Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything Else Hip Hop

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Nice little piece on Blu & Exile's below the heavens album, from how they met to the recording process.

http://www.xxlmag.com/features/2012/07/the-creation-of-blu-exiles-below-the-heavens-five-year-anniversary/

I have a copy of this on CD, so it looks like it's worth a bit of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Has anyone here seen the film ATL with big boi and T.I, is it any good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Has anyone here seen the film ATL with big boi and T.I, is it any good ?

It's decent, but not great. Coming of age type of thing, Big Boi plays a very good villain in it, but T.I takes up most of the screen time. I'd give it a watch if you are a fan of either.

weemcd wrote: »
    It's decent, but not great. Coming of age type of thing, Big Boi plays a very good villain in it, but T.I takes up most of the screen time. I'd give it a watch if you are a fan of either.

il give it a watch during the week, i came across it on zune on the xbox so it costs a few points to rent just wasnt sure if i wanted to waste money on it.

cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Speaking of TI, he'll be starring in the second season of a US programme called Boss. It's brilliant.

Kelsey Grammer is the lead in it and he's incredible in the role. He won the Golden Globe ahead of Steve Buscemi (Boardwalk Empire), Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad) and Damian Lewis (Homeland). That's how good he was in the first season and it was only 8 episodes long.

The second season starts on the 17th of August. It'd definitely be worth looking it up for Grammer's performance and not just to see TI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Dre posted this on Twitter

PQpIh.png

Drake thinks he's the first person to successfully manage to rap and sing.

I want some of what he's smoking.
    "There were people who incorporated melody before me," said Drake, "but I would deem myself the first person to successfully rap and sing."

Drizzy says that his singing-meets-rapping style has had a trickledown effect in the Hip Hop community. "Yes, there are aspects of it that are new in the rap world. But it's not a gimmick. I just sort of exist and people embrace it. I'm one of the few artists who gets to be himself every day. It doesn't take me six hours to get ready and I don't have to wake up in the morning and remember to act like this or talk like this. I just have to be me. That's one of the favourite parts of my life - I've done this purely by being myself."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Well it's clear drake has never heard of Bone Thugz n harmony.... Any member of bone thugz is a better singer and rapper than drake. Fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Well it's clear drake has never heard of Bone Thugz n harmony.... Any member of bone thugz is a better singer and rapper than drake. Fact.

Or Lauryn Hill, Mos Def or even Andre 3000. He's just being an arrogant c*nt like always. For gods sake everyone who's into music any bit knows of 3 Stacks.

A lot of Drake's fans are people who haven't a clue about rap (not all of them are like this) and the sad things is that they'll believe him.

"Crossroads" by Bone Thugs is a better song than every single of Drake's songs that he has done and he ever will do.

• Advertisement

"Crossroads" by Bone Thugs is a better song than every single of Drake's songs that he has done and he ever will do.

I was only listening to that earlier, what a brilliant song, from the music video, to the beat and lyrics it's just a solid song.

Havoc says Mobb Deep are on a hiatus and confirms that he blasted Prodigy on Twitter

I honestly thought this was over but it seems to have started all over again.

He's even putting out a diss track about Prodigy on his next album. This is a ridiculous.
    Havoc previously said that his Twitter account was hacked after he allegedly posted tweets putting his Mobb Deep partner Prodigy on blast, but both later denied that there was any beef in the camp.

Now, Hav has confirmed that those tweets came directly from him and that Mobb Deep is on an indefinite break. "The tweets is crazy," he told AllHipHop.com. "And I was speaking of a standpoint of being mad, but still being truthful of how I felt - but it was just the wrong thing to do at the time."

Hav says that Mobb Deep is currently inactive and that the truth will come out regarding what went down between him and Prodigy.

"Right now Mobb Deep is on hiatus, indefinitely…until things get hashed out,” he said. “Eventually, the real story will come out; there’s two sides to every story. Only one has been spoken for.”

Havoc also has a diss record towards Prodigy on the way that will be featured on his upcoming solo album Thirteen.

He's an awful shíthead, seriously. What an immature and poxy thing to do to the man that was alongside him in their rise to fame.

Have lost alot of respect for both Prodigy and Havoc but more so Havoc obviously. These two guys are really embarrassing themselves with this stuff. Like twitter and Mobb Deep shouldn't be in the same sentence. They're not selling any CD's anymore and are relying on the 90's to even stay somewhat relevant now. And how the hell will a diss track 'hash' everything out. For gods sake I hope P doesn't respond on wax. They can't write for death anymore. It'll be just pure embarrassing. I'm really interested in the whole truth though. Eventhough I forgot about this after they denied it I still was adamant something was up. I remember Cormega was talking up about Mobb Deep in the 90's and how he owed them so much and everythin. Why would a guy who is very close to the two say something like that unless he knew the 'truth'? And NORE confirming the audio was Hav then denying it was by saying he did it for a laugh is a horrible excuse. Honestly this is sad day. Alot worse than when the tweets went out. The Infamous is probably my favourite album period but I've lost alot of respect for these two guys. It's crazy how things change though. I always knew P didn't mess with Havoc as much as before but they'd be the last duo you'd think of breaking up like that. Eh whatever. We've got the best they got to offer for life and I don't care really anymore.

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Have lost alot of respect for both Prodigy and Havoc but more so Havoc obviously. These two guys are really embarrassing themselves with this stuff. Like twitter and Mobb Deep shouldn't be in the same sentence. They're not selling any CD's anymore and are relying on the 90's to even stay somewhat relevant now. And how the hell will a diss track 'hash' everything out. For gods sake I hope P doesn't respond on wax. They can't write for death anymore. It'll be just pure embarrassing. I'm really interested in the whole truth though. Eventhough I forgot about this after they denied it I still was adamant something was up. I remember Cormega was talking up about Mobb Deep in the 90's and how he owed them so much and everythin. Why would a guy who is very close to the two say something like that unless he knew the 'truth'? And NORE confirming the audio was Hav then denying it was by saying he did it for a laugh is a horrible excuse. Honestly this is sad day. Alot worse than when the tweets went out. The Infamous is probably my favourite album period but I've lost alot of respect for these two guys. It's crazy how things change though. I always knew P didn't mess with Havoc as much as before but they'd be the last duo you'd think of breaking up like that. Eh whatever. We've got the best they got to offer for life and I don't care really anymore.

why have you lost respect for prodigy?

shame about mobb deep, there black cocaine lp a few months back was pretty good.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    why have you lost respect for prodigy?

Why have I lost respect for Prodigy? Well really it's one of them two of them. In fairness although P is the more innocent of the two here he's still guilty of obviously setting Havoc off about something...he too denied the whole beef back when it surfaced and even posed for a photo at the Knicks game. Why would you do that with the guy who has called you gay and basically made a joke out of P's whole 90's persona. And remember P felt like a don by claiming it was a plan to get publicity and all that. I would really have no problem with that but seeing now it looks that he was lying there too I damn right have lost respect for him. Coming from the guy who infamously (no pun intended) spat 'I got you stuck off the realness' this sounds anything but 'real'. I couldn't give a damn if P is gay. In a way it might be a good thing for Hip Hop although he could be labelled a complete phony because of it. But c'mon the guy is nearly as bad as Havoc in this. I'd rather he would have told the truth on day 1 and just let the fans know whats up instead of dragging this out for way too long. I know Havoc is the cause of re igniting this but as I said above both parties are in the wrong here. This very well could be another stunt by them. I find it a little too ironic that this has re surfaced a few weeks after Prodigys album dropped and just before Havoc's album is dropping. If that right there is true I'm sorry but literally f*ck the pair of them. The Infamous is my favourite album period but I would have no time for people who're desperate for some limelight and don't deserve it and try to get it in sick twisted ways. But yeah I've lost respect for P for his whole part in this saga. Plain and simple.

I think there are a few Breaking Bad fans on here, so I said I'd post this t-shirt design. It's pretty brilliant. Everyone should know where they got the inspiration for it from.

Only €17 as well. I think I might invest in it.

fig,white,mens,ffffff.jpg

http://www.redbubble.com/people/lukeshirt/works/7997964-breaking-bad-mr-white-the-cook?body_color=white&p=t-shirt&print_location=front&size=medium&style=mens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Snoop has undergone a spiritual rebirth in Jamaica. His new name is Snoop Lion. I'm not kidding.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/snoop-no-longer-a-dogg-now-a-lion/story-e6frfn09-1226439599529

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Masked Man wrote: »
    Snoop has undergone a spiritual rebirth in Jamaica. His new name is Snoop Lion. I'm not kidding.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/snoop-no-longer-a-dogg-now-a-lion/story-e6frfn09-1226439599529

There is a documentary coming out about this as well about his time in Jamaica.
    From what I've seen so far, it looks great, and is getting great reviews.
    Not sure about the music that has been released so far, I haven't paid much attention to it yet but it will be interesting to hear.
    He basically didn't want to record another rap album because he is sick of it.

• Advertisement

He has a reggae song doing the rounds ATM which is awful. He's retirement from rap is probably a good thing going by his stuff in recent years, his legacy can't be tarnished anymore than it is from doing those pop and dance songs.

Publicity stunt if you ask me though, snoop doggy dog to snoop dogg now snoop lion ! He's nearly as bad as Puff daddy I mean p diddy or was it diddy ? :D

Exclusive never seen before footage of Eminem laughing. It's around the 2:50 mark in this video.

dont know if there's any documentary heads here but there's a documentary called selling drugs for money coming soon with some hip hop lads ft the real rick ross, 50 cent and eminem for some reason (didnt think he was involved in that trade)

Is that actually real?

If it is I'm surprised that it's being released. The last thing people, like Em and Fiddy, should be doing is glamorising drugs. They did enough of that in their music back in the day. I thought they'd grown out of that nonsense.

Is that actually real?

If it is I'm surprised that it's being released. The last thing people, like Em and Fiddy, should be doing is glamorising drugs. They did enough of that in their music back in the day. I thought they'd grown out of that nonsense.

i dont think there glamorizing drugs, i say its more there experience in dealing them and the effects it had on their lives.

i dont think there glamorizing drugs, i say its more there experience in dealing them and the effects it had on their lives.

"If you know what to do (with 3 and half grams) then you'll be alright" - Fiddy

They may not be fully glamorising it, but the documentary definitely is. Why else would they have Freeway Rick in there saying that he was making a million dollars every day.

I wonder will they point out that he was originally sentenced to life in prison for trying to purchase coke, before it was reduced to 20 years?

The voice-over guy called it an "exciting" global industry. Some of these people seem to believe all that Tony Montana bollicks.

"If you know what to do (with 3 and half grams) then you'll be alright" - Fiddy

They may not be fully glamorising it, but the documentary definitely is. Why else would they have Freeway Rick in there saying that he was making a million dollars every day.

I wonder will they point out that he was originally sentenced to life in prison for trying to purchase coke, before it was reduced to 20 years?

The voice-over guy called it an "exciting" global industry. Some of these people seem to believe all that Tony Montana bollicks.

It's a very harsh reality, there's people out making truck loads and getting away it. Iv seen enough drug docs on addicts with the polices side of things etc Ross kemp style docs.

I'm sure theyll explain freeway ricky Ross's story, it was only a trailer in fairness. As long as its interesting il watch it and tbh it looks alright IMO.

It's a way of life though infact nearly a culture , look how much influence the drug trade has over hip hop, entertainment etc. Selling drugs is some people's Only chance of survival in countries like America in the slums.

I'm sure there going to go into how the drugs and guns get there in the first place but that's opening up a whole differnt can of worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I think there are a few Breaking Bad fans on here, so I said I'd post this t-shirt design. It's pretty brilliant. Everyone should know where they got the inspiration for it from.

Only €17 as well. I think I might invest in it.

fig,white,mens,ffffff.jpg

http://www.redbubble.com/people/lukeshirt/works/7997964-breaking-bad-mr-white-the-cook?body_color=white&p=t-shirt&print_location=front&size=medium&style=mens

Thats great,i'm ordering a hoody! thanks for the link.

It's a very harsh reality, there's people out making truck loads and getting away it. Iv seen enough drug docs on addicts with the polices side of things etc Ross kemp style docs.

I'm sure theyll explain freeway ricky Ross's story, it was only a trailer in fairness. As long as its interesting il watch it and tbh it looks alright IMO.

It's a way of life though infact nearly a culture , look how much influence the drug trade has over hip hop, entertainment etc. Selling drugs is some people's Only chance of survival in countries like America in the slums.

I'm sure there going to go into how the drugs and guns get there in the first place but that's opening up a whole differnt can of worms.

I'll hold my opinion until I see the final thing. Hopefully they show both sides to the story.

• Advertisement

This is the 3rd highest viewed video on Youtube featuring The Roots.

I don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. At least it introduces more people to them I suppose.

The video itself is great. Questlove is playing a guiro with his afro pick. The dude in the back left is brilliant, just bobbing his head from side to side.

Advertisement