Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slane - Announcement today?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

damn, that's a brutal lineup.
    drdre wrote:
    just hope i get a ticket.
    guys what do u think will there be queues for tickets or will they be worth waking up at 8am.
    :D:D:D:D (so excited)
    i should imagine if you hang around slane village on the day someone will be giving about 60,000 tickets away for free. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Anyone interested in starting an action group to sort this ****e out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Slane is just a business. They know this will sell out.

Complete arse IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

dublindude wrote:
    Slane is just a business. They know this will sell out.

Complete arse IMO.
    yeah, it'll probably sell out alright... but you gotta admit, this is going to be the youngest age profile at Slane ever.
    I wonder if there'll just be "Coke" and "Sprite" Tents, as the only people getting any booze will be all the guardians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

dregin wrote:
    Anyone interested in starting an action group to sort this ****e out?

Sort out what? Just because there's acts playing that you (and others) don't like doesn't mean it's sh1te. What are you gonna do next? Boycott the Red Cow Hotel because Joe Dolan or the God awful June Rodgers play ther?

If the gig sells out or gets close to selling out what's the problem? It's just business, his Lordship doesn't owe anybody any favours.

B.

Slane is a rock event. Not a pop one.

dregin wrote:
    Slane is a rock event. Not a pop one.

Says who? You?

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

Slane was never a rock event it just attracted rock and roll because that sold at the time. Peoples taste in music is very broad so they are not going to reserve slane for people who like rock music only. I presumme they are just alternating the genre. Who know what the line up will be next year. One thing is for sure i wont be going to slane this year......

Yes.
    In fact I don't even like most of the acts that have ever played there, but it's always been the Donington of Ireland associated with some of the greatest rock events ever.

Eminem isn't fit to breath the same air as bands like lizzy and guns n roses let alone play the same stage as them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

dear god.

everyone get their bottles of pi$$ ready ala Reading :)

http://www.nme.com/news/109703.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I don't like any of the acts, but throwing bottles at bands at a festival is really low.
    There's plenty of other acts. Why ruin it for people who actually want to see it. Imagine someone did that for a band you wanted to see.

I'd doubt very much if that would happen at Slane as the people going know who they are going to see. The Reading incident is an exception, mainly due to the fact that the organisers naively put on a Hip Hop act on what is a predominantly Rock event.

dregin wrote:
    Yes.
    In fact I don't even like most of the acts that have ever played there, but it's always been the Donington of Ireland associated with some of the greatest rock events ever.

In your opinion mate, in your opinion.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

Blisterman wrote:
    Why ruin it for people who actually want to see it.

education.

Word. Mean Fiddler will think twice before booking an act like 50 cent again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

dregin wrote:
    True. But you know what would have made a much bigger impact? Having him playing to an empty pit. If you go and throw bottles or whatever, you're just proving that you don't really care what acts they put on, you'll still stick around. Especially at a festival with multiple stages, you can go anywhere. The same as if Slane takes a couple of months as opposed to hours to sell out, it'll show that it's not a smart move. Even though they'll still make the same in ticket sales, it will cost them advertising revenue if it's not hyped up by being virtually impossible to get to.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Zoton

Okay, i understand the popularity of Eminem, although personally i think he's lost his edge, but the support line up is shockingly bad. Have never heard of most of them, and the ones i have, are an insult to music. Since rap is very popular here it could sell out, tickets are much cheaper than for madonna after all, but i doubt it'll happen tbh.

It'll sell out no problem, he sold out Punchestown twice. The important thing will be how fast, relative to RHCP, Madonna and U2. Hopefully not for a month or longer

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote:
    It'll sell out no problem, he sold out Punchestown twice. The important thing will be how fast, relative to RHCP, Madonna and U2. Hopefully not for a month or longer

Did the Madonna gig sell out? AFAIK it didn't, or if it did it wasn't until very close to the gig.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

dregin wrote:
    Yes.

Eminem isn't fit to breath the same air as bands like lizzy and guns n roses let alone play the same stage as them.

Yup, cos REM and Bryan Adams would fit right in at Donnington. STFU, TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I just want to point out that the supporters of eminem/rap rubbish playing in slane mostly are all new to boards and have feck all post count. ie-Its just kids who like eminem/rap rubbish.

What happened to the rumours that aerosmith or ac/dc would be playing. Now that would be a gig worth going to...

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    I just want to point out that the supporters of eminem/rap rubbish playing in slane mostly are all new to boards and have feck all post count. ie-Its just kids who like eminem/rap rubbish.

Bit of a silly statement considering that you only joined in January.

B.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Did the Madonna gig sell out? AFAIK it didn't, or if it did it wasn't until very close to the gig.

B.
    OK fair enough, I don't know if it sold out, but I shouldn't have included her as an example anyway, she's hardly rock either. And her tickets were way expensive.
    penexpers wrote:
    Yup, cos REM and Bryan Adams would fit right in at Donnington. STFU, TBH.
    No but neither would U2. Genres aren't always specifically defined. Slane is more towards the middle of the road, Donnington is far heavier. But while you couldn't see all the Slane headliners at Donnington, you could generally see Donnington headliners at Slane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

dregin wrote:
    Did you ever think people might have bought tickets especially to see 50 cent?
    Would you like if NOFX were playing and people did that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

28064212 wrote:
    It was easy to sell out the Punchestown gig. 10,000-15,000 tickets are easy to shift for any half decent well known pop/rock/rap artist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I think it was more than 15,000 Punchestown that time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

There were 60,000 people both nights = 120,000 people who went to see him! One of the dates sold out within hours and the other within days. Eminem and 50 cent will have absolutly no problem selling out 80,000 tickets for Slane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

28064212 wrote:
    True. But you know what would have made a much bigger impact? Having him playing to an empty pit. If you go and throw bottles or whatever, you're just proving that you don't really care what acts they put on, you'll still stick around

This wouldn't happen regardless of who's playing, people in the crowd were clearly waiting to see the band on after him, I've seen plenty of bands I don't like just to be near the front for the next band.

It's annoying when people take a band offstage but really I don't know what they were thinking getting 50cent at that gig.

On topic, tis a shame, with Black Sabbth playing a few gigs here and there it woulda been nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

28064212 wrote:

I find it odd how Slane has fallen from being the high profile rock gig to what it is now. 50 Cent and Eminem? Im sure the residents of Slane will not be happy with 80,000 knackers decending on them. Even if I got a free ticket I would not go to Slane this year.

While Im sure there are a few 50 cent and eminem fans out there that arent scumbags, I'd say the majority who will go to the gig will be in tracksuits and 45` baseball caps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭freddyf

I went to see Eminem in the punchardstown last year .
    Im not a fan of Eminem, But my friends where going so i just tagged along. I have never seen as many scumbags in one place.

Everywhere i went there was fights. Never again would i go to something like that. Ive been to Homelands and Creamfields and Oxegen. But this Eminem gig was on another level for scumbags.

Slane + 80,000 skangers = chaos

• Advertisement

freddyf wrote:
    I went to see Eminem in the punchardstown last year .
    Im not a fan of Eminem, But my friends where going so i just tagged along. I have never seen as many scumbags in one place.

Everywhere i went there was fights. Never again would i go to something like that. Ive been to Homelands and Creamfields and Oxegen. But this Eminem gig was on another level for scumbags.

Slane + 80,000 skangers = chaos

Ive just had a great idea.................. Lets build a wall around the gig and keep all the knackers in there. Crime will plumitt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

then we could fill it with water or pea soup or something! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

im a fan of hip hop and rap, and we rarely get hip hop and rap concerts over here in ireland so im just gonna go for the atmosphere, and people go dont go saying there wont be any atmosphere lmao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭freddyf

We can safely say the streets of dublin will be safe on that day.City centre will be like a utopia for one day.People will walk the streets feeling safe and no burbery caps to be seen. This day comes once in a life time people. Make the most of it.

im a fan of hip hop and rap, and we rarely get hip hop and rap concerts over here in ireland so im just gonna go for the atmosphere, and people go dont go saying there wont be any atmosphere lmao
    Yeah, I can imagine what kind of an atmosphere you're gonna get a from an 80,000 strong crowd of drunk skangers.

rofl u know its not true

Would ye ever give ye'r scumbag talk a break. Ye don't have a clue who the rap and Eminem fans of Ireland are and what they're like so don't go shouting your empty opinions to the world please. I know alot of 'rock fans' and alot of them are complete scum and wasters but you don't see me declaring to everyone my thoughts on how ALL rock fans are like that.
    Eminem is coming, the rap fans are going to go see him, the rest of ye rockers can sit at home listening to your AC/DC or whatever ye like and will just have to accept that music is moving on to new levels, and Slane is following.

deisedolly wrote:
    Would ye ever give ye'r scumbag talk a break. Ye don't have a clue who the rap and Eminem fans of Ireland are and what they're like so don't go shouting your empty opinions to the world please. I know alot of 'rock fans' and alot of them are complete scum and wasters but you don't see me declaring to everyone my thoughts on how ALL rock fans are like that.
    Eminem is coming, the rap fans are going to go see him, the rest of ye rockers can sit at home listening to your AC/DC or whatever ye like and will just have to accept that music is moving on to new levels, and Slane is following.

Scumbag

What he said.
    We already have one person who described the scenes at an eminem event.

• Advertisement

God ye are lovely people aren't ye? Hmmm

ye are a bunch of ''music genre racists'' just because i like rap music, your callin me a knacker a skanger? like wtf, whats with these metal and rock fans with their gay leather jackets and ugly piercings and green or red coloured hair and do lots of ''hard'' drugs and have no lifes. you can say the same **** about rock/metal or rap, face it and stop dissin slane because its not ''your genre of music playing'' and yes it 4.55 am in the morning, do i look like i give a ****? no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

ye are a bunch of ''music genre racists'' just because i like rap music, your callin me a knacker a skanger? like wtf, whats with these metal and rock fans with their gay leather jackets and ugly piercings and green or red coloured hair and do lots of ''hard'' drugs and have no lifes. you can say the same **** about rock/metal or rap, face it and stop dissin slane because its not ''your genre of music playing'' and yes it 4.55 am in the morning, do i look like i give a ****? no
    Hardcore man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

As people have said it's got nothing to do with the organisers of slane keeping up a tradition, the only tradition they wanna keep is the selling out of the gig every year. I think their just very clever they got the Red Hot Chili Peppers in a their absolute peak along with FF's and QOTSA who all had hugely popular albums out the previous year. Also Rap is the biggest selling genre of music in the world at the moment so for them it's a smart move they are businessmen not music lovers. If i was in their shoes i would want to put in rock music but i'd also be trying to make money so i can't say it'd be any different. I'd much prefer to see Slane full up with bands that don't seem to come and play in Irish festivals very often= Black Sabbath, System of a Down, Radiohead and AC/DC. For now i think the Eminem choice is understandable but if they don't offer some sort of Rockier line up people are probably better off going to Reading,Leeds, Glastonbury or the Download festival or further away still Rock Am Ring in Germanland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Are Ac/Dc still playing thses days? R they not dead at this stage?? Excuse me ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Calm down horse. Take a seat and talk coherantly. The vast majority of people on these boards don't agree with the lineup for one simple reason. The reason being that Eminem and 50 Cent aren't up to scratch when it comes to headlining a gig with such a prestigious history. A lot of the same people felt the same when Madonna played there last year, I know I did. MCD are not interested in who they put on at Slane anymore, they probably never were, but the difference is more pronounced these days. I'm not saying Eminem is gonna be ****e but, by comparison to U2 and people like Robbie Williams, I don't think his performance will be as solid. In fact, I quite like some of the stuff Eminem has done, including 8 Mile, but it wouldn't be my type of gig.

• Advertisement

hahaha.
    i just remembered I've actually seen eminem before about 5 years ago at Reading. I fell lay down and went to sleep in the middle of the pit :D

i was in the punchesttown gig in 2003, best day of my life to this day. it was so cool with acts like cypress hill playing songs like insane in brain and rock superstar which everyone just crazy and loved it, they loved everybody who played their, cypress hill and xzibit were the best live performers in my opinion but eminem was good too.maybe it was only good because i was in the front of mosh pit, i dunno but i had no trouble with knackers etc, they came to enjoy themselves not rob people or beat people up for stick a needle to their face and demand something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Are Ac/Dc still playing thses days? R they not dead at this stage?? Excuse me ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Actually we get quite a few.

I'm by no means taking sides with the anti-rap posse, but when I was at the Eminem gig in 2003 my friend did get a smack of an elbow in the face off some scumbag fightin another scumbag haha!
    In fairness though I'm sure that kinda craic happens at evey gig with all the drink and drugs etc. I'm sure there are many pricks amongst you 'rockers' that aren't very pleasant under the influence either so just shut up about rap fans being scumbags because that is an unfair generalisation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement