Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact announced at IFA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

The sky go app is only available for certain android phones, generally all the flagships and high end tablets but it can take sky a while to update the app to make it compatible with the Z3. Bit like how some iOS apps are only available on iPhone 5 upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Alan Smithee

Thanks for that man. Just what I need to hear. Similar situation myself. Have had iPhones for 6 years, and like the iPhone 6, but am a bit "meh" about it.

Silly question regarding Sky Go, I'm assuming you have the App installed? Or is it a thin it's not showing on the Play store?

Pretty much what he said!!The App does work on earlier Xperia phones so no doubt it will work for the Z3 soon.

Best of luck whatever choice you make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Daith

Picked up Z3 compact from Carphone Warehouse. Asked for Meteor PAYG but my Three sim is working fine in it. Actually the guy didn't think they had Meteor payg but his colleague said they were sim free anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Phantasos

Daith wrote: »
    Picked up Z3 compact from Carphone Warehouse. Asked for Meteor PAYG but my Three sim is working fine in it. Actually the guy didn't think they had Meteor payg but his colleague said they were sim free anyway.

Just wondering what price you paid for it? Can't see prices for the Z3C online. Wish they could guarantee SIM-free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Daith

Phantasos wrote: »
    Just wondering what price you paid for it? Can't see prices for the Z3C online. Wish they could guarantee SIM-free.

€420. I'll prob need to buy the magnetic charger dock too.

Yeah it's annoying....I just took a chance so buyer beware but is a great price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Seriously tempted, I think I read in this thread earlier that usually the first carphone warehouse batches are unlocked so I'd want to be deciding soon. My reservation again is how soon a CM11 rom will get pushed to it. I'm not the biggest fan of brand specific roms with all the bloatware crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Pretty much what he said!!The App does work on earlier Xperia phones so no doubt it will work for the Z3 soon.

Best of luck whatever choice you make.

I know it works in the earlier Z's alright. Slightly surprised they could just port the App straight over. I may ask a question or two in work on Monday.

Just reading up on this (Z3) and have to say I'm very tempted. Remote play on the PS4 is a major selling point for me. Couple of questions for anyone that has one; How big is the phone? I've looked at the measurements and it seems around the size of the M8? Is it easy to use one handed or is it more or less a two handed deal? Don't mind either way just curious.

Where is everyone buying them? From the shops or online? Would need a sim free one as I'm on Three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Out of contract and thinking of switching to embobile for either this or the iPhone 6 but unfortunately all the 6's are 16GB ones which wont work for me. I was told that the carphone warehouse ones are unlocked so I can get whichever network I want on one.

Just reading up on this (Z3) and have to say I'm very tempted. Remote play on the PS4 is a major selling point for me. Couple of questions for anyone that has one; How big is the phone? I've looked at the measurements and it seems around the size of the M8? Is it easy to use one handed or is it more or less a two handed deal? Don't mind either way just curious.

Where is everyone buying them? From the shops or online? Would need a sim free one as I'm on Three.

Easy to use one handed but does feel a bit weird holding it to my ear but that may be more due to the flip case I have for it than the phone itself (only case available).

I got mine on contract with O2 so can't comment on price sim free.

• Advertisement

Alan did you get the Z3 or the Z3 compact? I'd imagine the compact is much easier one handed.

cormie wrote: »
    Alan did you get the Z3 or the Z3 compact? I'd imagine the compact is much easier one handed.

Got the Z3; the compact is really nice as well (I hummed and hawed for a long while between the 2 phones much to the amusement of the shop staff there) and the compact is comparable in size to an iPhone 5. I really wouldn't worry about the size of the Z3 but if your worried I'm sure the phone shops have demos to hold to get an idea and feel.

Sad and all as this sounds, I'm torn as to what phone to go for.

I can get this for free on upgrade.

I can get a 64 GB iPhone 6 for €85 with CPW.

I can get a 64 GB iPhone 6 Plus for €185 from CPW.

I know the Z3/ Compact beat the iPhone hands down in terms of spec, but still can't decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

How big is the phone?

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Sony-Xperia-Z3,Sony-Xperia-Z3-Compact,Samsung-Galaxy-S4/phones/8764,8744,7597 You can compare the phone here to your own phone if you calibrate it. I put a piece of paper onto my computer screen and traced it out the sizes of the z3 and z3c cut it out, gives me a good idea of the size of the phones.

Not sure which to go for myself. Im edging towards the compact. Never had a big smart phone before.

I read on amazon that you need a nano sim card for the phone to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Sad and all as this sounds, I'm torn as to what phone to go for.

I can get this for free on upgrade.

I can get a 64 GB iPhone 6 for €85 with CPW.

I can get a 64 GB iPhone 6 Plus for €185 from CPW.

I know the Z3/ Compact beat the iPhone hands down in terms of spec, but still can't decide.

I promise you Chuck. If you get the 6 you will massively regret it within a week.

Picked one up earlier in CPW, so far so good. Feels like proper quality product. Will report back more in a couple of days.

Pangea wrote: »
    http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Sony-Xperia-Z3,Sony-Xperia-Z3-Compact,Samsung-Galaxy-S4/phones/8764,8744,7597 You can compare the phone here to your own phone if you calibrate it. I put a piece of paper onto my computer screen and traced it out the sizes of the z3 and z3c cut it out, gives me a good idea of the size of the phones.

Not sure which to go for myself. Im edging towards the compact. Never had a big smart phone before.

I read on amazon that you need a nano sim card for the phone to work.

Yeah I've done that but just looking for real life experience of it, I find the S5 to be big and ugly in person yet think LG G3 is fine despite being bigger. Don't know why. I'm torn between this and a G3. The lower price of the G3 is a plus and the screen but remote play sounds amazing if it works right. Have another few weeks til pay day. Will see then.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I promise you Chuck. If you get the 6 you will massively regret it within a week.

Cheers Sonics. That's kinda what I'm thinking myself. Might as well just pull the trigger and get the Z3.

Cheers Sonics. That's kinda what I'm thinking myself. Might as well just pull the trigger and get the Z3.

I picked them up in the store today for a look and saw very little change from my old 5s. Lovely to hold but I'd argue so too is the Z3 though. The 6+ I liked the most and wouldn't rule one out for myself at some stage.

I switched from a HTC One M7 to iPhone 5s around March last year and to be honest I can't wait to get rid of it. As soon as I saw the android releases last year I wanted to get rid of it nearly straight away. Since iOS 8 there are constant crashes as well and 3rd party keyboards don't really work for me anyway, it randomly will switch back to the Apple keyboard for some unknown reason. The Z3 looks like a beast and I don't think you'll regret it.

• Advertisement

I picked them up in the store today for a look and saw very little change from my old 5s. Lovely to hold but I'd argue so too is the Z3 though. The 6+ I liked the most and wouldn't rule one out for myself at some stage.

Id agree with you here alright. Have seen the iPhone's in the flesh, not held them. They look gorgeous, but I'm just slightly underwhelmed. And the battery on te 6 isn't apparently a huge improvement in the 5S.

Have played around with the Z3 for a few minutes, and likewise, it feels gorgeous. And the screen is stunning. Lack of Sky Go for a few weeks would be a pain in the ass, but I'd deal with it.

Can I ask what's the draw to the iphone 6? From what I've seen spec wise it's overhyped and overprice and falls short in almost every aspect to the Samsung Galaxy 5? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnm8u-WCe-o)

The Z3 Compact would be my choice (or the Z1 compact given it's got CM 11 support), with a big emphasis on size and battery, even if the Z3 compact falls short to the SG5 in terms of performance and power, but I don't understand what the draw would be to the iPhone when there's much better out there?

Can I ask what's the draw to the iphone 6? From what I've seen spec wise it's overhyped and overprice and falls short in almost every aspect to the Samsung Galaxy 5? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnm8u-WCe-o)

The Z3 Compact would be my choice (or the Z1 compact given it's got CM 11 support), with a big emphasis on size and battery, even if the Z3 compact falls short to the SG5 in terms of performance and power, but I don't understand what the draw would be to the iPhone when there's much better out there?

For me, it's not all about the specs. The iPhone as a complete package just worked. I've never liked any of the Galaxy series. They just felt cheap. The Z3 is the first time an Android phone has really tempted me.

But I do agree, the iPhone's as a whole are over hyped/ over priced.

I suppose the main draw to the iPhone 6 is that I've been using the for 6 years. But, it's time for a change.

The appeal for the average consumer is the simplicity of iOS. My father went from iPhone to a Galaxy S4 and while he's happy enough with it he had to buy a book explaining features of it to him which he never had to do with his iPhone. Would say that most reviews of the Galaxy S5 have mentioned that lag is still there so for me I'd take an iPhone 6 over a S5 any day of the week, the design of the S5 is very ugly to me as well. Much prefer the Z3, M8, Nexus 5 or G3 to it.

I got to play with an iPhone 6 while on holidays in Madrid in the Apple Store there and was underwhelmed. The design is really poor in comparison to the 5 or 4, the white lines on the back are particularly unsightly in person. Looks like the HTC One M7 except uglier. Can't understand why there is a protruding camera lens as well, just asking for it to get scratched. Having said all that I can absolutely see the appeal of the iPhone. The way it is now with phones, you really can't go to far wrong with any of the flagships, they're all pretty great and have their own strengths and weaknesses.

I'd be curious as to what about the Z3 has got you interested Chuck? Its not all that different looks wise to the Z2 and specs are only marginal increase?

The appeal for the average consumer is the simplicity of iOS. My father went from iPhone to a Galaxy S4 and while he's happy enough with it he had to buy a book explaining features of it to him which he never had to do with his iPhone. Would say that most reviews of the Galaxy S5 have mentioned that lag is still there so for me I'd take an iPhone 6 over a S5 any day of the week, the design of the S5 is very ugly to me as well. Much prefer the Z3, M8, Nexus 5 or G3 to it.

I got to play with an iPhone 6 while on holidays in Madrid in the Apple Store there and was underwhelmed. The design is really poor in comparison to the 5 or 4, the white lines on the back are particularly unsightly in person. Looks like the HTC One M7 except uglier. Can't understand why there is a protruding camera lens as well, just asking for it to get scratched. Having said all that I can absolutely see the appeal of the iPhone. The way it is now with phones, you really can't go to far wrong with any of the flagships, they're all pretty great and have their own strengths and weaknesses.

I'd be curious as to what about the Z3 has got you interested Chuck? Its not all that different looks wise to the Z2 and specs are only marginal increase?

I agree the specs are only a marginal increase over the Z2, and I quite like the Z2 as well. But I just think the Z3 looks slightly slicker, slightly more premium. It seems to be a better representation of Sonys OmniBalance design style

Yeah I know what you mean, I had no interest whatsoever in the Z2 but the Z3 does look that little bit slicker and has me interested though thats largely due to Remote Play.

Thanks, I definitely understand the appeal of the iPhone to some users if it's what they are used to or not so comfortable with android. Android can certainly on first impressions appear to be a lot more complicated, especially when manufacturers bloat up their handsets and then when the mobile providers add their own crap too, but with android, everything can be customised and here's a pretty good example of this in practice with a technophobe: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056599966

Of course apple devices are certainly aesthetically slick, across pretty much all apple products and this will appeal to some too so it all comes down to individual preference.

We're lucky there's such a wide variety of devices to suit everyone. The Z3 or Z1 (if the Z3 won't have CM 11) for me right now would be the best choice. I'm currently using the Motorola XT890 Razr i, again this has a big emphasis on a nice compact size and decent battery, but the Z1/Z3 kicks its ass so would be a nice upgrade.

The S5 has the specs but the performance isn't up to scratch. I went from the older iPhone 5s to one and it was far slower in day to day use and the battery wasn't much better considering it was almost twice the size. Apple seem to be able to make the on paper specs work much better than any Android I've used tbh. Messing about with the two 6s today they were lighting fast no matter what I threw at them. They were very impressive tbh.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Picked up the orange Z3c today on Emobile upgrade. Lovely so far. Nice light phone

• Advertisement

Yeah I know what you mean, I had no interest whatsoever in the Z2 but the Z3 does look that little bit slicker and has me interested though thats largely due to Remote Play.

I had looked at the Z2, primarily because of the battery life. A couple of the lads in work have them, and easily get a day/ day as a half with heavy usage. The lee is one little annoyance with the Z2 though. Some of the lads have lost them due to the sharp corners ripping holes in their jeans pockets.

The screen is a big draw, not so much the Remote Play. Would be a nice bonus, but not a deal breaker.

Time to go get one tomorrow i think.

Be sure to post impressions etc here if you pick one up.

The S5 has the specs but the performance isn't up to scratch. I went from the older iPhone 5s to one and it was far slower in day to day use and the battery wasn't much better considering it was almost twice the size. Apple seem to be able to make the on paper specs work much better than any Android I've used tbh. Messing about with the two 6s today they were lighting fast no matter what I threw at them. They were very impressive tbh.

It would be interesting to see how the performance works side by side when having to carry out a certain number of tasks. I use my android for work and have to switch between apps to do different tasks very quickly, I might add a new contact, have to check something in the calendar and maybe copy some text, open an address on google maps from the calendar, go to the browser to check something there and maybe paste something, back to dialer to phone a customer, open sms to reply to somebody else and the likes, the quicker this can all be accomplished the better and all the better without lag between switching apps. Fancy fading animations between apps or fancy switching screens that look pretty but aren't function are of no interest to me so would be interesting to see side by side practical usage tests carrying out the same tasks.

I would say it depends on the Android phone that your using, in my experience there is no question that Samsung phones have a slight lag when switching between apps or hitting the home button, its mentioned in most reviews of the galaxy series that I've read though I admit I'm out of the loop regarding reviews of the S5 as I'm not that interested in it. I've heard the G3 has some lag as well and older android phones seem to develop lag similar to older iPhones when they're updated to the latest iOS. By contrast the Nexus series are lag free as is the HTC M8 and Z3, or at least that seems to be the consensus.

It would be interesting to see how the performance works side by side when having to carry out a certain number of tasks. I use my android for work and have to switch between apps to do different tasks very quickly, I might add a new contact, have to check something in the calendar and maybe copy some text, open an address on google maps from the calendar, go to the browser to check something there and maybe paste something, back to dialer to phone a customer, open sms to reply to somebody else and the likes, the quicker this can all be accomplished the better and all the better without lag between switching apps. Fancy fading animations between apps or fancy switching screens that look pretty but aren't function are of no interest to me so would be interesting to see side by side practical usage tests carrying out the same tasks.

I switched the animations off and it still lagged. Was great with CM11 mind but no better than the 5s. So far the Z3 is a lot snappier.

Herself took the S5 and is even complaining about it already coming from a Note 2.

Be sure to post impressions etc here if you pick one up.

Will do. The wife will be delighted. Been wrecking her head all day about which to get. She's also going to use me as a test case, coz she's an iPhone user as well, and hers is long past dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Got my Z3 on Thursday and have to say I love it. I have had numerous other android phones from HTC and Samsung. But have to say the Z3 beats them hands down. Build quality is top notch. Screen is fabulous and it runs so smoothly. Have not used the camera really yet.

I have had a good play with a friends iPhone 6 and not impressed with its design to be honest. IPhone 5 is much nicer phone to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Lads, i really want the compact, are Meteor the only firm selling it?

Slattsy wrote: »
    Lads, i really want the compact, are Meteor the only firm selling it?

O2 and Vodafone too I believe.

Got my Z3 on Thursday and have to say I love it. I have had numerous other android phones from HTC and Samsung. But have to say the Z3 beats them hands down. Build quality is top notch. Screen is fabulous and it runs so smoothly. Have not used the camera really yet.

I have had a good play with a friends iPhone 6 and not impressed with its design to be honest. IPhone 5 is much nicer phone to me.

All going well, I'll be getting mine a bit later. Out of curiosity, what was in the box? I know the noise cancelling head phones weren't. A Sony rep had told me they were bundling "extra content" instead. Any idea what this was?

All going well, I'll be getting mine a bit later. Out of curiosity, what was in the box? I know the noise cancelling head phones weren't. A Sony rep had told me they were bundling "extra content" instead. Any idea what this was?

Nothing extra in the box unfortunately....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

Nothing extra in the box unfortunately....

Extra content in z3 box would be the noise cancelling headphones

billbond4 wrote: »

Just ordinary headphones in my z3 box😢

There's a free garmin app with offline maps included. Haven't looked at the Sony bits yet mind.

billbond4 wrote: »

They don't come with the Z3 though?

Knowing Sony they'll probably give a free movie to buyers.

I have ordered the charging dock and a case off amazon

Z3 bought. On the way home to play with it now!

Z3 bought. On the way home to play with it now!

What colour did you get and what network? You will love it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I have to say, the floating 2nd app window is great. Loading the browser while writing an email at the same is a great feature!

What colour did you get and what network? You will love it.

Black and with 3. I'd be loving it even more if I could connect it to my router. Won't feckin authenticate to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

is the z3 a huge upgrade on the z2?

• Advertisement
Advertisement