Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus Mythbuster

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I have told the driver upon alighting the bus and he just shrugged. I know it's 3am, I know you're dealing with drunk people, but it is unacceptable for people to smoke on the bus. These people are always seated upstairs. I actually did ask the person to stop smoking the last time, but on 2 other occasions, I guess I didn't want a punch. Sometimes you just have to put the head down & say nothing.

Thank you Alek for your informative reply.

As a Driver,I have to ask what response would you expect when the notification is recieved from a person LEAVING the vehicle,having presumably decided not to object to the law-breakers in person ?

Whenever I have been approached by a passenger with a smoking complaint IN GOOD TIME,I have had no difficulty dealing with the issue via the PA system (Coupled with pulling in and switching off the engine).

Generally an announcement that the journey will NOT continue whilst passengers are smoking is enough to focus OTHER passengers attention on whatever eejits are puffing away.

However,If I am not notified at the earliest opportunity in the journey,then there is NOTHING I can do.

The actual process which must be followed to secure a successful prosecution under the tobacco regulations,is extremely lengthy and requires considerable resources to even get to Court,never mind securing a suitable outcome.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Yes, thank you, I understand your point.

He could have said 'okay, thank you for telling me' and made his announcement then? Anyway, I just wanted to throw my query out there. It's something I always think 'right, I'm going to make a complaint in the morning' but I never do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I have told the driver upon alighting the bus and he just shrugged. I know it's 3am, I know you're dealing with drunk people, but it is unacceptable for people to smoke on the bus. These people are always seated upstairs. I actually did ask the person to stop smoking the last time, but on 2 other occasions, I guess I didn't want a punch. Sometimes you just have to put the head down & say nothing.

As someone who works in public transport i'm just as worried about getting a clatter as you are so i'll occasionally let some stuff slide when i'm working on my own.

I've been threaten enough times and know enough other lads who've gotten attacked that i have no desire to be a hero. The company will try and shift the blame for the incident back to you and even if they don't a judge will try their best to get the perpetrator off because they will inevitably be a member of the group we call "the disadvantaged" so they have no fear of making a go for you.

Only two days ago a fella threaten to "slice me up" while he was standing about an inch from my face. He'd just been kicked off a train by security and a checker for having no ticket and smoking in the toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Here is the other problem, you informed the driver as you were alighting, you were the witness, you are the complaining party, and you are leaving the bus. The driver hasn't actually witnessed anything.
    If he calls the Gardai who will he tell them to speak to, remove from the bus etc etc ? That's of course if the Gardai turn up, how long will it be before they turn up what will the up to 90 mostly intoxicated other passengers do while the bus waits at the side of the road at 3 in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

SameDiff wrote: »
    I wonder how long I would last in my place of employment if I spend my lunchtime commenting on the "complete ignorance" of those who pay my wages..

You've not worked in retail, so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Tickityboo wrote: »
    Which is why I ensure I get as much money for my company as possible.

You work for a State company providing a public service, your goal is not to make a profit, but to provide the best service possible for your passengers who rely on a bus to get from A to B.

CIE employee's really need to take a Customer Service class, sheer rudeness off a lot of you, I'm not saying ALL staff, but certainly a lot of you.

I'll never see it your way, a driver wouldn't let my 15 year old brother off the bus because he didn't believe he was 15, that's right, OFF the bus.

He let him on but of course after a growl which is reminiscent of Jabba the Hutt. He then drove past my brothers stop and wouldn't let him off until about 5 stops later.

Justify that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Mahogany wrote: »
    You work for a State company providing a public service, your goal is not to make a profit, but to provide the best service possible for your passengers who rely on a bus to get from A to B.

CIE employee's really need to take a Customer Service class, sheer rudeness off a lot of you, I'm not saying ALL staff, but certainly a lot of you.

I'll never see it your way, a driver wouldn't let my 15 year old brother off the bus because he didn't believe he was 15, that's right, OFF the bus.

He let him on but of course after a growl which is reminiscent of Jabba the Hutt. He then drove past my brothers stop and wouldn't let him off until about 5 stops later.

Justify that one.

Only ever one side to every story.

People are very good at making things up so really is that what happened asnd did he press the bell and not give abuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Tickityboo

Justify that one.

Knickers!! I've being doing it wrong all along.
    I should just let people pay whatever they want show me whoevers free travel pass they want and the jobs a goodun!!

Where will the shortfall in revenue come from?Higher fares which were just announced today and not from the government.

Which is why it's better for you as a customer if we make money rather than worrying about if we smile and say thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Why are new schedules with last buses at 2335 such a big deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

s8080 wrote: »
    NTA is here to push the fare price up,so when private operators come in and are 20c cheaper than dublin bus, the government can say " look competition good the fares are less than dublin bus.

To be fair to s8080, this would appear (as an outside observer who has nowhere near the level of knowledge or insider info as some of the posters here :)) to have some truth to it.

Over the last 5 years, fares have only increased steadily despite a recession, falling passenger numbers and curtailed services - "Network Direct" IMO has only managed to make the situation worse in a lot of cases .. extending the 27 to Tallaght for example and other "cross city" routes was completely unnecessary if integrated timetabling and change-over points (literally get off one, and get onto another) had been implemented - I remember doing this as a kid in Holland when we lived there for a few years and it just worked!

LEAP (from all I've read about it here) seems to be another typically Irish disaster - slow, unreliable, awkward and inefficient with reader machines that are equally unfit for purpose.

As I said in the fare increases thread, given the fact that most people are still far from the "recovery" the government is bleating on about lately, increasing fares still can only be designed to further hasten the slide in DB services so that when the public finally says "enough!", private operators can be brought in at just under the inflated fares and everyone will think it's fantastic! Maybe it's another clause in the "Bailout Deal" that has us lumbered with the incompetent wasteful mess that is Irish Water.

As the regulars know, I don't use DB, and haven't in years - but as an outsider looking in there seems to be a whole other agenda here beyond DB (drivers) vs the NTA vs the punter to me.

• Advertisement

Dublin Bus have always asked for a higher increase than the NTA have allowed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭dublinstevie

Justify that one.

bet you he didn't ring the bell,just stand there staring into space saying nothing relying on the drivers psychic mind reading skills that he wants off.

bet you he didn't ring the bell,just stand there staring into space saying nothing relying on the drivers psychic mind reading skills that he wants off.

He did, and said numerous times sorry but that was my stop but the man didn't listen.

Only ever one side to every story.

People are very good at making things up so really is that what happened asnd did he press the bell and not give abuse

He's a good kid, polite and courteous.

Driver only had beef cause he's tall for his age. Of course he didn't have ID because 15 year old's don't have identification on them.

Having said all this I thought it was a good move to bring the adult age up to 18, after all it is the adult age...

Daylight robbery paying adult fare aged 16/17.

Knickers!! I've being doing it wrong all along.
    I should just let people pay whatever they want show me whoevers free travel pass they want and the jobs a goodun!!

Where will the shortfall in revenue come from?Higher fares which were just announced today and not from the government.

Which is why it's better for you as a customer if we make money rather than worrying about if we smile and say thanks.

Take it up with the Department of Transport. All these occurrences will keep happening until those fares are brought down by the way, so again, don't be blaming the customers, isn't the customer always right ;)

He did, and said numerous times sorry but that was my stop but the man didn't listen.

Were you there as it is very easy telling 1 side but would be nice to know other side to the story.

You could be 100% right and they have told you the whole story but very doubtful thats everything that went down.

I have been told by different people that I have kidnapped them and taken them further stops against their will and going to report me etc etc... but always find it very funny that they are the ones that never press the bell or even make it obvious they are actually looking to get off.

I am not making this up I really don't know what their problems are or what they are thinking.

Had a complaint in 2 years ago stating I would not let passenger/customer out at last 2 stops when they had pressed the bell(but this was a lie along with a load of other rubbish 3 full pages long)

The person never got up or approached the doors and also never pressed the bell.

I have proof of this from the video which was checked.

He wanted to fight and argue as I have no other explanation to it as I done nothing on the person.
    I showed them how the stop sogn would light up but oh no how dare I speak to them aggresively and threatening:pac::pac: and as they still had not pressed another passenger did and it lit up but I got I am going to have your job and going straight to the Gardai.

Wow some have very little to do in their lives and eat away at others.

The uniform should be scrapped as that seems to be what they go for;)

He's a good kid, polite and courteous.

Driver only had beef cause he's tall for his age. Of course he didn't have ID because 15 year old's don't have identification on them.

Having said all this I thought it was a good move to bring the adult age up to 18, after all it is the adult age...

Daylight robbery paying adult fare aged 16/17.

So there are no more problems this is with the special personal LEAP card and can only be used by card owner.

I will take your word for it that is a bad experience but weird he waited till he was getting off as usually the trouble would be at the start.

Take it up with the Department of Transport. All these occurrences will keep happening until those fares are brought down by the way, so again, don't be blaming the customers, isn't the customer always right ;)

I don't need to take it up with the N.T.A . I don't have to pay the higher fares!!

But in the course of my duties I will try and ensure the customers pay the correct fare for their journey.

The person who came up with the customer is always right deserves a slap!! because it couldn't be further from the truth.

Respect works both ways and I will always treat people the way they treat me.
    If they treat me nice they get it back in spades if they treat me like a dick they get it right back at them when warrented and when people get on and may be a bit grumpy no biggie I'll still give them a please and thankyou.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

So there are no more problems this is with the special personal LEAP card and can only be used by card owner.

I will take your word for it that is a bad experience but weird he waited till he was getting off as usually the trouble would be at the start.

15 year olds dont need to have a personalized card now.

• Advertisement

15 year olds dont need to have a personalized card now.

Never said 15 but 16 over do;)

As op said kid looks older this would help with all the confusion if any and the child fare only applies to LEAP in the new form of up to under 19 years old.

16 year olds paying cash will ahve to pay adult fare.

I don't need to take it up with the N.T.A . I don't have to pay the higher fares!!

But in the course of my duties I will try and ensure the customers pay the correct fare for their journey.

The person who came up with the customer is always right deserves a slap!! because it couldn't be further from the truth.

Respect works both ways and I will always treat people the way they treat me.
    If they treat me nice they get it back in spades if they treat me like a dick they get it right back at them when warrented and when people get on and may be a bit grumpy no biggie I'll still give them a please and thankyou.

If you do that working in a shop you won't last a second.

What shop do you go to..

If you act the d1ck in a shop security would be on you pretty quick so don't see your point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Never said 15 but 16 over do;)

As op said kid looks older this would help with all the confusion if any and the child fare only applies to LEAP in the new form of up to under 19 years old.

16 year olds paying cash will ahve to pay adult fare.

But the poster you quoted said that their kid is 15 and as such is not valid to get a personalised card.

But the poster you quoted said that their kid is 15 and as such is not valid to get a personalised card.

They can if they want..

They said they have no I.D so this would be one form of it.

I was just helping out so they knoiw how to not have problems when 16 as getting the LEAP cd works out much cheaper.

Stop reading into it so much.

What shop do you go to..

If you act the d1ck in a shop security would be on you pretty quick so don't see your point.

If you are working in a shop and you are cheeky in any way to a customer you'd be fired on the spot!!

Same should be said for bus drivers!

• Advertisement

If you are working in a shop and you are cheeky in any way to a customer you'd be fired on the spot!!

You know where the door is:pac:

I have worked in retail and no way would I let someone disrespect me. Never have and never will.

You know where the door is:pac:

I have worked in retail and no way would I let someone disrespect me. Never have and never will.

If an assistant in Tesco were to say things like; "Not my problem" "Don't get cheeky with me" they'd be fired right away.

There is the right way to phrase something and the wrong way. That's what customer service is.

If an assistant in Tesco were to say things like; "Not my problem" "Don't get cheeky with me" they'd be fired right away.

There is the right way to phrase something and the wrong way. That's what customer service is.

How would you be sacked for that..

Many a time I have seen and heard management tell these certain disrespecting types where to go and come back when they want to speak with some respect.

No winning in DB your wrong when your right so dammed if you do and dammed if ya don't.

Can't be fired straight away, will have to go through official warning processes.

What a sad way to live your life!!
    To let people treat you like sh1t and be afraid to speak up for yourself.
    Maybe if people did speak up for themselves and not be wimps the world would be a nicer place.

• Advertisement

What a sad way to live your life!!
    To let people treat you like sh1t and be afraid to speak up for yourself.
    Maybe if people did speak up for themselves and not be wimps the world would be a nicer place.

Funny you should mention that because that attitude is what is tearing the world apart. Ego's, Revenge etc that way of thinking.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    To be fair to s8080, this would appear (as an outside observer who has nowhere near the level of knowledge or insider info as some of the posters here :)) to have some truth to it.

Over the last 5 years, fares have only increased steadily despite a recession, falling passenger numbers and curtailed services - "Network Direct" IMO has only managed to make the situation worse in a lot of cases .. extending the 27 to Tallaght for example and other "cross city" routes was completely unnecessary if integrated timetabling and change-over points (literally get off one, and get onto another) had been implemented - I remember doing this as a kid in Holland when we lived there for a few years and it just worked!

LEAP (from all I've read about it here) seems to be another typically Irish disaster - slow, unreliable, awkward and inefficient with reader machines that are equally unfit for purpose.

As I said in the fare increases thread, given the fact that most people are still far from the "recovery" the government is bleating on about lately, increasing fares still can only be designed to further hasten the slide in DB services so that when the public finally says "enough!", private operators can be brought in at just under the inflated fares and everyone will think it's fantastic! Maybe it's another clause in the "Bailout Deal" that has us lumbered with the incompetent wasteful mess that is Irish Water.

As the regulars know, I don't use DB, and haven't in years - but as an outsider looking in there seems to be a whole other agenda here beyond DB (drivers) vs the NTA vs the punter to me.
    Stevek101 wrote: »
    Dublin Bus have always asked for a higher increase than the NTA have allowed.

The objective appears to me to be to make the cash fare awkward and much more expensive and to push as many people as possible onto the leap card, if you look leapcard fares in some of the most popular fares have actually decreased and those that rose did so by a small amount compared to the cash fare.

On the last fare increase DB asked for a €3 fare the NTA gave them a €3.05, why ? More expensive and more awkward making leap more attractive that's the goal.

The model for privatization won't be based on fare competition.

Justify that one.

Unfortunately the government takes a different view and they want a service that pays for itself as much as possible, hence fare increases and decreases in subvention, its a political ideology in FG and the party of Labour as usual sit on their hands, the last time FG were in government they managed to reduce the subvention to zero, of course it took massive investment for years to try and get the company back into any shape once FG had left the stage.

Secondly why would anyone justify that ? It is wrong and no one has the right to keep a passenger on board unless they are awaiting the arrival of the gardai. You should have complained immediately.

On a side not if he is an older looking 15 he should consider a photo leapcard even if hr officially doesn't need one just to save himself any hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Im sorry, but if you earn €8.65 an hour and a customer is treating you like ****. You just dont stand there and smile(because your told the customer is king).Just because your a customer, you cant treat staff whatever way you feel because theyy are buying something. I have worked retail and people have lost their **** with me over the most ridiculous things(out of my control). Tell them your in college and suddenly their tone changes because they realise you are no longer the dumb retail assistant in their mind anymore

cdebru wrote: »
    The model for privatization won't be based on fare competition.

Yeah, my rather simple understanding (from the little I've seen) is that it's meant to be similar to a Managed Service type of setup right? Where as the private operator will tender for the route(s) and then be paid by NTA to operate it/them?

Funny you should mention that because that attitude is what is tearing the world apart. Ego's, Revenge etc that way of thinking.

So because I don't let people treat me like dirt I'm egotistical!!

The people who treat people like that are bullies and the best way to deal with a bully is to stand up to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

'The customer is always right' is a mantra that any half decent employer should avoid. Some times they are right but there are certain customers who are wrong and use this phrase as a means of getting what they want.

Some* people are rude and will walk all over you if you let them. Some drivers have been working long enough to recognise these types from their tone and they are dealt with in a manner that they will be receptive to.

Speaking in a calm tone and explaining the situation doesn't work. Remember these people's morals are very different from the norm* so what you and I may see as 'out of order' or wrong, they don't see any issue with.

You see it in almost every aspect of daily life, from queue skippers to fare avoiders.

So while you may see a driver's attitude as out of line with certain customers (some instances you may be correct), other instances may be justified and required in order to deal with someone difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

cdebru wrote: »
    Here is the other problem, you informed the driver as you were alighting, you were the witness, you are the complaining party, and you are leaving the bus. The driver hasn't actually witnessed anything.
    If he calls the Gardai who will he tell them to speak to, remove from the bus etc etc ?
    Isn't that the point of the CCTV?
    so the dublin bus rush hour post.

People complaining about no room on the bus as it passes by without stopping, "dublin bus are a disgrace not putting on extra buses to carry the passengers, they are leaving loads of money at the side of the road."

Dublin bus are well aware of this and would like nothing better than to put on extra buses. Truth is they are forbidden by the NTA to put on extra buses.

Remember folks dont let the truth get in the way when you want to give out about dublin bus.

What about the buses that go past "full" that appear to have seats free upstairs ( and I aceept that's sometimes difficult to tell from the ground) and clearly have no more than 3 people standing downstairs?
    Why (on some routes) can the bus driver not issue the correct tickets at the correct prices?
    on some routes the info on the ticket machine is different from the info you see on the website, example 145 heuston to d'olier st is E1.80 on web site but on ticket machine it is E2.35. Drivers are not out to steal from you, why would they.
    also a lot of passengers just mumble, so driver might hear wrong or drop money into slot with out saying anything, driver takes a quick look and gives the ticket they believe is correct

Why are many drivers incapable of setting their ticket machine correctly? It's a regular occurrence (at least once a week) that the machine is set at the wrong stage. And when it happens, the vast majority of the time it's set to a previous stage, making it appear I've underpaid my fare. If there's adriver change in the city centre, the new drivers sets the machine correctly, and then an inspector gets on, how am I supposed to prove my case?

The most extreme example I've seen was actually this morning, where the machine was set 8 stages back. In order to have a valid ticket I would have had to get off the bus at the stop before I got on! :confused:

Regarding the whole 'attitude' thing with BE employees, I myself would never treat any employees of any company I deal with in the same manner I have been treated by some customers myself.

Nor would I put up with someone I knew doing the same thing.

People in this country automatically think 'public service employee = piece of garbage for me to take my frustration out on'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

MOH wrote: »
    Isn't that the point of the CCTV?

In the case of On Bus Smoking,CCTV can be used in support of evidence given by a BAC Inspector and an Official of the HSE Environmental Health Service.

CCTV images cannot currently be used toinitiatesuch proceedings.

A list of successful convictions for Q3 of this year will perhaps be of some use in understanding where the Authorities concentrate their enforcement efforts.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/about/Who/TobaccoControl/Enforcement/Q1_Tobacco_Convictions.pdf

Without wishing to appear curt about it,making a complaint to a driver re smoking as one departs the Bus,is little more than shirking one's own responsibility whilst expecting the Driver to assume it to little or no avail.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Only two days ago a fella threaten to "slice me up" while he was standing about an inch from my face. He'd just been kicked off a train by security and a checker for having no ticket and smoking in the toilet.
    Well then what the **** was he doing still in the station?

JayRoc wrote: »
    Well then what the **** was he doing still in the station?

His attempts to teleport himself directly from the train to the street outside the station didn't work so he had to walk through the station itself like everyone else does.

That was when he had a go at me.

Seems to be some issues in Dublin Bus today.

https://twitter.com/dublinbusnews/status/530268587282694144

Was there an unofficial dispute?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Could have been an issue with the ticketing equipment maybe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭s8080

management cut the numbers working the night shift.
    the reduced shift cannot refuel,clean bus and swap safes on all the buses before the drivers start in the morning.
    some drivers have to wait around for a bus to be ready to start work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Sure it wasn't the NTA that directed them to do that too?

Talk of potential for some all night services anyone shed some light?

lxflyer wrote: »
    Sure it wasn't the NTA that directed them to do that too?

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
    so you cant refute anything i post, and this is what you have been reduced to.

this mess is a dublin bus bean counter original, the hand of the NTA is not involved.

ask any driver in the morning and they will tell you what i state is true.
    you never know it might be me who you ask.

post what you believe to be true about big bad dublin bus, and watch me tell you the truth, it will be some what different to what you think you know.

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Talk of potential for some all night services anyone shed some light?

not happening

• Advertisement

not happening

Possible single decker purchase on the cards was wondering since it is circa 20 vehicles would we see some being put out on night duties.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement