Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cafe Charging you to drink your own drink a

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I can understand them charging if they have beer and you choose to bring yourown but if they don't have beer then what are you meant to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I can understand them charging if they have beer and you choose to bring your own but if they don't have beer then what are you meant to do?

Either pay corkage or take your business elsewhere. This sounds like someone walking into a chipper and complaining that they can't have steak or caviar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

No, but if a family of 5 come in for dinner and spend €70 I do

Why don't your family eat your dinner in the cafe and then move to the nearest field to drink the cans? ......this will save you having to pay corkage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

But they don't sell drink other than wine so your allowed but thu charge 1.50 per drink
    So what beer did you bring in? how much did it cost you? How much would you have been willing/expecting to pay in the cafe for the same thing?

€1.50 is cheap, I wish my local pub that would let me bring in my own drink and charge only 1.50 per drink. It would also allow me to have the beers I prefer, and not be limited to their appalling small selection.
    OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I can understand them charging if they have beer and you choose to bring yourown but if they don't have beer then what are you meant to do?
    I would guess they do not have beer since they have no beer licence, some do not want to pay for one or are possibly not eligible. I knew a guy working in a restaurant and said nearly all of them in the area only had wine licences.

McDonalds have no beer either, would you also ask "what are you meant to do". Most cafes I know would not let you drink you beer, this sounds like a great find. Where is it? there is no naming & shaming going on here.

Op said himself "Food is lovely, place is lovely,and all that."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fair enough, but if your legally aloud to drink, you don't want to go out for dinner and have a glass of coke..

And yet countless people do, I guess not everyone feels the need to drink alcohol just because they are over 18

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

any chance the OP could tell us where this place is and the name - most posters seem to agree its excellent idea and great value and as the OP said, the food was very good too.

If it were near me, I'd love to go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Meal for 5 for €70 is some value. What the imperative to have beer with the meal is all about defeats me though. Those prices suggest a cheap cafe. Why would a cafe be expected to serve beer? The corkage of 1.50 is very cheap. Overall it sounds like a cheap joint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

If I'm aloud to name it I will,

Is that ok mods ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Maybe your aloud but I'm not sure you're allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Please don't name the business in question.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Seventy euro fed FIVE of you, and you're complaining about a cheap corkage charge? Jesus christ, 70 quid is nothing for meals for five people!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

Maybe your aloud but I'm not sure you're allowed.

Maybe you're able to correct people's grammar, but I'm not sure you should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

There is a little cafe, pizza/ tapas type place , I went to tonight for dinner. Food is lovely, place is lovely,and all that.
    But they don't have a bar only sell wine.
    Your allowed to bring your own cans/bottles of beer to drink but they charge you €1.50 to drink your own beer that you brought.
    This has to be the handiest few quid they will ever make.

Who is forcing you to eat there? Let's get to the root of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Stavro Mueller & @kc90 - Commenting on people's spelling is not cool or constructive. Please don't post unless you're adding to the conversation.

dudara

Advertisement