Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Took my dashcam out of the car a good few weeks ago and almost regretted it this evening, nearly had a head on collision with a van in Dundalk which would have been my fault without video evidence.

We were face on at a crossroads, me indicating right, him indicating right. Lights went green and he goes straight through the junction instead, with me about to turn across him. Screeching tyres, he missed me by inches. Would have been my word against his and he would have won.

Sticking it back in asap!

I don't think it's complete his fault as trusting someone's indicators implicitly is never a smart move, pretty sure you are warned about it in preparation for your test but I could be wrong. Anyway off topic, done a similar thing we're I forgot to put it in the other day and a corpo lorry ran into a T junction without stopping as I was going straight through, taxi coming the other way slammed the brakes and swerved almost ending up on the pavement, my teenage daughter was all up for chasing him down, I was too busy checking my pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Those vids are shocking. From what I see, most could have been avoided if they where driving at the appropriate speed.

What are the cops doing over there?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

the speed at which they drive through junctions is mad,
    and especially when they have a line of traffic on their left, and a blind junction up ahead, madness.

I have a blackvue and wouldn't be without it.

karltimber wrote: »
    and especially when they have a line of traffic on their left, and a blind junction up ahead, madness.

Can you get a suction cup for the blackvue. I use a delivery van all day , but I need to empty it every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

karltimber wrote: »

A lot of it is down to road design I'm guessing, way too many large junctions without lights is recipe for disaster, not to mention pedestrian crossings stretching across 3 lanes of traffic with no lights either. The reason for traffic lights at large junctions are because people cannot be trusted to take turns at a junction. This is obvious if you've ever come across a light controlled junction with the lights broken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

rizzodun wrote: »
    A lot of it is down to road design I'm guessing, way too many large junctions without lights is recipe for disaster, not to mention pedestrian crossings stretching across 3 lanes of traffic with no lights either. The reason for traffic lights at large junctions are because people are insufficiently educated how to take turns at a junction. This is obvious if you've ever come across a light controlled junction with the lights broken.

FYP :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

No idea what he was doing, or what he expected me to do. He pulled alongside and stopped to give me evils?! pacman.gif

Obviously he wanted me to drive on the wrong side of the road as well as him........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

bear1 wrote: »
    In Poland, Germany, Lithuania they have that sequence.
    Italy, I believe France as well have the Irish sequence. I believe the States also have our sequence

In Denmark it's green, orange, red, but on the return it's red, red+orange and then green.

If I recall, it's the same in Germany actually.

Meaning, that if you go before it's green, you're actually crossing at red (the orange only tells you it's on the way to green).

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

AfterDusk wrote: »
    No idea what he was doing, or what he expected me to do. He pulled alongside and stopped to give me evils?! pacman.gif

Obviously he wanted me to drive on the wrong side of the road as well as him........

And on the phone, if i see correctly. This explain his problems with steering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

wonski wrote: »
    And on the phone, if i see correctly. This explain his problems with steering.

He's fumbling for first gear by the looks of it aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Marlow wrote: »
    In Denmark it's green, orange, red, but on the return it's red, red+orange and then green.

If I recall, it's the same in Germany actually.

Meaning, that if you go before it's green, you're actually crossing at red (the orange only tells you it's on the way to green).

/M

When I was in Berlin the sequence was red, orange and then green. Never saw the sequence you mentioned to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

AfterDusk wrote: »

That really winds me up, I see it a lot at the top of my road which is also a hill making it a blind corner. Some people completely cut the corner and then give you the stink for getting too close. WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

That really winds me up, I see it a lot at the top of my road which is also a hill making it a blind corner. Some people completely cut the corner and then give you the stink for getting too close. WTF?

Same thing going into my estate, cutting the corner and going too fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

hWXZq50.gif

Thought this was really good! At first glance it seems like the truck driver is not minding his driving and drifting across lanes, but then you see why he did it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

SV wrote: »
    Thought this was really good! At first glance it seems like the truck driver is not minding his driving and drifting across lanes, but then you see why he did it

If the truck done that on purpose to slow the car down then its "probably" the best driving I've seen in years ... Do Carlsberg do truck drivers? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

SV wrote: »

If the truck driver did that to slow you down - and I can't see why not as they'd have seen the accident long before you from the higher seat - then they deserve a medal for that. It was a beautiful bit of driving - cross into your lane enough to cause you to brake but not to crash, then get smoothly back out to avoid the stopped car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

If that was in Russia, the truck driver would have kept going across the lane....off the cliff and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Think the van was a bit late turning right here. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Not exactly a dash cam, but my stomach was in a knot watching this. I assume this selfish chap had a deathwish and wasn't simply elderly and confused.

Check out the swerving van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

A near miss - skip to 26 seconds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

One from tonight. They flashed like crazy after I passed.

(Apologies for cheap bad camera)

I guess they were doing about 20mph in overtaking lane of motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

WTF ? As well as driving in the overtaking lane at a dangerously low speed, he brakes when you passed him. :mad:

Oh and regarding the M50 video a couple of post back, would I be right in saying that the Polo was more in the wrong then the red van due to the van indicating in advance ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chippy01

kingtut wrote: »
    A near miss - skip to 26 seconds

The van clearly indicated it's intention, but what was wrong with the car? As soon as it's brake lights lit up it swerved into lane 2.
    Inattention and panic by the car driver would be my guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

Chippy01 wrote: »
    The van clearly indicated it's intention, but what was wrong with the car? As soon as it's brake lights lit up it swerved into lane 2.
    Inattention and panic by the car driver would be my guess.

I'm not so sure, the van clearly indicates but seems to stop indicating just after it starts crossing the dotted line, the car driver does panic a bit but then again you probably wouldn't expect the van to move into the middle lane. Inattention on both sides i'd say.

Nice camera btw, very clear picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Oh and regarding the M50 video a couple of post back, would I be right in saying that the Polo was more in the wrong then the red van due to the van indicating in advance ?

I recorded that video and yup I have to agree, the Polo was more to blame than the van driver although it didn't help that the van driver didn't keep their indicator on until they had finished their manouver.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭dantastic

kingtut wrote: »
    I recorded that video and yup I have to agree, the Polo was more to blame than the van driver although it didn't help that the van driver didn't keep their indicator on until they had finished their manouver.

It looks to me the van was still indicating (and a good bit into the middle lane) by the time the polo starter to move in. The van stopped indicating but that could have been a reaction to the polo coming in on top of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

The car's brake lights and indicator came on at the same time. Maybe they forgot that they were taking the next exit and tried to make a dash for it. The van didn't do a lot wrong. Indicators and brake lights at the same time in lane 3? Bad driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Gosub wrote: »
    The car's brake lights and indicator came on at the same time. Maybe they forgot that they were taking the next exit and tried to make a dash for it. The van didn't do a lot wrong. Indicators and brake lights at the same time in lane 3? Bad driving.

I doubt they 'forgot' they were exiting, more than likely they wanted to skip all the slower moving traffic and cut in at the last moment.

Also, putting their indicator on AS they were changing lane is a pointless exercise, they may as well have not bothered at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Caliden wrote: »
    I doubt they 'forgot' they were exiting, more than likely they wanted to skip all the slower moving traffic and cut in at the last moment.
    Happens all the time at this exit, the off ramp splits into two lanes quickly so you see alot of cars boot up the outside and try and cut in at the last second, it is a horrible turn due to the other road users. The roundabout at the bottom is full of equally idiotic half wits who pull out in front of traffic heading for Sandyford, twice I have seen cars pull out, panic and then slam on the brake, effectively blocking the third exit, one even tried to wave me around here while she stopped on the roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Came across this,nice calm reactions by the driver

fuppin hell, nice driving there

He could have stopped the car before the incident.

brokenarms wrote: »

How? I couldn't see there was an accident behind that bend.
    You can hear the the car constantly braking and the ground is wet.
    He did well to avoid that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

brokenarms wrote: »

Possibly, but he could have had someone up his 4rse. We can't see what's in his rear view mirror

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

I can't hear it, did he start adjusting speed when the brake lights come on at 10secs or did he wait till he could see the accident?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

AltAccount wrote: »
    I can't hear it, did he start adjusting speed when the brake lights come on at 10secs or did he wait till he could see the accident?

Sounds like only when he seen the 1st warning triangle, and just ignored the braking by the other car. Sounds like he clips the 2nd triangle and loses the back end. Did well to catch it though.

Poor form to ignore the other car braking, but did well to weave his way though it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

According to informations provided by driver, he just hit the triangle.

And there was black ice on top of the bridge.

I know that place, that's in my home city. :)

At 0.13 you can hear his brakes come on, I'm wearing headphones so I hear rumbling noises which sound like heavy braking.
    Plus I imagine that car started sliding due to the wetness as you can hear the car hitting the warning triangle.
    I stand by my opinion that it was some good driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

bear1 wrote: »
    How? I couldn't see there was an accident behind that bend.
    You can hear the the car constantly braking and the ground is wet.
    He did well to avoid that

The other guy managed to slow and stop in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Did well to hold it though he came a bit fast into the corner.

• Advertisement

Some lucky pedestrians at 0.40

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

God,got serious shivers at 2:59.

Does a red light mean something different in Russia? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Possibly one of the earliest Dash Cams ever, from 107 years ago in San Francisco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

mitosis wrote: »
    Does a red light mean something different in Russia? :eek:

Probably the same as here, going by the amount of drivers breaking lights here including a Dublin CIE bus flying through a late red narrowly missing the micra in front of me.

flazio wrote: »
    Possibly one of the earliest Dash Cams ever, from 97 years ago in San Francisco.

Awesome, thanks! Tram-cam.

Amazing to see cars sharing the streets with horses and horse drawn covered wagons. And there are so many trams, like two a minute :eek:

Watch out for:

Bailout @ 0.46
    Surprise! @ 1.02
    Surprise! 2 @ 1.13
    Confetti car @ 2.18
    James Bond @ 2.27

Anyone who encountered the high winds today might find this relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Anyone who encountered the high winds today might find this relevant.

Just as well youtube doesn't do smellavision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

ken wrote: »
    Just as well youtube doesn't do smellavision.
    Jebus. I nearly shat myself......and I'm at home in my kitchen.:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement