Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gluten free

Options
  • 23-05-2014 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hello bakers

anyone an expert on gluten free bread making? Has to be made with non grain based flour ie nut flours like almond or coconut. Want to put my daughter on a gluten free, caesin free diet for her autism. Need a really good GFCf bread recipe as bread is her favourite food and I don't want to waste a lot of time and money messing about with untested or unreliable recipes. Any help would be much appreciated. TIA

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Hi newthingsgirl, I think this would get a lot more helpful replies in the Nutrition & Diet forum. Would you like it moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 newthingsgirl

yes how do I get it moved ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Here you go

http://www.elanaspantry.com/gluten-free-recipes/breads/

I find this site excellent when cooking for anyone with special dietary requirements, my partners adult daughter is allergic to gluten, dairy, eggs, soya to name but a few and I usually find recipes here that work :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thread moved from Cakes & Bakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 newthingsgirl

thanks for this, looks like a great website, gonna try the simple bread recipe soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 AlfieRamirez

Hi all
    just wondering, for all coeliacs out there, does anybody know if Cadburys Roses are Gluten Free? and which ones in particular
    Im relatively new to this Coeliac lifestyle, so I'm also wondering how strict people are.. for examples I believe that if something says 'may contain wheat', it doesn't and they're just saying that to cover themselves.
    as in cadburys bars, says 'may contain gluten' but no gluten is in the ingredients..

thanks
    Alfie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hi all
    just wondering, for all coeliacs out there, does anybody know if Cadburys Roses are Gluten Free? and which ones in particular
    Im relatively new to this Coeliac lifestyle, so I'm also wondering how strict people are.. for examples I believe that if something says 'may contain wheat', it doesn't and they're just saying that to cover themselves.
    as in cadburys bars, says 'may contain gluten' but no gluten is in the ingredients..

thanks
    Alfie

glucose syrup is derived from wheat in the eu and you may react depending on how sensitive you are. i have in the past and a friend who has gone the diagnosis route has been told the same by her doc
    Plain choc like fruit and nut is ok. Crunchies, and most sweets in a roses tin I would wager, are not

INGREDIENTS
    Milk chocolate (Milk, Sugar, Cocoa mass, Cocoa butter, Dried whey, Vegetable fat, Emulsifier (E442), Flavourings), Sugar, Glucose syrup, Milk chocolate (Milk, Sugar, Cocoa mass, Cocoa butter, Vegetable fat, Emulsifiers (E442, E476), Flavourings), Vegetable oil, Dried whey, Glucose-fructose syrup, Invert sugar syrup, Chocolate (Sugar, Cocoa mass, Cocoa butter, Vegetable fat, Emulsifier (Soya lecithin)), Roasted hazelnuts, Fat reduced cocoa, Dried skimmed milk, Brazil nuts, Emulsifier (E442), Salt, Flavourings, Molasses, Acidity regulator (Sodium citrate), Citric acid, Sodium carbonate, Colours (Anthocyanins, Paprika extract), Humectant (Glycerol), Stabiliser (Invertase).

How strict you are depends on what you react to - or for me it does anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AlfieRamirez

bluewolf wrote: »
    glucose syrup is derived from wheat in the eu and you may react depending on how sensitive you are. i have in the past and a friend who has gone the diagnosis route has been told the same by her doc
    Plain choc like fruit and nut is ok. Crunchies, and most sweets in a roses tin I would wager, are not

INGREDIENTS
    Milk chocolate (Milk, Sugar, Cocoa mass, Cocoa butter, Dried whey, Vegetable fat, Emulsifier (E442), Flavourings), Sugar, Glucose syrup, Milk chocolate (Milk, Sugar, Cocoa mass, Cocoa butter, Vegetable fat, Emulsifiers (E442, E476), Flavourings), Vegetable oil, Dried whey, Glucose-fructose syrup, Invert sugar syrup, Chocolate (Sugar, Cocoa mass, Cocoa butter, Vegetable fat, Emulsifier (Soya lecithin)), Roasted hazelnuts, Fat reduced cocoa, Dried skimmed milk, Brazil nuts, Emulsifier (E442), Salt, Flavourings, Molasses, Acidity regulator (Sodium citrate), Citric acid, Sodium carbonate, Colours (Anthocyanins, Paprika extract), Humectant (Glycerol), Stabiliser (Invertase).

How strict you are depends on what you react to - or for me it does anyway

Thanks a million, good to know
    I did some more research and apparently Glucose Syrup in EU is derived from wheat but has no gluten, (if that's even possible)
    If you google it you'll see some interesting results in how it is infact, gluten free...
    I think i'll just avoid it for now though and be on the safe side... as I don't know who/what to trust

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nibz2015

Hi all

thanks
    Alfie

I was in the same boat when diagnosed only a short while back, i got onto the coeliac society of Ireland about Cadburys and all their products do contain just a low amount of gluten (they are on the low gluten list).. I still eat Cadburys every now & again but defiantly get a reaction from it (i know I'm still recovering too which doesn't help). If you email the Coeliac Society of Ireland they are a brilliant help and send you a list of foods with low gluten content.

Advertisement