Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheaper prescriptions thread [No imports discussion]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Just got a price on one of the normal items on my prescription form healthwave.
    €129.95. €7.85 for my ibuprofen. One more item, a patent medicine, look extremely likely I would bust the €144 monthly cap. No benefit for me in any circumstance in paying €25 membership by the looks of things.
    €19.95 per 60 of my third medicine. I need 180 of these a month. Just shy of €200. Looked at UK prices too, not much different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Perkins135

How does Healthwave work? Do they post it out or do you have to go to Dundrum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

Good in theory. Had a bad experience in there though. Waiting around for 40 mins, told about 3 times that it would be 5 more mins. Eventually left empty handed. Didn't seem overly-professionally run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Perkins135 wrote: »
    How does Healthwave work? Do they post it out or do you have to go to Dundrum?

Go to Dundrum. It is illegal to supply prescription drugs by post in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

If anyone is going to dundrum ring tesco tallaght and ask them how much it will cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭Soarer

RainyDay wrote: »
    Go to Dundrum. It is illegal to supply prescription drugs by post in Ireland.

Only by An Post though. AFAIK you can get them couriered.

Soarer wrote: »

I didn't think so, but funnily enough, this article about Healthwave mentions a courier service;

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2014/0117/ireland/pharmacy-with-cross-border-price-matching-to-offer-national-delivery-255566.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

I didn't think so, but funnily enough, this article about Healthwave mentions a courier service;

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2014/0117/ireland/pharmacy-with-cross-border-price-matching-to-offer-national-delivery-255566.html

No, no distinction in law between An Post and couriers, i.e. equally illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭fulhamfan

Thanks Cygnet, after my last post I read your copy of the article on the Hilltop Pharmacy in Raheny and decided to try there as its way nearer than Dundrum. Went in this morning and asked for six month supply of my meds. Short of two but offered to drop into my house on their way home and having just compared what I paid 170,28 to what I would normally pay, I'm happy out. in total I saved 165.35 so near enough 50% off. Small chemist but service and prices great plus no membership or anything like that. Can't recommend enough, maybe finally the prices of drugs in Ireland will be near as makes no difference to that of our neighbours!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

Got my prescription filled by Tesco pharmacy in the Square, Tallaght, last time I travelled to Newry for a 6 X 28 day supply cost £120.00, today for 6 X 30 day supply of same medication 125.00, used to pay €49.50 in my local pharmacy for a 28 day supply.

Got a price from Healthwave for the same medication, similar price as tesco for two items and they did not have a price for another, after adding annual fee price would be higher than Tesco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Wife went into Healthwave when they first hit the media few months back, left copy of prescription with them and never heard a word back. She hits the €144 limit most months so any savings would have been great.

Have got her prescription up in NI a few times but there was always questions over getting the full 3 months dispensed unless it specifically said 90 tablets etc as opposed to 3 x 30 repeat. GP's don't seem to want to do this as it may allow you get all up front and diddle the HSE limit.

Anyway, told her to go to doc and tell him that she was getting all abroad and sure enough he wrote out full 6 month prescription. She is in Tenerife this week and looks like she can get 6 months for circa €80 - as opposed to €864 over next 6 months.

Moral is story is see if you can get 6 month prescription and pay for a holiday to Tenerife, and get all meds whilst out there. It is really infuriating how we get ripped off here. Just simple as putting in a Google search for pharmacies near where your staying - Yelp will come up with all the results. Ring ahead and e-mail copies of prescription to ensure they can dispense it and order in anything needed.

Hope this helps someone out there.;)

pauleoin wrote: »
    Got my prescription filled by Tesco pharmacy in the Square, Tallaght, last time I travelled to Newry for a 6 X 28 day supply cost £120.00, today for 6 X 30 day supply of same medication 125.00, used to pay €49.50 in my local pharmacy for a 28 day supply.

Got a price from Healthwave for the same medication, similar price as tesco for two items and they did not have a price for another, after adding annual fee price would be higher than Tesco

Tesco pharmacy are the best and don't forget to use your club card to get your points!! The pharmacist is actually very good there too if you need to ask any questions :)

Millem wrote: »
    Tesco pharmacy are the best and don't forget to use your club card to get your points!! The pharmacist is actually very good there too if you need to ask any questions :)

No, you can't.

No, you can't.

Well I did :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

As did I.

• Advertisement

http://www.tesco.ie/clubcard/what/
    Sorry, points are not awarded on tobacco or tobacco related products, lottery, stamps, prescription medicines, infant formulae milk, Tesco Gift Cards, saving stamps, in store concessions or for purchases of some Tesco Bank products.

I can just tell you I used it and it went through! I was suprised as I don't get points on baby's formula. Maybe it's just on some perscriptions or maybe in tallaght it works? In fact the woman ahead of me used a supervalu €8 off €50 coupon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭SteM

Report in today's Indo says that HealthWave will be offering delivery from today. Up to 4 deliveries free per year with membership and if you need more it will be €5 per delivery I think it said.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Lillian123

Healthwave are now offering €5 off membership, PM for the discount code if thinking of signing up you will get it for €20!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭4arc

Hi OP,

Do you still have a valid discount code please?

• Advertisement

4arc wrote: »
    Hi OP,

I do if you want it.

As an aside, got my prescription filled by HealthWave yesterday when up in Dublin. My usual prescription is €144 per month (when I can afford it!), but with a mixture of branded and generic, it came in at €80.74 with HealthWave!
    Contacted my local pharmacy today looking for a price for the exact same "mixed" prescription, and their price was just over €122!
    So a saving of over €60 per month on my usual amount, and over €40 per month on my new local reduced rate. TBH, that's the difference between able to afford it every month and letting every other month slide.

4arc wrote: »
    Hi OP,

Hey 4arc, here is a code <Snip> for €5 off healthwave membership

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

If anyone wants a code for €5 off the subscription just pm me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Started going down the north once a month for my prescription, was €24.50 for my prescription in Drogheda . £3.95 in the north which is roughly a €5.00. Also do top up on other stuff when there like antihistamine's a 30 pack is £2.49 again converted about €3.50. 30 pk paracetamol £.69p again about €1.00

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭whackball

Wifes meds usually cost the €144 limit per month and thats a crazy amount over the course of the year. Even thought she sees her Consultant every 6 months and he issues a 6 monthly prescription, the pharmacy will only dispense it monthly.

What pharmacy up north do people on here use/recommend, preferably in Newry ?

Would you ring ahead to make sure they stock your meds etc ?

Thanks.

Whackball

whackball wrote: »
    Wifes meds usually cost the €144 limit per month and thats a crazy amount over the course of the year. Even thought she sees her Consultant every 6 months and he issues a 6 monthly prescription, the pharmacy will only dispense it monthly.

The pharmacy can only operate within the limits of the drugs payment scheme. You can buy six months in one go but it's going to be a lot more than 6 X 144.

Have you asked your current pharmacy about generics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Thanks.

Whackball

hi i use mckeevers in newry, seem to be very reasonable . You could ring before you go up and price the drugs im sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭leesadin

Thanks.

Whackball

By any chance is your wife on high tech items?? But as the other poster said the dps will only allow one months dispensing at a time.. The government will not cough up the balance if any more than 1 months supply is provided... It seems that a lot of you are from Dublin and maybe the Dublin pharmacys haven't been passing on their discounts from the generic companies... In most rural areas the discount has been passed on to customers for ages now... And even where doctors prescribe branded a generic (where available) has always been offered to patients...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

There is a new Pharmacy in Cootehill in Cavan called Markey's and they only charge half the prescription charge that others charge...i.e-if your normal prescription on medical card has 4 items it should be 10 euro but Markeys only charge 5 euro...dont know how long this will last but its better in my pocket...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

muincav wrote: »
    There is a new Pharmacy in Cootehill in Cavan called Markey's and they only charge half the prescription charge that others charge...i.e-if your normal prescription on medical card has 4 items it should be 10 euro but Markeys only charge 5 euro...dont know how long this will last but its better in my pocket...;)

Wouldn't have thought that will last very long as other pharmacies got into trouble before for not charging the full amount for DPS as it's a government levy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭leesadin

If this is your pharmacy you should definitely delete this post.. It's illegal for pharmacys not to collect the government levy on medical card prescriptions and if they are found out they could get in an awful lot of trouble.. And possibly lose the pharmacy.. So for both your sake if and theirs ya should delete this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It'll last until their GMS contract is removed and you can't get medical card prescriptions there - and that won't be long either by the sounds of things.

leesadin wrote: »
    If this is your pharmacy you should definitely delete this post.. It's illegal for pharmacys not to collect the government levy on medical card prescriptions and if they are found out they could get in an awful lot of trouble.. And possibly lose the pharmacy.. So for both your sake if and theirs ya should delete this..

You've quoted it now, so it doesn't matter if he deletes it or not.

Also, I assume the pharmacy in question is paying the difference, so why would the government care where it's coming from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

You've quoted it now, so it doesn't matter if he deletes it or not.

Also, I assume the pharmacy in question is paying the difference, so why would the government care where it's coming from?

They were very quick to step in when one of the chains said they would continue charging customers the old DPS threshold amount and pay the difference themselves a few years ago, so presume this will be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

If anyone wants a code for 5 euro off the membership just pm me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Bump!

I just signed up to the one in Galway & they are offering family membership for €30 instead of €60. They also offer 10% off over the counter meds as part of the membership.

My bp tabs cost around €34 in boots, €24 in Healthwave for same brand & €13 for Generics in Healthwave!

I've a refferal code which gets me €25 in store credit and gets you €10 in store credit if anybody wants to give me free money they can pm me for details :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 charmicat

Any referral/discount code for Healthwave (Dublin)?

charmicat wrote: »
    Any referral/discount code for Healthwave (Dublin)?

I've sent you my referral code by PM, which will get you €5 off the membership fee, and give me €10 off my next script.

I'd be happy to send to anyone else too, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

My monthly prescription was costing me about €40+ (€480 PA) these are BP meds and Zantac, but I got my Doctor to change it to generics and started going up to McKeevers in Newry, they would gave me 6 months worth for about £100 GBP but recently I started getting it at Tesco (Dublin) and the price is now less than €100,
    I usually check prices before I buy, my local chemist quoted me €150 but the dearest was Boots who wanted €203, they simply multiplied the monthly cost including the prescription charge X 6 where Tesco only charged it once

The trick is to shop around, the difference in Sterling now makes Newry a dearer option, not to mention the cost of travelling there,
    dont be afraid to price before you buy and give your local pharmacy a chance before you go further afield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Guys does anyone know if Healthwave will give you a price check on drugs without joining? I want to see if it is worth doing before joining (specifically for lyrica).

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Their prices are online

https://healthwave.ie/price-list/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Thanks PJ but that's only a selection I think? They don't have lyrica listed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

Yes - just give them a buzz and they'll let you know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭fulhamfan

Depending on where you live, you might want to try the Hilltop Pharmacy in Raheny. No joining fee and I have found them cheaper than Healthwave and needless to say way way cheaper than the normal guys. Also tried the North but no use as they will not substitute generic items where they don't stock the named drug. One example is an Epi Pen for folk with allergies. Main chemist 120, Healthwave 74 and Hilltop 49. Given I needed two this was a substantial saving and the Hilltop one was way better than the main chemist one as it came in a case.

All the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Guys does anyone know if Healthwave will give you a price check on drugs without joining? I want to see if it is worth doing before joining (specifically for lyrica).

Thanks

Depending on the strength of the lyrica, some strenghts cost price is over the 144 DPS limit.
    Unfortunately the generic isn't licensed for neuropathic pain

• Advertisement

I've sent you my referral code by PM, which will get you €5 off the membership fee, and give me €10 off my next script.

I'd be happy to send to anyone else too, of course.

I found out the nice way that they actually give you €10 off the membership fee, and give me €25 off my next script, so I'm very, very happy to send anyone else the referral code by PM.

For anyone signing up to Healthwave I have a referral code for €10 off the membership, so would reduce it to €15 for the year.

PM if interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

I was paying nearly 50 euro a month for blood pressure tablets and statins for high cholesterol, I am now paying 15 euro in Pure Pharmacy, Collins Avenue, near Donnycarney church. They also have other branches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I see Healthwave also now offer 6 free deliveries per annum, used to be 4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

vicwatson wrote: »
    I see Healthwave also now offer 6 free deliveries per annum, used to be 4.
    That's great news - I don't know they manage to make money on this, but they do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement