Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

Agree. Ryan simply doesn't look county level (yet). Is O Griofa on the panel? Came on as sub v Sligo in the FBD but wasn't mentioned among the 26 last week. Good prospect by all accounts. All injured or non-travelling players had a training session in Loughgeorge last Sunday morning; nice to know they're taking it seriously anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

MfMan wrote: »
    Agree. Ryan simply doesn't look county level (yet). Is O Griofa on the panel? Came on as sub v Sligo in the FBD but wasn't mentioned among the 26 last week.
    Cut from the panel for the moment but he's still very young so expect to hear from him again soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Cut from the panel for the moment but he's still very young so expect to hear from him again soon.

What is the current panel?

Ryan is a good club player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Hi,

Not sure where to post this. I did a search for TG4 but I didn't really get anywhere with it. Does anyone know if it's the norm for TG4 Player to only show one-half of a Match or is there something else I have to click into? I could only see Part One - the First-Half listed for the Galway/Derry Game last week ..... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Wasn't able to go, too sick :(

Galway 1-7 Louth 0-10 at the mo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Finished 1-8 to 0-11.

Tyrone hammered Derry today aswell, which kinda takes a little bit of the gloss off last week's result.

That said, 3 points from the first two games is a decent start. I'd be confident that Mulholland will get us competitive again if he's given time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Finished 1-8 to 0-11.

Tyrone hammered Derry today aswell, which kinda takes a little bit of the gloss off last week's result.

That said, 3 points from the first two games is a decent start. I'd be confident that Mulholland will get us competitive again if he's given time.
    Agreed I think he is the man that can bring us on. Of course our players will need to step up too.

Awful showing from both Galway teams. Skehill was great and then made a ridiculous mistake in his own square to throw the match away. Joe Canning had 2 frees that were in his goal-range but pointed one and bottled the other. Fergal Moore was excellent in the 2nd half.

How Louth only got a draw I'll never know. They had 3 frees that were basic to score and missed them all. Galway showed glimpses of quality but yet again shown up in midfield by a fairly average side. Think that another win should keep us up with all that said.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

Fúcking absolute Muck today.....

Will take a long time to get the same crowd into Pearse Stadium again. Big opportunity for both teams to impress the fans and keep them coming back. A lot wont come back now knockout championship games now as they will feel, and rightfully so, let down by the players today.

4,000 isn't a massive turnout for a League match though. I expect a decent crowd for the match against Meath and the other 2 are in Tuam.

• Advertisement

Awful showing from both Galway teams. Skehill was great and then made a ridiculous mistake in his own square to throw the match away. Joe Canning had 2 frees that were in his goal-range but pointed one and bottled the other. Fergal Moore was excellent in the 2nd half.

How Louth only got a draw I'll never know. They had 3 frees that were basic to score and missed them all. Galway showed glimpses of quality but yet again shown up in midfield by a fairly average side. Think that another win should keep us up with all that said.

In fairness to Canning he got a slap on the hand (naturally) prior to taking the first free. Really should have gone for the point however, it would have maintained their momentum at a time when they were getting back into it. Bad and all as they undoubtedly were, only for Skehill's fumbling, there wouldn't have been a whole lot in it at the finish. You must remember we beat KK twice in the league in the last 2 years and nobody said then that we would go on to win the AI. Yesterday's was only a tournament game; the most important thing is that the management learn from it and know who is good and not good enough (a long list of the latter unfortunately).

Footballers really should have held out against Louth. Management had to change a beaten midfield but didn't. Also took off the wrong players; should have left Conroy and Martin on and subbed Sice and Nicky. A tight hard-graft game doesn't suit Nicky as he tends to carry the ball into contact too often and then lose it. Shane Maughan is too young and simply isn't up to county standard yet. Our bench is very weak too with no game changers on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

We need to calm down with the knee jerk reactions.

Yes they were both poor, but this is the time to be beaten. The two teams and managements could learn a few things from the defeat and draw.

Yes the Galway footballers were second best at midfield but the two midfielders are only 19 and they'll learn from the experience, seeing especially that Louth are a physical team with a very solid midfield. Some of ye are mad for disheartening the two lads at midfield. Personally I think they should be trying different combinations and think we were settling on a team too soon after the Derry game. Personally I'd like to see teams putting it up to Galway and seeing incremental improvement as we go through. We have 3 points so another couple of big performances should see us safe.

Will make a comment on the hurlers later, but this is the Walsh cup, no need to panic. These are long term plans so let the young players blood and look for incremental improvement over a longer period of time. People with major expectations this year should reevaluate. It will be at least a couple of years before we've any prospect of challenging.

Clemon wrote: »
    Fúcking absolute Muck today.....

Will take a long time to get the same crowd into Pearse Stadium again. Big opportunity for both teams to impress the fans and keep them coming back. A lot wont come back now knockout championship games now as they will feel, and rightfully so, let down by the players today.

You should reevaluate how realistic that expectation was. These are two teams that are at a very early stage of evolution and the fans should realize that. The supporters should be getting behind the team. Shows how fickle some are if a draw in the league and a loss in the Walsh cup turns them off going to Galway matches. What Galway teams have they been watching the past few years? Teams that beat Kilkenny in the league or teams that were beaten off the pitch in Thurles repeatedly in the Championship? Football teams that beat Tyrone in the league or teams that were meekly beaten by Mayo in the Championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

Some positives to be taken from both games - hurlers started terribly, but were well in the game until Skehill made a criminal mistake for the 2nd cats goal (he has a tendency to make a mistake like that in every game he plays). Bit worrying the way they all flatlined after that - there was still 15 mins to go, and they were only 6 pts down even after the goal. On the plus side, Canning looked v good, as did David Burke, Hynes, Moore and Bernard Burke when he came on. Lots still to do, but that was an exceptionally strong kk side that Cody put out - 13 of their All-Ireland winning side from last year saw some action; yet at stages in the 2nd hald, esp after Moore went out centre back, Galway were going toe to toe with them. Dublin will tell a lot in 2 weeks.
    Footballers were hanging on at the end, but I got the impression that some of them let the craptalk of the last week go to their heads after the win in Derry. They started a bit of showboating after they went 6 points up, and weren't able to regain their initiative after Louth got back into it. A good lesson for youg footballers to learn - when you have a team on the ropes put them away when you have a chance. Felt they were being a little disrespectful to Louth, who hads bags of experience over them. We did well to hold on to a point in the end, but I saw enough footballl in the first 20 mins to suggest they have the talent to improve our standing significantly over the next 2 years.
    A good day out overall - it was good to see the GAA back in full swing after a long winter. Congrats also to Clonbur on their win yestarday - great victory for such a small club.

Hurling team for Sunday. League Div 1 against Dublin in Pearse Stadium.

Team:
    1. James Skehill
    2. Deci Connolly
    3. David Collins
    4. Ger O' Halloran
    5. Tony Og Regan
    6. Fergal Moore
    7. Niall Donoghue
    8. David Burke
    9. Cyril Donnelan
    10. Conor Cooney
    11. Niall Burke
    12. Iarlaith Tannian
    13. Damian Hayes
    14. Barry Daly
    15. James Regan

Subs:
    16. Jamie Ryan
    17. Padraig Shiel
    18. Brian Flaherty
    19. Paul Huban
    20. Bernard Burke
    21. Johnny Coen
    22. Eanna Ryan
    23. Joseph Cooney
    24. Jason Grealish
    25. Aidan Harte
    26. Davy Glennon

It's quite a changed lineup. I notice no Farragher, no Andy Smith, no Niall Healy etc. Thoughts?

Dunno how long it will take to realize that Skehill can be a big liability in matches. Would have been a perfect chance to give one of the two other keepers a chance. Other than that it isn't a bad lineup and it should be a good match.

Team:
    1. James Skehill
    2. Deci Connolly
    3. David Collins
    4. Ger O' Halloran
    5. Tony Og Regan
    6. Fergal Moore
    7. Niall Donoghue
    8. David Burke
    9. Cyril Donnelan
    10. Conor Cooney
    11. Niall Burke
    12. Iarlaith Tannian
    13. Damian Hayes
    14. Barry Daly
    15. James Regan

Subs:
    16. Jamie Ryan
    17. Padraig Shiel
    18. Brian Flaherty
    19. Paul Huban
    20. Bernard Burke
    21. Johnny Coen
    22. Eanna Ryan
    23. Joseph Cooney
    24. Jason Grealish
    25. Aidan Harte
    26. Davy Glennon

It's quite a changed lineup. I notice no Farragher, no Andy Smith, no Niall Healy etc. Thoughts?

Are either of those even on the Galway panel?

Are either of those even on the Galway panel?

Not named in the subs for Sunday anyway. I'm not surprised that Niall Healy is gone but I'd have thought Farragher was still worth a place in the panel. I know he has a tendency to go missing in some games but when he's on form he's still one of our better players, and a top-class freetaker when required to take them. Could be injured though, or unavailable for other reasons? I'm not sure.

Don't know much about the two new corner backs. Good to see some new faces though as change was needed for sure. Too many of the panel that were there over the last few years had flopped too often, last year really being the final straw for a few of them.

Expectations this year need to be realistic though. We're not All-Ireland material at the moment and there's point thinking we are. Cunningham should be given time to bring them on and hopefully bring about some improvement. We probably need to move away from the obsession with small, nippy, skilful players and get some lads in there with a bit of steel and a bit of fight in them. A few lads who can win a ball in the air wouldn't go amiss either.

Team:
    1. James Skehill
    2. Deci Connolly
    3. David Collins
    4. Ger O' Halloran
    5. Tony Og Regan
    6. Fergal Moore
    7. Niall Donoghue
    8. David Burke
    9. Cyril Donnelan
    10. Conor Cooney
    11. Niall Burke
    12. Iarlaith Tannian
    13. Damian Hayes
    14. Barry Daly
    15. James Regan

Subs:
    16. Jamie Ryan
    17. Padraig Shiel
    18. Brian Flaherty
    19. Paul Huban
    20. Bernard Burke
    21. Johnny Coen
    22. Eanna Ryan
    23. Joseph Cooney
    24. Jason Grealish
    25. Aidan Harte
    26. Davy Glennon

Smith is injured, the other 2 didn't make the panel, along with a number of others like Cullinane, Callanan, Kavanagh, Lee, etc. It was the right decision to let them go - they've been found wanting too often on the big day over the past 5 or 6 years.

There's 8 of the U21 winners from last year on this team - they also played in the '08 & '09 minor finals v kk, winning '09 & losing unluckily in '08. I've big hopes for Burke - he was motm in '08 at 17, also rate Glennon in the subs v highly. Fergal Moore is a top choice for captain - but I'm worried he's the only real class defender we have. It depends how our forwards get on against Dublin backs - especially w'out JC. Dub backs are the strongest part of their side - they're cut out of Daly, really in your face. They'll be gearing up for an all out assault on kk in the Leinster semi - not too sure how seriously they'll take the league.

Our best hope this year is a semi final league spot, a good performance in the Leinster final (assuming we make it), and an outside chance of an All-Ireland semi apperance. It would represent significant progress on last years disaster. We're really looking to build for something for '13 & '14 at this stage.

Looking forward to Sunday - should be a good game.

Not named in the subs for Sunday anyway. I'm not surprised that Niall Healy is gone but I'd have thought Farragher was still worth a place in the panel. I know he has a tendency to go missing in some games but when he's on form he's still one of our better players, and a top-class freetaker when required to take them. Could be injured though, or unavailable for other reasons? I'm not sure.

No he definitely isn't around. Was dropped altogether back in November. I think injuries were a contributing factor in the minds of the management.

• Advertisement

Smith is injured, the other 2 didn't make the panel, along with a number of others like Cullinane, Callanan, Kavanagh, Lee, etc. It was the right decision to let them go - they've been found wanting too often on the big day over the past 5 or 6 years.

They have for sure, but then again the likes of Collins and Tony Og have been there too for all of those flops. I suppose he had to retain some core of experienced players. This panel is hardly a closed shop though and I'm sure come championship time a few of these lads will be dropped while the likes of Shane Kavanagh and Aounghus Callanan might still force their way back in. Early days yet.

Very good showing by the lads today. Niall Donohue was absolutely fantastic and saved our blushes once or twice. Niall Burke was our key man scoring-wise and really improved from when I saw him last. Skehill was good. Nobody really except Barry Daly had a nightmare. At the same time though Dublin didn't turn up and died a death in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

I thought they played with more determination and a need to get it won than usual . Nothing fancy just hard work and I think we need more of it.
    So go on A.Cunningham I like it keep it up we might win something.

Still couldn't cleanly catch a ball though although I'm hoping that was the conditions rather then the usual issue we have every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

What do people think of Tony og?.

I really don't know how the guy gets so many opportunity with Galway.
    He's a big strong guy for sure; very prone to howlers though, and poor at marking his man.
    He took a free today and drove it straight to a Dublin player who was standing in isolation a good 20 metres away from any Galway player.

Naill Burke showed a nice mix of big centre forward strength and hurling ability.
    Connor Cooney seems like a nice tidy hurler.

What do people think of Tony og?.

I really don't know how the guy gets so many opportunity with Galway.
    He's a big strong guy for sure; very prone to howlers though, and poor at marking his man.
    He took a free today and drove it straight to a Dublin player who was standing in isolation a good 20 metres away from any Galway player.

Think he slipped over 7 times today and IIRC he put a sideline cut straight out again. He has his days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Good enough performance by Galway today, but I wouldn't be writing them up just yet. Dublin had all the look of a bunch of players who are going through training aimed at later on in the year. In other words Galway may have been further "down the line" than them. If they met later on in the year, I wouldn't be so confident.

Good to see so many new faces on the team - hope cunningham sticks with these lads, even if they get a trimming or two in the league. They'll never learn if they have to be constantly relying on lads who have failed over the last number of years.

Niall Burke was very good today, and probably was MOTM. Cooney beside him was another to catch the eye, despite his (and others) lack of ability in catching the high ball. Even though he is an excellent defender, I would have my reservations about having Fergal Moore at number 6 - simply because he wouldn't be tall enough against the likes of Shefflin.

Still it sets them up well for their trip to Thurles next time out.

Good start alright, but not too sure how high a priority Dublin had made the game. Still v dissappointing that we couldn't catch clean ball over our heads - it looks like both teams tactic was to break the ball down and scrap for it on the ground.

Stansard was poor enough, but that's to be expected on the first day out in Feb. Though the whole full back line did well, even if Collins was under a bit of pressure when Ryan O'Dwyer went in on him. Donoghue & Moore really solid in the half back line, but Regan would break your heart with his decision making sometimes. Midfield did well, whilst the half forwards were very dominant. Delighted for Niall Burke in particular, been watching him for many years. Surprised Dublin left Joey Boland on him for so long. He'll have it tougher the next day out in thurles. Regan did well in the corner, especially in the 2nd half. Was dissappointed with Daly, but he seemed to be struggling all day, and was taken off early, so could have had an injury. Kelly is a super full back for Dublin thou, a farce that he didn't get an all-star last year. Looks like Hayes has lost his pace - he's been on the scene for a long time now. Not sure if he'll get his start come c'ship. He still has loads of heart thou.

Bit dissappointed that we didn't create any goal chances at all, whilst Dublin had 2 or 3 half chances. Might have something to do with the fact that Cooney & N Burke on the half forward line seemed to shoot on sight. It worked yesterday, but they need to bring the inside forwards into the game a bit more.

Also disconcerting to see how sharp kk were at this time of the year in the hi-lights last night, they're light years ahead of everyone still.

Also disconcerting to see how sharp kk were at this time of the year in the hi-lights last night, they're light years ahead of everyone still.

They are alright. The thing with KK is that even when some of their star names are missing the lads who come in to replace them are nearly as good, or maybe every bit as good. That's what sets them apart, the depth and strength of their panel means that there's huge competition for places and with Cody being quite a ruthless manager even the marquee names know they're only a bad game or two from being dispatched to the bench.

With the possible exception of a fully fit Shefflin I don't think anybody's place is safe on that team. They're still the team to beat and if I was bookie I wouldn't be giving away much odds on them winning the All-Ireland again in 2012. They'll surely be there or therabouts anyway.

• Advertisement

They are alright. The thing with KK is that even when some of their star names are missing the lads who come in to replace them are nearly as good, or maybe every bit as good. That's what sets them apart, the depth and strength of their panel means that there's huge competition for places and with Cody being quite a ruthless manager even the marquee names know they're only a bad game or two from being dispatched to the bench.

Don't give up hope yet. Surprisingly, Galway have beaten KK teams as good as it is now, and when it was least expected. This KK team will get old some time, and the supporting cast isn't as yet proven. Remember, no tyrant lasts forever!!!

Don't give up hope yet. Surprisingly, Galway have beaten KK teams as good as it is now, and when it was least expected. This KK team will get old some time, and the supporting cast isn't as yet proven. Remember, no tyrant lasts forever!!!

It's true that Galway have beaten Kilkenny in the past when it wasn't expected and for that reason they'll always be wary of us. But right now we're a fair bit behind them. Yes they're getting old and they haven't exactly been sweeping the boards at underage recently, so there may well be an opening in the next couple of years for a new team to knock them off their perch.

Whether Galway will be that team is anybody's guess, but taking all known info into account you'd be a brave man to put alot of money on it. We'll wait in hope I suppose, that maybe one of these years a Galway manager will find the right formula. Cunningham will need to be given some time though. Let him build it up over a couple of years. Same goes for AM in the football. This chopping and changing of managers has done us no good in either code.

^^^^ Agreed. No chance we'll win th AI this year, but with Cunninghams track record we could have a serious chance by '14. Given the fact it's 24 years this year, I'd happily settle for that.

I just want us to be competitive this year - no more horror shows like Tullamore & Thurles last year.

I just want us to be competitive this year - no more horror shows like Tullamore & Thurles last year.

That sums it up really. When they lost to Tipp in 2010 no-one could say a word against them because they hurled their hearts out that day and were very unlucky to lose in the end. That's all we want to see, a Galway team go out there and play with heart and determination and in the end if they're beaten by a better team so be it. It's the gutless capitulations over the last few years that have left a bad taste in the mouth for Galway supporters.

I spoke to fellas after the Waterford game last year who've been going to watch Galway hurling (and football) teams for decades and they'd had enough. It was just one spineless performance too many. So that's the issue Cunningham meeds to address first. Everyone knows we have skilful hurlers that isn't in question, but what we need is a few Sylvies and Lynskeys and Keadys, lads who will go through a brick wall for you. We haven't had that kind of player for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Submara

Was at the game yesterday. A good win for the younger players on the Galway panel but unfortunately the same old failings still exist such as bad first touch, loose marking, the inability to catch the sliotar and to win puck outs. Defensively we were good, particularly not conceding any goals. I felt our full forward line were very poor particularly D. Hayes in the first half as a lot of good ball went in but no scores resulted. No All-Ireland for another few years yet!

Does anybody know if the Hurling Board made a conscious decision to change the shade of maroon on the Galway jerseys or was it a manufacturing decision by O'Neills?

Submara wrote: »

Does anybody know if the Hurling Board made a conscious decision to change the shade of maroon on the Galway jerseys or was it a manufacturing decision by O'Neills?

Think somebody might have made an absolute hames of the wash

• Advertisement

Submara wrote: »
    Was at the game yesterday. A good win for the younger players on the Galway panel but unfortunately the same old failings still exist such as bad first touch, loose marking, the inability to catch the sliotar and to win puck outs. Defensively we were good, particularly not conceding any goals. I felt our full forward line were very poor particularly D. Hayes in the first half as a lot of good ball went in but no scores resulted. No All-Ireland for another few years yet!

Sean Walsh referred to that on GBFM, can't say I noticed that much myself, probably colour blind anyway. I'd excuse the sub-par first touch a little yesterday, the pitch wasn't too conducive to flowing hurling as it was heavy and scarred from the Sigerson final on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭thewildcat

we got to 3 minor finals in the last 4 years won 2 also 2 under 21's titles
    they might be kittens but they will grow to be tigers;)

thewildcat wrote: »
    we got to 3 minor finals in the last 4 years won 2 also 2 under 21's titles
    they might be kittens but they will grow to be tigers;)

Hmm.. yes, but Dublin have won the last 3 Leinster U-21 titles plus Minor last year. KK will always produce a conveyor belt of players but there's no guarantee the next generation will rival the current one in terms of success or ability, plus it's hard to see the next manager being as driven as Cody. Look how Cork have entered the doldrums in the past number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭thewildcat

but Dublin didn't win any underage all ireland's so its hard to judge
    Galway have some great underage side's since 1992 but have nothing
    to show for it at senior level.

as for cork they might have been down for a few years but i bet they still will win all ireland
    title before Dublin or Galway. have they have won 4 since Galway's last win in 1988

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Galway team to face Westmeath on Sunday - 1 Manus Breathnach, 2 Kieran McGrath, 3 Finian Hanley, 4 Keith Kelly, 5 Garreth Bradshaw 6 J Duane, 7 G Sice, 8 Thomas Flynn, 9 Joe Bergin, 10 Conor Doherty, 11 P Conroy, 12 Mark Hehir, 13 Michael Martin, 14 N Joyce, 15 D Cummins

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Galway team to face Westmeath on Sunday - 1 Manus Breathnach, 2 Kieran McGrath, 3 Finian Hanley, 4 Keith Kelly, 5 Garreth Bradshaw 6 J Duane, 7 G Sice, 8 Thomas Flynn, 9 Joe Bergin, 10 Conor Doherty, 11 P Conroy, 12 Mark Hehir, 13 Michael Martin, 14 N Joyce, 15 D Cummins

No Colin Forde, Gary O Donnell or O Currain? Injured? Kieran McGrath had a good domestic campaign with his club so is worth a look, in spite of my long-standing reservations about Corofin defenders playing for Galway. (See also Sice). Big Joe was not, is not and never will be a viable option at midfield, O Mahony was correct when he played him as an auxiliary in '01. Doherty should beef up the HF line, though it remains to be seen if he's a good enough footballer for the team. Rather surprised Hehir held his place against Bane. FF line needs to recapture the form shown in Derry. A win, by no means guaranteed, should restart momentum again, especially as the hard games remaining are then at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No Colin Forde, Gary O Donnell or O Currain? Injured? Kieran McGrath had a good domestic campaign with his club so is worth a look, in spite of my long-standing reservations about Corofin defenders playing for Galway. (See also Sice). Big Joe was not, is not and never will be a viable option at midfield, O Mahony was correct when he played him as an auxiliary in '01. Doherty should beef up the HF line, though it remains to be seen if he's a good enough footballer for the team. Rather surprised Hehir held his place against Bane. FF line needs to recapture the form shown in Derry. A win, by no means guaranteed, should restart momentum again, especially as the hard games remaining are then at home.

O Currain is injured alright, dunno about the other two.

keane2097 wrote: »
    O Currain is injured alright, dunno about the other two.

The other two don't appear to be injury-related. Just trying different options I suppose.

Bergin was never much of a midfielder it's true, but it shows how much we're still lacking options in that department that we have to go back to him again.

Westmeath were very poor the last day in getting walloped by Meath so barring a big improvement from them, Galway ought to be winning this.

We've been a lacking a midfield since Kevin Walsh retired. Can't really blame Bergin because he needs good support in midfield anyways and he hasn't got it in nearly a decade. We get shown up in that position every match sadly.

Here's hoping for a win at the weekend as 5 points from 3 matches would surely be enough even at this early stage to avoid relegation.

Senior football championship draw
    Micheal breathnachs v Kilkerrin Clonberne,
    Barna v An Cheathru Rua,
    Milltown v Moycullen,
    Salthill Knocknacarra v St Michaels,
    Corofin v Tuam Stars, - Dinger
    Caltra v Claregalway,
    Mountbellew Moylough v Cortoon Shamrocks,
    Annaghdown v NUIG,
    Killererin v Caherlistrane,
    Killanin v St James,
    Kilconly v Leitir Mor.

Intermediate football championship draw:
    Corofin v Athenry,
    St Brendans v Monivea Abbey,
    Oranmore Maree v Menlough,
    Caherlistrane v Oughterard,
    Williamstown (a Bye),
    Clonbur v Glenamaddy Glinsk,
    Carna Cashel v Spiddal,
    Dunmore MacHales v Salthill Knocknacarra.

With difficult games to come against Tyrone, Kildare, Monaghan and Meath relegation is back on the table unfortunately. Bad bad result on Sunday. It'll be a long hard road for AM to get us back to anywhere near the top level. I just hope they give him time because it aint gonna happen overnight, and losing Michael Meehan (as seems likely) is a hammer blow.

With difficult games to come against Tyrone, Kildare, Monaghan and Meath relegation is back on the table unfortunately. Bad bad result on Sunday. It'll be a long hard road for AM to get us back to anywhere near the top level. I just hope they give him time because it aint gonna happen overnight, and losing Michael Meehan (as seems likely) is a hammer blow.

Shocking performance on Sunday - yet another to add to the list of dreadful shows over the last 6 or 7 years. Couldn't believe he selected Coleman & Bergin @ midfield; those 2 clearly weren't good enough in 2005. It doesn't say much for the rebuilding process when Mulholland persists with proven failures. It's got to the stage now where I have zero confidence in getting a result in any game. I am extremely pessimistic about our chances of even getting to a Connacht final this year - it might be a blessing too, looking at the way Mayo are travelling so far. I thought WM were very poor on Sunday, and it easy to see why they were the divisions whipping boys, yet the way Galway were playing towards the end it was clear that we were going to allow ourselves to be rolled over at the finish. Also, am I the only one who doesn't rate Hanley? I'm sick to the back teeth of reading that he's a truly class full back, yet anyime I see him he seems to be on a one man mission to make his man an allstar.

Think I'll go to Thurles to watch the hurlers on Sunday. Reckon they'll be seriously up against it, but from what I saw v Dublin last week, I reckon they'll at least die with their boots on.

TribesmenGAA has a competition for a family pass (2 adults and 2 children) for Galway’s match verses Meath on Sunday in Pearse Stadium. Good luck!

http://www.facebook.com/TribesmenGAA.Football

Shocking performance on Sunday - yet another to add to the list of dreadful shows over the last 6 or 7 years. Couldn't believe he selected Coleman & Bergin @ midfield; those 2 clearly weren't good enough in 2005. It doesn't say much for the rebuilding process when Mulholland persists with proven failures. It's got to the stage now where I have zero confidence in getting a result in any game. I am extremely pessimistic about our chances of even getting to a Connacht final this year - it might be a blessing too, looking at the way Mayo are travelling so far. I thought WM were very poor on Sunday, and it easy to see why they were the divisions whipping boys, yet the way Galway were playing towards the end it was clear that we were going to allow ourselves to be rolled over at the finish. Also, am I the only one who doesn't rate Hanley? I'm sick to the back teeth of reading that he's a truly class full back, yet anyime I see him he seems to be on a one man mission to make his man an allstar.

Think I'll go to Thurles to watch the hurlers on Sunday. Reckon they'll be seriously up against it, but from what I saw v Dublin last week, I reckon they'll at least die with their boots on.

Considering going to Thurles meself too. Agree a little re: Hanley; not too bad under a high ball, remember he handled Donaghy fairly well on the wet day a few years ago, not so good when the FF is drawing him around the place. The backs in general don't seem to play as a unit however. Individually goodish footballers for the most part but there always appears to be a lot of space there when opposing forwards race at the defence. Agree also re: Coleman and Bergin, though from the highlights I saw, Joe seemed to do what he should for once, win primary possession and immediately pass it to a better player. Ironically, from talking to a few that were there, midfield was changed about last Sunday when there was no need, in sharp contrast to the Louth game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement