Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick City Forum Feedback Thread.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

On the site overall there are 2 mods I can think of that like the little power. To be honest your better off just ignoring it until they cop on that they are just the same as any user

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

This problem is not unique to the Limerick City forum, it occurs in others as well.

As far as I can see, there is a conflict of interest: mods can post and mods can mod.

I think there would be less confusion if mods moderated without posting.

Mods that actively post are a lot like a printing press that takes on the duty of censor - a dangerous combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I think they do a fair job, and there has been a good balance the last few months, with mods on here taking suggestions, ideas from posters in the Limerick City forum.

I think the thread the OP was referring to was an old (zombie) thread and its probably why it was closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

IBTL

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Mc Love wrote: »
    I think the thread the OP was referring to was an old (zombie) thread and its probably why it was closed.
    This was one of the biggest gripes from users about the old mod. Despite indications to the contrary the new moderators are just as bad.

If a thread is still relevant it shouldn't be locked, despite its age.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Icky Thump wrote: »
    why was the thread about the gardai ignoring a call closed??? obviously its a major issue which is ignored by someone with more power than brain cells.

If you start a thread like this again I will have no problem giving you a nice long holiday from the forum. There's a Feedback thread here for a reason. I've merged yours into it. In any other circumstance you'd have picked up a red card for back-seat modding, and another for personal abuse.
    the mods in the limerick forum are way too inconsistant. they shut everything they personally dont agree with.

No, we don't. We close threads when they breach charter rules, or when they deliberately fly against the spirit of the forum.
    i would name a certain mod who thinks he is a journo but that would be unfair. but he needs to cop on and stop thinking about his own views and start modding proper

You made this same accusation in a Help Desk thread last year. You were wrong then, and you're wrong now. One of our former mods studied journalism, but he has nothing at all to do with this. Get your facts straight before you post, because at this stage you're embarrassing yourself.
    and yes this is a limerick issue as its a local forum issue

is this something im paranoid about or is this a widespread issue???

It's your issue, not mine. I have no problem with Limerick issues being discussed here when it's done appropriately.
    please dont mention mod names as this is a not a thread to attack mods its a thread about the standard of modding here.

please no personal attacks

No personal attacks? No identifying mods? You've failed on both counts.

Like I said above, use this Feedback thread in future. If you want to talk to a mod privately about your concerns, send a PM.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Yes you have got balls my good man, the problem is there are to many moderators with self intrest on this site, if the mods can go do what they like its a pointless exercise for all who participate with posting and who mod ethically another words i agree. :pac:
    seanybiker wrote: »
    On the site overall there are 2 mods I can think of that like the little power. To be honest your better off just ignoring it until they cop on that they are just the same as any user

I know I'm the same as any other user, with one exception. I've been given a few extra tools to help maintain this forum so that posters can enjoy it.

Dragging up old threads to prove a personal point might entertain one poster, but it's not going to be of benefit to the wider user-base.

FISMA wrote: »
    This problem is not unique to the Limerick City forum, it occurs in others as well.

As far as I can see, there is a conflict of interest: mods can post and mods can mod.

I think there would be less confusion if mods moderated without posting.

Mods that actively post are a lot like a printing press that takes on the duty of censor - a dangerous combo.

If you'd like me to stop posting, you're going to be very disappointed. There are roughly 550 moderators volunteering to help out here in our own free time. We all started out as regular posters. We like to chat, to debate, to have fun, just like anyone else. The last thing we want to do is censor anybody. That would be counter-productive.
    Aidric wrote: »
    This was one of the biggest gripes from users about the old mod. Despite indications to the contrary the new moderators are just as bad.

If a thread is still relevant it shouldn't be locked, despite its age.

Are you suggesting there should be one rule for Raiser and one for everyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

there is n old thread over in the fashion and appearance forum that is titled "mens flared jeans......help" now this thread is about the op looking for flared jeans(spoiler alert:D). now this thread is also going back awhile and hasnt been used in awhile. i posted on it yesterday. nothing happend to the thread and noone replied but the point is the subject was still relevant.

why start a new thread on the exact same topic. the problem is starting a new thread every time its sunny out means we say the exact same thing every time and the threads start repeating themselves.

as i said im not doing this to attack anyone personally or to start a witch hunt. alot of you will have an idea which lad we are referring to but it would be unfair to name him as he is just doing his job(that he gives his time to do for free). this thread is to highlight the growing unrest around here when it comes to modding.

the modding has gotten better yes but it is in no way good. im sorry but when even local events are being deleted just because a charity may be involved.

if this forum is only allowing people to post certain issues then why not clarify that once and for all and the people that come here to post other relevant issues can go elsewhere.

if anyone has any reasons why they think the modding is god or bad please post them here. i have made this issue known on the dispute resolution forum so the mods will be watching.

If you start a thread like this again I will have no problem giving you a nice long holiday from the forum. There's a Feedback thread here for a reason. I've merged yours into it. In any other circumstance you'd have picked up a red card for back-seat modding, and another for personal abuse.

i didnt think using the feedback thread would suffice as alot of people dont use it. i wanted more people to see it and aparantrly im not the only one here that feels this way. coincidence????

as for the red card fair enough if you think i deserve it.

i didnt however backseat mod anything. actually i cant think of anything that could be mistaken for backseat modding
    No, we don't. We close threads when they breach charter rules, or when they deliberately fly against the spirit of the forum.

you mean threads that stay on topic??? that are relevant to the forum???
    You made this same accusation in a Help Desk thread last year. You were wrong then, and you're wrong now. One of our former mods studied journalism, but he has nothing at all to do with this. Get your facts straight before you post, because at this stage you're embarrassing yourself.

am i embarrassing myself?? aparantrly im not the only one here that feels this way. coincidence????
    It's your issue, not mine. I have no problem with Limerick issues being discussed here when it's done appropriately.

its a limerick issue and not just mine. i feel like im repeating myself somehow. aparantrly im not the only one here that feels this way. coincidence????separator.gif
    No personal attacks? No identifying mods? You've failed on both counts.

Like I said above, use this Feedback thread in future. If you want to talk to a mod privately about your concerns, send a PM.

where did i mention anyones name. i have not stated any mods name because it would be inappropriate.

where was the personal attack??? i gave an idea who the mod was but im sure every poster on here knows exactly which mod as everyone seems to have the same view.....................aparantrly im not the only one here that feels this way. coincidence????separator.gif

i think the main problem sees to be nobody knows if a mod is wearing the mod hat when posting. as for the thread that was closed you know as well as anyone else the post was relevant.

any others questions feel free to respond. i dont mean to sound like a jerk i was just trying to see if i was being paranoid. kinda nice to see i wasnt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

ah please... we all know what reputation boards.ie mods have and where this forum has gone with all the over-PC'ness...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

This doesn't appear to be a feedback thread.
    Sorry to butt my nose in, but it seems to be just a few users who are looking for a personal spat between themselves and the moderators. Perhaps take it to PM, quit being vigilantes, and stop disputing the moderators. Its not like you have a god-given right to post here.

Anyway, my feedback - How about organizing a night out for all the Limerick boardsies? Could be a decent bit of craic, and an opportunity for a fundraiser, mayhaps?

roast wrote: »
    This doesn't appear to be a feedback thread.
    Sorry to butt my nose in, but it seems to be just a few users who are looking for a personal spat between themselves and the moderators. Perhaps take it to PM, quit being vigilantes, and stop disputing the moderators. Its not like you have a god-given right to post here.

Anyway, my feedback - How about organizing a night out for all the Limerick boardsies? Could be a decent bit of craic, and an opportunity for a fundraiser, mayhaps?

we are ot being vigilantes. we are annoyed that threads are closed on a wim.we are concerned that just because a thread doesnt suit the ethos of a mods personal feelings then it will be shut.

i didnt think it was feedback myself which is why it was started in a thread to see if this was a widespread issue which it seems to be.

its fair enough if you think there is no issue. in fact i would prefer if there was more people saying there wasnt an issue so it wouldnt seem so one sided. the last thing i want to do is seem like we are ganging up on anyone because it really wouldnt be fair.

by taking it to PM you run the risk of anything can be said and action can be taken secretly. at least airing the laundry in public everyone can see exactly what everyone else is posting.

as for the god given right to post. maybe not. but without posters where is the forum??

its nice to see adverts are on here. it means that it keeps the site alive. but without posters there would be no adverts.

to be fair i dont want the mods to be changed. thats not what im asking for. all im asking is for more transperacy. more leniency and just a bit more common sense when it comes to dealing with old threads.

thank you for your input on the matter though

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

If you'd like me to stop posting, you're going to be very disappointed. There are roughly 550 moderators volunteering to help out here in our own free time. We all started out as regular posters. We like to chat, to debate, to have fun, just like anyone else. The last thing we want to do is censor anybody. That would be counter-productive.

Are you suggesting there should be one rule for Raiser and one for everyone else?

You replied to a post earlier where the poster said he was not naming any mods saying he had failed in that intent, but just two posts later you yourself go ahead and name a single poster, singling him out.

Surely it is a bit rich to react to one guy who said something that did not leave much doubt, imho,it obvious as to who was meant by it, and then
    go and single out another poster who you made comment about in the last 24 hours?

If you did not like the way the first post was done, then you should not have singled out a poster yourself in your own post.

My next comment is not a dig at you as I have not had the same kind of interaction with you in your role of mod as the person I am going to comment on, but in terms of feedback to the mods/admins I would like to pay compliment to Clareman in his role as a mod in this forum. A few times I have questioned his closing of a thread (by PM) and he has always been good enough to listen to any arguement as to why the locked thread should be reopened. He is also great for giving his reasons by PM and will change his decision if the arguement is a valid one.

In terms of finding fault with the modding as a whole for the forum, the main problem I have is inconsistency and this is not a new thing. I just think that what is worth a yellow card one day is seen as not being any kind of offence the next day and that in itself can be a little frustrating.

Also the locking of threads with the excuse that the issue is a national one when the incident/issue being discussed happened in Limerick is a bit of a cop out when it gets done.I'm not on about the police thread but there have been a few locked threads in recent months that were locked for this reason and the advice given was to take it to After Hours. Now why anyone would take anything that happened in Limerick to After Hours to discuss is beyond me.

I do appreciate that modding can be a pain in the bum to do, and that it can be a thankless no win role at times, but not every complaining poster is out to cause hassle for a mod.

ah please... we all know what reputation boards.ie mods have and where this forum has gone with all the over-PC'ness...

What reputation are you talking about with regards to mods on Boards? I ask because for the most part across Boards the mods do a good job in my eyes.

As for things being overly PC in the Limerick city forum, well I think there is some truth there and I say that based on what the mods in forums like the Cork city and Galway city say can legally be said compared with what we are told can be said in the Limerick city forum.

The same law of the land applies across boards in terms of what can be said and what cannot be said, and if the admins tell the mods in those forums that certain things can legally be said then the same should apply in the Limerick forum.

Now this may not be done to the Limerick mods as they may be getting told stuff when they ask and the other mods may get different answers when they ask.

i didnt think using the feedback thread would suffice as alot of people dont use it. i wanted more people to see it and aparantrly im not the only one here that feels this way. coincidence????

am i embarrassing myself?? aparantrly im not the only one here that feels this way. coincidence????

its a limerick issue and not just mine. i feel like im repeating myself somehow. aparantrly im not the only one here that feels this way. coincidence????separator.gif

where was the personal attack??? i gave an idea who the mod was but im sure every poster on here knows exactly which mod as everyone seems to have the same view.....................aparantrly im not the only one here that feels this way. coincidence????separator.gif

You certainly are repeating yourself! Quite a lot. "More power than brain-cells", by the way, was the abuse that you didn't need to post.

So far four people have agreed with you.
    Three of them have 24 posts between them on the forum. Not exactly regular posters here. I prefer to take feedback on this forum from people who actually use it.

One regular poster has agreed with you in part. Make of that what you will.
    as for the red card fair enough if you think i deserve it.

i didnt however backseat mod anything. actually i cant think of anything that could be mistaken for backseat modding

You started a thread about moderation on the forum. That's back-seat modding. You're making up rules to suite yourself.

Have a quick read of the Charter. I'm perfectly happy to discuss the running of this forum. That can be done in this thread, or via PM. It's a very simple system, but you chose to ignore it.
    you mean threads that stay on topic??? that are relevant to the forum???

On topic? Yes. Zombie-thread? Also yes.
    where did i mention anyones name. i have not stated any mods name because it would be inappropriate.

I'll quote you again:
    i would name a certain mod who thinks he is a journo but that would be unfair. but he needs to cop on and stop thinking about his own views and start modding proper

Moving on...
    i think the main problem sees to be nobody knows if a mod is wearing the mod hat when posting.

I always make it clear when I'm posting as a mod. If you're ever unsure of my position, send me a quick PM and I'll tell you. That's what the function is there for. More communication => less misunderstanding.

Kess73 wrote: »
    You replied to a post earlier where the poster said he was not naming any mods saying he had failed in that intent, but just two posts later you yourself go ahead and name a single poster, singling him out.

Surely it is a bit rich to react to one guy who said something that did not leave much doubt, imho,it obvious as to who was meant by it, and then
    go and single out another poster who you made comment about in the last 24 hours?

If you did not like the way the first post was done, then you should not have singled out a poster yourself in your own post.

Icky Thump closed his OP by saying not to name names. I was pointing out the irony/hypocrisy of his attempt to identify a particular mod in the same post. If IT wasn't going to play by his own rules, then there was little point in entertaining them myself.
    My next comment is not a dig at you as I have not had the same kind of interaction with you in your role of mod as the person I am going to comment on, but in terms of feedback to the mods/admins I would like to pay compliment to Clareman in his role as a mod in this forum. A few times I have questioned his closing of a thread (by PM) and he has always been good enough to listen to any arguement as to why the locked thread should be reopened. He is also great for giving his reasons by PM and will change his decision if the arguement is a valid one.

No arguments with you there. Clareman is a top moderator.

I'd hope that people realise they can PM me as well. For some reason Icky Thump doesn't trust the PM system, so he started his ill-advised thread instead. I don't know why he thought that was a good idea. I've always tried to make myself as approachable as possible in this forum.

In terms of finding fault with the modding as a whole for the forum, the main problem I have is inconsistency and this is not a new thing. I just think that what is worth a yellow card one day is seen as not being any kind of offence the next day and that in itself can be a little frustrating.

I take numerous things into context when giving a card. A combination of different things can result in a yellow/red card. It's not an exact science.
    Also the locking of threads with the excuse that the issue is a national one when the incident/issue being discussed happened in Limerick is a bit of a cop out when it gets done.I'm not on about the police thread but there have been a few locked threads in recent months that were locked for this reason and the advice given was to take it to After Hours. Now why anyone would take anything that happened in Limerick to After Hours to discuss is beyond me.

Do you mean the Xtra-Vision thread? I can't think of any others that were closed with a similar message.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Well for what it is worth , here is my 2 cents worth.

I think that there is alot of inconsistency between the mods on boards.ie but I have not had this problem in the Limerick forum.

Clareman is a great mod very open to discuss his decisions and participates also.

Insect Overlord the same as far as I go always willling to discuss and engage with you, very helpful if you pm with a request.

Outside the limerick forum is where I had problems, something you could pm IO about or Clareman before you posted it was fine, no problem work away but other mods are very unhelpful.

The issue here though seems to be personality clashes more than anything, but i fully expect to be savaged for my opinion, which is unique to the limerick forum.

@ Overlord

im not going to go through your post and point out anything anymore as id prefer to try to keep it civil. yea prehaps the "brain cells" quipe could have been done without as this is a serious issue. maybe you dont feel it is. maybe everyone on here doesnt feel it is. and that is fair enough. that is what i wanted to see. afterall why cause hassle if its something only a small minority of "Not exactly regular posters" who feel this way. (by the way there was only one poster who had very little posts. but maybe you know something i dont)

do you not agree it would be worse to start a new thread on the same topic every day??

how long does a thread take to become a zombie thread?? if someone doesnt post for a month is it a zombie thread?? how about a week. a day. maybe an hour. im not trying to be an ass im just saying that just because someone hasnt posted in awhile why should it be considered a dead issue.

there has been people supporting what i am saying yes. whether they are regular posters or not everyone should be treated the same and listened to the same. afterall you did say there shouldnt be one rule for one and another rule for another(i edited that quote as im sticking to not naming names. again not trying to be a stickler mate).

people havent really been posting here this morning though so give it time im sure ill have even more support. by the way i have also recieved a couple of pms on the matter. people will not speak out in fear of a red card.

again i really have to ask your definition of back seat modding?? im sorry but even charter-wise. i just dont understand how i have back seat modded. i started a thread asking if im the only one who feels this way. it was an issue about the limerick forum. it transpires it is also an issue in a couple of others. im noit saying your bad or any other mod is bad. really believe it or not im not personally out to incite anything here.

as was pointed out your the only one who named anybody. i gave a description to see if we where talking about the same person.

also i understand you are a volunteer and you give your time to this. but nobody is forcing you(or any other mod) to do it. i have friends who work in bars, friends who do telesales, friends who work in call centres. at the end of the day if you dont like dealing with the customers then dont do it.

its a bad attitude to say you dont care about feedback from so called not regular users. at the end of the day they are still users.

and yes i repeated myself in the other post. emphasis.

I'd hope that people realise they can PM me as well. For some reason Icky Thump doesn't trust the PM system, so he started his ill-advised thread instead. I don't know why he thought that was a good idea. I've always tried to make myself as approachable as possible in this forum.

Well as I said I did not mean it as a dig or comment towards yourself as I am pretty sure I have not debated the closure of any thread by your hand with you, and as such I cannot criticize or praise you on it. I would just providing some feedback on the mod I have had dealings with and if I am to point out any negatives I see on the forum, then it is only right I point out the positives as well and I see him as a positive for the forum.

I take numerous things into context when giving a card. A combination of different things can result in a yellow/red card. It's not an exact science.

Again I did not mean just you in this. I was talking about the modding as a whole and taking in everyone who had modded in this forum over the last 12 months.

As for it not being an exact science, well of course not, but sometimes things get said by one person that seem to be worthy of a card as one gets given yet the same comment could be made another day by a different poster with no punishment. Now if the offence was worthy of a card one day then it has to be worthy the next day and it not being an exact science plays no part in that, it is done to consistency amongst the mods as a group.

For example if I decide to call another poster a jack off today during a heated debate over the merits of brown shoelaces and I don't get a card for it despite a mod being online, then how can a mod come along and give me a card the next time I call somebody else a jack off?

Do you mean the Xtra-Vision thread? I can't think of any others that were closed with a similar message

Nope I did not mean the Xtravision thread, but let's use that anyway. It involved the closure of a Limerick store meaning some Limerick jobs would be lost. I see no reason why such a thing cannot be discussed here, otherwise the discussion of any store closure that has branches elsewhere should not be allowed as it would also be a nationwide issue rather than a Limerick one. I just think that anything like that which has a direct impact in any way upon Limerick should be open to discussion here in the Limerick city forum.

I mean if Brown Thomas announced in the morning it was shutting all of it's stores, we cannot discuss it hear in the Limerick thread as it is a nationwide thing if we follow the logic of the Xtravision thread and a few older threads.

If it affects Limerick then it should be a topic that can be discussed here if people want to.

A good mod, for me, is the one who gives me a yellow card when I deserve one, but who has the guile to pm me and give me the chance to avoid that card.

A good poster, imho, is the one that sticks by his convictions in debate, even if that is not the more popular opinion, but who knows how to take mod advice when it is given.

• Advertisement

kilburn wrote: »
    Well for what it is worth , here is my 2 cents worth.

I think that there is alot of inconsistency between the mods on boards.ie but I have not had this problem in the Limerick forum.

Clareman is a great mod very open to discuss his decisions and participates also.

Insect Overlord the same as far as I go always willling to discuss and engage with you, very helpful if you pm with a request.

Outside the limerick forum is where I had problems, something you could pm IO about or Clareman before you posted it was fine, no problem work away but other mods are very unhelpful.

The issue here though seems to be personality clashes more than anything, but i fully expect to be savaged for my opinion, which is unique to the limerick forum.

Good point, and as someone who has had a few pointless spats with you, some more my fault than yours, I have to agree.

But it is not unique to the Limerick city forum though, I just think that there can be a bit of a clique or rather the perception of a clique in this forum at times.

If you wanted to see savaged opinions and stealth trolling, you should have been in the soccer forum before the recent, and much needed, mod/admin actions on a few things/posters.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

A clique?In here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

A clique?In here?

Never :confused:

(by the way there was only one poster who had very little posts. but maybe you know something i dont)

I just did a quick search to look at previous posts. Kess posts here a lot. FR.Ted had never posted on the Limerick City forum before. FISMA had posted here once. SeanyBiker had 20 posts here over the last 7 years before today. That's all I mean there, nothing sinister! :)
    do you not agree it would be worse to start a new thread on the same topic every day??

how long does a thread take to become a zombie thread?? if someone doesnt post for a month is it a zombie thread?? how about a week. a day. maybe an hour. im not trying to be an ass im just saying that just because someone hasnt posted in awhile why should it be considered a dead issue.

I do agree with you there. The problem is that that's not what's happening. A thread was dragged up after two years of inactivity. That's a long time on the Internet. If it was that important, a new thread would have been more appropriate.
    there has been people supporting what i am saying yes. whether they are regular posters or not everyone should be treated the same and listened to the same. afterall you did say there shouldnt be one rule for one and another rule for another(i edited that quote as im sticking to not naming names. again not trying to be a stickler mate).

I just think it's more appropriate to take forum-specific feedback from people who know the forum. Again, nothing sinister.

One of the failings of the Feedback forum is that a lot of people bear grudges against moderators. Instead of looking at each incident on its own merits, people come in and complain about mods in general. That's why the DRP forum was set up. It makes things even for both sides, because there's no scope for either side to gang up against the other.
    people havent really been posting here this morning though so give it time im sure ill have even more support. by the way i have also recieved a couple of pms on the matter. people will not speak out in fear of a red card.

This thread is here exactly for that reason. Posters should not be afraid of speaking their minds. Especially if they have honest, constructive feedback. Cards are saved for personal abuse and obvious trolling in this thread.
    again i really have to ask your definition of back seat modding?? im sorry but even charter-wise. i just dont understand how i have back seat modded. i started a thread asking if im the only one who feels this way. it was an issue about the limerick forum. it transpires it is also an issue in a couple of others. im noit saying your bad or any other mod is bad. really believe it or not im not personally out to incite anything here.

In a nut-shell:

The Limerick City forum is for discussing life in and around Limerick City.
    This thread is for discussing the forum.

sioda wrote: »
    Gonna ask the obvious question why do we have remove the stickys?

*drum-rolls*

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056305330

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Had a feeling this was why,I was expecting a app tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

I dont see why this new touch site needs less stickies and its too slow imo

sioda wrote: »
    I dont see why this new touch site needs less stickies and its too slow imo

Pass that feedback onto the developers, either in the thread I linked above or in the one in Site Development.

Advertisement