Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the school gates - Equate Ireland campaign

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

It won't open.

I can't for the life of me figure out where he's pulling that out if... This is the text from the pdf he linked.

“NEW GOVERNMENT MUST OPEN THE SCHOOL GATES TO ALL CHILDREN”
    Press Release, Monday 1st
    February 2016
    Children’s rights organisation EQUATE today announced a campaign aimed at making reform
    of our school’s system a priority of the next government.
    The ‘Open The School Gates’ campaign is supported by key children and human rights
    organisations including The ISPCC, Barnardos, Children’s Rights Alliance, EPIC, Migrant’s
    Rights Centre of Ireland, BeLonG To, One Family, Pavee Point and The Humanist Association
    of Ireland.
    Speaking the launch of the campaign, EQUATE Executive Director Michael Barron said “The
    time has come for all schools to be inclusive so that no child, regardless of their religion, is
    excluded from their local school. The next government needs to prioritise education reform so
    all children can grow and learn together’
    “Today we are delighted to be joined by so many key children and human rights groups who
    support equality in education. We believe that no child should be excluded from their local
    school because of their religion or identity and we need to reform the classroom so every child
    can experience and participate throughout the school day, regardless of religion or non-
    religion. We have reached a national concensus on the need for these reforms, the question is
    no longer ‘if’ but ‘how’ and ‘when’. We call on all political parties to prioritise equality in
    education in the election ahead and on the next governement to make it a key area of work.”
    As part of the campaign, EQUATE is encouraging people contact all candidates in their
    constituency through their website portal but also to question local election candidates when
    they call to their door, asking them to:
     Work to change the law so local schools cannot refuse a child because of their religion
     Work to reform the school day so all children can take part in every class
     Campaign for a greater number of multi and non-denominational schools
    They also launched a short online film called ‘Open the School Gates’ which aims to further
    the national conversation on equality in our schools.
    Jodie Neary, a parent speaking at today’s launch stated, “I am mother of young twin girls and
    like many other parents I don’t know where my children will be going to school and that is
    simply because my partner and I have chosen not to baptise our children.
    “I am supporting the Open the School Gates campaign because I want my children to have the
    same rights to a school place as any other child in our community. I want politicians to know
    that this is a real concern for me and many parents in my community and the time has come
    for the law to change”
    Grainia Long, CEO of ISPCC Childline speaking at the launch stated “We are proud to support
    EQUATE’s campaign and become an active member of the “Open the School Gates Coalition.
    “The ISPCC mission is to ensure all children have a positive experience of childhood and that
    must start with allowing all children to access their local school and then for schools to be
    inclusive, supportive and protective of children’s rights.”

Notes to the editor:
    1. Michael Barron is available for interview
    2. EQUATE General Election 2016 Manifesto: http://www.equateireland.ie/#!general-
    election-2016/c1cuz
    3. EQUATE’s Behaviour and Attitudes research:
    o 46% would not chose a Christian school for their child if they had a choice
    locally
    o 1 in 5 are aware of someone who has baptised their child just to get them into
    the local school
    o 84% think the Irish education system should be reformed so that no child is
    excluded because of their religion or non-religion
    o 77% do not think a school should have right to refuse admission to a child who
    has a different religion to that of the school’s patron
    o 62% think reform of school patronage should be a key priority for next
    Government
    o 87% think that the State has responsibility to ensure that children do not
    experience religious discrimination in school curriculum
    o 82% think Ireland should do all it can to honour its international human rights
    obligations to ensure equality in our education system
    ENDS
    For further information, please contact:
    Fidelma Guinan (Tel) 0862344751
    (Email) fidelma@equateireland.ie
    About EQUATE:
    EQUATE is a children’s rights organisation that is advocating for a substantial change in how
    primary and secondary school education is delivered in Ireland. We believe that education is
    a fundamental cornerstone of our society and our schools must operate in the best interest
    of all our children. We believe that our education system must be fit for purpose in the 21st
    century, reflecting the diversity of our families, our communities and our
    society.www.equateireland.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

equate's solution seems to be more different private schools afaik funded by millionaires not tax payers
    :confused:
    I can't for the life of me figure out where he's pulling that out if... This is the text from the pdf he linked.

Thank you! Thought it was missing a page or something ;) Looks fine to me. I'm all for the campaign, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So it doesn't in any way substantiate the rather ridiculous allegation made.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

So it doesn't in any way substantiate the rather ridiculous allegation made.
    If my life on boards has told me one useful thing, it's that primary-source documents very rarely say what people say they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

That's the thing though, these aren't private schools, they are public schools funded with public money
    they are private schools funded with public money

• Advertisement

they are private schools funded with public money

Incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Incorrect.

Why? All schools in receipt of state funding must have a patron and are private entities with boards of management.

lazygal wrote: »
    Why? All schools in receipt of state funding must have a patron and are private entities with boards of management.

Incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Incorrect.
    Why?

lazygal wrote: »
    Why?

National schools are funded directly by the state and jointly administered by the state, a patron body and local community representatives.

A patron can be a religious body, Educate Together committees or Gaelscoil committees.

90% of the are under the patronage of the catholic church and a good chunk of them are on lands or in building held in trust by or directly owned by the catholic church but the schools are NOT private schools. National schools cannot refuse entry based on religion but they can give preference to children based on faith. Children can be bussed into an area and given preference to local children based solely on their religion. That's ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

^ that post seems to contain an integral U-turn :D
    You got it right in the end though.

Secular education campaign shut down after ethics probe https://www.irishcatholic.com/secular-education-campaign-shut-ethics-probe/ how would shutting down absolve it of any transgressions?

Interesting, that's 3 orgs that have been smitten now (Ed Equality and Amnesty too)
    Maybe SIPO are going after the individuals who controlled Equate? The article doesn't say.
    EE are scurrying now to form themselves into a limited company, which would protect individual members more.

Michael Nugent and the two other roads from "atheist Ireland" are total uncivil prose deleted

Michael Nugent and the two other roads from "atheist Ireland" are total *******.
    I don't entirely believe this Irish catholic article because it doesn't make sense that they would be given the option of not returning the money if it wasn't legal. Although Im guess IC has FOI'd docs to back this up.
    https://www.irishcatholic.com/secular-education-campaign-shut-ethics-probe/
    but their description of Equate is dead right, rich people of any stripe shouldn't be so able to steer politicians (or perhaps simply enable politicians to do the least possible and be congratulated for it.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Michael Nugent and the two other roads from "atheist Ireland" are total uncivil prose deleted
    You have been carded for incivilty.

Your next uncivil post here in A+A will earn you a red card.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There's always been a bad whiff off Equate.

The rules are there for everyone and we really don't want televangelist money flooding into campaigns in Ireland 1983-style.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I don't entirely believe this Irish catholic article because it doesn't make sense that they would be given the option of not returning the money if it wasn't legal.
    Maybe they had already spent most of it? Just easier for them to shut up shop and tell SIPO the whole operation is disbanded. SIPO could in theory go after individuals then for committing some offence or other, but why bother.

recedite wrote: »
    Maybe they had already spent most of it? Just easier for them to shut up shop and tell SIPO the whole operation is disbanded. SIPO could in theory go after individuals then for committing some offence or other, but why bother.

...while Amnesty wants to keep going...

Atheist Ireland says One foundation itself had already disbanded before? Equate was set up, so SIPO should scrutinise the funders directly...

would like to see the complaint Athiest Ireland sent to SIPO

Advertisement