Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Photo Thread.

Comments

The North Kerry was some experience. :D
    I have a personal interest in it, having lived near Listowel for 10 years. I lived west of the town and the level crossings at Gortnaminch and Killocrim. The bridge over the River Feale was a spot I'd frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 duffmckegean

Karsini wrote: »
    I have a personal interest in it, having lived near Listowel for 10 years. I lived west of the town and the level crossings at Gortnaminch and Killocrim. The bridge over the River Feale was a spot I'd frequent.

As another native to the area, i can vouch for that.
    It's a tough line to get pictures of though, especially in the Listowel- Newcastlewest run.
    Anything in your collection JD?!

As another native to the area, i can vouch for that.
    It's a tough line to get pictures of though, especially in the Listowel- Newcastlewest run.
    Anything in your collection JD?!

I once saw a photo of the Feale bridge with trackwork and signalling intact. There was a distant signal on the Ennismore side of the bridge, probably for the LC at Cuckoo Lane/Killocrim.

Maybe JD can uncover some but in the meantime I'll share what little I have. None are mine of course, I'm just a nipper, but putting them here for posterity. I'll give credit to the original photographer if they come forward. :)

B107 in Newcastle West
    171597.jpg

The next four are of Listowel station. The last was taken in 1988 very shortly before the track was lifted. This was taken from http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/listowell/index.shtml
    171598.jpg

171599.jpg

171600.jpg

171601.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

vmrv39.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,458 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the rarely photod F class

171927.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Taken sometime over winter 1986/1987 according to my archaic indexing system on the back of the photos. North Wall Yard or thereabouts.

Those of a sensitive disposition should probably sit down before looking at the photo.

z

p.s. apologies for the size - I though it was in the region of 800*560 but it's coming out pretty small on screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Two old pictures of Carlow Station from 1963 Station_1963.jpgCarlow_Railway_2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Couple of more here from more than a quarter of a century ago! A spot of shunting at the GSRPS depot in Mallow in December 1984. No.90 has just been brought across the mainline and is on her way to the loco shed. 019 brings back two carriages to the depot, an unidentified side corridor and Bredin 1327/603a, nearest the loco, (now the tearoom at Moyasta Junction) - how time flies when you're enjoying yourself. :rolleyes:

ninety001.jpg

ninety003.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

When I first encountered Mallow in about 1979 it was a gem of a place. Its a pale shadow now of what it was..as with all railways mores the pity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

072 at Howth Junction yesterday around 14.30 on the up Tara. I had just got off the Dart from Howth and could hear the distinctive GM rumble in the distance. Charging across the footbridge and down the myriad of steps to the first landing overlooking Platform 3, fumbling with the camera and clicking just in time. :(:D

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10496

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10497

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

IMG1477.jpg

I have added a bunch more to my smugmug account here.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Merbhp

Karsini wrote: »
    I once saw a photo of the Feale bridge with trackwork and signalling intact. There was a distant signal on the Ennismore side of the bridge, probably for the LC at Cuckoo Lane/Killocrim.

Maybe JD can uncover some but in the meantime I'll share what little I have. None are mine of course, I'm just a nipper, but putting them here for posterity. I'll give credit to the original photographer if they come forward. :)

B107 in Newcastle West

The next four are of Listowel station. The last was taken in 1988 very shortly before the track was lifted. This was taken from http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/listowell/index.shtml

171600.jpg

Thanks for all these photos...

According to Wikipedia - "The footbridge at Clonsilla was originally located at the former railway station in Listowel, County Kerry but was relocated after the North Kerry line was abandoned in 1988" Clonsilla below...(looks like they added a bit on)

173357.jpg

Incidently, construction of a new footbridge at Clonsilla Train Station is now underway & will consist of the construction of a new footbridge with a full accessibility compliant stairs, lifts, fencing and associated site works” (but no charm)

Yep, that's correct. The bridge at Ashtown was taken from a station on the Youghal line, can't remember which one.

Taken earlier today, a Class 29000 Commuter between Skerries and Balbriggan.

picture.php?albumid=1836&pictureid=10582

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Merbhp wrote: »
    Incidently, construction of a new footbridge at Clonsilla Train Station is now underway & will consist of the construction of a new footbridge with a full accessibility compliant stairs, lifts, fencing and associated site works” (but no charm)

I don't think it will replace the current one though, it's going in at the west end of the station(where a new platform and pedestrian entrance+bridge across the canal are going too).

Class 2800 DMU - pic taken between Balbriggan and Skerries earlier today.

picture.php?albumid=1836&pictureid=10586

29K & 22K Maynooth

173704.JPG

Map of Ireland's Railways 1887

173705.jpg

Athlone Line Platform in Mullingar Station...(taken June 2009)

173706.JPG

Merbhp wrote: »
    Athlone Line Platform in Mullingar Station...(taken June 2009)

Maintained to the highest standards of Iarnrod Eireann. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

If they maintained it to the level of an open station like the current Mullingar station the same people would complain that they're wasting money on lines that are making no money. Can't win.

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    If they maintained it to the level of an open station like the current Mullingar station the same people would complain that they're wasting money on lines that are making no money. Can't win.

Barry - it is part of Mullingar Station and, as far as I know, has listed building status for all the good that is. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Today at Kilkenny. I also took some video which I will edit and put together and upload later next week.

rVaC4.jpg

a5I1P.jpgFSlCc.jpgTcoD2.jpg96mp8.jpgBG1ne.jpgE1o22.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I wasn't going to post this photo due to quality but I thought it was interesting. Old vs New :D

kHVBy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Gotta say that the 132-year-old J15-class looks more alive than the Rotem upstart.

CIE wrote: »
    Gotta say that the 132-year-old J15-class looks more alive than the Rotem upstart.

Maybe- but as a passenger I know which one I would prefer to travel with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    Maybe- but as a passenger I know which one I would prefer to travel with
    Oh? You sure about that? The 186 would work just as well pulling Mark 3s and 4s too, you know, even with HEP versus steam heating. (Oh yeah; no more Mark 3s.) The motive power is independent of the type of cars pulled. And you don't have to listen to those under-floor motors that aren't there; nice and quiet, especially if you're in the rear cars. (I'm a passenger too, you see.) Now maybe if you were in the engine cab, it'd be a different story.

Oh? You sure about that? The 186 would work just as well pulling Mark 3s and 4s too, you know
    Yeah, because it could totally haul those carriages just as fast as a 201 can down the Cork mainline, at up to 100mph. It could make it all the way to Thurles or Limerick Junction nonstop without needing to stop for water. The MkIV control cab would be completely compatible with 186's complicated steam controls. It can deal with the reversing at Killarney and Kilkenny faster and just as safely as a 22000. Sure, we never should have got rid of it! It's great to have to keep two fuel supply lines open- coal for the loco and diesel for the carriages' vans- and having to keep water towers operational across the country.

Most passengers prefer 22000s over the older hauled carriages. They are bright, comfortable, air conditioned carriages with power sockets at every seat, they are more accessible to the mobility impaired and those with prams and such. Our good friend foggy_lad, the most well traveled man in Ireland, prefers them. In the event of a crash, you will have a much better chance of survival than you would in a Craven or even a MkIII. I love a good steam excursion as much as the next anorak but these locomotives and carriages are in the past for a reason. Technology is constantly advancing.

I agree that some MkIIIs should have been retained as a backup, but the money is spent now and we have a great fleet of intercity trains in sufficient numbers to serve the entire country once they all arrive- all we need now is an operator who can make maximum use out of them.
    Now maybe if you were in the engine cab, it'd be a different story.
    Nice subtle dig that since I don't agree with you, I must be an IE employee.:rolleyes:

Please - this is a photo thread :)

• Advertisement

Ok here's some photos then from around Clonsilla

soBZv.jpg
    cqEUo.jpg

Advertisement