Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gluten Free

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nibz2015

what I think is overblown is all the self-diagnosis of people on terrible diets, I practically know nobody that has an OK diet, maybe 5% of people I know do, but they are always sure what is making them feel bad. Now that doesn't mean it is not real or that you don't feel bad from gluten, or anybody. I think it's a good thing for those with CD and intolerance (known as GS), they get a much better product range.[/quote]

It's all well & good to say that us who have been diagnosed with coeliac disease will have a better product range but it is very difficult when we go out to eat in restaurants and you have to explain that you are a coeliac and can't just say 'I'm gluten free' because the waiter or waitress just rolls her eyes and ends up bringing you food that will make you sick because people who aren't CD diagnosed order a GF dish & some bread comes on top of it and the person just shrugs it off takes it off & continues to eat the meal because they aren't concerned about cross contamination or they'll eat it because it looks or smells nice or something and then the waiter thinks 'oh some people are just really picky eaters' or 'must just be another fad diet'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Akabusi wrote: »
    Why are people getting annoyed by what other people are or are not eating?
    It's just now some people have tried giving up gluten and it's improved their life (though I will say more often than not it's fructans or other fodmaps they were reacting to - whatever works right?). I don't know why people have such an issue with that.

Because gluten and wheat are being disproportionately demonised and people who don't know any better are cutting an entire food group out of their diet for no real reason.

And I'm calling it now: yeast will be the next trendy food intolerance.

As someone said upthread, it's almost impossible to unscare people once these ideas take hold but I did find this very interesting from a common sense point of view:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/05/opinion/sunday/the-myth-of-big-bad-gluten.html?_r=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

i have IBS (since nothing else can be found) and im gluten free and lactose free. ive tried the lactose free approach before on its own with small improvement, but nothing on the improvement of cutting out gluten as much as possible. i know i can have limited amounts of each. very limited. but after even a couple of days without gluten the change was obvious. im no longer spending half the day sick, im no longer bloated and im no longer in pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

PucaMama wrote: »
    i have IBS (since nothing else can be found) and im gluten free and lactose free. ive tried the lactose free approach before on its own with small improvement, but nothing on the improvement of cutting out gluten as much as possible. i know i can have limited amounts of each. very limited. but after even a couple of days without gluten the change was obvious. im no longer spending half the day sick, im no longer bloated and im no longer in pain.

Did you cut out food with gluten in them, or switch to gluten-free alternatives?

Intersstign study here - No Effects of Gluten in Patients With Self-Reported Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity After Dietary Reduction of Fermentable, Poorly Absorbed, Short-Chain Carbohydrates

basically says its the fodmaps, not gluten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Did you cut out food with gluten in them, or switch to gluten-free alternatives?

Intersstign study here - No Effects of Gluten in Patients With Self-Reported Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity After Dietary Reduction of Fermentable, Poorly Absorbed, Short-Chain Carbohydrates

basically says its the fodmaps, not gluten.

think ill pay more attention to what my body tells me than a paper written by people ill never meet. ive found my fix and i like it. i was sick for over a month constantly before that when previously id have 1 or 2 flare ups a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

PucaMama wrote: »
    think ill pay more attention to what my body tells me than a paper written by people ill never meet. ive found my fix and i like it. i was sick for over a month constantly before that when previously id have 1 or 2 flare ups a month

Sure, do whatever you want. Lack of answer is an answer in itself anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Actually in your case it sounds a lot more like fructan intolerance, heartburn is a dead giveaway as it's caused by improper fermentation producing gas that puts upward pressure on the stomach, forcing acid into the oesophagus.

Bottom like is you may tolerate spelt bread. Also be careful of excess garlic and onions (if you find you get a random attack- that might be a likely culprit)

I'll try spelt bread for a few days and report back how i get on.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Because gluten and wheat are being disproportionately demonised and people who don't know any better are cutting an entire food group out of their diet for no real reason.

And I'm calling it now: yeast will be the next trendy food intolerance.

As someone said upthread, it's almost impossible to unscare people once these ideas take hold but I did find this very interesting from a common sense point of view:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/05/opinion/sunday/the-myth-of-big-bad-gluten.html?_r=0

You are seriously out of touch with food trends if you think yeast is the next intolerance, that was the big thing back in the 1990's. My mom used to buy yeast-free cookbooks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You are seriously out of touch with food trends if you think yeast is the next intolerance, that was the big thing back in the 1990's. My mom used to buy yeast-free cookbooks.

Well seeing as I was 8 in 1990 you can probably forgive me for not being quite au fait with the demonised food du jour.

I stand by it being the next trendy thing to be "allergic" to, though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement