Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help on software development

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dave D

I'll just answer my own question encase anyone comes across this thread and wants to know too.
    The electives are gone now that there is no 3rd year networking course. So the two subjects we do are Data Structures & Algorithms and Wide Area Networking.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Hey guys,
    Just browsing the thread ,
    Im in 5 th yr right now and after picking my subjects im only wondering if not having physics would exclude me from doing games development in CIT because as far as i know its needed i dont know to what lvl tho.

Maths is all you need afaik. They teach you is as if you dont know anything so not having physics isnt gonna be the end of the world. Do what makes the work load easier on yourself.

C++ rules...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Dboy85 wrote: »
    C++ rules...:confused:

Yes it does :D

Pointers to objects and dynamic arrays are the new sex :cool:

• Advertisement

Have any of you developed anything for android? I'm thinking of developing a small game for that platform during the summer but havent done any research so far. Any tips or is it straight forward enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Warez Dispenser

Use the eclipse compiler.
    Know a bit of java.(see ebook)
    Download The Android Development Tools (ADT) plugin for Eclipse

try this ebook to get you started...
    http://hotfile.com/dl/69315000/ad4931f/androiddevelop.rar.html

:D

For anyone thats following the tread the material for second year is:

Animation:
    Blender is the software package they use in college for modelling. You'll be doing basic stuff like rigging and skinning aswel as keyframing. The software isnt industry standard but has everything you'll need to grasp the concepts. It also has its own game engine inbuilt. Its free to download legally too. Blender.org
    Physics:
    Craic starts here really, all about mechanics and newtons laws. The lectures can be a bit heavy but I didnt do physics at leaving cert level. Its still entirely doable. The labs put into practice the formulas and easier to learn this way through trial and error. Plus Dirmuid O Sea does tutorials so yer laughin.
    Programming:
    All c++ this year and is compared and contrasted with c# throughout so the step is gradual. The labs also help. It should come easy cos lets face it your trainning to be a programmer.
    3D graphics and Audio:
    Does what it says on the tin really. An introduction to opengl and rendering techniques. Projects keep you interested and help you learn.
    Game Engineering:
    Should be called software engineering, This subject teaches object oriented design and design process' such as the unified process. Also introduces Uml to help with design. Would of been useful in first year :rolleyes:
    Human Computer Interaction:
    Pete!! A lot about user interface and user interface design. Lab work is mostly to do with flash and consist of making a flash website for yourself to aid in finding employment.

The work load in first year was more intense for me as I had to learn programming from the start and re introduce myself to education. Once your in the learning mode with an open mind, espically in physics, you'll be grand.
    Onwards and upwards eh!

Hope this helps.

I'm looking for industry work for the summer be it in a games development environment or a software house. Any of you out there already in employment that can do a fellow peer a turn by finding me placement, *cough RedXIV cough cough*? I would be eternally grateful m'lords.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Should have sent me a PM :p would have gotten here sooner :)

I can put you in contact with the HR reps of the companies I know? Can't guarantee work though?

• Advertisement

Your inbox is usually full of love messages thats why :rolleyes: Yeah any help you can give me at all man would be great. I'm not having much success even for voluntary work experience. Cant give myself away :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭RedXIV

well do you want
    1. Game Development work?
    2. Software development work?
    3. Games industry related work?

Obviously the first would suit you the best but by far the hardest to get into. the only ones I know of are popcap games in dublin and open emotion games in limerick

If you want any software dev work, we'd have a bit more choice but less game ties on your CV but it'll keep your skills sharper

and then we come to the last, my speciality which is any games work that isn't dev work.

Any in particular you would prefer me to look into?

Well in a perfect world:

1) Games development placement but like you said hard to get. I sent an email to pop cap and a few others but not the response I was hoping for. They Just took on a junior but said if a spot opened I'd be welcome. A few other small firms said they'd need me to have a bit more experience for work experience :confused: But at least I'm getting a response.

2) Software dev firms: I'd take this gladly too, just as much as a game dev role. Its still industry experience and it would broaden my knowledge which is always a good thing. I sent a few emails but no response :o

3) Games industry...I'm making android apps/games from home aswell as starting a basic Physics engine. I'm also making a Football Manager type game for the PC. I've gotten a few testing roles lined up by Gerry Maloney in the IT in the coming weeks but I'd like something full time.

All in all I'll take anything that I can put on my C.V but would jump at a full time role as I can work away on projects in my own time.

I take it theres no interest then? I've taken on some contract work to keep me busy so if anyone wants anything developed give me a hollar. In the mean time if anyone comes across a suitable work experience role please PM me.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭J98

I know this is such a old thread but whos better to ask then a bunch of people who done Software Development in IT Carlow, I got Software Development in WIT but didnt take it as I wanted to do a plc in CarlowIFE in Software Development and go onto the IT after as I was only 10 points of Software Development in Carlow which seems like one of the best ITs to do software development from my research anyway. I just want to know how was it getting employment after the course was it difficult? did any of you ever find yourself not getting a job over someone who done Computer Science in a University even if you had a better coding ability then them? Hopefully here back of someone. Thanks very much.

J98 wrote: »
    I know this is such a old thread but whos better to ask then a bunch of people who done Software Development in IT Carlow, I got Software Development in WIT but didnt take it as I wanted to do a plc in CarlowIFE in Software Development and go onto the IT after as I was only 10 points of Software Development in Carlow which seems like one of the best ITs to do software development from my research anyway. I just want to know how was it getting employment after the course was it difficult? did any of you ever find yourself not getting a job over someone who done Computer Science in a University even if you had a better coding ability then them? Hopefully here back of someone. Thanks very much.

If you enjoy the course and develop in your own time, that translates to a portfolio of sorts which shows a willingness/desire to work.
    Employers/Recruiters imo look for that to set you apart from someone who just studies and puts B.Sc. on their C.V.

The market is still crying out for developers so if you stand out in any way you'll get your start regardless of what course you do. Knuckle down for the 2 year PRIOR to intern placement in 3rd year and land yourself in Microsoft/SAP/Google etc. Lots of doors open from there.

It's a good career with a lot of diversity, you've made a good choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭J98

Thanks very much for your reply very helpful, looking forward to start studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DarrenDev

Started today myself studying Games Development. Don't know a single person in college.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

DarrenDev wrote: »
    Started today myself studying Games Development. Don't know a single person in college.

as someone who has done his (and others) fair share of first years, dont worry about it. that won't last long.

DarrenDev wrote: »
    strelok wrote: »
    as someone who has done his (and others) fair share of first years, dont worry about it. that won't last long.

Get a kitty together there I'll go for a beer with yis :)

I was lucky enough to be from Carlow but I have seen and made friends that last a lifetime. It's been said on this thread before about choosing the right people to get in with. There is a high drop out rate in Computer science courses. Some who feel they have chosen the wrong course but 90% of the time due to being a piss head or WoW junkie. That's fine, life goes on, but if you want to do well surround yourself with people of the same mentality.

Don't mean to bang on like some auld lad but that was the advice I was given and I've done pretty well from that college from taking the advice I found here.

• Advertisement

unless you happen to be a pisshead yourself, in which case try to find someone clever to leech off

Dboy85 wrote: »
    Get a kitty together there I'll go for a beer with yis :) QUOTE]

I don't drink but i'll take you up on that offer.

J98 wrote: »
    Thanks very much for your reply very helpful, looking forward to start studying.

you're doing software dev right? don't suppose you've seen the timetable in the college? bloody thing still isn't online.

Yeah, what is the story with the time tables? I'm not sure where I am or what time tomorrow.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Timetables are usually not up right away, its been that way for years now as they're usually not finalised until the 2nd week after you start. If you know where your School office is (Computers & Networking I would imagine), then you can find a provisional timetable close to or outside of it, if not, then go to main reception either today or in the morning and find out where it is. We were required to be in by 9am on the first day anyway for orientation (not the same area of study, but a lot of courses will be in at 9).

Advertisement