Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using an unknown USB Stick

Options
  • 21-05-2015 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

What precautions should you take nowadays using one?

Is a scan with an AV enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Assume that it's set to run:
    deltree /y C:\*.*
    sudo rm -rf /

as soon as it's connected (a very real possibility: https://srlabs.de/badusb/). So no, an AV scan wouldn't be enough

The only truely effective defence would be inserting it into an air-gapped and disposable computer, retrieving the firmware from the device and analysing it for harmful code

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

What precautions should you take nowadays using one?

Is a scan with an AV enough?

No. Thats like finding a used condom and running it under the tap for a minute.
    The only truely effective defence would be inserting it into an air-gapped and disposable computer, retrieving the firmware from the device and analysing it for harmful code

The only truly effective defense would be not using USB keys of unknown origins at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭whats newxt

I'd be careful i'v been using the USB rubber ducky for some time now, It's an amazing little device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

If you have Linux could you not just mount it from the terminal without booting into a desktop environment? Should allow you to examine the files and only copy the ones which you need? Or perhaps I'm being naive?

Edit : My August colleague has suggested using a Linux "Live" CD to examine the contents of the file, fairly limited damage you can do to an Operating System that will vanish when you power off the machine...!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

syklops wrote: »
    No. Thats like finding a used condom and running it under the tap for a minute.

Er, a 'FRIEND' of mine ran it under the tap for 3 minutes. Do you reckon I, I mean he, will be OK?:confused:

• Advertisement

anvilfour wrote: »
    If you have Linux could you not just mount it from the terminal without booting into a desktop environment? Should allow you to examine the files and only copy the ones which you need? Or perhaps I'm being naive?

What if its not a USB stick but its a rubber ducky and runs rm -rf / or it backdoors your system so quickly you don't notice?
    Edit : My August colleague has suggested using a Linux "Live" CD to examine the contents of the file, fairly limited damage you can do to an Operating System that will vanish when you power off the machine...!

A LiveCD is a good option just make sure your drives are encrypted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭28064212

If you have Linux could you not just mount it from the terminal without booting into a desktop environment? Should allow you to examine the files and only copy the ones which you need?
    No. A BadUSB attack can essentially act as a pre-programmed keyboard. Imagine Eve comes along with a keyboard, plugs it in to your machine while you're logged on, and starts typing. How would you prevent them from executing commands?
    That assumes that the USB key can't get near the BIOS/bootloader, which would be a mistake

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    No. A BadUSB attack can essentially act as a pre-programmed keyboard. Imagine Eve comes along with a keyboard, plugs it in to your machine while you're logged on, and starts typing. How would you prevent them from executing commands?

That assumes that the USB key can't get near the BIOS/bootloader, which would be a mistake

Think I prefer my chances with the Live CD.. I'm lucky enough to keep my /boot partition on a separate USB as mentioned in separate thread.. it was damned difficult to do this though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Does plugging in a phone and using it's memory card carry the same risks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Does plugging in a phone and using it's memory card carry the same risks?

Yup, very little difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

wasn't there talk of using a usb device to change the firmware of the usb port its self as it is not scanned by antivirus and from there compromising the system.

or did one of you already say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

It'd be priceless if this came back to bite this w@nker at some stage in the future.

http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=18983

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Kiosk styled OS as per the lads above no write possible , VM with direct map of the hardware interrupt to the VM only (Still dodgy for hiddne payloads and nesting machine) . Personlly i would never ever pick one up , Even if in the car park id probably stomp it to bits just to preserve the silly types passing after me .

A USB Condom! How novel! :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

How about swapping out your HDD with a drive you can afford to loose and then interrogate the contents to determine the risk?

ejabrod wrote: »
    How about swapping out your HDD with a drive you can afford to loose and then interrogate the contents to determine the risk?

What if there is malware on the USB stick which can infect the firmware of your graphics card or BIOS? You put your regular HDD back in, and that gets infected too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

What if there is malware on the USB stick which can infect the firmware of your graphics card or BIOS? You put your regular HDD back in, and that gets infected too.

Beat me to it ...... Gotta get a rubber ducky !!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

as others have pointed out the worst cases

someone has wired a USB ioniser to send a couple of hundred volts back into the data pins and you need a new motherboard.

or the USB key has a firmware patch for the USB chip on the motherboard. Since this happens at a hardware level it's happened before software is even aware of the key. Note Windows will automatically install a HUD , human interface device, without asking for permission. Attacker can now emulate a keyboard/mouse.

A lot of systems will boot from a USB key so if you leave the key in on a reboot you are also asking for trouble.

One sneaky project had a usb key with a light sensor. So while the lights were on it pretended to be plain vanilla USB key. But once the lights went out ...

How paranoid do you want to be ?

Advertisement