Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Stephen's Green traffic - even worse than it should be?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

cython wrote: »
    I beg to differ, as I have walked across Hume Street with a green man showing at that very crossing several times in the last few weeks, since it's on my way to Pearse Station from work.

That's interesting - I go that way several times a day, and haven't seen the green man showing for at least the last couple of weeks. The one across the Green itself is working fine.

I'll be passing it again in the next half an hour...[EDIT]yep, no green man.[/EDIT]

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Even without the diversion, its still taking a while. I got the 140 to rathmines from D'olier street, took 35 minutes. Could have walked it faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

What is perhaps most notable about the Luas BXD,SSG-O Connell St corridor is the strong sense that the City "Authorities" have NO actual Traffic Management plan in place to accompany the work.

The situation along Dawson Street is,at best,dangerous during an ordinary working day.

However in the evenings and at week-end I contend that these streets well exceed any reasonable persons definition of a Safe Environment.

The lack of ANY dedicated Garda or Traffic Warden presence along the corridor,coupled with the refusal of the RPA/DCC to pro-actively segregate pedestrian and vehicular traffic along the most dangerous stretch (SSG North-Molesworth St) should be resulting,IMO,in enforcement action by the RSA or the Health & Safety Authority against the City Manager and the CEO of the RPA (As the authority with Liability for the actual work).

It is highly noteworthy that,for the Trinity Ball,significant Pavement Edge barriers were erected at critical points,to good effect...The actual infrastructure looked as if it had been though through and applied by somebody with professional levels of understanding and commonsense,rather than the "enthusiastic amateur" appearance which currently envelops the BXD project operations.

The BXD "gang" appear to be proceeding on the basis that "if we stick at it,we can get it finished before somebody gets killed".

The can be no excuse for the dogged insistance on maintaining the Status-Quo in the face of such massive disruption,when best-practice and commonsense screams otherwise.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

Try pressing the button Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 17,557 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

cloud493 wrote: »
    Even without the diversion, its still taking a while. I got the 140 to rathmines from D'olier street, took 35 minutes. Could have walked it faster.

Well it would help if you put that statement into context by at least stating what time of the day it was and what part of Rathmines (it's a big place!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

11 in the morning isn, maybe 10.55. And the 140 doesn't go that far into rathmines so :P the stop outside aldi, don't know the number of it.

pclive wrote: »
    Try pressing the button Scofflaw

Strangely enough, I have tried that.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 17,557 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

cloud493 wrote: »
    11 in the morning isn, maybe 10.55. And the 140 doesn't go that far into rathmines so :P the stop outside aldi, don't know the number of it.

That is very unusual - in my experience it never takes that long.

There must have been a serious traffic jam somewhere en route to cause that sort of delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

The 8.05 140 from Rathmines used to appear like clockwork. In the last 2 weeks it has become completely unreliable.

The lady on the DB phone line says that this is a knock-on of earlier traffic delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Scofflaw wrote: »
    That's interesting - I go that way several times a day, and haven't seen the green man showing for at least the last couple of weeks. The one across the Green itself is working fine.

I'll be passing it again in the next half an hour...[EDIT]yep, no green man.[/EDIT]

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Green man sighted on Monday evening at 17:57. Pretty sure I would have seen it sooner had I not been off work and away for the intervening week.

• Advertisement

Significant Traffic Management issues now developing at this location.
    Drivers heading for SSG North/Dawson Street are increasingly reluctant to merge into the correct (single) left turn lane.

Instead they head(at speed) down the two right-turn lanes,all the way to the last possible merge point before forcing their way across onto the left lane.

The fact that a SOLID WHITE LINE is in place after the Hume Street Junction appears irrelevant to these people,but since the authorities appear oblivious to the situation theybhave created,why worry ??

I would see an urgent requirement for a series of "Floppy Bollards" as were used successfully at the top of Kildare Street,and which,had somebody bothered to study Driver Behavioural patterns,would have prevented the nonsense which we currently have to endure.

The incredible faith which Irish Roads and Traffic professionals place in Solid Bordered Hatched Resevations is IMO seriously misplaced and needs reviewing ASAP.

Anybody who has ever attempted a bit of "Drovering" will know that animals in transit require strong and definite guidance in terms of sideboards,creels and barriers to ensure a safe journey.......we humans tend to have similar requirements ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

cython wrote: »
    Green man sighted on Monday evening at 17:57. Pretty sure I would have seen it sooner had I not been off work and away for the intervening week.

Yeah, it's back now alright. Wasn't for a while - maybe a week or fortnight.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The works been carried out on Dawson St. are dangerous and took over 15 minutes the other night to clear there was 4 lanes made to get into the single lane to enter Dawson St. and then had people falling off the path and just walking out in front the road is so narrow and then the taxis were just acting like there were no works and that there rank was still there.

12 at night and never have I seen traffic like that even at the worst time of the day.

The works been carried out on Dawson St. are dangerous and took over 15 minutes the other night to clear there was 4 lanes made to get into the single lane to enter Dawson St. and then had people falling off the path and just walking out in front the road is so narrow and then the taxis were just acting like there were no works and that there rank was still there.

12 at night and never have I seen traffic like that even at the worst time of the day.

+1 !

The manner in which the City Council,Gardai,RPA and RSA have been allowed to wash their hands of this travesty cannot go unaddressed.

These agencies appear to believe that their responsibility for Public Safety exists only during the hours of work on the BXD site.

I most certainly does not end there....the manner in which the Dawson Street works have been carried out,in terms of Public Safety,is I would suggest worth the Heath & Safety Authority taking a few Executive Engineering types to court on...However this,I concede,would be unthinkable for an Irish Administrative Body.

The Admiral Nelson eyepatch approach is just far simpler in the long run....unless somebody gets killed in the meantime,whereupon the usual witchunt would be put in place to find a suitable minion to blame !

Advertisement