP are a little unfair because the scope of the two is so different, but also because JP was so revolutionary and expecting a similar leap forward is unreasonable. The FX in JP certainly aren’t better than JW though as I noticed one person suggest. The dinosaurs in JP do occasionally look more real, but that’s usually with a fairly inanimate dinosaur like a sick Triceratops, which looks vaguely like it’s being controlled by a man with a stick. Other parts of JP have aged quite a bit too, like the brachiosaurs at the start which don’t look real at all. The dinosaurs in JW aren’t perfect but they’re more expressive and get flung around and injured in ways that you could only do with CGI. I thought they imbued a lot of personality into the growling and snarling raptors, who were the stars of the show.

Could have done without the pterodactyls getting a turn though, they do nothing for me. Would have liked to have see the pacycepha... bone-headed dinosaurs get some screen-time, but I suppose we briefly got the dinosaurs with the armored tail and back instead, so that's something.

Thumbs up from me.

Saw it in 2D btw.

As far as the FX goes, there are moments alright when it looks the way CGI tends to look (not entirely real), but overall it’s pretty solid. I think negative comparisons with JP are a little unfair because the scope of the two is so different, but also because JP was so revolutionary and expecting a similar leap forward is unreasonable. The FX in JP certainly aren’t better than JW though as I noticed one person suggest. The dinosaurs in JP do occasionally look more real, but that’s usually with a fairly inanimate dinosaur like a sick Triceratops, which looks vaguely like it’s being controlled by a man with a stick. Other parts of JP have aged quite a bit too, like the brachiosaurs at the start which don’t look real at all. The dinosaurs in JW aren’t perfect but they’re more expressive and get flung around and injured in ways that you could only do with CGI. I thought they imbued a lot of personality into the growling and snarling raptors, who were the stars of the show.

I'd love to do a side by side comparison of this notion when JW goes on dvd or something cause I think very much the opposite, the cgi is ropey in parts of Jp like you said, but the animatronics are top notch especially with the t-rex and the raptors and still exceed anything done in jw with cgi.

though saying that the animatronics in JP3 are dreadful and you can understand when compared to that one would take cgi over animatronics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Bored me tbh. Cliche central.

Chris Pratt's charisma and great screen presence saves the movie from being all but useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I just don't get why dinosaurs aren't impressive enough/ cool enough without having to create 'super dinosaurs' (so fcking stupid) or ascribe human qualities to them (the dopey raptors). Just really dumb. So much could have been done with them.

The original is so, so much better. The quality of the characters alone blows JW out of the water.

What I found really annoying as well was just how bad the command structure/ security protocols were (and the leadership in general). Really? After Jurassic Park? Weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

It's an average blockbuster, with plenty of your usual blockbuster failings, sure. But it's nowhere near the train wreck I was expecting from reading this thread.

Howard's character is clichéd, but I'm not seeing the sexism some are. All the characters were pretty clichéd and two-dimensional, to be fair. I actually thought D'Onofrio's
    bad guy
    was far worse. The
    death of Howard's assistant
    was OTT definitely, but it didn't jar me the way it did some. I was kind of expecting it though from reading the thread.

I found the kids less annoying than Tim and Alexis in the original, but like the rest of the cast, they aren't helped by some terrible dialogue. However every film in the series has had that to some degree. Same goes for the daft, inexplicable moments already mentioned (although none of them quite top the gymnastic raptor kill from Lost World).

Overall, it's so-so. Entertaining enough without doing anything new or interesting. After a several year gap between JP3 and JW, it just about gets away with it. The sequel to this won't have that luxury.

As for the ending... Macklin, you sonofabitch.
    Dair76 wrote: »
    I'm betting on the mosasaur eating the noobasaurus after Team Raptor lure it to the water's edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I’d say JW takes more of an Aliens:Alien approach to its predecessor (and the nods to Aliens add to this suspicion). .

I totally thought this also.
    The scene where the Ingen soldiers confronting the Dino & raptors with the Hud shots of them being attacked was totally like in Aliens where they walk into the trap and get taken out

I just don't get why dinosaurs aren't impressive enough/ cool enough without having to create 'super dinosaurs' (so fcking stupid) or ascribe human qualities to them (the dopey raptors).
    Initially these were my thoughts too, but then the way the explained it, it makes sense to me. (I am not saying I like it, just I dont think its that bad, Chris Pratt made the same point in the movie "they are dinosaurs, wow enough".

They probably wanted to introduce a menace to the audience that we hadn't seen before. In terms of Jurassic World, they explained this as every time a new attraction opens visitor numbers spiked and it was done to maintain interest in the park, this would be the case even with normal theme parks...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,737 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have to say I'm surprised so few people have mentioned the 'meta' themes of the film, which were concurrently the most interesting and infuriating thing about it IMO. Forget the literal mechanics of the plot, the dialogue the film was having with itself about itself was fascinating and really, really weird.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,400 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I have to say I'm surprised so few people have mentioned the 'meta' themes of the film, which were concurrently the most interesting and infuriating thing about it IMO. Forget the literal mechanics of the plot, the dialogue the film was having with itself about itself was fascinating and really, really weird.

I read your review before seeing the film and even then it didn't really jump out at me that much bar a couple if lines regarding people wanting "more teeth" or "cooler" monsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I found that whole thing slightly amusing at first, then really jarring. But then other, more annoying, nonsense took my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

actually speaking of asides.

is this the only jurassic park film where it doesnt fecking rain half the film ?

maybe im wrong but i cant help thinking all the sequels up to this involved fecking miserable weather. maybe thats one of the reason this one seems alot more fun than the others. that and how alot more of the action seemed to take place during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Saw it today. Was a great film. Loved the homages to the first film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I saw it on Friday & spent the weekend digesting it, anyway here are my (very) brief thoughts with a bit of rambling.

The film was very fun but had a few noticeable problems.

The CGI. I would have preferred more animatronics and puppetry but that's the modern age. I will say that the CG was great for the most part, especially the I-Rex, but in the cage scene, the raptors looked like they were floating just above the ground.

The pacing was IMO too fast, especially the first 40 minutes. I wanted to see more of the wonder of the park in all it's glory. I wanted to get to know the characters more. I liked Muldoon, Gennaro and Eddie. I really couldn't give two flutes about Masrani.

This branches out to a similar topic...the kids. I get the feeling that the two brothers were meant to be stand-ins. The younger represented the audience, the child-like wonder of going to this amazing place (and also wanted to run away from confronting his soon to be divorced parents) and the older brother was the jaded kids of today who just don't care about dinosaurs. the problem was the pacing was so fast that the younger one comes off half crazy and the older one comes off like an a**hole.

For the first 20 minutes or so, there's no dinosaurs, making us think there's going to be this grand reveal but instead it's "hey there's a raptor. That's nice. Moving on" JW doesn't seem able to capture the feel of the original. Even when they go to locations from the first film it feels a bit hollow. (I mean, how could a place like the original visitors centre get that covered in jungle in 20 years?)

Also, the psuedo-villain. Had he never seen Alien? The notion of weaponizing raptors is just absurd, even for a Jurassic park film.

Anyway, iv'e bitched enough :) The I-Rex was great. It seemed more menacing than any previous dinosaur we've seen. the set-pieces were great. The plot-holes were negligible. I loved the climax at the end with the big brawl even if it was cheesy.

looking through the discussions though... without reading further, do you know who Zara is? Because the entire internet seems fixated on her (She's Claire's assistant). There's some crazy amount of scrutiny over the death scene of a non-character who barely has five lines in the whole film. Arguments range from "She wasn't an important enough character to justify such an OTT death" to "It was too gruesome". And really, every single one of these complains boil down to "but...but...but...she's an attractive woman!"
    That's more or less it, Nobody seems to care about the tubby security guard being toyed with by the i-rex or the helicopter guy getting kebabed, but when a hot girl dies? fu&k you Trevorrow!

looking through the discussions though... without reading further, do you know who Zara is? Because the entire internet seems fixated on her (She's Claire's assistant). There's some crazy amount of scrutiny over the death scene of a non-character who barely has five lines in the whole film. Arguments range from "She wasn't an important enough character to justify such an OTT death" to "It was too gruesome". And really, every single one of these complains boil down to "but...but...but...she's an attractive woman!"
    That's more or less it, Nobody seems to care about the tubby security guard being toyed with by the i-rex or the helicopter guy getting kebabed, but when a hot girl dies? fu&k you Trevorrow!

see my post earlier on why its generated discussion (and its not because she's a hot girl) its an incredibly odd sequence in the film that is very out of place, as someone said its more akin to something you'd find in a saw film then a jurassic park film.

also tubby dies offscreen (well behind a truck that gets dropped in front of us just before the Irex kills him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Also, the psuedo-villain. Had he never seen Alien? The notion of weaponizing raptors is just absurd, even for a Jurassic park film.

Have you ever seen Dino-riders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭JoannieG

Went to see it last night in 3D on in an IMAX theatre - what a waste of 2 hours! The 3D was fuzzy, sound too loud (even the teenagers complained) and the movie had no depth to it. There were a few good light hearted moments but the story-line was 'flat' and predictable. I expected a few more sub-plots as per Michael Crichton's original writing style and I also expected some exploration of the genetic manipulation theme. Ah well, I'll know better the next time...

it is disapointing that quite a few bits of Crichton's books are still left on the cutting room floor in relation to the films, especially the first book and this film since a plot element of that was that the dinosaurs were already spiriling out of the park's control with illegal breeding hidden raptor packs in the wild etc well before the actual formal disaster, would have worked well in the context of a park thats actually open that they were ignoring a growing problem.

though at least the chameleon carnotaurus element got worked in...very briefly in a new context. and the rocket launcher being used on a raptor...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

A 6 out of 10 and that's being generous. God when will these blockbusters ever grow a bitta balls and be different like mad Max fury road earlier this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

I was surprised , I believed all the trailers were too long and showed too much but the only complaint I actually have is the 25min of ad's before the movie actually started.................And i cannot even complain about that GUEST PASS :D.

Enjoyed every thing in it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I went in with low expectations - but I really enjoyed it gotta say.
    You have to leave your brain at the door but if you go with it, it is very fun film

Didn't see the point in the "Parents Getting A Divorce Angle" for the kids
    Also didn't like the way the Aunt (who seemed to be the only one working in the fecking Park) was made feel guilty for not babysitting while she was working- I mean she has a pretty serious job FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Went with a group of friends. Some hated it some liked it.
    I think you have to judge these films for what they are. Not to think too much and just enjoy it. It didn't feel like a 2 and a half hour film to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

6.5/10. It was fine. Given the premise and opportunity it presented the disjointed story was absolute pants. There is no magic, suspense, build-up or wonder at all with Jurassic World. The dinosaurs are just used as props which is a real shame.

My immediate thought when it ended was "God, Jurassic Park really was a masterpiece".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

It wasn't that bad but i was expecting an absolute train wreck when its more of a nasty fender bender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saw it at the weekend and I was really surprised, thought it was very enjoyable. I really went into it thinking it would be bad enough, but as far as summer blockbusters go it was very engaging. Infinitely better than The avengers or any other summer movie I can remember.
    Its made a tonne of money already though($204 million in the states on its opening weekend) so I fear a sequel is a for gone conclusion. I dont see where it could go though. This was essentially a rehash of the first film, even though they have done a great job, I just dont see how they could follow on without repeating the mistakes of Jurassic park II & III.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

It was perfect summer blockbuster popcorn fare. I watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

tunguska wrote: »
    Saw it at the weekend and I was really surprised, thought it was very enjoyable. I really went into it thinking it would be bad enough, but as far as summer blockbusters go it was very engaging. Infinitely better than The avengers or any other summer movie I can remember.
    Its made a tonne of money already though($204 million in the states on its opening weekend) so I fear a sequel is a for gone conclusion. I dont see where it could go though. This was essentially a rehash of the first film, even though they have done a great job, I just dont see how they could follow on without repeating the mistakes of Jurassic park II & III.

Well I think its obvious where it goes next.
    The Chinese scientist guy escaped with all the eggs and embryos. So I expect more mutant dinasours in the sequel.

The Chinese scientist guy escaped with all the eggs and embryos.
    That was one of the things I liked about the JW, that at least one of the old characters was in it and them uncovering the old visitor centre was also pretty cool I thought...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It entertained, and that was pretty much all they set out to do so I suppose it did it's job. Total waste of Vincent D'Onofrio though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

I adore this movie, I have to say, as good as the first one and that was good!! Have seen it 3 times so far, and still makes me jump, brilliant! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Idbatterim wrote: »
    That was one of the things I liked about the JW, that at least one of the old characters was in it and them uncovering the old visitor centre was also pretty cool I thought...

Ya it's a good thing they found an actual pilot later in the movie to take him safely.

If only he'd been around earlier :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ok, I'll start off by saying that I normally like the movies others don't, and really enjoy the "leave your brain at the door" blockbusters. Also, I didn't expect this movie to be good. At all.

So, imagine my surprise when I found out it was actually worse than bad. Aside from Pratt, there wasn't one likeable character in it. The young lads were terrible, that Claire one was cliched and predictable, even Vincent D'Onofrio, who I like in pretty much everything, seemed like he didn't want to be there, and gave a half arsed effort.

The hybrid was a terrible idea, but I knew that before I even saw a trailer. And then to include
    camouflage and thermal cloaking
    was just stupid. Like seriously, did no one think that this was a bad idea from the start? And to think that a multimillion organisation let
    a scientist create this thing without knowing what he was doing?!?

Such a bad film. Really disappointed. Definitely one of the worst films I've seen in a long time. Pity. I suppose it's hard to make a 12's film about dinosaurs getting loose and killing, but not to include the gratuitous gore that should accompany it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

God i just read through the last few pages on this thread and i think I feel less intelligent .....

Like I went to see Jurassic World tonight and loved it (2nd to the original) and i come in here and people are talking about crappy characters...annoying kids (i hope you don't have you're own kids because the kids in this were fairly accurate) moaning about a career woman...(shes running a billion dollar park, she barely has time for herself) all that goes out the window when the park goes to ****...OBVIOUSLY !,

The cgi was fine I didn't see any dinosaurs floating anyway ,
    all the reasons for the I Rex being able to camo and hide its heat signature was explained....and its cleverness left till the end , It was a crossbreed that infused with all sorts of stuff to make it scarier to the pundits...Much like a real theme park will build a monstrosity of a rollercoaster ....to get more money in

Chris Pratts character was fine, The raptor thing was obviously a military project from the start and he was the one that trained this pack of raptors from birth (hence why there wasn't an official raptor enclosure)

I don't know I feel alot of people have lost the run of themselves to be honest slating this when JP1 came out most people were blown away by it and probably watched the movie 100s of times when it came out on video (I did) so no wonder we remember all the characters names and stuff , kids will do the same
    and lastly as for the PA....There was dozens of people killed, it was a pterodactyl attack they focused on her because she was known character in the film

And if you want to flame me and take apart my post feel free, I just think people sometimes get carried away when there criticizing films like this , It is afterall a movie about Dinosaurs....the humans shouldn't be the focus (partly the reasons why bay's transformers movies are terrible)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

God i just read through the last few pages on this thread and i think I feel less intelligent

tl:dr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Since it's done so well, the sequel will happen. Really curious to see where they go next. I feel the next film will be the make or break of the franchise. This one was hella good, but if the next sequel is as bad as JP3, the franchise resurgence could stop there and then.

I wonder what avenues are left to really explore though. Wu disappearing with re embryos is an obvious plot point they could use. Pratt is signed on for more movies but even though he's great in this, where can his character go? He was there to be the alpha of the raptor squad, without the squad, what is his purpose / potential? Other plot issues they could bring in could be the rival company from the original movie coming back into play. Some poster previously pointed out that it's been 22 years, surely some other companies have been able to create their own dinosaurs?

I wonder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

And if you want to flame me and take apart my post feel free, I just think people sometimes get carried away when there criticizing films like this , It is afterall a movie about Dinosaurs....the humans shouldn't be the focus (partly the reasons why bay's transformers movies are terrible)

The Transformer films get slaughtered cause it's full of CGI robots covering up for one dimensional characters and poor storytelling and guess what Jurassic World is full of CGI Dinosaurs smashing things and eaten things to cover up for one dimensional characters and poor storytelling.

The only reason JW isn't a totally bad film, you can see the director actually has some love and care for the Jurassic Park franchise and the film has a great movie star in Chris Pratt (although he's let down by a underwritten role and poor script but his charm and likeability overcome it). The last 20 minutes are a thrill ride. But with a bit more loving care this could have been something special.

I don't understand why this film shouldn't be criticized like any other film, Bay gets slaughtered for his films (deservingly so) but we should let the JW weaknesses cause it has a few Dinosaurs smashing things and that's all some of us want. Sorry Brian, I like to actually have a good thrilling story with characters I care for mixed in with my dinosaurs smashing things. I'm actually glad to see I wasn't the only one not blown away by Jurassic World.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Looper007 wrote: »
    The Transformer films get slaughtered cause it's full of CGI robots covering up for one dimensional characters and poor storytelling and guess what Jurassic World is full of CGI Dinosaurs smashing things and eaten things to cover up for one dimensional characters and poor storytelling.

The only reason JW isn't a totally bad film, you can see the director actually has some love and care for the Jurassic Park franchise and the film has a great movie star in Chris Pratt (although he's let down by a underwritten role and poor script but his charm and likeability overcome it). The last 20 minutes are a thrill ride. But with a bit more loving care this could have been something special.

I don't understand why this film shouldn't be criticized like any other film, Bay gets slaughtered for his films (deservingly so) but we should let the JW weaknesses cause it has a few Dinosaurs smashing things and that's all some of us want. Sorry Brian, I like to actually have a good thrilling story with characters I care for mixed in with my dinosaurs smashing things. I'm actually glad to see I wasn't the only one not blown away by Jurassic World.

Did you care about the characters in the original?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I don't understand why this film shouldn't be criticized like any other film,

Because it was really, really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,301 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If the Transformer movies had transformers as well done, imo, as the Dinosaurs in JW, Transformers would be far more liked, imo. Biggest problem I had with Transformers is the movie focused to much on the human characters and the transformer fights were poorly edited and hard to understand. I went to see Transformers fight. In JW we see the dinosaurs properly. We see tehir fights properly. I went to see Dinosaurs fight - I saw it and was entertained by the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I thought it slightly confusing the in final fight in JW and the Transformers similarity actually occurred to me at the time. It wasn't as bad as Transformers is though and tbh I think it's just what CGI looks like at this point. It is **** but we're sadly stuck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Ed_Stephens

Dreadfully predictable I went to see it in 3d hoping that would liven it up but just more scraping the barrel mediocrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Ed_Stephens

Dreadfully predictable I went to see it in 3d hoping that would liven it up but just more scraping the barrel mediocrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,301 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I thought it slightly confusing the in final fight in JW and the Transformers similarity actually occurred to me at the time. It wasn't as bad as Transformers is though and tbh I think it's just what CGI looks like at this point. It is **** but we're sadly stuck with it.

Really? I found I had absolutely no problem working out what dinosaurs were doing what at any point. I thought it focused enough on the Dino fights, and it was clear to see what each one was doing.

In transformers it was jut a mess of grey metal a lot. Found it hard to know, at times, which transformers I was even looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

God i just read through the last few pages on this thread and i think I feel less intelligent .....

Like I went to see Jurassic World tonight and loved it (2nd to the original) and i come in here and people are talking about crappy characters...annoying kids (i hope you don't have you're own kids because the kids in this were fairly accurate) moaning about a career woman...(shes running a billion dollar park, she barely has time for herself) all that goes out the window when the park goes to ****...OBVIOUSLY !,

The cgi was fine I didn't see any dinosaurs floating anyway ,
    all the reasons for the I Rex being able to camo and hide its heat signature was explained....and its cleverness left till the end , It was a crossbreed that infused with all sorts of stuff to make it scarier to the pundits...Much like a real theme park will build a monstrosity of a rollercoaster ....to get more money in

Chris Pratts character was fine, The raptor thing was obviously a military project from the start and he was the one that trained this pack of raptors from birth (hence why there wasn't an official raptor enclosure)

I don't know I feel alot of people have lost the run of themselves to be honest slating this when JP1 came out most people were blown away by it and probably watched the movie 100s of times when it came out on video (I did) so no wonder we remember all the characters names and stuff , kids will do the same
    and lastly as for the PA....There was dozens of people killed, it was a pterodactyl attack they focused on her because she was known character in the film

This.
    I'll tell you what, it was a far more exciting 2 and a half hours than WWE Raw or Smackdown.
    619! 619!

Advertisement