Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duke Nukem Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you know its doing to be another Daikatana

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Better crack out the old electronic boutique preorder receipt.

Should resemble this:

alwaysbetonduke.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

This is the only game I can think of whose hype has now spanned 3 decades!

It'll definitely be out before 2020...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Jeez, watching the stream and apparantly there's gonna be hands-on gameplay for people there.

On a sidenote.......so...................many....................nerds there! :pac:
    Aye. Seen some people playing it on consoles here: http://pax.gamespot.com/video/6275247/

As for the youtube video someone posted above, looks like the video from the original company.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

the_syco wrote: »
    Aye. Seen some people playing it on consoles here: http://pax.gamespot.com/video/6275247/

As for the youtube video someone posted above, looks like the video from the original company.
    That's because a lot of the footage was used from 3D Realms' tech which I assume Gearbox inherited from Take 2 who own the IP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

At least it's in playable form. The last 2 duke videos form... jesus christ 1998 and 2001 were admittedly smoke and mirrors.

gizmo wrote: »
    That's because a lot of the footage was used from 3D Realms' tech which I assume Gearbox inherited from Take 2 who own the IP.
    The video was made by one of the 3D Realms staff. From looking at what he does, the video seemed like his CV. No-one talked to anyone about the game since they started it over a year ago.

The morning that the video clip was done, the dude said it was the first time that 2K had spoken to retailers about it, so I severely doubt that it was the company themselves.

the_syco wrote: »
    The video was made by one of the 3D Realms staff. From looking at what he does, the video seemed like his CV. No-one talked to anyone about the game since they started it over a year ago.

The morning that the video clip was done, the dude said it was the first time that 2K had spoken to retailers about it, so I severely doubt that it was the company themselves.
    Perhaps footage wasn't the correct word. When Gearbox took over the project they inherited all of 3D Realms tech, the most finished of which was shown in the videos we saw a few months ago. It's only natural that Gearbox would build on this in order to make a playable demo in time for PAX.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Well Chinese Democracy did finally see the light of day.

If this does get released what will we be waiting for next?

Half Life ep 3 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    I watched an interesting round-table discussion on the subject. They talked about how the Duke Nukem universe will translate to the present era of gaming and if it's now antiquated.

Link

Duke doesnt age, its all about PARKING BRICKS IN ALIEN TOILETS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,533 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Duke Nukem - Run, point, shoot. Stuff money in a pole dancer's thong. Run, point, shoot.

Halo - Run, point, shoot. Attempt at pretentious story/dialog. Run, point, shoot.

Hasn't really changed all that much in the last decade tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Duke doesnt age, its all about PARKING BRICKS IN ALIEN TOILETS

No doubt. He's a brick-layer, council worker caliber.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    Duke Nukem - Run, point, shoot. Stuff money in a pole dancer's thong. Run, point, shoot.

Halo - Run, point, shoot. Attempt at pretentious story/dialog. Run, point, shoot.

System Shock 2 - Run, point, shoot, upgrade stats, use psi powers, investigate massive non-linear play area, repair weapons, scavenge for vital resources and ammo, research enemies, choose the correct ammo for each enemy, attempt and succeed at pretentious story, piece together story segments yourself, hack security.

It has changed, it's just gotten a lot dumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Who actually gonna get this? I'm tempted. Duke Nukem 3D was one of my first loves...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Who actually gonna get this? I'm tempted. Duke Nukem 3D was one of my first loves...

Anyone who ever played a Duke game must own this piece of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Ancient history at this stage, weren't there pre-release screens of DNF on cavemens walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Yeah, it's on the XBLA with all the add ons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I'm not surprised by this. The IP and code were probably going cheap as the publisher tried to make back some of its money. Gearbox probably picked it up for a good price. A nearly finished game with a strong brand recognition for not that much. You would be mad not to.

Now all they have to do is finish the game, which by the looks of it doesn't require that much more work, and put it out there.

The problem at 3DRealms seems to have been the lead designer just couldn't get a freaking game out there, always changing things. Gearbox shouldn't have that problem.

Wicknight wrote: »
    Now all they have to do is finish the game, which by the looks of it doesn't require that much more work, and put it out there.
    Pretty sure they have finished it, having worked on it for over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Man I thought I was the dogs bollocks playing this when I was a kid. It was covertly played away from parents eyes in my friends house.

It's a game about blowing stuff, cursing and one liners. I'm not much of a gaming guy anymore but I'm definitely picking this up and pretending I'm a child again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

After experiencing a gaming classic utterly ruined by modern sensibilities with "Aliens vs. Predator", I don't expect Duke Nukem to be anything other than the same; a bland, brief disappointment, punctuated by Quick Time Events & terrible controls.

pixelburp wrote: »
    After experiencing a gaming classic utterly ruined by modern sensibilities with "Aliens vs. Predator", I don't expect Duke Nukem to be anything other than the same; a bland, brief disappointment, punctuated by Quick Time Events & terrible controls.
    Modern sensibilities? I'm pretty sure I ripped a guys head off and pulled it through his body out a hole in his chest while playing that game. Not that it made it any more enjoyable of course but given the fact that it's Gearbox I'm definitely going to remain optimistic with this one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

gizmo wrote: »
    Modern sensibilities? I'm pretty sure I ripped a guys head off and pulled it through his body out a whole in his chest while playing that game. Not that it made it any more enjoyable of course but given the fact that it's Gearbox I'm definitely going to remain optimistic with this one.
    Perhaps I should have said "modern gaming sensibilities", I wasn't talking about the violence. AvP had regenerating health, quick time events, console-centric controls & gameplay (in the PC version of course), etc. etc. The game would have benefited by being that bit more retro and not trying to keep the console gamers happy.

Anyway, that's getting off topic ...

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Perhaps I should have said "modern gaming sensibilities", I wasn't talking about the violence. AvP had regenerating health, quick time events, console-centric controls & gameplay (in the PC version of course), etc. etc. The game would have benefited by being that bit more retro and not trying to keep the console gamers happy.

Anyway, that's getting off topic ...
    So, instead of pandering to console players, you want it to pander to PC players? That's just a trade-up, and has no relevancy to the quality or good fit of the design.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

o1s1n wrote: »

I know which version I prefer.TITTIES!!!

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    So, instead of pandering to console players, you want it to pander to PC players? That's just a trade-up, and has no relevancy to the quality or good fit of the design.
    Well no, I just don't want a game full of regenerating health, quick time events and other modern, lazy, gameplay mechanics.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    System Shock 2 - Run, point, **** yourself, shoot, upgrade stats, use psi powers, investigate massive non-linear play area, **** yourself again, repair weapons, scavenge for vital resources and ammo, turn it off cause Shodan and Xerxes are freaking you out too much, research enemies, choose the correct ammo for each enemy, attempt and succeed at pretentious story, freak out, piece together story segments yourself, hack security, sit quietly thinking about how freaky and fantastic the ending was.

FYP :P

Well no, I just don't want a game full of regenerating health, quick time events and other modern, lazy, gameplay mechanics.
    While I was, for want of a better term, a hardcore PC gamer for years, I did get into consoles this generation and the last new game I remember playing which had health pick-ups was Resistance on the PS3. Surprisingly enough, I thought it was ****ing horrible and totally broke the immersion of the game. I may give the Half-Life games another whack to see how it feels within the confines of a good game but either way, I certainly wouldn't write it off as a negative console effect.

QTEs, when used correctly, also improve games as they allow for more dramatic/cinematic scenes. Again, not something I'd see as negative by-product of console development nor lazy gameplay mechanics.

Well a normal soldier taking about 50 bullets to the head and recovering by sitting behind some cover for 5 seconds isn't exactly immersive either. Medikits are fine in games when used right.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well a normal soldier taking about 50 bullets to the head and recovering by sitting behind some cover for 5 seconds isn't exactly immersive either. Medikits are fine in games when used right.
    Oh true, however I'd consider taking cover in the middle of a firefight in order to heal to be less game-breaking than breaking off and scurrying around a map looking for a health pick-up. I guess my point is more that using health regeneration isn't automatically an example of lazy gameplay design.

Advertisement