Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! Got Postgrad Grant last year now SUSI looking for money back?!!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

HI I got a letter saying that they had an internal audit and that I now owe half the fees for 2012/2013, 2013/2014, 2014/2015.

but according to the letters I have received when I applied orginaly and since every year since then I am entilted to full fees

Both my husband and I are unemployed with 3 children

My final 3rd exams are in may

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

pmrc wrote: »
    HI I got a letter saying that they had an internal audit and that I now owe half the fees for 2012/2013, 2013/2014, 2014/2015.

but according to the letters I have received when I applied orginaly and since every year since then I am entilted to full fees

Both my husband and I are unemployed with 3 children

My final 3rd exams are in may

You are better contacting SUSI as they would be the only ones to help you review this.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

Sup08 wrote: »
    You are better contacting SUSI as they would be the only ones to help you review this.

I have down loaded the appeal form and sent it to SUSI,

When I spoke to them they said there are about over 150 people in the same position

The college have never heard of this happending

That is grants been rewarded then the awarding body saying We made an mistake and want the money back

Full Article Here

It's not looking good for anyone that got an over payment if SUSI/CDETB are not allowed to write it off.

Quote from the above article on the Journal.ie Today
    Earlier this year, Ó Foghlú wrote to PAC stating that the City of Dublin Education and Training Board (CDETB), which operates SUSI, has sought approval to write the overpayments off.

When McGuinness expressed dissatisfaction about this, Ó Foghlú said a decision hasn’t been made on this yet but will be “in the near future”, after legal advice has been received.

McGuinness said it was unacceptable that taxpayers could be “expected to carry that €4.1 million, no questions asked”, noting no private business would be able to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

McGuinness talking sh1te as per usual, private businesses write off debts all the time when the cost of pursuing them is more than they are likely to receive.

I'm not saying it's good but the fact that the CDETB have sought to write off the monies owed would imply to me that there's a very good chance they will be written off.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying it's good but the fact that the CDETB have sought to write off the monies owed would imply to me that there's a very good chance they will be written off.

They have sought to write it off because the cost to them (clerical and legal) of trying to recover the money might out-way the actual loss

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭IntoTheAshtray

Hi,

I've just finished my final year of my undergraduate course. As an unemployed mature student (26), I've been receiving BTEA and, having applied for fee grants for the 3 years, have had my full fees paid for each academic year.

About two months ago I was informed by SUSI that, following a reassessment/internal audit, the original decision to grant the full fees were incorrect, and I would now only be receiving 50% for each year. This struck me as odd and I appealed it.

Today, I've been informed that my appeal has been rejected - I'll have to repay 50% of the two years. The third, they stated, has been paid in full as a result of mother's change in employment status - i.e. she lost her job last summer.

Does anyone know where it'll go from here? The letter didn't state how much I owe, how it is to be paid, or when.

This is creating a serious amount of stress at an unneeded time and, needless to say, I do not have the money to repay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 freewilli88

anyone hear from these comboys recently? I did still asking for 2,000

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

anyone hear from these comboys recently? I did still asking for 2,000

You've left it outstanding a year? Responsible adult you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Man11

Wake up dear susi , wake up !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 freewilli88

ED E wrote: »
    You've left it outstanding a year? Responsible adult you are.

I'm not sure of your interest in the thread or whether you have any bearing on the context of it either but do care to elaborate if there's any meat to your comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭nowayout1

Hey guys, I applied for Susi to pay my fees for 2013/14 as I was on back to education allowance & got 100% fees for first year. I was in limbo to go back or not for second year as I had a baby & was looking for work but applied anyway to keep my options open. I got a letter saying I was awarded 50% fees for 2014/15 and I appealed it & January 2015 I was told no it was correct but I now owe them for 2013/14. Anyway I left college November 2014 after receiving a job offer. I got a letter this week saying to fill out a payment plan for a standing order. I have no intention of paying them as I filled the application form in good faith of getting fees paid, if I knew I'd to pay while on BTEA I'd of never applied to progress to third level. Anyone any advice? Is this SUSI's error & not mine? Also I lived with my parents & am currently 27 years old but 25 years old when I applied.

Advertisement