Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you report posts?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Nope, I think it's low and unbecoming,the actions of a real lickarse.I have had people insult me here in a clear breach of the forum rules,but they're just words.No need to run to someone else,very cowardly imo.

Truth is also that I no longer really converse or argue with people that do,it's like fighting with one hand tied behind your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Have reported a few abusive/aggressive ones. Death threats against the mods and that. The scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Certainly. It's what separates people that are helpful from people that would just stand there and look at some crime taking place but not reporting it because they don't "snitch"..
    Tbh, I don't understand the "never have, never will" attitude. Why would someone brag about that? Weird.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Yes because boards.ie is free to use but might not be if they have to face a lot of expensive legal actions. So whenever I see something potentially defamatory I report it so that boards.ie doesn't get sued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

Only in the dome, to rot peoples socks. Not out in open waters. Ok, somtimes if it's a domer out in the waters asking for sock rotting, but otherwise no. It's reprehensible. It can also be quite funny, depending on the post, and the poster.. you can almost hear the screams of raaaagge.

I'll remember that when you return. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,806 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Is it not just more work for mods if people are whining about other posters all the time?

No not at all - it helps mods, particularly on busy forums and if people are abusing it they get an infraction or ban

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I've reported many of the spam ones that appear from time to time. The ones offering 'dress too sexy for my sister' etc

I have punched the screen really hard though at one or two personal comments directed towards me. I take care of my own fights

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

BNMC wrote: »
    I never have and never will.

Some people just want to watch the world burn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

It is a well known fact that tell tale tattlers purchase penny rattlers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Yes. Usually not in an argument I'm part of unless it's a blatant insult.

You report posts that weren't aimed at you?
    I have to say that's a little odd. I personally wouldn't bother reporting anything, even if it was aimed at me, but aimed at someone else? No - Just mind your own god damn business!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I've been infractured numerous times for silly things, like calling someone an idiot or saying the word bigot. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I've been infractured numerous times for silly things, like calling someone an idiot or saying the word bigot. :rolleyes:

That's obviously because a mod thought it was inappropriate. Whether or not it was reported wouldn't really have had an effect on that.

It's the equivalent of 'squealing' at school

And even in my mid-thirties, I am adamant on NOT being a squealer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

That's obviously because a mod thought it was inappropriate. Whether or not it was reported wouldn't really have had an effect on that.

Perhaps - but feels like I'm on a forum for little kids, at times, with the way things are nanny'd. -.-;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I've just reported everyone on this thread to be on the safe side.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It's the equivalent of 'squealing' at school

And even in my mid-thirties, I am adamant on NOT being a squealer

That's a rather childish attitude tbh.

I don't get how giving a mod a heads up about something is bad or why it would be looked down on. I mean, the likelihood is if the post requires action a mod will action the post regardless of whether it's reported or not, reporting just makes it easier and speeds up the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

A few but mostly spam crap and people concerned about their sister's sexiness, usually those threads are locked in a few mins anyway. Some people take the piss with reporting though

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Occasinally. I don't see many that bad, though, to be honest. Which probably means someone somewhere is doing a decent job.

It would be interesting to seewhat happene to reported posts, how many there are and so on.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    That's a rather childish attitude tbh.

I don't get how giving a mod a heads up about something is bad or why it would be looked down on. I mean, the likelihood is if the post requires action a mod will action the post regardless of whether it's reported or not, reporting just makes it easier and speeds up the process.

It was tongue-in-cheek

Chill

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It was tongue-in-cheek

Chill

My bad. :o

Sorry, it's early (for me). :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I don't but if I saw something that made my blood boil I would! No problem at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I've reported plenty of posts, and will do if they seem to be breaking rules. Nobody on the site deserves personal abuse, whether they can handle it or not, so why not report them?

Aside from that, the mods aren't omnipresent, they do a lot of work for the site so it'd be nice if people forgot about the 'omg I'm not squealing' attitude and actually gave them a helping hand now and then. If boards became a free for all, full of personal abuse and spam, I'd imagine the userbase would decline rapidly. Plus, for things like personal abuse, the Thunderdome is available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    I've reported plenty of posts, and will do if they seem to be breaking rules. Nobody on the site deserves personal abuse, whether they can handle it or not, so why not report them?

Aside from that, the mods aren't omnipresent, they do a lot of work for the site so it'd be nice if people forgot about the 'omg I'm not squealing' attitude and actually gave them a helping hand now and then. If boards became a free for all, full of personal abuse and spam, I'd imagine the userbase would decline rapidly. Plus, for things like personal abuse, the Thunderdome is available.

Don't send all the muck our way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Report posts is a strike to the heart of evil.

Break the silence.

Who's with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I can never figure out what rules or interpretation of the rules the Mods have decided to use this week, so it's hard to know when to report a post. And then there's a 100 set of rules for a 100 different forums. Zero consistency and rules made up on the spot.

And when you do report something, you never hear anything back. Hell they never even contact you when it's your post that's been moderated.

Saying that, I have and would report posts for bullying/flaming/annoying spam/shilling etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

You report posts that weren't aimed at you?
    I have to say that's a little odd. I personally wouldn't bother reporting anything, even if it was aimed at me, but aimed at someone else? No - Just mind your own god damn business!

Except forums don't work like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Reported for reporting
    Do you want to report you, or shall I?

Ah go on, I'll let you do it this time;)

I report people for being funny.
    I dont see why mods should miss out on a rare moment of humour just cos they are tied up tying people up in the boards dungeon.

Isn't that one of the main functions of the reporting function:confused:

Advertisement