Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 3, Episode 7: A Measure Of Salvation [SPOILERS]

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Think about this alternative History scenario then. WWII. The Americans have enough enriched uranium to build a load of A bombs (I know they only had enough for 2 in reality). They offer the Jewish people all the bombs to do with as they please. Would the Jewish people be justified in Vapourising every man, woman and child in Germany to defend themselves from Hitler, the SS and the Holocaust.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I enjoyed this one too and the dubious ethics employed by Adama and particularly Roslin, who seemed unrepentent for her choices. Their adoption of "them or us" is an interesting area to explore, the sort of morality that was never touched upon in the likes of Star Trek (with the notable exception of DS9 and the Changelings.. but since that was Ronald D. Moore as well...).

I actually understand Healio's decision. I don't think he betrayed humanity. Far from it, the compassion he showed and disgust are evidence for his humanity. It makes sense for him to make it too, given his links to Athena - if anyone can understand that not all Cylons are bad...
    As to the security measures, Healio I assume has a great deal of leeway given his position by Adama's side. I imagine this enabled him to circumvent some safety measures. Nonetheless, I'd like to see some reprecussions for his actions given that this is the BSG universe (Roslin seemed less than pleased with Adama wavering on holding an inquiry).

Baltar was great as usual, glorious self-serving weasel that he is. Love the score for his scenes on the BaseStar: the show really knows how to add atmosphere.

Still an amazing season, for my money and easily the most adult sci-fi there is ("Torchood", as much as I enjoy it, could cast an eye to this show if it really wants to claim to be more "adult").

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Someone in another thread was saying that bsg dumbs itself down but id have to agree that it is very adult and very VERY enjoyable.

I have the 1st 2 episodes of torchwood and haven't watched them but you do have good taste in shows/movies ixoy so ill give it a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

One thing that annoyed me about this ep was that when the vipers were launched and engaged the cylons... where was Apollo? About to put a bullet in a couple of cylons.

Serious, this guy used to be the CAG ffs.... he should be out there popping cylons off not back on galactica doing monkey work... They have marines just for this reason... Just struck me as silly.

an important job needs the attention of a important person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Peace wrote:
    One thing that annoyed me about this ep was that when the vipers were launched and engaged the cylons... where was Apollo? About to put a bullet in a couple of cylons.

Serious, this guy used to be the CAG ffs.... he should be out there popping cylons off not back on galactica doing monkey work... They have marines just for this reason... Just struck me as silly.
    RDM's podcast mentions that Apollo leading the marines was going to be something they developed over the course of this season, but they changed their minds. Aparently his role in this episode was thought / written when they still had that in mind and they decided to just leave it like that.

Sort of glad they decided against going full hog with the marines storyline, but they really do need to find something for Apollo to do this season. He was commander of the Pegasus about four episodes ago, and now he's.. I dunno what.

He is the CAG even tho 2 pilots are better than him, Starbuck and Cat
    There will have to be another contest between starbuck and cat to see who can waste more toasters and handle more drink

Apollio.... he can emm be the presidents personal guard...... oh no wait he kinda did that didnt he.
    He could take starbucks old job of training new recruits?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

He could release a fitness video. Maybe be a personal trainer. He's done so well for himself...:)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Mordeth wrote:
    sheesh.. whole lot of people here wouldn't object to the holocaust either then?

genocide is genocide people, helo did the right thing for all the right reasons.
    To be fair, the jews weren't hunting the germans to extinction...

I'd have been with the President. Its a fight to the death and the cylons haven't made any real attempt to negotiate (beyond enslavement). Its us or them and I'd choose us. They are forcing a genocide, we're choosing who.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Adama wasn't on the planet when it was under Cylon occupation, I think this is why he wasn't as enthusiastic as Roslin about wiping them out and also why he ultimitly let Roslin make the call.

Personally though, I'd side with Adama; genocide is always wrong. It's been shown that Cylons are more than just machines (if this were Star Trek they'd have been given full rights as sentiant beings by now) and are capable of making personal choices and decisions -- simply wipe that out and who knows what you've lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Haruspex

Thought this episode harks back to a key moment during the second season when Adama states that it's not enough to just survive, one must be worthy of survival. Had their plan succeeded what would be the main differentiator between the Cylon's destruction of the 12 Colonies and the Colonials' infecting them with the fatal virus? Two wrongs don't make a right.

On this one, Roslin never surprises me in her steely nerve and cold calculation - she was obviously still quite raw from her experiences on New Caprica under occupation given her curt dismissal of Helo's concerns.

Still this episode did feel a bit rushed in the end and maybe could have done with another part. The virus (I presume) is still a threat and can surely become a bargaining chip for the fleet. Maybe a Cold War like scenario could develop?

Glad to see Doc Cottle survived the exodus. Am I right in thinking this was his first appearance since we last saw him on New Caprica?

It was his first appearance, actually maybe he was in episode 5 collaborators

Roslin is brilliant cold and not at the same time - Tigh said it best
    "sometime i think you've got ice water in those veins and other times i think your just a naive little school teacher"
    Ill never forget when she turned to Adama and said "we have to kill her" talking about Admiral Kane

They will continue with showing all how all the characters have changed because the occupation

I think that is more less it for the virus tho. Im guessing they kept tissue samples from the dead cylons or maybe they will bluff that they have it or Athena will threaten to infect and kill herself to get them out of a sticky situation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

User45701 wrote:
    Im guessing they kept tissue samples from the dead cylons or maybe they will bluff that they have it or Athena will threaten to infect and kill herself to get them out of a sticky situation
    Athena is immune.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

User45701 wrote:
    ....Ill never forget when she turned to Adama and said "we have to kill her" talking about Admiral Kane...
    Great moment, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Roslin...gods help me, but I do love that woman :D

Athena is immune.

Yes but if she infected herself then killed herself straight away before her antibody's had a chance to completely destroy the infection then she could resurrect and infect the rest of the cylons, only problem is the self destruct might go off on the resurrection ship and destroy her, or maybe the cylons would destroy the resurrection ship themselves when they realise what was going on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

sheesh.. whole lot of people here wouldn't object to the holocaust either then?

genocide is genocide people, helo did the right thing for all the right reasons.

They are frakking toasters man!

No investigations by Adama WTF?

Helo and his toaster need to get vented out a frakking airlock!

Advertisement