Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying bitcoins

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

milltown wrote: »
    If memory serves, I had to play around with the Kraken SEPA details to get my online banking to accept it. I ended up with my full account code with Kraken.co stuck on the end, with no spaces, and it worked.

kraken.com or kraken.co?

e: Well when I remove the spaces - I end up with kraken.co as well. So maybe we have the same provider.

Aspiring wrote: »
    I had no issues with Kraken with an AIB account.

well I don't have an account with AIB

lol

and now kraken is unavailable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Local bitcoins is another option but that has its own drawbacks too.
    Are there not regulations applying to Local BTC also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

lawred2 wrote: »
    kraken.com or kraken.co?

e: Well when I remove the spaces - I end up with kraken.co as well. So maybe we have the same provider.

I reckon once it says Kraken and has your account ID you're grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

jobless wrote: »
    ethereum 'classic' is up 100% in 24 hours..... are some people buying up the wrong coin? :)

We are in frenzy territory now. Newbies who havent a clue are going to get burnt. These rises are unsustainable now, each % rise needs nore and more money to enter the system to keep it rising, its getting near the end now.
    After 3 years now of constant buying everyweek I ve now moved all my coins back onto the exchange and am ready to pull the trigger on them.

done a test payment - will see what happens

The Cuban wrote: »
    We are in frenzy territory now. Newbies who havent a clue are going to get burnt. These rises are unsustainable now, each % rise needs nore and more money to enter the system to keep it rising, its getting near the end now.
    After 3 years now of constant buying everyweek I ve now moved all my coins back onto the exchange and am ready to pull the trigger on them.

is it retirement time then?

and coinbase are timing out
    Wait till the sell off begins, then you won`t be able to log onto the exchanges for days, by then the prices will have crashed out

is it retirement time then?
    Nearly, I`m sitting on a celtic tiger Mortgage too but that`ll be history by the end of the month. Then I will use the rest to invest in my own small business

• Advertisement

So are you advising me to steer clear then?

neither coinbase/kraken would fill me with confidence

both unavailable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Nobody knows whether Bit Coin will crash or not. The death of bitcoin has been called hundreds of times before but yet it keeps climbing. I've got a mix of bitcoin and ether and will probably continue to put a little bit in each month. To me its a risky investment - it could be worth $0 or $10,000 (or a lot more) in a few years. Nobody really knows.

My geek side is also fascinated by the technology side of it as well and have used bitcoins to make purchases

gains today alone are bonkers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Nearly, I`m sitting on a celtic tiger Mortgage too but that`ll be history by the end of the month. Then I will use the rest to invest in my own small business

fair play... i wish id got in earlier.... for me bitcoin is a long term investement... > 5-10 years .....

i agree there is definitely a bubble but i think it has a bit to go yet... while the majority will suffer major loses i think bitcoin will stand the test of time....

are worried about the tax man coming after you cashing out?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 greenhorn22

What did or are you planning to do about taxes?

Are there not regulations applying to Local BTC also?

Same as any other method but i guess the sell for cash option is there.

Austria! wrote: »
    how would that work? Do you have to live there a long time? Do you have to be a citizen of Belgium?

You would need to move there. Not sure how long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Roonbox

A Garda wouldnt ask that question :)

• Advertisement

Roonbox wrote: »

Call me Sir or officer pls :)

No its just that i am in a similar boat (a lot less than morgage lvls though) and am trying to find options.

Same as any other method but i guess the sell for cash option is there.

Yes, exactly - they're regulated. You can sell for cash - but it's all recorded.

My offer still stands - if anyone wants to do a peer to peer transaction (me as seller). As regards whether someone should be selling or buying, nobody knows for sure. It's got me spooked - but it has gone up significantly when I was first prepared to sell a few days ago. They say that they never know is something is really a bubble until after the fact ...when the dust has settled.

I'd much prefer to be a long time holder - but the rate of increase is spooking me a bit...i'd be much happier with a slow, steady incremental increase over time....but the world doesn't work that way...

I'd probably be happy to leave a certain level of btc in play - but to deleverage a proportion as I may have too bit a slice in the one item.

I'm still a strong believer in btc - just dislike the current mania.

how long does it normally take for the SEPA payment to arrive in the account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Speculation aside, I'd like to get some (partial) bitcoinage, what is the recommended route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Sniipe wrote: »
    Speculation aside, I'd like to get some (partial) bitcoinage, what is the recommended route?
    I use Coinbase. 4% charge for credit card deposits but no charge on bank transfers which are there the da after transferring in my experience

So are you advising me to steer clear then?
    No, but be carfefull. I wouldnt buy on emotion that I have missed or going to miss something.
    Nobody knows whether Bit Coin will crash or not. The death of bitcoin has been called hundreds of times before but yet it keeps climbing. I've got a mix of bitcoin and ether and will probably continue to put a little bit in each month. To me its a risky investment - it could be worth $0 or $10,000 (or a lot more) in a few years. Nobody really knows.

No I`m not saying Bitcoin is dead, just that the amount of money going into Bitcoin and the alt-coin to get the same % rises is unsustainable. There will be a correction at some point, the downside risk now far outweighs any gains .
    I am holding half to see if it will hit or get close to $3000 but at that point I`m defo out.
    fair play... i wish id got in earlier.... for me bitcoin is a long term investement... > 5-10 years .....

i agree there is definitely a bubble but i think it has a bit to go yet... while the majority will suffer major loses i think bitcoin will stand the test of time....
    are worried about the tax man coming after you cashing out?

No I wont be selling into Fiat I`m putting the money into Tether and holding there till I figure out how to avoid the Tax. I`ve no intension of giving the Government a cent. They are all crooks, the revenue system is setup to favour inherited wealth, the mega rich and big companies. The ordinary guy gets screwed enough every week in Taxes and USC and any other bit of income he gets from investment.

Roonbox wrote: »
    Who said that? Is that you Seanie Fitzpatrick? or the Guy who went to jail for selling Garlic
    :D:D:D

• Advertisement

I use Coinbase. 4% charge for credit card deposits but no charge on bank transfers which are there the da after transferring in my experience

best of luck getting verified today

No I wont be selling into Fiat I`m putting the money into Tether and holding there till I figure out how to avoid the Tax. I`ve no intension of giving the Government a cent. They are all crooks, the revenue system is setup to favour inherited wealth, the mega rich and big companies. The ordinary guy gets screwed enough every week in Taxes and USC and any other bit of income he gets from investment.

Who said that? Is that you Seanie Fitzpatrick? or the Guy who went to jail for selling Garlic

Tether? A tad risky no? As you need to trust the guys holding the peg. I believe they had some issue with the bank that held the cash recently but i could be wrong (hence the price dropped under a $1. If you intend to pay off your mortgage, i dont see anyway out other than entering the system (tax), but if you come up with something, pls throw me a pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

best of luck getting verified today
    Gotcha...
    "Access to www.coinbase.com was denied

You don't have authorization to view this page.
    HTTP ERROR 403"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Sniipe wrote: »
    Gotcha...
    "Access to www.coinbase.com was denied

You don't have authorization to view this page.
    HTTP ERROR 403"
    Seems to be a fairly regular thing with them. The last 3 days they've gone down in the afternoon. Nice simple site when it works though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

No, but be carfefull. I wouldnt buy on emotion that I have missed or going to miss something.

No I`m not saying Bitcoin is dead, just that the amount of money going into Bitcoin and the alt-coin to get the same % rises is unsustainable. There will be a correction at some point, the downside risk now far outweighs any gains .
    I am holding half to see if it will hit or get close to $3000 but at that point I`m defo out.

from reading a little online, it could really rocket if they get segwit implemented.... hard to know...

what the hell is tether btw?....

one option could be to convert to Monero and move it around.... Monero cant be traced apparently :)

• Advertisement

from reading a little online, it could really rocket if they get segwit implemented.... hard to know...
    It could...and maybe the correction then comes after that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Persephone kindness

There is a lot of good and bad hype about Bitcoin. Neither are true. But the people buying are investors people are not using it.

It's not going to die. But it's not a 'living' currency. Or if it is it's much more limited than other currency. Does that make sense? It's not flexible. And that is a cost factor.

I don't think it will die. But it has a lot of draw backs that will show up speculation in it's value for what it is eventually. I don't how much it will change it's value though.

Don't buy hugely unless you want to use it...or unless you REALLY understand bitcoin and what you are doing. More than me anyways :P

@Persephone kindness : Agreed. It's a store of value right now. However, the potential is still there for it to act as a currency. I know people will say - it's a long time coming. That said, look at the movement in the space of a couple of weeks in Japan since it's officially been accepted as a currency. It's expected to be available in 260,000 stores within a couple of months (already activated in 2x major nationwide stores). A japanese low fares airline just started to accept it.

There's 'some' movement towards consensus re. segwit (not there yet but movement in the right direction).

Still think the fundamentals in the long term are great ....but this crazy speculation....it's a bit too manic for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Capitol gains tax applies. first 1200ish tax free and after that 33% on profits when you convert back to fiat or buy something in btc. As far as daily trading on the exchanges, I have no idea how it is handled OR move to Belgium where cgt is 0%.
    33% is the highest in world i belive

As far as I can tell cgt in belgium is 33% too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

how long does it normally take for the SEPA payment to arrive in the account?

Has happened same day a few times but always less than 24 hours so far. I may have been lucky with timing, judging by what I've read about SEPA transfers being done in daily batches by financial institutions.

Austria! wrote: »
    As far as I can tell cgt in belgium is 33% too.

This might be outdated (2015) - https://taxfoundation.org/us-taxpayers-face-6th-highest-top-marginal-capital-gains-tax-rate-oecd/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

My heart is broken trying to access any of these platforms and get through verification. :(
    There will be a continued rise on Bitcoin and Ether over the next few weeks because there are thousands of idiot noobies like me who have drank the kool-aid and will plough in once they can get verified and funding sorted. :D

Blockchain.info - I managed to buy BTC yesterday but now all I get is error messages when trying to buy
    Kraken - No idea how to fund the account on their 1980s interface
    Coinbase is a disaster to access whilst America is awake
    Poloniex is the only thing that works for me - but I was funding that through Blockchain.info :pac:
    Fvck it...I'm off to Vegas to lob it all on Black

Zamboni wrote: »
    My heart is broken trying to access any of these platforms and get through verification. :(
    There will be a continued rise on Bitcoin and Ether over the next few weeks because there are thousands of idiot noobies like me who have drank the kool-aid and will plough in once they can get verified and funding sorted. :D

Blockchain.info - I managed to buy BTC yesterday but now all I get is error messages when trying to buy
    Kraken - No idea how to fund the account on their 1980s interface
    Coinbase is a disaster to access whilst America is awake
    Poloniex is the only thing that works for me - but I was funding that through Blockchain.info :pac:
    Fvck it...I'm off to Vegas to lob it all on Black

You must have been on poloniex during a lull. they are struggling too. up 600% they say. Oh and btw its Red 4sure. trust me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How is ETH still rising when all the exchanges have fallen over???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

When the shoeshine boy is giving stock tips, it's time to get out of the market. There's a crash coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Who is the shoeshine boy though? Not a single person I know in real life has heard of Ethereum anyway...

Only 2400 btc or $8.4million to $24,000 per btc on bitstamp :0. :)
    I know it wont stay like that but the sell order books on all exchanges are getting thin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

If anyone wants to buy a small amount of btc with aib transfer pm me

More by luck than anything else, I bought a reasonable amount post Mt. Gox - so the vast majority of it is profit. I don't feel like paying 33% on it - so even though I'm uncomfortable with this scenario right now, I feel I'm just going to have to ride it out - and continue to play the long game.

I believe a time will come when it's possible to use it (to purchase stuff) on a day to day basis (at least more so than right now). In any event, once this 'correction' kicks in, I probably won't want to sell after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sillybilly

Looking for some advice on best wallet to use.

Want to download one to my PC and then back up on harddrive

What wallet do ye use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ricimaki

sillybilly wrote: »
    Looking for some advice on best wallet to use.

Want to download one to my PC and then back up on harddrive

What wallet do ye use?

Exodus and Jaxx are what I use. Exodus has a nicer interface which will show you the total value of you portfolio (in USD). Jaxx supports more coins. They both integrate shapeshift to convert between coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Weezybabee

Anyone here use eToro?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Hi

I have started using Exodus as a wallet and all seems fine so far. I have made a small transaction and backed up my wallet. I have stored my password and backup phrase.

What I'm wondering is what happens if Exodus.io website disappears for some reason? Their help page says that the keys are stored locally but that the transaction data is stored on their servers.

What happens if their servers go down or disappear altogether? Have we lost everything?

I don't know if there is anyone here who knows more about this stuff but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Anyone here use a hardware wallet? Ledger wallet Nano S, Trezor etc.

• Advertisement

Has happened same day a few times but always less than 24 hours so far. I may have been lucky with timing, judging by what I've read about SEPA transfers being done in daily batches by financial institutions.

Still waiting.

Fairly sure that this 'fiddled' reference hasn't worked

Advertisement