Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Nice one Skid. Some very interesting stuff there, I reckon.

Merry Christmas dudes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Just caught the end of Andy Williams doing some jamming with Ray Charles ... looked like good fun

It's on again at 2am I might tape it/watch it if I'm still up

Never actually listened to much Ray Charles, till I bought a double cd best of for €3 in Heatons a few months ago.

I believe every single person should add it to their collection, probably the best thing I bought this year.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Never actually listened to much Ray Charles, till I bought a double cd best of for €3 in Heatons a few months ago.

I believe every single person should add it to their collection, probably the best thing I bought this year.

+1

What a performer. Huge charisma and a great singer too.

Problem with this duets programme is that it could be very hit and miss.

Having said that, it's been almost entirely middle of the road so far!

G'wan Cilla!

• Advertisement

Ow! Check out the threads on Neil Diamond. Looking foxy Neiler!

He was on the Late Late a while back. Seemed like a bit if a mentaler.

Problem with this duets programme is that it could be very hit and miss.

Having said that, it's been almost entirely middle of the road so far!

G'wan Cilla!

Yeah, it's one of those 'dredge the archives' shows. Although I quite like some of the songs so far.

I'd love to have a go at the BBC archives, they must have some amazing videos (it would be even better if they hadn't taped over half of it)

Yeah, that'd be amazing. I'd probably just start at the Jools Holland section. And probably just stay there, to be honest.

I've seen several of these songs in other shows on BBC 4 recently.

This reminds me, i'm goin to town tomorrow. Must get an Allman Brothers album or two.

"Ireland's Industry, that is what we are ... "

In my opinion, no-one ever came close to Roy Orbison

His back catalogue is amazing

• Advertisement

Fionn Davenport (I know!) did a good piece about Roy on the Pat Kenny show the other day. Worth a listen.

Watching When Albums Ruled The World now. Slash, Noel Gallagher and Nile Rogers have been on in the first 3 minutes. This is very promising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Watching When Albums Ruled The World now. Slash, Noek Gallagher and Nile Rogers have been on in the first 3 minutes. This is very promising.

I saw it a couple of months ago. Fantastic programme.

If I'd seen it even a few days ago, I would've changed the Christmas list to include a record player.

I missed a Top of The Pops 2 Christmas Special in the listings, tonight at 7.30 on BBC2
    Mark Radcliffe delves into the BBC vaults to present a selection of Christmas music, featuring perennial classics from the likes of John & Yoko, Slade, Wizzard, Wham!, Jona Lewie, the Pogues featuring Kirsty MacColl and Paul McCartney. Plus, there is a new festive performance by Boyzone, a peek at the Killers' annual Christmas video and archive performances by Teardrop Explodes, Darts, Mud, Depeche Mode, Emeli Sande, the Hollies and Jimmy Osmond

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,276 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Skid X wrote: »
    I missed a Top of The Pops 2 Christmas Special in the listings, tonight at 7.30 on BBC2

Not bad so far, some non-Christmassy curveballs thrown in...Free Nelson Mandela?!

Not bad so far, some non-Christmassy curveballs thrown in...Free Nelson Mandela?!

I enjoyed The non Cristmassy Teardrop Explodes very much.

The Barron Knights make Mario Rosenstock look like Mozart.

I enjoyed The non Cristmassy Teardrop Explodes very much.

The Barron Knights make Mario Rosenstock look like Mozart.

I was thinking more the 'Liveline' Funny Friday gang!

Methinks Bing has absolutely no idea who Bowie is!

This is the very reason Punk happened.

Bono's mullet...tonight thank God it's him instead of us!

Gabrielle Aplin's version of Power of Love isn't bad.

Nice arrangement.

• Advertisement

HERE WE GO!

HERE WE GO!

I had to pause it there .... Shaky! You can't beat the classics. Nice little pension for him.

Ronan shouldn't be let near Christmas songs after his version of 'Fairytale Of New York'.

'You're cheap and you're haggered'

*flushes toilet*

Lou Reed gone this year RIP

A good song to finish on, they normally end with White Christmas which isn't a Pop song at all.

A mixed bag of Moozik in Christmas 1977

David Soul!
    Hot Chocolate!

Friday Night is Abba Night, tomorrow on BBC Four ...

9pm The Joy of Abba
    Documentary exploring how pop legends Abba raised the bar for their music genre in the 1970s and early '80s, popularising the sound of Swedish melancholy. The programme explores how the quartet of Agnetha Faltskog, Bjorn Ulvaeus, Benny Andersson and Anni-Frid Lyngstad came to dominate the British music charts with simple, catchy melodies, but also divided opinion due to the mass-produced prolificacy of their output

10pm - Abba at the BBC
    A collection of memorable performances by the group on the BBC. Agnetha Faltskog, Bjorn Ulvaeus, Benny Andersson and Anni-Frid Lyngstad were thrust into the limelight in 1974 when Waterloo triumphed at the Eurovision Song Contest in Brighton, marking the start of their meteoric rise. Various outings were captured by the corporation's cameras over the next few years and several are featured here alongside their Top of the Pops dedbut, archive interviews and fly-on-the-wall footage. There is also a chance to see the foursome on a 1982 edition of Noel Edmonds' Late, Late Breakfast Show, which was Abba's last televised appearance in the UK

11pm - Agnetha: Abba & After
    Documentary telling the story of Agnetha Faltskog's music career as both a member of the Swedish pop group and a successful solo singer in her own right. Including interviews with Gary Barlow, who features on her new comeback album, plus Abba's Bjorn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson, DJ Tony Blackburn and lyricist Tim Rice

12pm Midnight - Disco at the BBC
    Archive performances of disco classics by acts including Chic, Rose Royce, Labelle, Gladys Knight and Village People, from shows such as Top of the Pops, The Old Grey Whistle Test and Later with Jools Holland

Watched the American anthems show earlier. Hit and miss tunes, for sure, but very interesting programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I had it on live pause (to get some supper just as it started) this turned out to be a blessing as I could zip straight past the Bon Jovi bit!

American Rock Anthems is a pretty dodgy topic for a good music show in any event! :p

Just watched the Sex Pistols documentary...Johnny Rotten cutting cake for kids on Christmas Day, who'd thunk it?

• Advertisement

On the day before it's 50th Anniversary, It's still Number One - It's Top Of The Pops!

New Year's Eve BBC1 5.30pm - Top of The Pops
    Fearne Cotton and Reggie Yates review the year in music, remembering the stars who burned brightly during the past 12 months and introducing the first number one of 2014. Artists include Little Mix, James Arthur, the Vamps, London Grammar, John Newman, Jessie J, Arctic Monkeys, Ellie Goulding, Chase and Status, Tinie Tempah and John Martin

Gary Barlow seems to own the BBC recently, and he rings in the New Year on BBC1 (way too soon since his last BBC1 concert) ...

New Years Eve BBC1 11.15pm - Gary Barlow's Big Ben Bash Live
    he rounds off the year with a live gig at the Central Hall in London's Westminster, joined by a few special guests as he performs favourites from his Take That back catalogue as well as numbers from his new album Since I Saw You Last. Gary will also take a break for the chimes of Big Ben and the traditional fireworks display over the Thames, before returning with a few more songs to see in the new year

Meanwhile on BBC2, for the 92nd consecutive year ...

New Years Eve BBC2 11.30pm - Hootenanny!
    The line-up features former Kinks frontman Ray Davies, singer-songwriter Lisa Stansfield, Edinburgh duo the Proclaimers, Spice Girl Melanie C, Jamaican vocalist Dawn Penn, who teams up with Madness saxophonist Lee Thompson, east London outfit Rudimental and Colorado band the Lumineers. Others to watch out for include rising soul star Laura Mvula, Haim, Charlie Wilson of the Gap Band, North Yorkshire lad John Newman and a woman who's become a fixture on the annual show - veteran Ruby Turner.

As usual, Jools' own Rhythm and Blues Orchestra will be backing many of the solo stars, and as the clocks strike 12, the Pipes and Drums of the 1st Battalion Scots Guards help ring in the new year in their own rousing fashion. As well as the musical entertainment, Jools chats to the celebrity audience members, asking them to share their thoughts on the past year and give their predictions for 2014

If you are heading out, it's usually worth taping (even if you skip through some of it)

For the night that's in it, the local stations have some half decent alternatives

RTE1 10.15pm - New Year's Eve Live - The Ultimate Gathering
    Daithi O Se and Sinead Kennedy are in Dublin to see in the New Year at the Countdown Concert in College Green, alongside artists including Ryan Sheridan,Madness, The Strypes and MKS (The original Sugababes). Meanwhile, Will Leahy welcomes Limerick City of Culture from a concert on the banks of the Shannon with special guests Dolores O'Riordan, the Coronas and the Strypes

** The Strypes playing both Limerick and Dublin, some kind of homage to Phil Collins's dual performances at Live Aid, presumably :)

TG4 9.50pm - Gradam Ceoil TG4 2013
    Gradam Ceoil TG4 2013
    Footage of TG4's annual trad awards ceremony from the UL Concert Hall in Limerick, featuring Seamus Beaglaoich, Dermot Byrne, Tommy Peoples and Donal McCague, with performances from Altan, Sharon Shannon, Mary Black and Matt Molloy. Presented by Aoife Ni Thuairisg and Paidi O Lionaird

TG4 11.30pm - Saw Doctors in Concert
    It's The Saw Doctors, live in their home county at the Black Box, Galway, entertaining a loyal audience with songs including N17, Red Cortina, What a Day, Same Oul' Town and Tommy K

TG4 12.30am - The Pogues and the Dubliners
    David Heffernan presents footage of the Pogues and the Dubliners in session with former Clash frontman Joe Strummer

That's all, Happy New Year to everyone :)

Brilliant post, Skid. Thanks for that.

It'll be Hootenanny for me, as per usual. Will flick to the RTE stuff, but my I've a feeling it will test my patience quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Brilliant post, Skid. Thanks for that.

It'll be Hootenanny for me, as per usual. Will flick to the RTE stuff, but my I've a feeling it will test my patience quite a bit.

I'll be looking over your shoulder Donie....;):D

I don't think I'd be up to Daithi and his jumpers to ring in the New Year!...

Happy New Year to you all too!!...........:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The one thing that's disconcerting about the Hootenanny is the fact that it's recorded well in advance. It's as if Jools and his mates have decided they've got better things to be doing on New Year's Eve ;)

Dead right Harry. To be fair I've never enjoyed it as much as I used to since I discovered that.

In other news, there's a programme about Jimi Hendrix on at 2.05 on BBC2 tonight for any serious night owls out there.

Dead right Harry. To be fair I've never enjoyed it as much as I used to since I discovered that.

In other news, there's a programme about Jimi Hendrix on at 2.05 on BBC2 tonight for any serious night owls out there.

Well spotted, Ol' Donie. I saw that one a while back on BBC1, I enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

Gary Barlow will soon enslave us all. I for one welcome our Cheshire Overlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Just caught up with the TOTP Christmas special.

I strongly doubt that I'm the only one who feels that the Beeb are keeping the thing going simply because it's tradition (you have to go all the way back to 1966 for the last TOTP-less Christmas Day). No matter that the brand is stained now, or that the format just doesn't work as well in the 21st century as it did in the 20th.

Or, indeed, that the last decent Christmas episode was ages ago.

This year's was awful in more ways than one. Not only did Fearne Cotton and Reggie Yates present for the tenth year running, and just say the same old stuff about all the songs being really, really great - but there was a bland new title sequence, featuring an equally bland new logo, and a ROTTEN remix of "Whole Lotta Love".

Not that the members of the target audience will mind too much. Many of them wouldn't be tremendously interested in the history of TOTP, anyway - indeed, many of them were still in nappies, or even still to be born, when the show had its last truly great days under Ric Blaxill in the mid '90s.

They won't mind the New Year's episode too much either, even though it'll be more or less the same as the Christmas episode and hence hardly any better.

As for the 50th anniversary, it's no real surprise that very little is being done to celebrate it. :(

Just caught up with the TOTP Christmas special.

I strongly doubt that I'm the only one who feels that the Beeb are keeping the thing going simply because it's tradition (you have to go all the way back to 1966 for the last TOTP-less Christmas Day). No matter that the brand is stained now, or that the format just doesn't work as well in the 21st century as it did in the 20th.

Or, indeed, that the last decent Christmas episode was ages ago.

This year's was awful in more ways than one. Not only did Fearne Cotton and Reggie Yates present for the tenth year running, and just say the same old stuff about all the songs being really, really great - but there was a bland new title sequence, featuring an equally bland new logo, and a ROTTEN remix of "Whole Lotta Love".

Not that the members of the target audience will mind too much. Many of them wouldn't be tremendously interested in the history of TOTP, anyway - indeed, many of them were still in nappies, or even still to be born, when the show had its last truly great days under Ric Blaxill in the mid '90s.

They won't mind the New Year's episode too much either, even though it'll be more or less the same as the Christmas episode and hence hardly any better.

As for the 50th anniversary, it's no real surprise that very little is being done to celebrate it. :(

Yeah, it's sad to see the show limping along with the BBC showing no real enthusiasm for it.

The BBC don't have any ideas for TOTP, and they won't let anyone else take over the Brand because they would look like idiots if it was successful on another station. Channel 5 were reportedly looking to take it over a few years ago, but nothing came of it

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/desmond-bids-to-capture-top-of-the-pops-2170390.html
    Sources declined to elaborate on why the BBC would refuse to sell Top of the Pops to Mr Desmond. However, BBC Worldwide, which owns the brand, said that it would not enter into negotiations with him.

Paul Dempsey, who oversees BBC Worldwide's Audio & Music division and is the "guardian" of Top of the Pops, said: "I don't think we would lead that discussion, from a BBC perspective. It's a brand that is very precious to the BBC and they have got no intention of it being in anyone else's hands."

It's a bit like a failed marriage, where one partner wants to move on, but the other doesn't want to see it end :D

I don't honestly know if there is a place for a TOTP revival in 2014, but it would be nice if someone could breathe new life into it.

I think I'm in a minority here, but my memory of TOTP (mostly from late 80's and early nineties) is mostly just a feeling of disappointment. I really struggled with the idea that so many of the most popular songs in the UK seemed to be rubbish. (I now realise this is because chart music is usually pretty bad).

Anyway, Happy New Year everyone!!

I think I'm in a minority here, but my memory of TOTP (mostly from late 80's and early nineties) is mostly just a feeling of disappointment. I really struggled with the idea that so many of the most popular songs in the UK seemed to be rubbish. (I now realise this is because chart music is usually pretty bad).

Anyway, Happy New Year everyone!!

Yeah, it wasn't for everyone but I have very fond memories of it over the years.

I've bored everyone with them here often enough, but a random selection from my formative years include

- Seeing Foster and Allen dressed up as Leprachauns and being proud that there were Irish people on the show (I was small)

- Getting excited when Musical Youth got to Number One and watching every week until Culture Club knocked them (and not being convinced when my Dad said Boy George was Irish, so it was good to see them at Number One)

- Seeing the Tiswas Bucket of Water song on TOTP was the greatest thing ever

- Thinking the three Phil Collins standing beside each other in 'You can't hurry love' was the most mind blowing piece of computer wizardry ever

- Watching Band Aid perform live and wonder why some chancer (Paul Weller) was pretending to be Bono

- Thinking Cliff Richard featuring The Young Ones was the best thing ever

- A week later thinking the Spitting Image Chicken Song was the best thing ever

Happy Days :) I drifted in and out of it for years but I stayed watching until the end.

• Advertisement

My turn!

- Ian Brown performing 'My Star', throwing eggs at the backdrop whilst the drummer banged away at a tray of Er, eggs.

- Eels performing 'Novocaine For The Soul' using children's toy musical instruments and trashing them at the end.

- Travis performing 'Sing' when the band covered Fran Healy in custard pies at the end. Crazy Scottish!

- Roy 'Chubby' Brown performing the timeless 'Living Next Door To Alice (Who The F**k Is Alice) with Smokie. Swearing is funny.

- Jarvis Cocker opening his suit jacket to reveal the words 'I HATE WET WET WET' in massive letters, much to Marti Pellow's chagrin. Hate is all around.

- Alex James of Blur wearing an Oasis t-shirt during their performance of 'Country House' after their victory in the singles chart.

- Take That impersonating Mr. Blobby after knocking him off the top spot, only for the pink-and-yellow-spotted one to climb back to No.1!

- Two members of Crowded House crashing into each other during a 'Live Via Satellite' performance.

- East 17 performing 'Deep' with a woman dressed as a mermaid suspended several feet in the air (no idea).

And finally...Nirvana's infamous performance of 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' when Kurt Cobain sang in a baritone voice and changed the lyrics.

And I'm done!

YES! YES! YES!

Finally! Roll on next Friday!

:D:D:D

Ooh, very nice. The video was 'Not available in your country' but I twiddled the knobs and got it working :D An American Rock Season sounds good

Here's how it kicks off (Friday Jan 10th from 9pm)

http://www.locatetv.com/uk/listings/bbc4#10-Jan-2014

9:00pmRiders on the Storm

Season 1 Episode 1: Riders on the Storm
    A look at the evolution of 20th-century American rock music, beginning with the days of flower power, Vietnam and LSD, when bands like the Doors, Jefferson Airplane and MC5 sang about 'the revolution'. The first episode concentrates on the late 1960s, exploring the artists that made the soundtrack to the Peace and Love generation, culminating in the Woodstock music festival. However, the event proved a watershed moment for rock music's reactionary era, as the marketeers lined up ready to turn this kind of output from protest into profit. Contributers include Alice Cooper and Tom Petty

10:00pmJimi Hendrix: The Road to Woodstock
    Jimi Hendrix: The Road to Woodstock
    A definitive account of one of the guitarist's most celebrated performances, at the New York festival in 1969, featuring signature renditions of Purple Haze, Voodoo Child and the Star Spangled Banner. The programme includes interviews with Woodstock promoter Michael Lang and Hendrix's band members Mitch Mitchell, Billy Cox, Larry Lee and Juma Sultan

11:00pmThe Doors: The Story of LA Woman
    The Doors: The Story of LA Woman
    The making of psychedelic rock band the Doors' 1971 album LA Woman, which was recorded during a period of growing social unrest and change in America. Members Ray Manzarek, John Densmore and Robby Krieger discuss how their music was influenced by the country's sociopolitical climate, and the programme also features archive performances and analysis of the original multi-track recording tapes by producer Bruce Botnick

Tonight we're gonna party like it's 1979!

Tonight we're gonna party like it's 1979!

The BBC Club in TV Centre sounds like the place to have been.

Alan Partridge has some great anecdotes about the place, mainly involving Sue Cook.

GERTCHA!!

I quite like the TOTP compilations, more quality and less filler.

Why do they always seem to focus on the years '77 to '79?

Time for TOTP 1985!

Why do they always seem to focus on the years '77 to '79?

Time for TOTP 1985!

Good point, I can't wait to see the ones I watched originally (as per my TOTP memories post!)

Good point, I can't wait to see the ones I watched originally (as per my TOTP memories post!)

The Beeb probably lost all the footage when they cleared out of Television Centre. Or binned to make space for all the Gary Barlow footage...Hiyo!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement