Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no karen millen or coast at weddings?

Options
  • 16-09-2008 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

just read in an irish sunday mag that some brides are putting on wedding invites;
    'no coast or karen millen dresses'

whats that all about? is there something wrong with those shops :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The problem is that most women will go to those shops and hence there is a good probability that you could have two or more women at one wedding wearing the same dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Also, a lot of the brides now buy their bridesmaid dresses in Coast and Karen Millen so id say its to save the guests from looking like they're part of the wedding party!

Saw an invite recently that said ''no karen millen or coast dresses. cash only presents'' thought it was awful cheeky!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

:eek:
    supermouse wrote: »
    Also, a lot of the brides now buy their bridesmaid dresses in Coast and Karen Millen so id say its to save the guests from looking like they're part of the wedding party!

Saw an invite recently that said ''no karen millen or coast dresses. cash only presents'' thought it was awful cheeky!!!

WHAT?? :confused: I know what I'd do with them lol... "Sorry I'm washing my hair that day" :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

supermouse wrote: »

Really? :eek:

I could kind of understand the request if the bridesmaid dresses were bought there...Actually, no I can't, get your bridesmaid dresses somewhere else or tip your guests off, but don't tell them what they can or can't wear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Even if well-intended, it's an unbelievably cheeky thing to put on a wedding invite.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

LOL, so pennys is okay then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Sowra

now i get it

I thought it might have been incredibly snobby brides saying karen millen/coast wasnt posh enough or something!

that 'cash only presents' thing, extremely cheeky alright :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Perhaps all the guests should take a picture of their dress and send it to the bride or bridesmaid, so they can correlate who is wearing what..

Anything is better than telling people what to wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

Some of the coast stores are keeping notes of which dresses are being used for which wedding so it might be an idea to ask first.Nothing worse than turning up in the same dress as somebody else even worse if its the bridesmaids as there would be a few of them anyway :)
    I dont think the bride is being rude by asking guests not to shop there but i hate the cash only gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Yup - very bad isnt it! And like the girl who's getting married isnt exactly law-de-daw nor does she have a massive posh lifestyle. She's just a general run of the mill girl with a down to earth fella so where they get their airs and graces i'l never know! Mad isnt it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I think it's a bit much saying no Karen Millen or Coast at weddings. If they don't want people wearing the same dresses as the bridesmaids, then they should tell their guests what colour dress the bridesmaids will wear so that nobody ends up getting the same thing.

Also, on the "cash only" on invites ... I don't think that's that cheeky ... It is normal to give presents at a wedding and I would rather give someone cash than pay the equivalent amount for some present that they might never use. A lot of couples these days already live together and have all their household things. I'd rather see my present going towards something the couple want to buy after than deciding on what they should have and let it sit in a box and gather dust!

And yes, weddings these days do cost a lot and sometimes it helps out the bride & groom financially to get cash rather than an actual present. Anyway that's my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

i don't get why a bride would give a ****e if two people turned up wearing the same dress though. at least you could get your dress in coast and not worry about anyone else wearing it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I think that the 'no coast dresses' thing has become the norm in recent times. We were discussing this at work and someone told me that her friend had written 'This wedding has cost us a lot of money, so cash presents only' only it was put in a much more rude way.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

xzanti wrote: »
    :eek:

WHAT?? :confused: I know what I'd do with them lol... "Sorry I'm washing my hair that day" :cool:
    janeybabe wrote: »
    I think that the 'no coast dresses' thing has become the norm in recent times. We were discussing this at work and someone told me that her friend had written 'This wedding has cost us a lot of money, so cash presents only' only it was put in a much more rude way.

Why not send out invitations to purchase tickets to attend the wedding if they have that sort of attitude??

ffs they are supposed to be celebrating the happiest day of their lives :(

They sound like two kids doing their confirmation for all the cash they will collect on the day :confused:

nouggatti wrote: »
    Why not send out invitations to purchase tickets to attend the wedding if they have that sort of attitude??

They sound like two kids doing their confirmation for all the cash they will collect on the day :confused:

Yeah it's ridiculous. No one is forcing them to spend loads of money on the wedding or event to buy the bridesmaid dresses in Coast or Karen Millen!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I think it's innocent enough in that they just don't want people to turn up wearing the same dress.

Cash only presents, however, is appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Pythia wrote: »
    I think it's innocent enough in that they just don't want people to turn up wearing the same dress.

Cash only presents, however, is appalling.

I couldn't disagree more. There are more shops that Coast and Karen Millen in the country and ordering guests not to shop there is no guarantee that two people won't wear the same thing. Also why one earth would any bride and groom give a damn?
    To be honest I've gotten really really anti wedding of late as more and more brides are behaving like divas and everyone is scared that if they don't toe the line the bride will throw her toys out of her pram in a tantrum. People get married to make a commitment to each other because they love each other. Its not about how many thousands you spend on your dress, where you have your wedding, where you go on honeymoon, what your guests wear, what they give you as a present etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Weddings are just getting vile.
    A lot of people forget the day is supposed to be about celebrating with the people you love, not showing off and making yourself into a superior being.

kizzyr wrote: »
    Also why one earth would any bride and groom give a damn?

Because a lot of people get bridesmaid dresses in Coast or Karen Millen and don't want guests to wear the same dress. Really though, if they insist on doing so, they could maybe give the name or style number of the dress to the guests and ask them to avoid that particular one.

Still, it's a bit ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Meh, the invite doesn't specify whether or not pants are required... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

We were broke and in debt when we got married but didn't
    ask for money,

We did get some money,some lovely presents and some brutal presents
    (ainsley butterfly peanut dish):eek:

Now that time has passed i love looking at the things around the house that we recieved and the memories of the people who gave them becaue some of them have since died.

My regal cat eats her dinner off the ainsley:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

That is UNBELIEVABLE! How disgusting are weddings getting? WHO CARES if your guests are wearing the same thing, honestly, WHAT DOES IT MATTER! (sorry I'm shouting)

Not only are brides now dictating what their 'guests' (if you could call them that) can wear, they're also stating what presents to bring! (I have heard of an invitation stating "no cash gifts less than 150")

The newest fad is to get your engagement ring 'upgraded' if you think the original wasn't bling enough, or didn't make you look elite enough.

What happened to a bit of appreciation and graciousness these days? All I hear is 'I want, I want, I want'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

People are forgetting the true meaning of marriage. Brides are turning in to monsters. It's sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

nouggatti wrote: »

Ha, how about it! I don't know about Ireland, but in the states it's become common for people to say no children are allowed at the reception. That always broke my heart because my little brothers had to sit out several family weddings. They do it to save money; personally, I'd rather have a less fancy wedding where everyone was welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Yeah it's common to do that here to. Can't say I disagree with it though ... it's an adult celebration, and tripping over kids and listening to them screaming when you've had a few is not fun :)

What I hate is guests bringing kids when they weren't invited in the first place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Ok, when I first read the no coast or karen millen dresses, I thought it was ridiculous, but I can sort of understand were the brides are coming from.
    There are better ways of going about it though! I would not put it on my wedding invite. I would rather ring every guest (even if the numbers were in the hundred's) and casually drop it into conversation.

If I seen the "cash only" thing on an invite, I would be disgusted and would seriously consider whether or not to bother my arse going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

If I saw the no Coast or Karen Millen Dress on the invite it would probably make me want to wear one of those dresses to the wedding even more so....and I would! As for the no money, they're gonna get a sh1t present if I get an invite with that written on it. The cheek!

Girls (and let's face it, it's mainly the women!) are forgetting what a wedding is all about. Everyone's turning in to big Diva's when they get married now, it's really sad. It's actually put me off ever wanting a big wedding, it won't be good enough anyway probably. I'm gonna feck off to an island somewhere and leave all that crap behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭miles teg

Would it be bad if the couple gave option of charity donation, travel voucher or cash? I'd prefer to give cash than go shopping for something useless... people already have everything these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

jesus thank god this doesn't happen for guys (or if it does, i haven't seen it).

if it said on a invite no x type of suit, i would actually shove the invite back at them and tell them to **** off, if they are going to be ignorant giving me an invite like that, i'll reply ignorantly back.

Advertisement