Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starbucks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,813 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know in kilkenny BB's closed and Starbuck's opened in the same unit in the Shopping centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

ongarboy wrote: »
    Not sure if this is just a rumour but someone posted on Twitter this week that 2 more Starbucks are opening in Cork, one in Mahon Point (in the shopping centre itself) in the next two weeks and Douglas shortly after. The poster seemed fairly certain about it. Anyone else hear about these openings?

Looks like the one in Mahon Point is definitely going ahead - the store locator on the Starbucks site is showing one in Citygate and another on the first floor (kiosk 7) of Mahon Point Shopping Centre http://www.starbucks.ie/store/1010436/ie/mahon-point/first-floor-kiosk-7-mahon-point-sc-cork-c-1

I heard some talk about Douglas today as well and they were saying the Village Shopping Centre but no mention of which unit. Going to be quite busy with coffee shops in there if its true with Gloria Jeans, Quigleys, Puccinos, and M&S. And you could probably group O'Briens with that lot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

JohnK wrote: »
    Looks like the one in Mahon Point is definitely going ahead - the store locator on the Starbucks site is showing one in Citygate and another on the first floor (kiosk 7) of Mahon Point Shopping Centre http://www.starbucks.ie/store/1010436/ie/mahon-point/first-floor-kiosk-7-mahon-point-sc-cork-c-1

I heard some talk about Douglas today as well and they were saying the Village Shopping Centre but no mention of which unit. Going to be quite busy with coffee shops in there if its true with Gloria Jeans, Quigleys, Puccinos, and M&S. And you could probably group O'Briens with that lot too.

The area in Mahon Point is now boarded off with a 'Starbucks' coming soon poster on it. Amazed that BBs would let a competitor in an any cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Andip wrote: »
    The area in Mahon Point is now boarded off with a 'Starbucks' coming soon poster on it. Amazed that BBs would let a competitor in an any cost

??

BBs is just a tenant in a massive development. They couldn't stop a competitor coming in, even if they wanted to.

Roar wrote: »
    ??

BBs is just a tenant in a massive development. They couldn't stop a competitor coming in, even if they wanted to.

Yes I appreciate they are only a tenant, BUT, the exact location that Starbucks are going into was a BBs up until a few weeks ago & one that had fairly recently been revamped.

Whether BBs didnt renew the lease or closed it for financial reasons, my point is that they surely must have know the risk that someone such as Starbucks would jump at the opportunity.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Ballincollig was rumoured too for one

Would love to see one out here, I doubt it will happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

surprised there isn't one in Patricks St

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Is it worth mentioning that their coffee is mucky and nasty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

mire wrote: »
    Is it worth mentioning that their coffee is mucky and nasty?

Most humans love a good popular brand name, regardless of the quality of the product.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Whats so great about starbucks? Just another coffee shop I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

farmerjj wrote: »

They have eggnog lattes. 600kcal of christmassy goodness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

farmerjj wrote: »
    no, its another coffee shop that charges double the price for writing your name wrongly on a paper cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭kaerobe

no, its another coffee shop that charges double the price for writing your name wrongly on a paper cup.

Not much complaining when a new costa or gloria jeans opens up. People like to shop around, starbucks is a big name. Let them be happy that one is coming. For most people who dont live near a starbucks (or any big chain like McDonalds) its often one of their port of calls when visiting somewhere that does have one (bigger towns, airports, cities etc). Stop moaning. New jobs, another vacant spot filled. All round good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Their coffee is overrated but I do love their Chai Tea Lattes :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭peteroregan

On a totally different note. Please advise me on somewhere to get a good coffee today, not in the city centre please, somewhere along the lines of filter in the city or montys in midelton.
    I wanted to go there but they're not answering their phone so I'm guessing they're closed on Sundays.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

a friend of mine used to lift the mugs out of starbucks years ago. his rationale was he was paying enough for the cofee. his cubboard was full of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BobCobb

I just saw on their sign that the Toy Soldier Factory (Prince August), in Kilnamartra, off the Cork-Killarney road, serve Starbucks coffee too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

kaerobe wrote: »
    Not much complaining when a new costa or gloria jeans opens up. People like to shop around, starbucks is a big name. Let them be happy that one is coming. For most people who dont live near a starbucks (or any big chain like McDonalds) its often one of their port of calls when visiting somewhere that does have one (bigger towns, airports, cities etc). Stop moaning. New jobs, another vacant spot filled. All round good news.

And little or no tax paid to this or any state. Starbucks are notorious on this front. Moan away. Encouraging such tax bums is shortsighted,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

feargale wrote: »
    And little or no tax paid to this or any state. Starbucks are notorious on this front. Moan away. Encouraging such tax bums is shortsighted,

The employees are paying PAYE, USC, PRSI instead of claiming the dole though.

Corporation tax here is a token pittance, with plenty of ways of avoiding it. That's kinda the point, to bring employers in, and then have the employees pay boatloads of tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

pwurple wrote: »
    The employees are paying PAYE, USC, PRSI instead of claiming the dole though.

Corporation tax here is a token pittance, with plenty of ways of avoiding it. That's kinda the point, to bring employers in, and then have the employees pay boatloads of tax.

A fair point if the business wouldn't exist without the multinational company being there.
    A good example of this would be Apple - they're not taking business from local computer manufacturers.
    The likes of Starbucks don't really create new business - they compete for existing business.
    Yes, their staff will pay local taxes and they will generate VAT - just like a local company.
    But the local company's profits will remain in the county - adding to local business and paying correct corporation tax.

I'm not saying foreign companies shouldn't be allowed to set up here but wherever a local company can provide a similar product - it is always favourable for the local economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I know what you mean, but there seems to be no end to the amount of coffee people will drink! Are coffee shops closing around here because a starbucks opened? Are we in the plot of that Meg Ryan film "You've got Mail"?

I read an article years ago about the differences in business thinking between east and west... something along the lines of if an eastern business person sees a shoe shop doing well on a street, he'll open a shoe shop on the same street, because there's obviously a market, and if they can do well, why not me. Whereas western business people tend to think more along the lines of... that demand is being taken care of with that shop, so I need to open something different entirely.

Existing coffee business is not finite, it seems to be growing. The more the merrier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

pwurple wrote: »
    I know what you mean, but there seems to be no end to the amount of coffee people will drink! Are coffee shops closing around here because a starbucks opened? Are we in the plot of that Meg Ryan film "You've got Mail"?

I read an article years ago about the differences in business thinking between east and west... something along the lines of if an eastern business person sees a shoe shop doing well on a street, he'll open a shoe shop on the same street, because there's obviously a market, and if they can do well, why not me. Whereas western business people tend to think more along the lines of... that demand is being taken care of with that shop, so I need to open something different entirely.

Existing coffee business is not finite, it seems to be growing. The more the merrier!

In the case of Starbucks, they have a reputation - whether deserved or not - of deliberately saturating the market in order to crowd out the existing cafes, then shutting down the extra stores once the competition is gone.

Personally I don't large chains and prefer smaller, more diverse and locally owned stores; but I guess variety is good.

who_me wrote: »
    In the case of Starbucks, they have a reputation - whether deserved or not - of deliberately saturating the market in order to crowd out the existing cafes, then shutting down the extra stores once the competition is gone.

Personally I don't large chains and prefer smaller, more diverse and locally owned stores; but I guess variety is good.

I get that point, but how many Costas (MQ, Douglas, Blackpool, Opera House) or Gloria Jeans (Savoy, Douglas, Patricks St) are there in Cork City? People complain when we currently have 1 Starbucks? No one complains when these other MASSIVE companies open another branch. Cork has lots of great coffee places, like ORSO, Roasters, The Bookshelf. Starbucks is just another place to go when the urge calls. Its not for everyone but it adds to choice. More jobs too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

The starbucks in mahon is extremely handy if you're meeting someone after 6 o'clock, with it being open till 10pm everyday. And once you don't get the frappaccino's and all those other sugary drinks with coffee, the coffee isnt that bad.

kaerobe wrote: »
    I get that point, but how many Costas (MQ, Douglas, Blackpool, Opera House) or Gloria Jeans (Savoy, Douglas, Patricks St) are there in Cork City? People complain when we currently have 1 Starbucks? No one complains when these other MASSIVE companies open another branch. Cork has lots of great coffee places, like ORSO, Roasters, The Bookshelf. Starbucks is just another place to go when the urge calls. Its not for everyone but it adds to choice. More jobs too.

Couldn't agree more - it's all about choice, my personal choice is that I actually prefer Starbucks because I like their coffee and that's my own personal opinion. Tesco sell umpteen brands of instant coffee because people have a personal preference between brands.

If a new clothing store opens in Mahon, I don't see people complaining, quite the opposite, so why are people up in arms about a new coffee shop ?

As for the tax hoo haa, it provides jobs & I wouldn't mind betting that many of those who complain about tax evasion are viewing on Apple products

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

calnand wrote: »
    The starbucks in mahon is extremely handy if you're meeting someone after 6 o'clock, with it being open till 10pm everyday. And once you don't get the frappaccino's and all those other sugary drinks with coffee, the coffee isnt that bad.

you can spot all the 1st dates in there too :)
    a one in patricks st/ grande parade would make a fortune.... as for those complaining about starbucks, how many of the existing coffee shops in town stay open late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

If a new clothing store opens in Mahon, I don't see people complaining, quite the opposite, so why are people up in arms about a new coffee shop ?

It's not anti coffee shops. It's just that it's trendy for a lot of people to be anti-capitalism which is why Starbucks, McDonalds and the usual suspects get the backlash. 50 other individual coffee shops could open and they probably wouldn't warrant a mention here on Boards.

If KFC or McDonalds want to open, everyone goes mad about citing obesity concerns but if Johnny O'Brien wants to open an independent chipper or bakery selling far more calorific food, no-one bats an eyelid!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Couldn't agree more - it's all about choice, my personal choice is that I actually prefer Starbucks because I like their coffee and that's my own personal opinion. Tesco sell umpteen brands of instant coffee because people have a personal preference between brands.

As for the tax hoo haa, it provides jobs & I wouldn't mind betting that many of those who complain about tax evasion are viewing on Apple products

In Starbucks case, they are pretty infamous for their use of 'zero hour contracts'. Employees only get a minimum number of hours week with no benefits or sick pay holiday pay etc. Also a majority of the workers will be doing no more than 15 to 20 hours at minimum wage, which means they will pay no income tax and also claim SW allowance for days they aren't working. So the argument that taxes paid by workers negates the lack of corporation tax doesn't really hold water.

They're open in Mahon Point now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,498 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JohnK wrote: »
    They're open in Mahon Point now

In the SC or Retail Park?

I doubt it's the shopping centre, was only there Sunday and everything was still in boxes.

In the shopping centre, where BB's used to be by the entrance to Tescos.

329676.jpg

I doubt it's the shopping centre, was only there Sunday and everything was still in boxes.

Starbucks in Mahon Point was open today, interesting to see if BB's gets less busy. Last few times I've tried to get a table at BB's since they been down to the one outlet I've given up and gone to the other coffee shop downstairs.

Ok that has to be the fastest fit out of a shop in have ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,446 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Ok that has to be the fastest fit out of a shop in have ever seen.

very little to do really, the plumbing etc would already have been in place, just throw up some partitions etc. A days work...boss :)

Starbucks in Mahon Point was open today, interesting to see if BB's gets less busy. Last few times I've tried to get a table at BB's since they been down to the one outlet I've given up and gone to the other coffee shop downstairs.

It's good for the place, the quality of the coffee in the shopping centre was poor apart from the smoothie place which serves Cork Coffee Roasters coffee.
    Places like BBs and O'Brien's could do with a kick up the arse anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

It's good for the place, the quality of the coffee in the shopping centre was poor apart from the smoothie place which serves Cork Coffee Roasters coffee.
    Places like BBs and O'Brien's could do with a kick up the arse anyway.

Very true, it was getting to the stage that the smoothie place and the bagel factory were the best coffees in the whole centre.
    I actually don't know how people can describe BB's beverages as coffee it is absolutely putrid and their muffins taste like baking soda.
    Might take a spin up later for venti white chocolate mocha, extra hot, extra shot no whip and a cinnamon swirl!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

In Starbucks case, they are pretty infamous for their use of 'zero hour contracts'. Employees only get a minimum number of hours week with no benefits or sick pay holiday pay etc. Also a majority of the workers will be doing no more than 15 to 20 hours at minimum wage, which means they will pay no income tax and also claim SW allowance for days they aren't working. So the argument that taxes paid by workers negates the lack of corporation tax doesn't really hold water.
    In reality zero hours contracts do not happen as you have to be paid for a minimum of 15 hours per week. So the law in Ireland does not allow for zero hours contracts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

rebs23 wrote: »
    In reality zero hours contracts do not happen as you have to be paid for a minimum of 15 hours per week. So the law in Ireland does not allow for zero hours contracts.

I'm afraid you are very much incorrect there. There is no obligation on an employer in Ireland to pay you for a minimum of 15 hours or indeed any amount of hours per week.

Zero hour contracts are actually common in lower paid jobs in Ireland, you are just out of touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

FrStone wrote: »
    I'm afraid you are very much incorrect there. There is no obligation on an employer in Ireland to pay you for a minimum of 15 hours or indeed any amount of hours per week.

Zero hour contracts are actually common in lower paid jobs in Ireland, you are just out of touch.

Not exactly right either.....

A zero-hours contract of employment is a type of employment contract where the employee is available for work but does not have specified hours of work. If you have a zero-hours contract this means there is a formal arrangement that you are required to be available for a certain number of hours per week, or when required, or a combination of both. Employees on zero-hours contracts are protected by the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997 but this does not apply to casual employment.

The Act requires that an employee under a zero-hours contract who works less than 25% of their hours in any week should be compensated. The level of compensation depends on whether the employee got any work or none at all. If the employee got no work, then the compensation should be either for 25% of the possible available hours or for 15 hours, whichever is less. If the employee got some work, they should be compensated to bring them up to 25% of the possible available hours.

For example, if you are required to be available for 20 hours per week, but you got no work, you would be entitled to be compensated for 15 hours or 25% of the 20 hours (that is, 5 hours), whichever is the less. In this case, 5 hours is the lesser amount. If, on the other hand, you got 3 hours' work out of the 20, you would be entitled to be compensated by 2 hours to bring you up to 25% of the contract hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

About 2 years ago I was offered a job in Claires and it was a 4 hr contract, so there are really bad contracts out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Starbucks confirms that it's opening it's first city centre outlet in Princes Street next to Rocketman cafe. No longer a need to trek out to Mahon!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/property/commercial/starbucks-to-open-first-cork-city-centre-store-305727.html

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

ongarboy wrote: »
    Starbucks confirms that it's opening it's first city centre outlet in Princes Street next to Rocketman cafe. No longer a need to trek out to Mahon!

Going to Mahon is a bad enough and disspiriting experience a the best of times. Going there and drinking crap quality coffee sounds like hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭.red.

mire wrote: »

Going to Mahon is a bad enough and disspiriting experience a the best of times. Going there and drinking crap quality coffee sounds like hell.

Ha ha. Starbucks to the adults is what Mc Donalds is to the kids.
    Marketing at its finest.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

.red. wrote: »
    Ha ha. Starbucks to the adults is what Mc Donalds is to the kids.
    Marketing at its finest.

It's genius really, wouldn't mind working in marketing and laughing with all my colleagues at the sheep influenced by our work, ideally working for a company like Beats by Dre where idiots pay 1000% markup for inferior products, it'd be brilliant!

It's genius really, wouldn't mind working in marketing and laughing with all my colleagues at the sheep influenced by our work, ideally working for a company like Beats by Dre where idiots pay 1000% markup for inferior products, it'd be brilliant!

I know...how do they do it?? It looks so easy, I want in on that too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I hope they don't ruin the English Market when they open access from the church and the Capitol. It's just perfect the way it is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

interesting, you would think they choose a more centered or bigger location....good to see more jobs might be created through this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

celica00 wrote: »
    interesting, you would think they choose a more centered or bigger location....good to see more jobs might be created through this

In the US they are on every corner in a lot of cities. If they get the trade through the door this will be the first of many. They'll seek out places next to popular coffee shops to squeeze them out too. That will be a pity if it materialises.

• Advertisement
Advertisement