Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

6.46k in 36.26 (5.38 average)

Another slow and easy run. Legs feel much better today, should be fine by the morning.

this month: 17/184.28
    this year: 77/792.63

19.18 :(

(gun time 19.22, chip time matches the Garmin, 19.18)

Maybe it was the sun (I don't do well in the heat) maybe it was doing too much during the week, maybe it was just all in my mind, but I never felt good running this. I was near enough to the start to avoid congestion - there didn't seem to be an elite pen this year, but the very front of the race seemed to sort itself automatically into club runners- and the first k was on target, 3.39, but it felt like work from the beginning. Second k much the same, 3.43, but harder than it should have been. Third k is always a pain, that long stretch along the canal, and it was pretty slow this time too, 3.55 - I wasn't watching the splits, but I was checking my average pace and it was creeping up. Fourth k and at least we're on the way back. Some guy started closing on me from behind, breathing like a horse, flapping his lips with every exhale :confused: He passed me after about 500m and I'd swear he stopped making that noise as soon as he did :rolleyes: Between trying to get away from him (or at least hold him off) and the internal HTFU lecture this k was a bit better, 3.49. Last k though I was wrecked, no other gear to find, 3.48 was the best I could manage. Turned back onto Dawson street and my 'sprint' lasted about 50m, so that extra 112m took 22 seconds (3.18 pace)

this month: 18/189.39
    this year: 78/797.74

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Sorry to hear the race didn't go to plan Ray but still a good time. Great tactic by the opposition :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Have to say I thought it was very hot out there today, the sun nearly killed me. I saw you at the start warming up - you looked very serious and purposeful, totally in the zone. I think 19:18 is a brilliant time - well done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Hey... If 19:18 is on a bad day then you must be doing something right!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Good running Ray- very enjoyable race...

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Was that you in the yellow singlet? Didn't want ti shout encouragement in case it wasn't. Thought you looked very comfortable coming past the shelbourne at the end.

antomagoo wrote: »
    Was that you in the yellow singlet? Didn't want ti shout encouragement in case it wasn't. Thought you looked very comfortable coming past the shelbourne at the end.

Yellow and green singlet, I think it was the only Bros Pearse singlet on show. But I wasn't feeling very comfortable, so it couldn't have been me...

18.17 in 97.36 (5.22 pace)

Running on autopilot today - Marathon Talk on, and up to Tymon Park to weave in and around the football pitches. A bit stiff and slow at first, but running comfortably by the end.

this month: 19/207.56
    this year: 79/815.91 (past the 500 mile mark)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

RayCun wrote: »
    Yellow and green singlet, I think it was the only Bros Pearse singlet on show. But I wasn't feeling very comfortable, so it couldn't have been me...

That was you I saw alright. I don't know Ray maybe you have some reverse Zen thing going on when your running, calm on the outside, turmoil on the inside :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Well done Ray, great time.

15.26 in 79.20 (5.12 pace)

Can't make club training tonight so just a run home (with a loop around UCD first)

this month: 20/222.82
    this year: 80/831.17

9.63 in 50.38 (5.15 pace)

...and back into work. Legs feeling a bit tired now, the last few days catching up on them

this month: 21/232.45
    this year: 81/840.8

7.58 in 50.40 (6.41 average - didn't stop the clock for rest intervals)

Club session tonight, 12x400 -4x400 with a minute rest, 4x400 with 45 seconds, 4x400 with 30 seconds rest.
    Didn't work out quite like that - we were running on the path so never got the distance quite right -a bit short the first interval, a bit long the rest and I think all our rests were a bit long, but still, tough session. Pace in the low 3.30's on average -a bit faster on the slight downhills, a bit slower on the slight uphills.

That's the last session of winter training. Clocks going forward this weekend so we'll be back in Cherryfield park next week. It'll be good to get back on the grass, have the track for intervals, and just to be running in the light again...

this month: 22/240.03
    this year: 82/848.38

8.78 in 49.26 (5.37 pace)

Slow and easy recovery run into work today. Tired, tired legs...

this month: 23/248.81
    this year: 83/857.16

Time to reset the training paces

Recovery: 5.27-5.46 5.24 - 5.43
    Easy: 4.50-5.09 4.47 - 5.05
    Long: 4.50-5.27 4.47 - 5.24
    Tempo run/interval 4.07-4.18/4.04-4.12 4.04-4.15/4.01-4.09

hmmm
    I don't think I was hitting the old ones consistently - my easy runs are usually slowed down by roads and traffic lights, but still - so the new ones will be a bit of a stretch :rolleyes:

Two hours long run (calling it 22.5k because 14 miles was my Jantastic target)

Garmin must have switched itself on in my bag yesterday, because the battery was gone in about 5 minutes :mad: Wouldn't mind so much on another run - into work is 8.5k, loop around UCD and home is 15k, club sessions are all about effort - but today I wanted to keep an eye on pace and distance. :rolleyes:

Anyway - through the local park, then up for a loop around Bushy,then over to Cherryfield for a run over the hill, back through Tymon (passing the runers arriving for the Urban Trails race, looked like a good crowd) and then home. About 5/6k from home the effort levels suddenly rose - I would have liked to have the watch to know what pace I'd been doing up to then, and if it dropped or just felt harder but... :rolleyes:

this month: 24/271.31
    this year: 84/879.66

6.75 in 37.52 (5.37 pace)

usual Sunday recovery run, and my legs feel much better for it

this month: 25/278.06
    this year: 85/886.41

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Just looking at Jantastic there and I see you are marked down for a 100% score - fair play to you!

Have you managed to maintain your perfect sunning streak for 2012 so far?

It should be 99.67 :) - I've kept up the running streak and hit all my long runs, but dropped points in March for missing my 5k target. 100% in January and February, 99% in March.
    I've holidays coming up at the end of May and that will be the real test for the running streak - unless I get injured or something before then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    It should be 99.67 :) - I've kept up the running streak and hit all my long runs, but dropped points in March for missing my 5k target. 100% in January and February, 99% in March.
    I've holidays coming up at the end of May and that will be the real test for the running streak - unless I get injured or something before then.

You have to run on holidays, that is if you're heading to the heat. It's fantastic training.

If you're skiing....good luck doing a mile but then again what a mile it would be.

That's still 2 months away...!!

Any idea how they work the 'points' attributed to the Target Race in Marchvellous? Seems to be no logic to me and I can't see it anywhere in the competition scoring rules...?
    Kinda glad its over and done with now though as it felt more of a chore than a incentive...I definitely prefer the 1,000 mile challenge myself!

Mr Slow wrote: »
    You have to run on holidays, that is if you're heading to the heat. It's fantastic training.

I will run, it's the every day bit that's at risk. I'll have to plan the sessions too - it's a great spot for hill work, but anything more than 7/8k and I'll be looping back on myself a lot.

belcarra wrote: »
    Any idea how they work the 'points' attributed to the Target Race in Marchvellous? Seems to be no logic to me and I can't see it anywhere in the competition scoring rules...?

I think one third of your points for March are based on your target race time, and the further away from your predicted time you are the more points you lose. It's done on percentages, so ten minutes off a marathon time is the same as two minutes off a 5k time. The points they show on your profile page are points deducted - the further away from your target you were, the more points will be taken from your March total, so a low score is better than a high one.
    Anyone who doesn't log a race time by the end of the month loses 1/3 of their March points.

10.8 in 55.08 (5.06 pace, but...)

Evening run today. Don't usually get out this late, and if I wasn't keeping up that streak I might not have bothered at all, but I have to make it to 100 at least :)

Run started badly because the Garmin refused to find a satellite signal. After five minutes walking around in front of the house, getting weird looks from the neighbours, I decided to just go. That meant my pace was way off from the start, reading something like 10 minutes at one stage, and 7.03 for the first km :rolleyes:. Anyway, headed off down to Tymon park before the sun set completely and got a lap in before it started getting too dark. Mindful of those training paces I posted the other day I decided to work a little harder, but I knew the average pace reading was useless because of the start and couldn't be arsed changing the display to something more informative. It wasn't until I got home that I found I'd been running about 4.50-4.55 most of the way, which was a pleasant surprise - I'd been putting some effort in, but not a lot.

this month: 26/288.86
    this year: 86/897.21

I no longer wait for the Garmin to find satellites, instead I just head off immediately. I was usually wasting 3-5mins for the thing to register so anymore I check the route when I upload and add in in the title of the run the extra bit at the start where it failed to register/record.

A quick tip that i use is to have 'lap pace' on one screen while having 'pace' on another. This way you have a much better idea of your pace after the first lap split (1km for me), so by lap 2 you are pretty confident of your real pace.

Usually only takes a couple of minutes so I don't mind. Today it went through the whole "Are you indoors?", "Have you travelled hundreds of miles since your last run? thing...
    I'm trying to run more by feel and look at the watch less often (not very successfully, it has to be said) and switching displays would just feed the addiction :)

8.75 in 50.30 (5.46 pace)

Slow trudge into work with my bag on my back.

this month: 27/297.61
    this year: 87/905.96

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

belcarra wrote: »
    I no longer wait for the Garmin to find satellites, instead I just head off immediately. I was usually wasting 3-5mins for the thing to register so anymore I check the route when I upload and add in in the title of the run the extra bit at the start where it failed to register/record.

A quick tip that i use is to have 'lap pace' on one screen while having 'pace' on another. This way you have a much better idea of your pace after the first lap split (1km for me), so by lap 2 you are pretty confident of your real pace.

Just leave the GPS on all the time and hit the training button when you get outside and you will have coverage within 30 secs, thats my way around it.

• Advertisement

Just leave the GPS on all the time and hit the training button when you get outside and you will have coverage within 30 secs, thats my way around it.

I haven't tried that but I think my issue is I live in an apt so when I get outside and search for reception I think the 5 floor building causes interference and delays the satellite registration.

Advertisement