Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That "fit into pair of jeans" pic on Special K TV ads is terrible!

Options
  • 05-01-2010 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭

Sorry it has to be said. Im no woman (i dont care what anyone says!) but i wouldnt be buying that cereal with the "ideal image" being thus :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

All hail before Special K

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Sorry it has to be said. Im no woman (i dont care what anyone says!)
    Well if everyone says you're a woman then I'd say that you probably are.It's easy enough to check anyway,when was the last time you washed the dishes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

I think it's funny that they manage to turn her arse into a heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Unfortunately there are enough image obsessed females out there who will buy the product with the intention of losing a jean size. The same women justify the sales of Cosmo magazine and other such image obsessed rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

'Heart Shaped Box'. Nirvana were so close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Milky Moo

I wouldn't mind but Kellogs brand it the diet cereal when Branflakes have less calories!
    What the fudge!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

Milky Moo wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind but Kellogs brand it the diet cereal when Branflakes have less calories!
    What the fudge!?!

Special K tastes better!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Milky Moo

seahorse wrote: »
    Special K tastes better!

I love me some Branflakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

seahorse wrote: »
    Special K tastes better!

lies :p

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭half pint

For it to work properly and actually drop a jeans size you are ment to eat a 30g bowl for breakfast and lunch and then a low calorie dinner..

McDonalds anyone??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_K
    Although marketed primarily as a dieting aid Special K does, in fact, contain more calories and 60% more fat than Kelloggs Corn Flakes.

...and, more worryingly...
    The country of Denmark has outlawed Kellogg's products since 2004. Danish health officials banned the cereal because, as they claimed, Kellogg's wanted to add extremely high levels of vitamin B6, calcium, folic acid and iron, which would reach toxic levels when eaten on a daily basis. Young children risk liver and kidney damage, while the foeteses of pregnant women can suffer complications from the toxins.

The Dutch television show Keuringsdienst van Waarde, in an episode aired on 15 October 2009 in the Netherlands, followed up one of Kellogg's Special K nutrional claims, namely the addition of iron. The show provided evidence that the iron was not nutritional ionic iron - as it occurs in natural foods like spinach - but was in fact metallic iron.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Special K and Bran Flakes are full of sugar.
    In 1978 Kellogg’s Special K had 9.6g of sugar per 100g, but this has now nearly doubled to 17g — a similar level to vanilla ice-cream.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1752342.ece

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Unfortunately there are enough image obsessed females out there who will buy the product with the intention of losing a jean size. The same women justify the sales of Cosmo magazine and other such image obsessed rubbish.

Thats very sinical. A lot of people out there do care about being healthy. I am not saying they should be eating special K but its wrong to say that all people who are interested in being healthy and slim are just image obsessed. I know a lot of men and women that work very hard at staying fit and healthy, its not something you are born with. A small minority of lazy people out there are far to quick to label healthy people with being self obsessed. Its more in my opinion to do with long and healthy lives for themselves and their families.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not sure now, but the last time I checked the small cereal boxes you get in the variety pack the Special K box had more Calories than the Corn Flakes one.

Oh and speaking of sugar , one thing that really sickens me is sugar in peanut butter :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Post pics.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I don't go with the image obsessed thing, lifestyle related illness are the leading killers in Ireland with 40% of all deaths being from cardiovascular deseases, 80% of these deaths could have been avoided if risk factors were eliminated. 2,000 deaths a year are related to obesity. €4 billion per year is spent by the government on lifestyle related illnesses. This is why some people are health conscious.

To me image conscience is when people wear sunglasses into a nightclub and that kind of crap not trying to look after your physical well being.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Bugnug wrote: »
    Thats very sinical. A lot of people out there do care about being healthy. I am not saying they should be eating special K but its wrong to say that all people who are interested in being healthy and slim are just image obsessed. I know a lot of men and women that work very hard at staying fit and healthy, its not something you are born with. A small minority of lazy people out there are far to quick to label healthy people with being self obsessed. Its more in my opinion to do with long and healthy lives for themselves and their families.

You mean cynical I presume?

No it's not. If these women were interested in their health they would not rely on a cereal packed full of additives to compensate for a healthy meal in order to drop a jean size quickly. If they were interested in fitness and health they'd be eating home cooked, balanced meals and exercising regularly in order to achieve and maintain a healthy weight. Not relying on a breakfast cereal to replace a meal in order to look slim in a matter of weeks.

Also, your reference to lazy people being to quick to label these women as image obsessed.. you better not have been implying I'm lazy, if so I'd recommend you reread my post because you do not seem to have grasped anything I was saying.

Nowhere in the post did I say that it was wrong to want to be healthy and slim. It is wrong to rely on an additive filled meal substitution to drop a jean size.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Obviously if all you eat is feckin cereal you'll lose weight. Those ads are so dumb

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

No it's not. If these women were interested in their health they would not rely on a cereal packed full of additives to compensate for a healthy meal in order to drop a jean size quickly. If they were interested in fitness and health they'd be eating home cooked, balanced meals and exercising regularly in order to achieve and maintain a healthy weight. Not relying on a breakfast cereal to replace a meal in order to look slim in a matter of weeks.

Also, your reference to lazy people being to quick to label these women as image obsessed.. you better not have been implying I'm lazy, if so I'd recommend you reread my post because you do not seem to have grasped anything I was saying.

Nowhere in the post did I say that it was wrong to want to be healthy and slim. It is wrong to rely on an additive filled meal substitution to drop a jean size.

To make it a tl;dr,

Healthy eating and redular exercise, FTW?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

half pint wrote: »
    For it to work properly and actually drop a jeans size you are ment to eat a 30g bowl for breakfast and lunch and then a low calorie dinner..

And I'm sure it has to be semi-skimmed lo fat milk with the cereal and the dinner is grilled chicken with steamed veg. It's such a fad diet, once you start eating normally after the two weeks your going to gain the jean size again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Maybe it's both- the women are conscious that being over weight is very unhealthy and want to change that but they're ignorant of how unhealthy and lacking in nutrition Special K is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Piste wrote: »
    Maybe it's both- the women are conscious that being over weight is very unhealthy and want to change that but they're ignorant of how unhealthy and lacking in nutrition Special K is.

Fairly sure that's exactly what MizzLolly is saying, that the extent of their wanting to be slim and healthy is believing an advert on television rather than doing a tiny bit of research.
    If there was a similar campaign aimed at men consisting of eating red meat I'm sure it would be just as successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I think the girl is cute in that ad.

Promoting Ketamine use in order to conform to patriarchal notions of body shape is wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

stovelid wrote: »
    I think the girl is cute in that ad.

Promoting Ketamine use in order to conform to patriarchal notions of body shape is wrong though.

Your right its probably better to stick to speed than ketamine for weight loss anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I find it hard to believe that anyone who has ever been on a diet believes that there is a quick way to lose weight. If eating Special K twice a day really worked none of us would be fat. And the weird thing is it would actually be easier to lose weight and maintain that loss by sticking to a fairly healthy eating and exercise regime that starving on the Special K diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I can't believe people eat Special K as some sort of health food.. it's pure carbohydrate like, it has the same amount of calories as Coco Pops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Dr_Teeth wrote: »
    I can't believe people eat Special K as some sort of health food.. it's pure carbohydrate like, it has the same amount of calories as Coco Pops!

Is a bowl of porridge any fatter than a bowl of special k?

I don't take anything in the morning and never feel hungry so i force a bowl of porridge into myself every morning.
    Afer its cooked pour in some cold milk to cool it down... it can be eaten in about 2 mins. No food till lunch then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

gerry28 wrote: »
    Is a bowl of porridge any fatter than a bowl of special k?

I don't take anything in the morning and never feel hungry so i force a bowl of porridge into myself every morning.
    Afer its cooked pour in some cold milk to cool it down... it can be eaten in about 2 mins. No food till lunch then.
    Porridge would be far, far better. Lots of complex carbs and a little protein. Its not the fat content you should be worrying about, its all the simple carbs from the sugar.

Read the stickies and post on here if you want more nutrition info: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=982

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I tried a low cal diet thing before. Cereals for breakfast and lunch and try not to have too much for dinner. Was goin to the gym 2 -3 times a week. Works well enough but never felt I had a lot of energy in the gym.

As soon as I inevetably fell off that routine ie. eating proper lunch and not goin to the gym as much, I put on my gut and moobs in less than 2 weeks.

Now I eat what I want, go to the gym when I can and I keep a much more consistent physique. I still have me pudge but I can stay away from the gym for a week and stuff my face with dominos without too much worry.

Diets are crap and generally unhealthy. A good food : Gym ratio is all you need and that's different for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Cheerilee

lost three stone in 6 months eating special K twice a day, granted cut out all additional high calorie foods but it did work.. but it was a combination..and weight stayed off

Advertisement