Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridging the Vodafone HG658c

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It's actually there from the vodafone/vodafone too. The update happens automatically at around 3am. I guess they are doing it in phases around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

V100R001C172B214
    That has been downloaded automatically. Have you noticed a difference?
    I've seen an option which displays NAT connections. Otherwise no difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭OcocO

Mine was auto updated too as it turns out.

Masses more FEC errors, both up and down, for me.
    Less CRC errors though.

Otherwise not much difference performance wise, no.

I've 202,711 downstream FEC errors and 75,800 upstream FEC errors reported in the two days since my update.
    I see the PPoE bridging option is now available all right in the standard login under "Basic" "WAN"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Conar

fat-tony wrote: »
    I've 202,711 downstream FEC errors and 75,800 upstream FEC errors reported in the two days since my update.
    I see the PPoE bridging option is now available all right in the standard login under "Basic" "WAN"

Downstream CRC 20
    Upstream CRC 17
    Downstream FEC 182261
    Upstream FEC 30691

• Advertisement

There are posts in another thread about increased numbers of FEC and CRC errors. It may be just the way the modem is reporting them with the new firmware. I might pop a question on the "Talk to vodafone" forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

So acting on tips from other users it looks like if you put your modem into bridged mode using the hack on the first page then you are not receiving router firmware upgrades, and this B214 update is important for the enabling of vectoring which is going on around the country at the moment. There is perhaps a risk that you would lose your vdsl connection if vectoring is enabled on your cab and your old firmware is causing interference. B214 also now officially supports bridging, so hacks are no longer necessary to bridge.

This is what I did to unbridge the modem, apply the updated firmware and go back into bridged mode.

1. Reset Vodafone router with paperclip in reset button. Disconnect LAN cable from your primary router. The firmware update was pushed to my router almost immediately but might take longer for others; it triggers a reboot. You can confirm you have the latest firmware in step 3.
    2. Connect your PC to Vodafone router via LAN or Wifi and logon as normal using vodafone / vodafone
    3. Go into Status => Device to ensure the software version ends in B214
    4. Go into Basic => LAN and disable DHCP server
    5. Go into Basic => WAN, select second item in list (PTM_INTERNET). (Make a note of your Vodafone username here if you hadn't before - you'll need it when logging into PPPoE on your primary router.) Change connection type to PPPoE_Bridged. Uncheck TR069 and VOIP options.
    6. Click Submit and power cycle the router for good measure.
    7. Connect Eth1 port on voda router to WAN port on primary router. Primary router should have DHCP server enabled.
    8. Disable voda wifi by pressing Wifi button on voda router (green light should go out).
    9. Your primary router should now be connecting to your vodafone router (now just a dumb modem) via PPPoE using your Vodafone username from earlier. Password is broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

V100R001C172B214

Is there a direct download link for this version?

peking97 wrote: »
    Is there a direct download link for this version?
    No - VF push it to the modem/router when it is connected. Try a power cycle on the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

thanks for heads up on bridging. did you pick any particular time for resetting modem? and did the software update disable wi fi in the VF modem/gateway?

• Advertisement

Not sure who you want to answer this? My own modem was not bridged and downloaded the update automatically. Update did not affect anything, other than providing UI changes. Did you toggle the wi-fi button on the side of the modem? Once you select bridge mode again I would assume all wi-fi and router functions are disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

swoofer wrote: »
    thanks for heads up on bridging. did you pick any particular time for resetting modem? and did the software update disable wi fi in the VF modem/gateway?

Don't think the time of day really matters, it was presumably queued for my device and the minute it "appeared" then the firmware was pushed.

The software update doesn't enable or disable anything - in my case I decided to completely reset the Vodafone router to factory defaults to get out of bridged mode and receive the update. But once I was back in bridged mode I pressed the Wifi button on the router to disable the (now unnecessary) wifi signal from the Vodafone router.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

I only ask as a neighbour lost wi fi on the VF modem and when I checked it, wi fi had been disabled and it had the latest software ie B214. I don't want to do a reset and find it does not update as then I wont be able to bridge it again. This would cause me quite a bit of hassle. And I have lost my current PW for the VF modem so cant have a sneaky look to see if it updated in bridge mode but I doubt it going by the posts on here. I shall wait a little longer for all cabinets to be upgraded or news to that effect.

I am stiill waiting for someone to post who has actually got vectoring!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Before the firmware update it was possible to configure VOIP settings from within the advanced menu's using the inspect element trick but it seems now that when you unveil the VOIP tab and click it the router logs out and returns to the login page?

Kevin! wrote: »
    Before the firmware update it was possible to configure VOIP settings from within the advanced menu's using the inspect element trick but it seems now that when you unveil the VOIP tab and click it the router logs out and returns to the login page?
    Don't know mate - maybe they disabled VoIP settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Hi Kevin,

I'm on firmware B214 and can still access the VOIP menu by editing the styles in inspect mode.
    Having said that, I had VOIP configured before the upgrade

Look for Admin_1_4 and set the style , which should then display the menu

<tr id="Admin_1_4" class="trMenuItem" style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" display:=""><td><table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td width="20"> </td><td width="20"> </td><td nowrap="" class="MenuTD_Lvl_2"> <a hidefocus="hidefocus" href="#" class="MenuLink_Lvl_2" id="link_Admin_1_4" onmouseover="mouseOverLink(this.id);" onmouseout="mouseOutLink(this.id);" onclick="clickMenuLink(this.id);" style="color: rgb(153, 0, 0); font-weight: normal;">Voice</a></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr>

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

fat-tony wrote: »
    No - VF push it to the modem/router when it is connected. Try a power cycle on the device.

I have since come across this page so it appears there is a direct download link.
    https://community.vodafone.ie/t5/Landline-Technical-Support/Huawei-HG658c-Software-Update/m-p/147717#M1118

peking97 wrote: »
    I have since come across this page so it appears there is a direct download link.
    https://community.vodafone.ie/t5/Landline-Technical-Support/Huawei-HG658c-Software-Update/m-p/147717#M1118
    Daughter got VF fibre install today. I connected the modem and it downloaded the update straight away. Direct download probably for those who bridged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

Hi everyone,

I have my hunwei hg658c in bridge mode.
    When I have it bridged to my Asus rt ac68u it works for about 5 mins.
    The Asus thinks it has an internet connection but it doesn't. Everything is set up correctly. I have the huawei wifi off and I have Bridge mode set up properly.
    The Asus is set up properly too. It was working fine for about 1 day in total with many internet cut offs for about 1 minute each. Now it completely cuts off after 5 minutes and does not reconnect.

I was going to bget a free replacement off Vodafone because they think their modem is damaged. Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Doublelime wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I have my hunwei hg658c in bridge mode.
    When I have it bridged to my Asus rt ac68u it works for about 5 mins.
    The Asus thinks it has an internet connection but it doesn't. Everything is set up correctly. I have the huawei wifi off and I have Bridge mode set up properly.
    The Asus is set up properly too. It was working fine for about 1 day in total with many internet cut offs for about 1 minute each. Now it completely cuts off after 5 minutes and does not reconnect.

I was going to bget a free replacement off Vodafone because they think their modem is damaged. Any advice?

Thanks in advance

How long have you had the Huawei in bridged mode? The reason I ask is that the Huawei was originally supplied with firmware which was not compatible with vectoring and if it has been in bridge mode for some time it will not have been able to receive the update. The relevant firmware version ends with the characters B214. If you reset the modem and check the firmware version and it's not B214 this may be the issue. Connecting the modem in normal gateway mode should force a download of the new firmware or you can go to VF's support site and get it from there and install it manually.

Now that a lot of cabinets have been upgraded to vectoring it could be that your modem is non-compliant and is being cut off by the DSLAM in the cabinet. Just a thought...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

I actually just fixed it by restoring default settings on the Asus and huawei. Before that I was enabling loads of things that were not necessary. Now I only put the huawei in ppoe bridge mode and I turned of dchp servers. I also only have internet,wan and lan 1 ticked.

Every couple of hours the Asus wifi dies for about half a minute but I can live with that because I hope a firmware update would fix that

Thanks for your help though, the huawei has the b214 firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DeBride

Can anybody help. Got new Vodafone HG658c fibre modem connected yesterday, but now cannot get my TP-Link Wireless extender to work. Gone thru the wireless settings, but RE light with not go solid. Spoke to rep from Vodafone, but they say not qualified to sort it out, but to look up portforwarding + bridging on internet. Has any bodyelse had this problem. Please, please help as I cannot get wifi upstairs. Wifi working downstairs. Need this extender to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DeBride

Can anybody help. Got new fibre vodafone broadband modem hg658c two days ago. Got wifi downstairs, but upstairs i had tp_link wifi extender working on old modem. Workef brilliantly, but cant get working with this new modem. The RE light on extender wont go solid. Vodafone techi cant help but mentioned to google port forwarding or bridging. I have no idea what hw means. Can anybody help. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

DeBride wrote: »
    Can anybody help. Got new Vodafone HG658c fibre modem connected yesterday, but now cannot get my TP-Link Wireless extender to work. Gone thru the wireless settings, but RE light with not go solid. Spoke to rep from Vodafone, but they say not qualified to sort it out, but to look up portforwarding + bridging on internet. Has any bodyelse had this problem. Please, please help as I cannot get wifi upstairs. Wifi working downstairs. Need this extender to work.

The RE LED is the range extender.

The HG658c just needs to be paired with the device. (or any new modem you get - the TP link is currently paired with your old modem)

The easiest way to do this is via the WPS service.There is a WPS button on the HG658c, just press this for a few seconds, then press the WPS button on the TP link or log on to the device via the web gui and click thew WPS option (slightly different depending on the version youy have)

You will be up and running then :)

If you put up the make and model of the TP link loads of boardsies here can help you!

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

can someone tell me what entry i have to edit to show the max attainable rate? ive managed to show the hidden lists but cant find the entry for max rate

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭OcocO

dazdrog wrote: »
    can someone tell me what entry i have to edit to show the max attainable rate? ive managed to show the hidden lists but cant find the entry for max rate
      You'd type in 192.168.1.1 into the URL bar at the top of the browser
      Enter "admin" and "admin1234" for username and password respectively.
      Navigate to the DSL stats page.
      Right-click (or ctrl-click) on the words "Upstream line rate (kbit/s)" and choose "Inspect Element" from the contextual menu that appears.
      In the console that appears at the bottom of the page you'll see that, two or three lines below the selected line, are two lines ending "style="display:none"></tr>"
      Double click on the words "display:none" and they should be selected. Press delete / backspace and then press enter / return. Repeat for the other one.

If you're running OS X, I made an app for the HG658c UI - it has the hidden entries, automatic login and refresh, improved UI, collects the SNRs and Attainables every minute so they can be charted etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

OcocO wrote: »
    • You'd type in 192.168.1.1 into the URL bar at the top of the browser
    • Enter "admin" and "admin1234" for username and password respectively.
    • Navigate to the DSL stats page.
    • Right-click (or ctrl-click) on the words "Upstream line rate (kbit/s)" and choose "Inspect Element" from the contextual menu that appears.
    • In the console that appears at the bottom of the page you'll see that, two or three lines below the selected line, are two lines ending "style="display:none"></tr>"
    • Double click on the words "display:none" and they should be selected. Press delete / backspace and then press enter / return. Repeat for the other one.

If you're running OS X, I made an app for the HG658c UI - it has the hidden entries, automatic login and refresh, improved UI, collects the SNRs and Attainables every minute so they can be charted etc.

thank you very much, that worked a treat :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

If I did this I'd have 3 things and the landline cluttering up the hallway...

Still tempted... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭limey_tank

So I was a little confused with some of these instructions so I'm going to post a synopsis.

0. Connect your computer to the modem with an ethernet cable.

1. Log in to the router webpage (192.168.1.1) with Username: admin and Pssword: admin1234

2. Under the Basic tab, the WAN config page will show your connection options. I didn't need to do any of the shenanigans to make the WAN options visible. Copy the account name ([serial number]@vodafone.ie)

3. Set the connection type of your interface to PPPoE_Bridged. I also had to turn off TR069 and VOIP as I was getting an error message when I went to submit changes.

4. At this stage the "link" and "internet" lights will not be lit. I didn't have to reset the modem to change back and forth between IP_Routed and PPPoE_Bridged. Turn WiFi off on the modem.

5. Connect LAN1 on the router to the WAN port on the Airport. The Airport mightn't be happy, but don't worry.

6. Tell the Airport to use PPPoE and enter the account name from step 2. The password is "broadband". I got a happy green light on the Airport and no green lights on the modem (apart from power and LAN1) and it's working fine. DNS and Gateways etc. will all configure themselves. Set the Airport to do it's own DHCP and NAT.

7. Curse Eircom because they are taking so long to upgrade my cab to fibre even though it's been in place for over a year and I could not be further from the exchange so my speeds are crap.

I never turned off DHCP on the modem, but it the whole setup appears to be working fine, no double NAT errors... except I can no longer reach the modem config page over wifi using WiFi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 arturro7

Can work this router as Access Point or client?

Advertisement