Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Lecturers who don't use blackboard or who don't post notes anywhere really get on my tits...

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Maigh Eo

snubbleste wrote: »
    Nobody forces you to go to the Bialann. Did you not see the price before you approached the till?
    Tesco is right across the road.

Hey, sorry but there is no single price included for yoghurt. How true that no one forces me to go. Please remember that this is a rant about NUIG campus, college life. But, hey thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

Mary I has a tap/fountain for water in their canteen so you don't have to buy bottled water, we don't.

Just wondering - there was definitely a water tap in the bialann last year, beside where they used to have the soup. I was under the impression it was still around this year... or have they removed it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Here's another rant about An Bhialann. Got a hot dinner today and used my usual line, "No veg please, just plenty of mash". Normally I'd be given about five or six scoops of mash instead of veg. Today the lady behind the counter informed me that, "From now on, there's only two scoops of mash in a portion. It'll cost extra if you want more than two scoops."

What the f*ck? It's only a bit of mashed potato, one of the cheapest things you could possibly make. The vegetables that I'm not asking for probably cost more than the "extra" mash I ask for. There's no problem at all over in the College Bar.

It's one of the silliest cost-cutting measures I've ever seen :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Here's another rant about An Bhialann. Got a hot dinner today and used my usual line, "No veg please, just plenty of mash". Normally I'd be given about five or six scoops of mash instead of veg. Today the lady behind the counter informed me that, "From now on, there's only two scoops of mash in a portion. It'll cost extra if you want more than two scoops."

What the f*ck? It's only a bit of mashed potato, one of the cheapest things you could possibly make. The vegetables that I'm not asking for probably cost more than the "extra" mash I ask for. There's no problem at all over in the College Bar.

Never forget.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

ciano1 wrote: »
    Lecturers who don't use blackboard or who don't post notes anywhere really get on my tits...
    So very much this. I had an entire ****ing module that I only found out about a week before my exam because it wasn't on Blackboard. Obviously the underlying problem there of not going in much is my own fault, but it seems silly that an IT module (of all subjects) would not be integrated into Blackboard at all.

Also the lecturers that pretend to use Blackboard, tell you notes are available there etc then you check before your exams and there's like, 2 Powerpoint slideshows on there that make absolutely no sense in their own right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

What I find even worse is that there are lecturers who will not put up the lectures on Blackboard in order to try and coax the students out of bed!!!

I attend all my lectures and now have to run around like a tít half an hour before my lecture to get the notes from BB so that I can annotate them. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Imagine how students used to manage in the past without blackboard etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

There IS free water available in the canteen.

At the centre island thing (where you get tea etc.) at the till end of it. There are also small white disposable cups there which you can use, but they're small. I recommend bringing a bottle, otherwise you end up like me and have to fill 4 cups (I like my water).

As much as I hate defending the canteen, the free water is there!

Probably how my great grandmother managed without a washing machine and all the other modern conveniences we have today....What's your point???:confused:

EDIT: What I'm asking you is
    a) are you saying that students in the past had a difficult time as they lacked the technology us current students can now avail of or
    b) are you sayin "suck it" and quit whining??

• Advertisement

Probably how my great grandmother managed without a washing machine and all the other modern conveniences we have today....

Your great grandmother?

:rolleyes:

Young people these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 muselover

is Blackboard working for anyone else?!:confused:

muselover wrote: »
    is Blackboard working for anyone else?!:confused:

Working grand for me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭HotDogger

I hate this attitude. "They didn't have this electric shyte when I was yer age laddy, just copy the notes frantically off the overhead and you'll get on grand."

I heard they use the internet in the future. Might as well use it now too.

tbf if there was no Blackboard, and by extension no internet, I might actually go into college

And we could junk that useless "concept" the wheel. Then we could ride goddam dog sleds into the auld lectures. Wouldn't that be grand?

dog-sled.jpg

Luddism works well in a country blighted by rampant alcoholism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

tbf if there was no Blackboard, and by extension no internet, I might actually go into college
    ... and actually listen to the lecturer, and take your own notes which would obviously then be tailored to your own learning style? ;)

I'm not anti-Blackboard at all, I think it can be a very useful tool, but there's no doubt that it's a mixed blessing at times.

... and actually listen to the lecturer, and take your own notes which would obviously then be tailored to your own learning style? ;)

I'm not anti-Blackboard at all, I think it can be a very useful tool, but there's no doubt that it's a mixed blessing at times.

Mixed blessing? Apart from getting assignments off it, I've never actually found Blackboard useful. None of the lecturers use it properly (whats the point in putting a Learning Outcomes link up if it's blank on every module?) and the notes are always completely abstract Powerpoint slides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Mixed blessing? Apart from getting assignments off it, I've never actually found Blackboard useful. None of the lecturers use it properly (whats the point in putting a Learning Outcomes link up if it's blank on every module?) and the notes are always completely abstract Powerpoint slides.

The 'Learning Outcomes' thing is just part of the default template.

Blackboard is useful for submitting assignments, has a facility to be used as a discussion board, for notes (obviously), and can also be used for continuous assessment.

However it's up to the lecturer and the students to use the facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

The 'Learning Outcomes' thing is just part of the default template.

Blackboard is useful for submitting assignments, has a facility to be used as a discussion board, for notes (obviously), and can also be used for continuous assessment.

However it's up to the lecturer and the students to use the facilities.

It is only ever used for lecture notes for science.

What I would really appreciate (and have suggested to a few lecturers and heads of depts) is to use a shared google calendar where updates and changes to the time can be put up and EVERYONES calendar is then updated.

I've set one up myself and I know a couple people in the class use it. Any time a date or a deadline is emailed to us, I put it on the calendar. I don't do this for the good of the class, i do it for myself otherwise I'd be lost. final year be crazy yo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Fisher Calhoun

The College Bar tried to do this about two years ago. They were going to charge something like 50c for each extra scoop of mash. I remember the chef telling me one day and I simply avoided the place for a long time after. When I did go back, they didn't seem to have kept it on.
    HotDogger wrote: »
    I hate this attitude. "They didn't have this electric shyte when I was yer age laddy, just copy the notes frantically off the overhead and you'll get on grand."

I heard they use the internet in the future. Might as well use it now too.
    I hate this attitude! Students are expecting everything to be handed to them on a silver platter. College is supposed to have an element of independent learning. I do think Blackboard is one of the most useful tools of recent times and having notes beforehand means you can get so much more out of a lecture (by making your own notes, etc, instead of having to frantically take down overhead notes!). That said, it's an educational support tool. It's not a replacement for attending lectures like many students seem to think it is.

Fisher Calhoun;70333994]I hate this attitude! Students are expecting everything to be handed to them on a silver platter.[/QUOTE]
    When you're paying 6 grand for one year you can be forgiven for expecting a little more than a man talking at you for an hour and some keywords on an overhead projector.
    I do think Blackboard is one of the most useful tools of recent times and having notes beforehand means you can get so much more out of a lecture (by making your own notes, etc, instead of having to frantically take down overhead notes!).
    But most of the time the 'notes' are just words or very short sentences that don't really make any sense unless you already know the topic.
    That said, it's an educational support tool. It's not a replacement for attending lectures like many students seem to think it is.
    Which is true, but the students that do go into lectures shouldn't be punished with a scarcely used Blackboard just because the lecturer wants to 'encourage' the other students to come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

It is only ever used for lecture notes for science.

When I did biochem it was used for continuous assessment every week.

Which is true, but the students that do go into lectures shouldn't be punished with a scarcely used Blackboard just because the lecturer wants to 'encourage' the other students to come in.

Excactly my point. I would miss on average about 4 lectures over the course of the whole year and I hate when I don't have access to the notes until after the lecture.
    It is particularly difficult as I'm studying molecular biology and there are an awful lot of diagrams which are very difficult to make sense of unless you can annotate them during the lecture....

90% of my lecturers:

"Oh em gee, um, first you... oh no wait... oh yes you errr... okay take this and... wait something's not right.. well anyway... I guess we'll finish here for today."

Literally.

• Advertisement

When I did biochem it was used for continuous assessment every week.

We've never had proper continuous assessment. It creates too much work for lecturers, setting all those questions and reading/correcting all that work! Far easier to have one exam at the end.

/rollsEyes

Too right. And even correcting those exams is a pain.
    Students will complain anyway - about having too much coursework, about the methods used to assess them, about the exams... etc. Students are a complete shower of whingebags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

A lecturer was trying to demonstrate an online assessment tool to us a few days ago. Seeing this come up on a massive projector screen was pretty hilarious/embarrassing:
    http://webwork.nuigalway.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Fisher Calhoun

A lecturer was trying to demonstrate an online assessment tool to us a few days ago. Seeing this come up on a massive projector screen was pretty hilarious/embarrassing:
    http://webwork.nuigalway.ie/

That's just brilliant! Now I'm curious as to who the lecturer was!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 muselover

Just had a hellish 24 hours due to food poisoning, thanks to the Bialann! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

What had you eaten? I'd like to know what to avoid! That's crap though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

Me too! egg salad sandwich I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

the broccoli from the salad bar tastes like it's been marinating in diesel for a week and the scrambled eggs from the breakfast bar bit taste like a watery old rubber cloth

While I'm at it-the most annoying thing I've noticed in NUIG are the people who come into lectures, sit behind you, then proceed to "whisper" a conversation for the entire hour leaving you half hearing the lecturer and half filling in the gaps for yourself.......why do they even bother to come in at all?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Blackboard is down again :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

its working for me :) probably just a temporary thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Workin fine for me too just logged in

While I'm at it-the most annoying thing I've noticed in NUIG are the people who come into lectures, sit behind you, then proceed to "whisper" a conversation for the entire hour leaving you half hearing the lecturer and half filling in the gaps for yourself.......why do they even bother to come in at all?!

I told my class the last day that they were welcome to whisper if they wanted, but only if it was actually whispering because otherwise I couldn't hear myself think.

Nobody seems to know how to actually whisper these days - it's a shame :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Came back for me as well.

I frequently tell people in the library to shut up. I've gone over to people and asked them to take their conversation outside. People are usually so embarrassed that they leave immediately.

I haven't been in big lectures for a couple years but people whispering used to annoy the **** out of me.

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    I told my class the last day that they were welcome to whisper if they wanted, but only if it was actually whispering because otherwise I couldn't hear myself think.

Nobody seems to know how to actually whisper these days - it's a shame :(

It is a real shame, whispering appears to be a dying art........;)

Just got an email telling us that the results for all our work last semester are now available... on the office door. It's a shame there isn't like, some way of conveying information these days in a fast an efficient manner, an internet perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ZRelation

Just got an email telling us that the results for all our work last semester are now available... on the office door. It's a shame there isn't like, some way of conveying information these days in a fast an efficient manner, an internet perhaps.
    Guess walking all the way to the office kind of adds some suspense?

ZRelation wrote: »
    Guess walking all the way to the office kind of adds some suspense?
    Online alternatives can offer suspense too, like when the CAO website couldn't handle the traffic got hacked and went down on offers day :D

It's confusing though... surely if it's printed off and stuck on a door, it came from a word/excel file... I'd expect an IT lecturer to have the capacity to upload it..

True, even e-mailing it would probably take less time than printing and rooting around for a thumb-tack..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUs7iG1mNjI

I think feedback would be helpful at my school.

I hand in some assignments every now and then and it would be nice if my assigned pedagogues would take some time away from their research to correct them and add some shet like: "this is right, and this is wrong and here's why..."

I reckon they could have as much time to correct them as they gave me to complete them (a week). Instead I just get them out of a box at the end of the semester with a grade at the top and zero comments.

I used to leave lots of feedback when marking...when it became obvious no one was reading it I stopped.

Ah, so you gave up then eh? You sound like a quitter.

• Advertisement

Yeah, pretty much. Doesn't help when you're not getting paid for it though!

Advertisement