Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diet Advice Needed

Options
  • 13-07-2015 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm 32, 5ft 10 and approx 83kg. I played a lot of sport over the years but I've had to give up last year due to injury. I have decided that I need to get serious about my fitness.

I'm not overweight by any means but I would like to have something resembling a six pack. I know it's not going to happen overnight and I'm prepared to work very hard to achieve it.

I have excess fat around my abs that I need to get rid of. I've never really paid too much attention to what I was eating. I have a few questions:
    1. Can I achieve this myself without paying someone to look over my shoulder and guide me along?
    2. Are there websites or apps that can create an ideal meal plan for me based on my current age, weight and overall objectives?
    3. Is there a website/app that can allow me to specify what foods I eat and create a meal plan based on that? I can be a fussy eater.
    4. What exercises/training programmes are worth doing? Should I just follow someone on YouTube for the purpose of getting a six pack?
    5. Should I be taking protein whey? And if so, what is recommended?
    6. Should I just pay a professional trainer/nutritionist to guide me along?

My biggest challenge is my diet and coming up with a meal plan that suits my somewhat limited food palate. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You need to be more aware of what's in your food, ie the calories and the carb, protein and fat content. There is an app for that called MyFitnessPal. It's invaluable.

You can use this to get an idea of what you burn daily, i.e the Total Dail Energy Expenditure.

So if you burn more than you eat, you'll be in a deficit and that's key in dropping the unwanted fat.

The calorie calculator does meal plans using the data you entered and offers options from a drop down menu that makes sure you hit your goals across a day. How well that works for someone with a limited range of food, I don't know.

It might be instructive if you posted what a typical day of eating is and the alternative options for each, just to get an idea of how limited your range is.

Whether or not whey protein is needed, depends on your diet. It is just a food supplement. If you get enough protein from your diet (using MyFitnessPal will help here), then you don't need it. It's just convenient means of adding to your protein intake from food.

Ultimately seeing abs will be more about diet but exercise is obviously going to play a role. What kind of exercise/fitness activities are you into?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

I am in the exact same boat, got a price of €700 for 10 week programme today. Consists of 3 days a week weight and strength training and one to one each secession and full nutritional plan. I was woundering if I could do up the meal plan myself as you describe is there an app or some sort of calculatin to suit your body and save €700. Will follow this thread with interest.

Advertisement