Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm reading Children of Time on the strong recommendations of this thread and at 15% in I like it a lot.

Started listening to the first book in the Stormlight Archives this morning on Audible and have to say I found the start of it a bit cheesy. Maybe I'm just going through a phase where fantasy doesn't do it for me as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'm reading Children of Time on the strong recommendations of this thread and at 15% in I like it a lot.

Started listening to the first book in the Stormlight Archives this morning on Audible and have to say I found the start of it a bit cheesy. Maybe I'm just going through a phase where fantasy doesn't do it for me as much.

Read "the traitor Baru Cormorant", that might change your mind :D

Read "the traitor Baru Cormorant", that might change your mind :D

I intend to. To be fair I've gone a little further in the Way of Kings and it's starting to work a bit more for me.

Just finished my biannual spin through the Chronicles of Amber during the week. It actually never gets old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

First and Only wasn't bad but it just never grabbed my attention, don't think I'll continue with the series.
    Rosewater by Tade Thompson was interesting, I'll get around to reading the sequel at some stage.
    I'm now reading The Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling. I picked up after seeing it described as Sci-Fi/Horror. It is not. So far it is an uneventful, boring description of wandering around a cave. And I'm 2/3rds of the way through so I'm not expecting it to change. Struggling to finish it.

Finished listening to Oathtbinger by Brandon Sanderson. It was so long, and so boring. Some of the worst characters I've ever read (I'm looking at you Shalan). The first two books were slow but the finales were good enough to make up for it. Not so in this one, it's really put me off Sanderson now.
    Also listened to The Narrows by Travis M. Riddle. It's kind of a Stranger Things lite with older protagonists. It reads like the author self-edited it and used a thesaurus in places. It just doesn't seem natural.
    Finally, listening to Red Sister by Mark Lawrence. The narrators voice for the main character is a terrible Irish accent, but other than that I'm really enjoying it so far. Seems like it will be a standard story of gifted pupil in special school, but we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

What are some good dystopian sci fi/spec fiction books you can recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

What are some good dystopian sci fi/spec fiction books you can recommend?
    The Vagrant; very slow to start but you don't really get much more dystopian either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Nody wrote: »
    The Vagrant; very slow to start but you don't really get much more dystopian either.

Reading it at the moment and liking it. Reminds me of the old Conan short stories by Robert E Howard and that's not a bad thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Finished Children of Ruin which was awesome and read Becky Chambers' new novella To be taught, if fortunate which while short felt like a real return to form after the last of the Wayfarers trilogy. Currently a couple of chapters into Pinion by Elizabeth Bear which I'm finding a bit hit and miss but will stick with for awhile. Have Empire in Black and Gold on the kindle as well so may end up jumping to that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

smacl wrote: »
    Finished Children of Ruin which was awesome and read Becky Chambers' new novella To be taught, if fortunate which while short felt like a real return to form after the last of the Wayfarers trilogy. Currently a couple of chapters into Pinion by Elizabeth Bear which I'm finding a bit hit and miss but will stick with for awhile. Have Empire in Black and Gold on the kindle as well so may end up jumping to that.

I hadn't realised she had a novella out, and good to hear it's an improvement. Record of a Spaceborn Few was a tedious slog (as it happens, would have probably itself been better as a novella), and worried her spark had disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Finished The Traitor Baru Cormorant today, well I usually plough through the last couple of chapters in a book because Ive seen it all before and know whats coming but lets just say I was straight onto The Monster Baru Cormorant after that!

I finished Traitor on my old knackered Kobo Glo HD and moved on to Monster on my new Kobo Forma by the way, it is borderline perfection as far as ebook reading goes, the most comfortable e-reading experience you can get imo:

hUhtzTV.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Thargor wrote: »
    Finished The Traitor Baru Cormorant today, well I usually plough through the last couple of chapters in a book because Ive seen it all before and know whats coming but lets just say I was straight onto The Monster Baru Cormorant after that!

I finished Traitor on my old knackered Kobo Glo HD and moved on to Monster on my new Kobo Forma by the way, it is borderline perfection as far as ebook reading experiences go, the most comfortable e-reading experience you can get imo:

What are the kobo book stores like? I've got so much from amazon at this stage.

batgoat wrote: »
    What are the kobo book stores like? I've got so much from amazon at this stage.
    I dont know sorry, I never use Amazon or Kobo stores I hate being tied to an ecosystem like that, Amazon arent going anywhere but places like Kobo could be gone in the morning, look at Barnes and Noble going bankrupt every year, bet anyone who had their collection in the Nook ecosystem is feeling a bit nervous now, I keep my collection of about 1000 epubs with all the security stripped out in a folder in Google Drive and manage the library with Calibre. I do the same thing with my music collection, again no trust Ill always have access to services/servers.

If most of your stuff is on Amazon I doubt you'll be moving to a new system tbh.

keane2097 wrote: »

A bit red faced about this, really enjoying it now about halfway through and fairly sure I'll be using an Audible credit on the next one as soon as I'm done!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Recently finished "Vortex" by Robert Charles Wilson, the third book in his Spin trilogy. Found this disappointing - the writing is bland and the story never really kicks off and peters to a fairly dull conclusion with the exception of the final chapter which shows something far more epic that had potential for a better book but is instead condensed into one big info dump.

An improvement was "The Borders of Infinity" by Lois McMaster-Bujold, a Vorkosigan novella. As ever it's very well written, witty and intelligent. A good fun "prison breakout" read.

Now I'm reading "Caine's Law" by Matthew Stover, the fourth and final book in his "The Acts of Caine" series. 20% in and it's.. a little weird. No straight forward adventure like in the last installment - it's gotten quite philosophical and there appears to be an element of time loops. Curious to see where it goes none the less.

I'm also 53% into "The Goblin Emperor" by Katherine Addison. This so far is very well written and really captures a sense of loneliness and isolation under the burden of rule. While it's intentional, I do find some of the namings and titles used a little OTT - osmer this, osmin that - that it can be a little bit too confusing. Still Addison appears to be a strong writer and it's definitely an interesting world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ixoy wrote: »
    Recently finished "Vortex" by Robert Charles Wilson, the third book in his Spin trilogy. Found this disappointing - the writing is bland and the story never really kicks off and peters to a fairly dull conclusion with the exception of the final chapter which shows something far more epic that had potential for a better book but is instead condensed into one big info dump.

An improvement was "The Borders of Infinity" by Lois McMaster-Bujold, a Vorkosigan novella. As ever it's very well written, witty and intelligent. A good fun "prison breakout" read.

Now I'm reading "Caine's Law" by Matthew Stover, the fourth and final book in his "The Acts of Caine" series. 20% in and it's.. a little weird. No straight forward adventure like in the last installment - it's gotten quite philosophical and there appears to be an element of time loops. Curious to see where it goes none the less.

I'm also 53% into "The Goblin Emperor" by Katherine Addison. This so far is very well written and really captures a sense of loneliness and isolation under the burden of rule. While it's intentional, I do find some of the namings and titles used a little OTT - osmer this, osmin that - that it can be a little bit too confusing. Still Addison appears to be a strong writer and it's definitely an interesting world.

just read a thread on reddit yesterday about the goblin emperor and its confusing names!
    i must pick it up

Yeah I got excited by that Spin series when I found it but ultimately a bit flat like you say. Loved the
    Martian colonization
    stuff in it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Finished Arm of the Sphinx by Bancroft which I liked .I intend to continue the series and order part 3.

Although the next one has been sitting on my shelf since it came out I am only regretfully getting to it now. About 120+ pages into Sharpe Ends By Joe Abercrombie and enjoying it big time.Lots of LOL moments for me especially "The Fool Jobs". Great little short stories all of which I have enjoyed so far. Its a nice reminder and lead up to Abercrombies new upcoming release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

bluewolf wrote: »
    just read a thread on reddit yesterday about the goblin emperor and its confusing names!
    i must pick it up

God, what a brilliant book. Highly recommend it to anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'm reading the Ember Blade by Chris wooding atm. A pretty slow start to it and I almost dropped it twice to go onto something interesting.

Then BOOM, it jumps into life and I've been up late the last two nights reading it, really enjoying it now.

Before that, I read the first few books of the Heir to the Crown series by Paul J. Bennett. Quite good, I thought, very easy reading but the story moves along at a brisk pace. Nothing exceptional, just a good story and sympathetic characters for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Glebee

Best Served Cold - Have to say it has me gripped from the start..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

Finished children of earth and sky (excellent) and then children of time (also very good.)

Now reading children of ruin. Anxious to finish it tbh, so that i can get on to the testaments. Had it with me in Luxembourg when i finished children of time so I moved on to it, if I had been in Ireland I might have just bought the testaments instead.

Atwood has written plenty of fantasy (or perhaps sci -fi I guess) that is well worth reading btw, don't recall seeing many references to her books in this thread. The flood trilogy is the most obvious (well most obvious after the handmaid's tale I guess) as well as the blind assassin. Any of her books are well worth reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Mother of Learning by Domagoj Kurmaic

"Zorian, a mage in training, only wanted to finish his education in peace. Now he struggles to find answers as he finds himself repeatedly reliving the same month. 'Groundhog Day' style setup in a fantasy world."

Stumbled across this self-published fantasy online. It combines a time loop with a well built fantasy world reminiscent of D&D. It's magical academy, but I didn't get a YA vibe from it which makes me happy.

There's a smattering of typos, particularly towards the end, but it's well written. Warning: there's 1-2 chapters left to be written. They are published on fictionpress & Royal Road approximately every 2-3 weeks. There will certainly be publishers interested if they haven't approached the author already.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Malazan Book 7

Fian wrote: »
    Finished children of earth and sky (excellent) and then children of time (also very good.)

Now reading children of ruin. Anxious to finish it tbh, so that i can get on to the testaments. Had it with me in Luxembourg when i finished children of time so I moved on to it, if I had been in Ireland I might have just bought the testaments instead.

Atwood has written plenty of fantasy (or perhaps sci -fi I guess) that is well worth reading btw, don't recall seeing many references to her books in this thread. The flood trilogy is the most obvious (well most obvious after the handmaid's tale I guess) as well as the blind assassin. Any of her books are well worth reading.

Margaret Atwood books are always well worth reading. I am reading The Testaments at the moment and enjoying it very much. It work both as a follow on to her original book of The Handmaid's Tale as well as the TV series. The Oryx and Crake books are excellent too as are The Blind Assassin, Cat's Eye, Bodily Harm, Alias Grace, etc.

Margaret Atwood books are always well worth reading. I am reading The Testaments at the moment and enjoying it very much. It work both as a follow on to her original book of The Handmaid's Tale as well as the TV series. The Oryx and Crake books are excellent too as are The Blind Assassin, Cat's Eye, Bodily Harm, Alias Grace, etc.

For those who like Margaret Atwood books and/or The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret is interviewed later tonight on BB2 at 11.

One month to go until the end of the Lightbringer series, I thought it would be next year at least:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30169100-the-burning-white

It has its stupid bits,
    like that utterly nauseating subplot about his wife being too tight for his cock
    , what in the name of feck was he thinking there? But overall I liked this series a lot, if anyone sees a good series recap between no and then please link it.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

I know this is scifi fantasy , but any recommendations of a good Horror I loved king when I was younger and thinking about reading his new one . Any recommendations will be appreciated

Bright Steel by Miles Cameron (part 3 )
    About 80 pages in and enjoying it a ton.This is a real page turner and I am savoring every page.Hope the ending lives up to all that has gone before.
    very war come down to the flash of bright steel.Even when the air is full of magic . . .
    Aranthur and his friends have come together across different continents and realms with one purpose: to strike back against the forces which have torn a hole in the heavens and threaten to tear the world beneath them apart as well.

I know this is scifi fantasy , but any recommendations of a good Horror I loved king when I was younger and thinking about reading his new one . Any recommendations will be appreciated

I have read a lot of King in the past and even have a couple of his newest on my shelf of shame. Robert McCammon has a similar style to King IMO and his books Swan Song ,Wolfs Hour and Stinger are all worth a read.

If your into trying something epic in breadth.

I would recommend the Necroscope series (the first seven) by Brian Lumley.Its a oldie but a great read IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

I abandoned children of ruin and read the testaments. Couldn't wait to finish children of ruin. Have restarted that now.

Was a good decision tbh, teh testaments is very good. It probably doesn't quite live up to the internal hype I had going on for it, but that is a reflection on my attitude to it more than a reflection on the book. Well worth a read.

anyway back to children of ruin now.

Advertisement