Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

event wrote: »
    Im happy so far. they just feel "better" can't explain it.

A little off topic, but Matt Fitzgerald in his book Run quotes a biomechanics study from Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise (2001) that says:
    "runners are less likely to suffer injuries when they choose running shoes that feel most comfortable"

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fast.punx

rom wrote: »
    2 pairs of GT2170's near EOL, moved into 2nd pair of Mizuno Wave 8 which I really like and Asics DC Trainers which I am not mad about.

Thats awesome! I'd really check out the Mizuno Wave Elixir 7s next time. It's closer the those DS TRainers, but still going to give you that Mizuno fit and responsive feel. Much better than the GT2170 IMO...

I'm on my 4th pair of Elixirs already, and have been getting about 450 miles outta em

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fast.punx

wrstan wrote: »
    the Mizuna Musha which had a very good review in Running Times recently. I would have given them serious consideration had I not just picked up the ST5's.

I've tested a pair of ST5's... and they felt ok, but comparing them to the Mizuno Musha, the Musha feels more like a "go fast" shoe, vs. the ST5, which felt a bit clunky too me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Trying the Adidas Gazelle from their adipure range.
    One run so far!!!
    Got a pair of Adidas Adapt but not sure about them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Got a pair of Adidas Adapt but not sure about them.

They're very ugly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I love love..my adidas gazelle in blue suede,they are just a dream to walk in,would buy a pair of them again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

I love love..my adidas gazelle in blue suede,they are just a dream to walk in,would buy a pair of them again..

ye I have the same colour.Agree RQ the adapt are seriously ugly but I didn't pay for them :p

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    How are the ST5's, I loved the 4's, but was thinking of holding out for the 6's

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I picked up a head cold last week which quickly went down to my chest, so I took a few rest days.

I have worn the ST5's for 2 runs, the first an easy 12k with some progression and then last night on the track for a session of 400's. I have to say I am really happy with them, they feel light, comfortable and responsive. Mostly they seem to be a very good fit for me, and for both runs almost instantly I was unaware of them at all (if that makes sense!) other than to notice the reduction in weight from my trusty Nimbus. I would definitely put them into a "they just feel good" category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Just back from my 1st run in my new pair of Brooks Adrenaline and can't recommend them enough. I'd been wearing Brooks Ravenna 2 for the past year and I thought they couldn't be bettered. There's that slight bit of extra cushioning in the Adrenaline which makes all the difference, I've returned from a 15k run (5k more than I usually do) with a lot less aches than usual. I'm fearing however that after a couple of months the effect will wear off.

My Ravenna 2 are still as good as the day I bought them and I'll probably pull them out for my ext road race.

• Advertisement

A little off topic, but Matt Fitzgerald in his book Run quotes a biomechanics study from Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise (2001) that says:
    "runners are less likely to suffer injuries when they choose running shoes that feel most comfortable"

FYI, the author of that article, Prof Benno Nigg is to appear on that Panorama programme tonight on the lack of evidence that sports products work.
    See this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056705667

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

In bad need for a new pair of runners to replace my LunarGlide 3 which are falling apart...

Not sure what to get, I really liked the fit and feel of the lunarglides although I was never fond of the colour of them. Any recomendations, looking for something light and bouncy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

nellocono wrote: »
    In bad need for a new pair of runners to replace my LunarGlide 3 which are falling apart...

Not sure what to get, I really liked the fit and feel of the lunarglides although I was never fond of the colour of them. Any recomendations, looking for something light and bouncy?

Have you ever considered the bare foot (five finger shoes)? They're light and as bouncy as your stride. Supposedly its the best way to run because its natural.

I'd go for them myself only I take a size 14 ad have abnormally shaped curved toes. I've seen a lot of people using them in the US on the road as well as up mountain trails.

seanmacc wrote: »
    Have you ever considered the bare foot (five finger shoes)? They're light and as bouncy as your stride. Supposedly its the best way to run because its natural.

I'd go for them myself only I take a size 14 ad have abnormally shaped curved toes. I've seen a lot of people using them in the US on the road as well as up mountain trails.

mmmm.... jump right into a pair of 5-fingers from lunarglides - guaranteed injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Get them in a different colour??

Get them in a different colour??

I am looking at a few options. Either get them in a different colour or else a pair of Peagasus. Does anyone know if there is much difference between the Pegasus and the Lunarglide and/or the vomeros?

I have to say the LunarGlides are the ugliest shoes I have ever seen, why do nike make them so ugly.:mad:

• Advertisement

I would imagine there being a difference. Pegasus is a neutral shoe and uses air not lunarlon afaik. I think the glide is a decent looking shoe,but then,the fashion end of shoes wouldnt be high on my list. Once it does its job,is comfortable and keeps me injury free,that'll do.

Yeah I may well stick with the LunarGlide given there lighter also. I also see on the Nike ID site that you can customize almost everything about the shoe, meaning you can design it yourself...Premium cosst of 140 euro though :eek:

Anyone on here care to design a pair of LunarGlides for me? The nicest pair I see I will purchase them!

http://www.nike.com/ie/en_gb/c/running/nike-running-lunarglide-plus

I am looking at a few options. Either get them in a different colour or else a pair of Peagasus. Does anyone know if there is much difference between the Pegasus and the Lunarglide and/or the vomeros?

I have to say the LunarGlides are the ugliest shoes I have ever seen, why do nike make them so ugly.:mad:

nike lunarfly 2 is fairly similar to lunarglide. elverys had them (should still do) for 65 euro. they are a bit lighter. colour was black upper with luminous green lower. not as bad as it sounds. anyways you're wearing them running, not casual...
    Lunarglide 3 do have some decent colours but to actually find the model in that colour you might well have to buy from nike website. try tribesports.com for links - http://tribesports.com/products?q=lunarglide

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭psychozeb

they have the new lunarglide+4 on the elverys site for €106,saw them in Lisbon last weekend and they were looking for €140!
    http://www.elverys.ie/Product/Nike-Lunarglide-4-Mens-Mens-VoltBlue/216889/0000000589

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Meb's shoes for London - has anyone taken the Sketchers for a spin yet?

image001-748x339.jpg

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    nike lunarfly 2 is fairly similar to lunarglide. elverys had them (should still do) for 65 euro. they are a bit lighter. colour was black upper with luminous green lower. not as bad as it sounds. anyways you're wearing them running, not casual...
    Lunarglide 3 do have some decent colours but to actually find the model in that colour you might well have to buy from nike website. try tribesports.com for links - http://tribesports.com/products?q=lunarglide
    I tried on the Lunarfly and found them noticably different under the arches.Wiggle have the 3's in 2 different colours,got a pair delivered to the door for €78. Sub4.ie have them also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

image001-748x339.jpg

I have a pair of Skechers Go Run. They have a hugely built up midfoot so that there is a drop from the midfoot to the toe and heel. Nice fit light shoes but feel a bit weird to run in.

These ones look like a fltter, newer version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I picked up a head cold last week which quickly went down to my chest, so I took a few rest days.

I have worn the ST5's for 2 runs, the first an easy 12k with some progression and then last night on the track for a session of 400's. I have to say I am really happy with them, they feel light, comfortable and responsive. Mostly they seem to be a very good fit for me, and for both runs almost instantly I was unaware of them at all (if that makes sense!) other than to notice the reduction in weight from my trusty Nimbus. I would definitely put them into a "they just feel good" category.

Picked up a pair this evening - 7.75 miles straight out of the box, nice bouncy feel, hope the laces last!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Picked up a pair this evening - 7.75 miles straight out of the box, nice bouncy feel, hope the laces last!

yeah - great runners. The laces are a 'mare though. triple knots required.

Originally Posted by BeepBeep67

I have a pair of Skechers Go Run. They have a hugely built up midfoot so that there is a drop from the midfoot to the toe and heel. Nice fit light shoes but feel a bit weird to run in.

These ones look like a fltter, newer version.

I believe I read somewhere that Skechers make a customized show for Meb to suit his particular style. I think these might be promoting their new GoRun Ride model shoe which is a little heavier and more cushioned than the Go Run albeit still very light at 7.8 oz.

I am def going to try these on in the Skechers store and see how they feel as I am a big fan of light, bouncy flexible shoes with enough padding to make it comfortable...

I tried on the Lunarfly and found them noticably different under the arches.Wiggle have the 3's in 2 different colours,got a pair delivered to the door for €78. Sub4.ie have them also

true - there is a bit of a difference on the arches but may suit some people looking for a lunarglide-type runner that's a couple of ounces lighter.

Anybody get the Lunarglide 4's yet and if so,what are they like?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Anybody get the Lunarglide 4's yet and if so,what are they like?

Wondering the same myself,I see Sports Direct have them for €80.39 excluding delivery at the moment.

I think Elverys have them for €106. Might try them on and take it from there;)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

I think Elverys have them for €106. Might try them on and take it from there;)

According to this thread in Bargains Alert this code can be used in store to get 20% off full price items "elv12pm7" in Elverys.
    Let us know what you think of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I just noticed today that the NB mr00 I've been wearing for the last three months are different sizes. The left is a 9 and the right is a 10. Doh !!

Just picked up a pair of the Lunarglide 4's:D I have to say,first impressions,far superior fit than the 3's,cushioning seems better and they feel noticably lighter.Havnt run in them yet,on a rest day.Have a handy 5 miler tomorrow,ill let ye know how i get on.Im excited to say the least!!!

Well, took the Glide 4's for a spin this evening,5.5 miles @7.40min/mile pace.What can I say.The Glide 3's are in the ha'penny place to these babies.Mucho impressed.I have to say,Nike,give yourselves a big pat on the back,you got this upgrade very right imo. Im a very happy camper.Oh,and have a 20 mile lsr on sunday,ill definately be wearing them:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi guys, have been running in Mizuno Waveriders and Mizuno Precisions for a couple of years now. Because prices have increased in the Mizuno range (putting them in the same price bracket as all other running shoes), I'm wondering if I should be looking at alternatives from other manufacturers, instead of sticking with the tried and trusted (because they were cheaper and fit me well).

Any suggestions, on either:
    1) Where I can still pick up Mizunos at a reasonable price (Precision 12 on Wiggle: €113, Waverider 15: €119).
    2) Alternatives to the above two shoes?

Would prefer to go to a bricks and mortar shop (e.g. AK), but get through a lot of shoes, so am price conscious, so any suggestions welcomed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Hi guys, have been running in Mizuno Waveriders and Mizuno Precisions for a couple of years now. Because prices have increased in the Mizuno range (putting them in the same price bracket as all other running shoes), I'm wondering if I should be looking at alternatives from other manufacturers, instead of sticking with the tried and trusted (because they were cheaper and fit me well).

1) Where I can still pick up Mizunos at a reasonable price (Precision 12 on Wiggle: €113, Waverider 15: €119).

Would prefer to go to a bricks and mortar shop (e.g. AK), but get through a lot of shoes, so am price conscious, so any suggestions welcomed!

I was in the same boat (waveriders and precisions)

I now find the Kinvara 3 great. Very light but ive over 200 miles in two pairs so far without problems

100 euro from AK website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I now find the Kinvara 3 great. Very light but ive over 200 miles in two pairs so far without problems
    Sounds like I need to make another trip out to AK (it's been a while). Would you position the Kinvara 3 as a replacement for the Precision or the Waverider (or a hybrid of both?). I liked the Waverider for the long slow slogs (20-22m at easy pace) and the Precisions for any faster stuff (tempo/PMP/marathons etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

In terms of feel i'd put them a lot closer to the precisions than the WR. They are very light but theres a suprisingly cushioned feel.

Ideally great for tempos and intervals, but im used to them now and use them for LSRs without problems, did 21 last sunday.

Hi Krusty, best thing is to go out and have a chat to the staff in AK, I always learn something new there and if you can get there at an off peak time I always find them very generous with their time. I know I'm a bit late replying to this, so maybe you have been there already. Last time I was out there (about a month ago) they hade the latest wave rider at around the prices you're quoting from Wiggle above! I was very tempted but ended up with a pair of Brooks ST5 racers, which were a good bit cheaper, but for my money a really nice shoe if you're looking for something light and for a neutral gait which I guess you must be if you've been wearing Wave riders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

I've gone from Asics DS trainers at least years DCM which also did me for all races in between. they are now in the bin (recycling!) so I've gone more minimalist this time - Saucony Fast switch which have improved my short race times considerably.

I am worried about longer distances that I need more cushioning so am considering getting a 2nd pair for longer distances and maybe the DCM this year - any recommendations? Would the lunar glide 4's be TOO cushioned compared to the fast switch? Can you interchange easily between minimalist and cushioned over different distances? i.e safe to do so!?

The deal in Elvery's on BA seems pretty good - buy one pair get one half price and also the 15% code.

Anyway, am off for LSR 15-20m in the fast switch I'll see how I feel afterwards I guess :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

If you're running 20m in the Fastwitch, you will have no problems running DCM.

Because of the low heel you are running more mid to fore foot, start introducing deeper cushioning you will lose the 'feel' for the road and probably raise the heel bringing you more towards a mid - heel landing.

I'd say stick to the Fastwitch, but watch the mileage, they are a racer, so life is quite limited relative to your regular trainer.

Well I managed 17 miles at a slow enough pace ~ 8.40 but a lot was cross country as the park was mostly off limits to my route due to the races :-/

anyway, feel a little sore today might get a slightly more cushioned pair for the marathon. I ran it last year in 3.43 with the DS trainers but am aiming for 3.20 this year.

thinking getting the Asics volt which has a 10mm drop to heel compared to my fast switch has 4mm. Also the lunar glides 4 which are probably too cushioned but for easy runs might be nice ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

My Brooks t5s finally died on me (started causin foot problems) after 4 or 5 years:(

Greatest racing shoe I ever ran in (everything from 5k to HM)

Will be upgrading to the t7s this week to break them in before HM in two week

ecoli wrote: »
    My Brooks t5s finally died on me (started causin foot problems) after 4 or 5 years
    :eek:

how many miles did you put on them? I'll be lucky to get a year out of my runners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

ecoli wrote: »
    My Brooks t5s finally died on me (started causin foot problems) after 4 or 5 years:(

:eek: :eek:

Frame those babies! Retire them with love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Just got a pair of these:
    1332685188_60456.jpg
    Went for a flat 2km just to try them out, my fastest so far, by a whole 8 seconds :rolleyes:. Knew I was pushing on but the shoes felt so good, light and fast.
    The fit is great in them.
    Coming from Lunarglides and Pegasus I wanted to start with a 9mm drop.
    Will take it easy mileage wise getting used to them.
    They feel real good so far.
    Now what to buy next, both Pegasus and Lunarglides are near retirement, might go for another pair of lunarglide2 on the cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

b.harte wrote: »
    Just got a pair of these:
    1332685188_60456.jpg
    Went for a flat 2km just to try them out, my fastest so far, by a whole 8 seconds :rolleyes:. Knew I was pushing on but the shoes felt so good, light and fast.
    The fit is great in them.

They're great, aren't they?

Wait til you try these babies...

rsz_newkit.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Yup, in about 6 months time all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

rsz_newkit.jpg

I have never had a better shoe than the 233s. Absolutely love them, have 2500km in a pair. I've been mixing them with a pair of 155s lately but I'm moving on to something else.

This morning I went for my first run in a pair of Vivo Barefoot Aqua Lite. A different proposition completely to the 233s. Once I've had a few weeks in them I'll come back with some comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

00sully wrote: »
    :eek:

how many miles did you put on them? I'll be lucky to get a year out of my runners!

Used to do all my races in them and most of my sessions (2-3 a week) so would be well over the 1000 mile mark anyway
    :eek: :eek:

Frame those babies! Retire them with love.

Intend to the greatest flat I have ever had was gutted when the t6s rolled along so much so that I was reluctant to change until I had to.

They shall be stuffed and mounted and set as an example for my new flats to follow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

New Japan Thunder 4 track spikes arrived today. Kid locked in sweetshop time!

For speed work & track races....To supplement Asics DS racers & Vibrams in current regular use.

now where's the freezer for my poor achilles...

• Advertisement
Advertisement