Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

^The three different modes would still need to agree on a per-km fee for their services. Similar problem.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Aard wrote: »
    ^The three different modes would still need to agree on a per-km fee for their services. Similar problem.

Not really, that is the beauty of the system, each can set their own per km charge. That is how it works in Amsterdam. Metro has the highest per km charge, while buses the lowest. Actually even different bus companies have a different per km charge.

The beauty of this system is that lets say you could take either the Metro or the Bus to the same location. You can opt to either take the faster but more expensive Metro or the cheaper but slower bus.

Also they have a clear sign on the front of every bus and tram telling you what the per km charge is.

So for instance if implemented here, you could have a higher per km charge for the Swords express, given it is more of a premium service, then for the 41.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Ah I wasn't specific enough. I mean that Bus, Luas, and Dart/rail would still need to each devise a per-km fee, separately from each other. As it stands, for example, Luas can cost €2.10 for <1km and €1.70 for 2.8km. So it's not exactly straightforward to map the current zonal system onto a per-km system. It might be just as easy if not easier to simply apply a somewhat arbitrary cap across all operators.

I'm not disputing the advantages of a per-km fare. Just that its implementation is more complicated, and therefore less likely to be adopted over a simple fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Have a question regarding the Luas ticket machines. You know when you topup using coinage and it displays the real time balance on the machine in front of you, how long does that transaction of topping up take to appear online at leap.ie?

Reason I ask is that I topped up at a Luas machine using coinage at the weekend and the actual transaction of topping up has not displayed on my Leap card yet. The actual Luas journey has appeared though.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Andru93

moxin wrote: »
    Have a question regarding the Luas ticket machines. You know when you topup using coinage and it displays the real time balance on the machine in front of you, how long does that transaction of topping up take to appear online at leap.ie?

Reason I ask is that I topped up at a Luas machine using coinage at the weekend and the actual transaction of topping up has not displayed on my Leap card yet. The actual Luas journey has appeared though.

Anywhere between 24 - 48 hours is the norm for top ups to show on your online account!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I bought a Leapcard from a machine in Connolly station but have been getting an error on the website about not being able to use self-service functions when I tried to top-up the card.

So I rang the Leap helpdesk to be told that there is some sort of an ongoing "issue" with the Leapcards sold by Irish Rail.

I can't do any top-ups etc online and if I go to a Payzone agent the card may or may not work. The "issue" with my card might be resolved by Monday or Tuesday.

Is this for real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

nc6000 wrote: »
    I bought a Leapcard from a machine in Connolly station but have been getting an error on the website about not being able to use self-service functions when I tried to top-up the card.

So I rang the Leap helpdesk to be told that there is some sort of an ongoing "issue" with the Leapcards sold by Irish Rail.

I can't do any top-ups etc online and if I go to a Payzone agent the card may or may not work. The "issue" with my card might be resolved by Monday or Tuesday.

Is this for real?

Sounds right anyyway.

syklops wrote: »
    Sounds right anyyway.

Is it usual for it to take up to 6 days before you can actually use a Leapcard?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No - it sounds like some form of technical glitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Normal? I would say no, but here in Ireland anything off script takes 5 working days minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I have a student leap card and it's expiring at the end of the month(I'm no longer a student). I've some credit left on it. Neither the leap site or the student travelcard website have any info relating to my situation. Can I order a new regular leap card and transfer the credit onto it?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

cgcsb wrote: »
    I have a student leap card and it's expiring at the end of the month(I'm no longer a student). I've some credit left on it. Neither the leap site or the student travelcard website have any info relating to my situation. Can I order a new regular leap card and transfer the credit onto it?
    Yes. The existing card will stop working completely in January. You can get a non-personalised card at Payzone agents.

lxflyer wrote: »
    No - it sounds like some form of technical glitch.

Looks like I'm up and running whatever was going on in the background. No more error when I log into the website. :)

Looks like I'm up and running whatever was going on in the background. No more error when I log into the website. :)

Bear in mind that if you do topup online you will still have to go to a payzone agent to activate the topup.

Just ask them for a balance enquiry.

Bear in mind that if you do topup online you will still have to go to a payzone agent to activate the topup.

Just ask them for a balance enquiry.

Just topped up there in a shop thanks.

It's not exactly easy to get setup to use one of these cards.

Just topped up there in a shop thanks.

It's not exactly easy to get setup to use one of these cards.

Well I would advise setting up auto topup - your life will be that much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

I have a really quick question. I get a minimum of 4 buses a day (Monday to Friday) and a couple at the weekend. I currently top up with the 5 day bus rambler which is now €29.50 and gets me all my bus travel for Monday through to Friday, but not at weekends.

I am now wondering if I would be better topping up with €27.50 cash every week (weekly cap) and getting the use for Monday through Sunday. Question is, do I continue to scan the leap card at the validator inside the doors on the bus, or should I go to the driver to take the correct fair each time!?

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

cute_cow wrote: »
    I have a really quick question. I get a minimum of 4 buses a day (Monday to Friday) and a couple at the weekend. I currently top up with the 5 day bus rambler which is now €29.50 and gets me all my bus travel for Monday through to Friday, but not at weekends.

I am now wondering if I would be better topping up with €27.50 cash every week (weekly cap) and getting the use for Monday through Sunday. Question is, do I continue to scan the leap card at the validator inside the doors on the bus, or should I go to the driver to take the correct fair each time!?

Thanks in advance.

It'd be a better idea to get the correct fare so that in any week that you don't take the bus/as many buses for whatever reason you don't pay more than needed.

Its not actually required though - I've been lazy enough to tag on on the right when I knew I was over a tenner on a given day despite the fact that it was a city centre fare (60 cent!) that I was using.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭otterj

how do i go about getting a refund for my leapcard?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

otterj wrote: »
    It doesnt say whether I get my travel credit back aswell?

It's rather long winded but referenced in section 7 of the terms and conditions.

Don't know how to link direct to the section, they are listed here

https://www.leapcard.ie/PageSetting/ContentViewer.aspx?Val=CG%2fCj953WkPB%2b7fwjkLFshsyP7wecX6fiV0VBn3Q632F20yhboVXGTVmv%2b2bImvcFvyDWv8wk%2bd4E5kAGPCvjpJvBUgOhvVEg%2fB6ZgVyLiI6nLqx13jMpsQIKgDUASmGM793kdSI9FJOtf2oYKBBrP3uRbgVAG0ZGo31awr2Vmg%3d

• Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Just ordered an annual Leap card (dart & commuter rail) through my work using taxsaver.ie, up until now I'd been using a standard leap card that i topped up monthly online, it was handy as I used dublin bus the very odd time (use it on the commuter rail 99% of the time) & using the standard leap card covered that obviously. The thing is, with my new anual card if I want to use the bus can the annual leap card be topped up independently to cover luas/dublin bus journeys as it'll be set up to cover dart/rail journeys only. Or would keeping my original card with a nominal amount of credit on it be better for these infrequent journeys of Dublin Bus/Luas?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The only difference with the card you get from work, is that a ticket will be loaded on it for your taxsaver and it has a picture as ID. You can purchase credit or Ramblers or whatever just like you would with the card you have now.

DvB wrote: »
    Just ordered an annual Leap card (dart & commuter rail) through my work using taxsaver.ie, up until now I'd been using a standard leap card that i topped up monthly online, it was handy as I used dublin bus the very odd time (use it on the commuter rail 99% of the time) & using the standard leap card covered that obviously. The thing is, with my new anual card if I want to use the bus can the annual leap card be topped up independently to cover luas/dublin bus journeys as it'll be set up to cover dart/rail journeys only. Or would keeping my original card with a nominal amount of credit on it be better for these infrequent journeys of Dublin Bus/Luas?

For clarification, what you have ordered is a personalised LEAP card, and loaded an annual rail only ticket onto it.

A LEAP card is precisely that - a card, onto which you load tickets and also have an epurse facility. You can load up to 5 different tickets onto the card at the same time.

The card itself is not a ticket.

Just use the epurse on the new card - pointless having two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

For clarification, what you have ordered is a personalised LEAP card, and loaded an annual rail only ticket onto it.

A LEAP card is precisely that - a card, onto which you load tickets and also have an epurse facility. You can load up to 5 different tickets onto the card at the same time.

The card itself is not a ticket.

Just use the epurse on the new card - pointless having two.

Excellent, thanks for the clarification.
    Out of interest, does the annual rail ticket come pre loaded or will it load when i tag on at a station like for online top up's? I'm hoping its that simple TBH.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

The first time you order one of these, the ticket should be on the card. you can always check by putting it into a TVM, or registering online and viewing the card details.

After period it's for, it gets renewed similar to online topups. So that'll be by using it at TVMs or validators when tagging on/off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Sorry lads, quick question as I couldn't find info on the leap card site...

I have a normal, adult Leap Card. I have to make two train journeys on Wednesdays, one going into Connolly Station and then a a train on a different line, but leaving almost straight away from Connolly. So for example, I arrive in Connolly at 9.05 and my subsequent train leaves at 9.10.

The first time I did this journey I tagged on at my starting station and tagged off when walking through the barriers at Connolly. I then turned back around and tagged on and went back through the barriers (looking like an eejit!:pac:) and tagged off after the journey on the next train. The next week I tried to do this however, when I tried to tag back on at Connolly the barriers wouldn't open and some error message displayed basically saying I couldn't tag back on. Credit was not on issue as I topped up that morning.

The ticket guy standing at the barriers let me through after I explained what happened.

Last week, to avoid the same thing happening, I just simply hopped onto my next train departing Connolly without tagging off. When I got to my final destination I tagged off, but seemed to be down a good bit of credit.

Sorry for the tl;dr post but does anyone know what exactly the right procedure is here?! Ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Leap e-purse only valid in the short hop zone

Tag on at origin, tag off at destination, if you change trains you do not need to do anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Thanks, going nowhere! So I can just hop onto my second train from my first?:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement