Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭dzilla

Just had yet another great Mclearys. Fish and Colcannon, absolutely fantastic. great lunch menu in there. Love the new location.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

theres a Chinese or Asian restaurant going down next to the fourm where Dennision Was.

The most recent place i was in was the City Arms which i didnt really like. i only got Goujons and Mash but the plate was cold and the mash was in a big blop not the scoop portions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

We went to the Chinese over the Uluru on Saturday evening. It used to be the Fan Dynasty, I think it's called Golden Jade. They have a great early bird, or Happy Hour, as they call it, from half five to half seven, even on Saturdays. Only €12.50 for a main, with rice, and €4 for starters. Everything was priced separately, so you can have a really cheap meal if you just want mains. We had both starters and mains, and treated ourselves to a beer, and still came out under forty euro. Nice stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyman

Was in Burzza this week for the first time and got the pizza with chicken, chorizo and peppers. It was a good size (was stuffed after it) and was very tasty. Good job.

Had a couple of Metalman Pale Ales (Metalmen) to go with it. Great to be able to get this beer in a restaurant. Although it is expensive at €5.50 for a small 330ml glass so wouldn't be having anymore than one or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

2 weeks since a post in this once popular thread. Is the restaurant scene in Waterford dying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

2 weeks since a post in this once popular thread. Is the restaurant scene in Waterford dying?

The Waterford city fourm is dying lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm going to Loko tomorrow night for the first time, I'll give feedback then. ;)

I was in Momo tonight. We had a sharing platter and two scrumptious desserts. I fully recommend the chocolate pot!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭psnKOB79LFC

deisemum wrote: »
    I'm going to Loko tomorrow night for the first time, I'll give feedback then. ;)

Been in Loko numerous times; love it. I usually order 6/7 smaller bites between two of us. Also lovely food for kids.

^ above; ah Mcleary love ins continue... a lump of steak and food from 1980s and still gets good reviews? Prefer carvery

Been in Loko numerous times; love it. I usually order 6/7 smaller bites between two of us. Also lovely food for kids.

^ above; ah Mcleary love ins continue... a lump of steak and food from 1980s and still gets good reviews? Prefer carvery

I'm going to McCleary's next Thursday. The person organising the outing was there a few weeks ago and said it was great.

Don't know what to think. I'll report back.

(Nothing per se wrong with food from the eighties...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Was in McLeary's a few weeks ago. It was only ok. We were situated in the back part on the ground floor. People kept going out for cigarettes every few minutes, leaving the door wide open - and it was a cold night. A waitress had to go over nearly every 5 minutes to close it. Really annoying. I never knew so many people went for cigarette breaks during a dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Baby4 wrote: »
    I'm going to La Fontana tonight for the first time. Looking forward to trying it!

On a side note - I see that Loko has made it in to the Top 100 Irish Attractions...http://www.top100attractions.com/item/loko.html

I was there Monday ,excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

La Fontana is an underrated gem of a place I find, you rarely hear it mentioned when people are discussing places to eat. I suppose with the likes of Emiliano's, La Palma and for a different market Harlequin to compete with not to mention Espresso it is probably easy to get lost!

Never had a bad meal there

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

La Fontana is an underrated gem of a place I find, you rarely hear it mentioned when people are discussing places to eat. I suppose with the likes of Emiliano's, La Palma and for a different market Harlequin to compete with not to mention Espresso it is probably easy to get lost!

Never had a bad meal there

Only thing is, it's not run by Italians, which puts me off a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Whats 1980's food? :confused:

Whats 1980's food? :confused:

Typical 1980's food included things like prawn cocktail with Marie Rose, Florida or grapefruit salad, egg mayonnaise with paprika and anchovies on top, pate with Melba toast, vol au vonts for starters.

Mains would include things like stuffed chicken breasts wrapped in ham, chicken cordon bleu, breaded plaice, duck a l'Orange, Steak Diane, Beef Wellington, steak au poivre, salmon en croute.

Dessert included black forest gateau, crepe suzette, bavrois, profiteroles, lots of different gateaux.

Wine was usually Blue Nun or Black Tower.

Typical 1980's food included things like prawn cocktail with Marie Rose, Florida or grapefruit salad, egg mayonnaise with paprika and anchovies on top, pate with Melba toast, vol au vonts for starters.

Mains would include things like stuffed chicken breasts wrapped in ham, chicken cordon bleu, breaded plaice, duck a l'Orange, Steak Diane, Beef Wellington, steak au poivre, salmon en croute.

Dessert included black forest gateau, crepe suzette, bavrois, profiteroles, lots of different gateaux.

I thought that was more seventies than eighties.

katydid wrote: »
    I thought that was more seventies than eighties.

Those dishes might have started in the seventies but they were on most menus in the eighties. I went to a Hotel & Catering college from 1983 - 1984 and worked in the hotel trade for a while and those dishes were the norm.

Those dishes might have started in the seventies but they were on most menus in the eighties. I went to a Hotel & Catering college from 1983 - 1984 and worked in the hotel trade for a while and those dishes were the norm.
    I just remember some of them that my mum used to do in the seventies

• Advertisement

katydid wrote: »
    Only thing is, it's not run by Italians, which puts me off a bit

How come?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

How come?

Well, I'd prefer the real thing. Mind you, maybe the chefs are Italian, not sure about that.

I went to Loko for the first time last night and loved everything about it. Excellent food, service and a great buzz, looking forward to going back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

You forgot...Orange juice on the starter menu!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

KevIRL wrote: »
    You forgot...Orange juice on the starter menu!

And baked alaska

wellboytoo wrote: »
    And baked alaska

Ah but they did baked Alaska properly in those days; a quick flash in the oven. Now they cheat and use blow torches!

wellboytoo wrote: »
    And baked alaska

Ah now I've got a longing for a proper Baked Alaska. I had one earlier this year when I was on a cruise, the lights were turned down and a procession of waiters carried them out with them lit just like they used to do at weddings and dinner dancers, it looked impressive but didn't taste as good as they were back in the 80's, it was very synthetic tasting. I see the Bay Tree Bistro have it one their menu every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Ah now I've got a longing for a proper Baked Alaska. I had one earlier this year when I was on a cruise, the lights were turned down and a procession of waiters carried them out with them lit just like they used to do at weddings and dinner dancers, it looked impressive but didn't taste as good as they were back in the 80's, it was very synthetic tasting. I see the Bay Tree Bistro have it one their menu every now and again.

I know it's not in Waterford but Zuni in Kilkenny do an amazing lemon meringue baked Alaska.. To be fair everything in Zuni is amazing

Have only been to Zuni once, and wouldn't return. The food was excellent though, it was another issue that left the sour taste and made it so none of our group would ever go back.

• Advertisement

Have only been to Zuni once, and wouldn't return. The food was excellent though, it was another issue that left the sour taste and made it so none of our group would ever go back.
    Can you give us a hint....?

Advertisement