Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must we Irish say "mom"?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Lots of people in Galway say mom and have done for decades

For centuries / millennia.

Creol1 wrote: »
    I don't mind the word itself or regard it as intrinsically American; what bugs me is the spelling; on this side of the Atlantic it's "Mum", and that's how I've always spelt it.

I know this was posted almost two years ago so I'm guessing Rabo Karabekian isn't sitting on the edge of his seat waiting for an answer, but the Munster dialect is the nearest there is to a standard dialect and is the dialect used in textbooks.

Text books in schools in Munster are in Munster dialect, ditto. text books in Ulster and Connaught. So if you're in Munster then yes, text books are principally in Munster Irish.

Text books in Leinster are in more middle ground as to dialects, admittedly probably closest to Connaught Irish, but this is debatable. Certainly not in Munster Irish per se.

The official standard allows for many forms, grammar and vocabulary from all dialects but since 2016 has not permitted the compound verb structures most common in Munster Irish. Where Munster dialect has different gender to other two dialects, e.g. gaineamh, the standard tends to favour the other two dialects.

Either way "mam" in Irish would be pronounced "mom" as per English pronunciation in all dialects, as per abair.ie / teanglann.ie pronunciation tool.

Re spelling mom "mum", that's surely a bit like arguing that ma should be spelt "mammy" or mama "mum"; they're all different words and should be spelt differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Colliewollie

I'm 31, from Co. Kerry and have said the word 'mom' all my life.. The others are not common around my neck of the woods. I'm from the country as well, not an urbanite.. Hate the sound of 'mum' being honest!!

I'm 31, from Co. Kerry and have said the word 'mom' all my life.. The others are not common around my neck of the woods. I'm from the country as well, not an urbanite.. Hate the sound of 'mum' being honest!!

Agreed. Mom is a much nicer word. Mum, mummy just sounds so Tory party, 1950s famous five, biggles, Rupert the bear British

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Text books in schools in Munster are in Munster dialect, ditto. text books in Ulster and Connaught. So if you're in Munster then yes, text books are principally in Munster Irish.

News to me, I have to say.
    ezra_pound wrote: »
    Re spelling mom "mum", that's surely a bit like arguing that ma should be spelt "mammy" or mama "mum"; they're all different words and should be spelt differently.

"Mom" and "mum" are pronounced the same way and hence, without wishing to split hairs, I would classify them as different spellings rather than different words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Mum or mam here.

"Mom" and "mum" are pronounced the same way and hence, without wishing to split hairs, I would classify them as different spellings rather than different words.

The whole premise of this thread is that they are not pronounced the same way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Pronounced the same way? Go back to primary school bub / bob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Pronounced the same way? Go back to primary school bub / bob

If you view me as mistaken, you are welcome to explain why, but your rudeness is unwarranted, particularly in a serious section such as this.

Your comment has been reported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,774 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mod: keep it civil please folks, no need for techy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

If you view me as mistaken, you are welcome to explain why, but your rudeness is unwarranted, particularly in a serious section such as this.

Your comment has been reported.

My explanation is the fact that in short words especially, the letter u and the letter o are pronounced differently.

Hub and hob are two different words for example. Same with tum and tom .

Mum and mom will be pronounced differently by anyone who understands how vowels work/ sound.

If you're still confused feel free to ask for further explanation

Advertisement