Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cafe Charging you to drink your own drink a

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

I spent time with a family in South Africa and they would never order anything off the wine list in a restaurant ... before going out they would take a couple of selected bottles from their wine cellar and pay the corkage in the restaurant. They spent time collecting their wine and preferred having the choice of their own collection when eating out

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well they don't have a bar licence, so what am I meant to drink ?

soft drinks, tea, coffee, water?

Not everyone needs to drink alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Can you be charged corkage on cans, if you drink from them and recycle them yourself when done?

just a random thought...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Cabaal wrote: »
    soft drinks, tea, coffee, water?

Not everyone needs to drink alcohol

Fair enough, but if your legally aloud to drink, you don't want to go out for dinner and have a glass of coke..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Senna wrote: »
    , but I think the charge "could" be illegal. The premises doesn't have a licence, unlike a hotel were corkage is common, so charges related to alcohol could be a breech??
    FFS - Illegal?

Please please show me the law they are breaking? or "could" be breaking!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Fair enough, but if you're legally allowed to drink, you don't want to go out for dinner and have a glass of coke..

Then you look more carefully at the drinks menu before you decide to eat there. I once saw a thread on boards where someone bought food in a shop and tried to eat it in a nearby coffee shop. They were seriously teed off that the coffee shop owner was having none of it. I'm not sure there's an awful lot of difference really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Fair enough, but if your legally aloud to drink, you don't want to go out for dinner and have a glass of coke..

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

lycan238 wrote: »
    I assume the fee is related to the glass you drink out off, the cost related to washing said glass and the disposal of bottle/can. You mention the comment 'what am I meant to drink ?' How about tea/coffee or a soft drink? You could always have an alcoholic drink when you return home.
    Its called corkage. Extremely common practice, particularly for weddings.

I actually forgot the 'corkage' element of the charge. Yes its very common.
    I'd call that extortion:(. Next they'll be charging you to pee:rolleyes:.
    They already do in Amsterdam... and not even just for someone walking in off the street which is understandable.

50c and somebody collects it so its not avoidable like the shopping centres do her occasionally.

Defo the scabbiest charge I've encountered.

This I think will become a lot more common in the future here in Ireland. I actually know of one place that charges for access to the toilets but if you purchase any drink in one of the many cafe's in the location you dont pay to access the toilets ie if you have lunch out in the location you dont have to pay to use the toilets. If you walk off the street looking to use the toilets you pay 20c. You show them your receipt to prove purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Can you be charged corkage on cans, if you drink from them and recycle them yourself when done?

just a random thought...

"Screwtop wine. No cork man! No corkage fee!" - failed customer excuse I heard once.

You could have had wine.

Or you could have chosen to eat somewhere that serves beer.

Honestly can't see the issue.

It's a common practice

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    "Screwtop wine. No cork man! No corkage fee!" - failed customer excuse I heard once.

You could have had wine.

Or you could have chosen to eat somewhere that serves beer.

Honestly can't see the issue.

It's a common practice

I'm not a wine drinker, and btw what eatery in Ireland doesn't sell beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm not a wine drinker, and btw what eatery in Ireland doesn't sell beer.
    Plenty actually!

TheChizler wrote: »
    Plenty actually!

I don't mean to sound real naive, but that's actually the first I have heard.
    Don't get me wrong it was a lovely place with lovely food and I would go again, I just thaught it was a little cheeky charging you to BYOD.
    I never heard of the term "corkage" before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brodick

I don't mean to sound real naive, but that's actually the first I have heard.
    Don't get me wrong it was a lovely place with lovely food and I would go again, I just thaught it was a little cheeky charging you to BYOD.
    I never heard of the term "corkage" before now.
    Maybe you need to get out more. Corkage is as old as the hills.
    It's a great idea and usually works out cheaper for the customer. It's also good for the restaurant as they don't have to carry stock.
    The restaurant owner has to pay rent, rates, staff wages, PRSI, light heat and power.
    When you eat there you are renting space from them and they need to recover their costs.
    Many restaurants go bust because the margins are tight. Give them a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

This corkage lark is just like Ticketmaster adding booking fees and C.C. charges. IIRC it started with hotels charging it at weddings. Not alone did the sell the plonk, they charged for pouring it. Now it has spread to some restaurants. What else could you call it, but extortion.

It's not extortion.

It reminds me of a (very) small cafe/sandwich shop owner that I know. He has a shop in a small office park and relies on office workers coming in each day for coffee/sambos etc to keep afloat.

I was having a chat with him and he said people often come in to the cafe and ask him for a slice of bread and not expect to pay for it because "it's only a slice of bread". Another person used to come in with their own pastry and ask him to put cheese on it and toast it for them for nothing! He ended up charging 50 cent each for these requests and proper order too!

These are largely small business owners who are struggling to stay afloat.

A person who brings their own beer must realise that the cafe owner is paying for heating, rent, rates, recycling/waste disposal etc etc and for this reason a small corkage fee is well justified in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

I think the OP's a teenager so it's quite possible he has never heard of corkage :)

I think the OP's a teenager so it's quite possible he has never heard of corkage :)

Yes I'm only 18. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The Clue was in his earlier post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

braddun wrote: »
    most places have a corkage charge 1.50 is cheap
    +1, this thread belongs in bargain alerts!

Is this a 1.50 flat fee or per drink?

Even as a per drink charge its relatively cheap compared to what a cafe would charge.

I know people who go to BYO places and end up saving money, some places will put your bottles in the fridge for you. These people would split a bottle of vodka & a 2L of coke. They were able to order their own drink and waiters would put it in glasses with ice & lemon.

A bottle of vodka & coke and be got for about €20 if an offer is on, a bottle of tesco rum (surprisingly good) and real coke would have been €13.70 recently.

The local pub would be €3.85 per shot & €2.85 per 200ml coke, this works out as over €100 to buy 700ml of vodka & 2L of coke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Ah bless, the OP will learn in time that he spotted a bargain.

My guess is he is still in school and possibly not earning yet. Maybe he'll get a part-time job in a shop or pub and get paid "wages".

Someday he'll realise his wages come from customers who pay a a price higher than it cost the shop/pub to buy in the product he is serving so that they can be served by the OP and the OP can be paid for providing that service. Part of what they pay will also pay the landlord for the premises, ESB for the light & heat, the council for rates, the furniture compnay for the seats etc etc.

Someday, the OP will realise he came upon a bargain! - Not a rip-off.

delahuntv wrote: »
    Ah bless, the OP will learn in time that he spotted a bargain.

My guess is he is still in school and possibly not earning yet. Maybe he'll get a part-time job in a shop or pub and get paid "wages".

Someday he'll realise his wages come from customers who pay a a price higher than it cost the shop/pub to buy in the product he is serving so that they can be served by the OP and the OP can be paid for providing that service. Part of what they pay will also pay the landlord for the premises, ESB for the light & heat, the council for rates, the furniture compnay for the seats etc etc.

Someday, the OP will realise he came upon a bargain! - Not a rip-off.

I'm in college and have recently got a part time job :)😜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

There is a little cafe, pizza/ tapas type place , I went to tonight for dinner. Food is lovely, place is lovely,and all that.
    But they don't have a bar only sell wine.
    Your allowed to bring your own cans/bottles of beer to drink but they charge you €1.50 to drink your own beer that you brought.
    This has to be the handiest few quid they will ever make.

You are paying for the glass it was served in, the seat you sat on, the light that meant you could see said drink........ oh and also the heat that kept you warm while you drank your own beer.

You are paying for the glass it was served in, the seat you sat on, the light that meant you could see said drink........ oh and also the heat that kept you warm while you drank your own beer.

So what were we paying for with the rest of our €70 dinner bill ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Your food!

Seriously do you really think you can walk in to a cafe and drink your own beer for free?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

We told you. The corkage...

Your food!

Seriously do you really think you can walk in to a cafe and drink your own beer for free?!

No, but if a family of 5 come in for dinner and spend €70 I do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

No, but if a family of 5 come in for dinner and spend €70 I do

OP - why don't you read through the thread again? You've been told over and over that the restaurant is entitled to charge corkage if you bring your own drink. You've also been told how corkage works. The food bill is a separate issue.

Now - if you don't like the idea of corkage? You're quite entitled to take your custom elsewhere. Plenty of restaurants where you can eat and pay restaurant prices for drinking there if they have a licence. E70 for five people ex drinks is a very cheap bill. Hence the corkage...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Ran a restaurant for 8 years, never allowed people to bring their own drink. Most of the profit came from drink.

On a separate issue I was always in control of what people drank, things never got out of control.

On a personal level I would not bring drink to a restaurant myself either.

ebbsy wrote: »
    Ran a restaurant for 8 years, never allowed people to bring their own drink. Most of the profit came from drink.

On a separate issue I was always in control of what people drank, things never got out of control.

On a personal level I would not bring drink to a restaurant myself either.

But they don't sell drink other than wine so your allowed but thu charge 1.50 per drink

Staff
    Produce
    Light/Heat
    Taxes
    Levies
    More taxes

That is what you are paying for.

• Advertisement

It's not extortion.

It reminds me of a (very) small cafe/sandwich shop owner that I know. He has a shop in a small office park and relies on office workers coming in each day for coffee/sambos etc to keep afloat.

I was having a chat with him and he said people often come in to the cafe and ask him for a slice of bread and not expect to pay for it because "it's only a slice of bread". Another person used to come in with their own pastry and ask him to put cheese on it and toast it for them for nothing! He ended up charging 50 cent each for these requests and proper order too!

These are largely small business owners who are struggling to stay afloat.

A person who brings their own beer must realise that the cafe owner is paying for heating, rent, rates, recycling/waste disposal etc etc and for this reason a small corkage fee is well justified in my opinion.

Great post.

Advertisement