Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stalled weight loss

Options
  • 09-07-2015 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭

Over the past few months i have been using myfitnesspal to track my calories with great success. The App suggested 1700 calories / day which I religiously stuck to and lost 17lbs. I'm now at 210lbs and have been for the past few weeks with no change, i have started to add some cardio and strength training into the mix 2 days a week, but still no change. Any suggestions on how to kick start my weight loss again?

Im 39, 5'11" in height with a fairly sedentary job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Re-examine your calorie target. You might have to reduce it by a bit. Lift heavier or do short intense cardio. What's your water in take like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

how much less than 1700, isn't that pushing it too low? My water intake is poor most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

First off, congrats on the weight loss.

The problem is likely that the lighter you are, the lower your calorie requirements are.

So 1700 may have been a deficit at your old weight but it might only be maintenance now.

Try dropping it by 100-200 and see what happens over a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

xabi wrote: »
    how much less than 1700, isn't that pushing it too low? My water intake is poor most days.

Increase your water intake. You could be holding on to water and while it might sound counter productive, drinking more water can stop that retention.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DarkoT

You're probably eating the wrong food, you should improve your nutrition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

DarkoT wrote: »
    You're probably eating the wrong food, you should improve your nutrition.

Marvellous.

Do you have a newsletter I could subscribe to?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭donmaga1

Well done on the weight loss.

Try Adding vitamin C to your diet. A glass a days is good. On top of making sure you drink plenty of water.

I am 37 I weigh 15 stone. 14 months ago I weighed over 25 stone. My weighed has stalled at the moment. Over the winter my weight loss slowed. Try not to worry.

P.S. I have not logged into boards.ie in forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'm at a stalled weight-loss at the moment and I'm looking at my portion sizes again and upping the water intake.
    I realise you're eating healthily, but are your portions still on the big side?

I know it's a tad tedious to hear all the time, but really increasing the water can have a huge effect on your weight-loss.

I didn't drink much last week and stayed the same weight, despite hitting the gym every day, plus my meals were probably too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭donmaga1

I was the same. I drink about loads of water a day. For ages my weight was not moving much. Look at your sugar intake. Stay away from pre-packed foods. If you are concerned about your portion size, use smaller plates. Most plates are 12" get 9" plate your plate now looks full. Stay away fro Booze for a month. When buying food only buy food that is not in a packed. If you can't see it don't eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

+1 on the booze. I gave it up for two weeks and I had a massive weight-loss.
    It definitely helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

xabi wrote: »
    Over the past few months i have been using myfitnesspal to track my calories with great success. The App suggested 1700 calories / day which I religiously stuck to and lost 17lbs. I'm now at 210lbs and have been for the past few weeks with no change, i have started to add some cardio and strength training into the mix 2 days a week, but still no change. Any suggestions on how to kick start my weight loss again?

Im 39, 5'11" in height with a fairly sedentary job.

The calories calculated by mfp aren't always the best, try using the one in the link: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50956807&postcount=4

Advertisement